Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] SMT: Persona 3 (The RPG to keep talking about, since :awesome:) Now with more PEZ.

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:15 AM #101 of 556
I haven't been spending much time with the MMO but some of the dialog from it is insane. LMAONADE.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:02 PM #102 of 556
I'm only about two hours in.

This game is fucking great!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:58 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2007, 12:58 PM #103 of 556
Regarding Tartarus...
Spoiler:
You may think it's monotonous, but bear in mind that it's basically training sessions. The real deal is every Full Moon. That is where storyline kicks back in =d I'm mad right now because I cleared the first block, went in to the second, and got my ass CLOBBERED. Plus I didn't save for a few days prior to that, so I had to re-go through stuff. I don't wanna fight that armored boss again but oh well ;_; Any advice on how to survive in Block 2?

FELIPE NO
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 01:21 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2007, 08:21 PM #104 of 556
Just started playing as well, everything is cool so far.

The only thing I was annoyed with was the extremely long introduction phase in the beginning. It's basically one hour of dialogue before you even get to wander around on your own.

Most amazing jew boots
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 01:45 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2007, 08:45 PM #105 of 556
Tips wanted.

Spoiler:
How do I make my characters less fatigued? I can barely make it to the 3rd or 4th floor on the first block without them getting fatigued

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 01:52 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2007, 01:52 PM #106 of 556
I avoid fights, or keep going. If you're grinding, just leave once two folks are fatigued. If you're hoping to hit a floor-multiple of 5, then dodge monsters =o

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 01:56 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2007, 08:56 PM #107 of 556
Yeah, that fatigue thing is shaping up to be extremely annoying.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 02:47 PM #108 of 556
It gets a lot better the farther you progress in the game. I just did went up 12 floors (boss progression is like every 10 floors now it seems...) and none of my character got fatigued.

Most amazing jew boots
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 03:35 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2007, 12:35 PM #109 of 556
So I finally got my hands on the game and while I don't have much time to play, I'm... so in love with the packaging. Atlus went all-out with this shit.

I mean... a hardcover artbook included? GOOD LORD, I CAME.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 06:32 PM #110 of 556
The drinks are my favorite part of the translation so far. Some of the descriptions remind me of Working Designs' style.
Quote:
BauerBar: Keeps you going for 24 hours straight.
Cylon Tea: Comes in 12 different varieties.
Aside from how quickly characters become tired in Tartarus, I'm loving this game so far. It's managed to be even more addictive than I thought it would be.

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 06:51 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2007, 01:51 AM #111 of 556
It sure is getting better and better. Now I can clear 5 floors at a time without a party member dozing off. Still, it's a slightly annoying thing. Especially because fatigue seems to be one of the major gameplay elements.

A quick question concerning Personas: The ones I fuse are lost forever, right? I mean, there's absolutely no way of ever getting back the Personas you've lost? If so, that'd be lame. I'm on Tartarus level 15 and still don't feel like giving up my cool Personas only to create cooler ones.

Also, why is the item and equipment management so weird? Say, if you're heading to the police a.k.a. the weapon dealer, why can't you equip your party members right away?

FELIPE NO
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 06:58 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2007, 06:58 PM #112 of 556
When you get an additional party member, it seems hard to fatigue folks. I just got my fourth and I've been steamrolling through things.

It seems my first attempt at the 2nd part of Tartarus was just bad luck. Word of advice: wait for your fourth party member before trying beyond the first 15 floors. Many enemies beyond that are weak vs thunder, and without the fourth person, you have little chance of killing the critters.

I had to wait for exam week to finish before I could finally start looking through the second area of the dungeon. And thankfully, the experience is quite impressive.

Rock --
I agree, I'd like the ability to manage equipment via one status screen rather than talk to each member. But that's a minor gripe.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 06:59 PM #113 of 556
Yeah, menue oddities like that have been mentioned in multiple reviews. While baffling it has minimal hinderance on the game. (not that you were complaining to begin with)

So far I'm liking this game more then Devil Summoner. DS wasn't horrible by any means but, it was just *argh* inspiring, that's all I can think to describe it. It was probably because it followed Digital Sevil Saga too.

Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:23 PM #114 of 556
As I said, fatigue becomes a slight non issue later on, you'll go through many floors before a party member gets tired. Also, you don't lose Personas "permanently" when you fuse them. I forgot what month, either the second or so, you get the compendium and you can "record" the ones you have on you, with all their skills etc and buy them back at a later date. Orpheus, your main persona comes with the book If I remember correctly.

How ya doing, buddy?
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:45 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2007, 11:45 PM #115 of 556
As I said, fatigue becomes a slight non issue later on, you'll go through many floors before a party member gets tired. Also, you don't lose Personas "permanently" when you fuse them. I forgot what month, either the second or so, you get the compendium and you can "record" the ones you have on you, with all their skills etc and buy them back at a later date. Orpheus, your main persona comes with the book If I remember correctly.
Boy. Wish I did that before I combined two higher leveled ones I had. On well -- only one way to learn =Y

Most amazing jew boots

Jujubee
Good Chocobo

Member 416

Level 16.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:58 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2007, 12:58 AM #116 of 556
Just made a new Persona 3 sig. I freaking love this game.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 04:48 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2007, 11:48 AM #117 of 556
Also, you don't lose Personas "permanently" when you fuse them. I forgot what month, either the second or so, you get the compendium and you can "record" the ones you have on you, with all their skills etc and buy them back at a later date. Orpheus, your main persona comes with the book If I remember correctly.
So what you're saying is that I should wait with fusing until I get that book? I'm on level 15 of the Tartarus and about 7 hours into the game already but I still have yet to fuse because I'm afraid of losing my Persona skills.

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:16 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2007, 08:16 AM #118 of 556
Well, the lady in the Velvet room starts giving you quests at some point. And a number of them involve fusing. That's the main reason I looked in to it, really =o But once ya do it one time, you're kinda hooked >_>

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:39 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2007, 03:39 PM #119 of 556
See, I'm just afraid of screwing up with the fusing system. Like losing skills that are absolutely crucial to defeating certain enemies. To me it just seems particularly dangerous, especially with the tactical combat system. That's the main reason I haven't bothered with fusing yet, although I guess I'm supposed to by now.

Can you reacquire Personas with the cards you get after a battle? I know that if you already have one they don't stack up. But what happens when you receive a Persona card of a Persona you've already fused into a new one?

FELIPE NO
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 08:41 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2007, 08:41 AM #120 of 556
I'm pretty sure you'd be able to re-acquire old persona, as long as you don't have it on your person =o

I've fused all the newer ones to make nifty persona and have already re-acquired all the ones I lost.

I should really grind them at some point then save those in the compendium once they have their skills...

Most amazing jew boots

Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 09:01 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2007, 07:01 AM #121 of 556
It's looking like the wait for that art book was worth it.

Before I (inevitably) go out and buy the game, how is the game length shaping up to be? It seem liked to me (and I could be completely wrong) that the whole game storyline takes place within one school year. Previous experience with games of that type have led me to believe that they're usually short adventures.

I doubt that this is the case with Persona, since you're probably spending all your time in dungeons anyway, but I just wanted to get a pulse from the playing crowd.

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |

Last edited by Rollins; Aug 17, 2007 at 10:00 AM.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 09:45 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2007, 09:45 AM #122 of 556
I'm about 12hrs in and I've just wrapped up the second month. Plus, unless things change, it seems like I'll need to do a new game (there's a new game+) in order to try out the other athletic clubs. Plus, I think you're timed on joining the academia clubs. I got the academia level to enter one of them and it had a note pretty much saying "you're too late" so I dunno... Either way, these first two months are shortened...:
Spoiler:
First month, you're out of it for a week or so. Second month, you have exams, and that auto-pilots you through six days or so.

The overall length is becoming very daunting. Some folks are making mention that it might be as long as Dragon Quest VIII or even VII in order to do everything. And with this dynamic storyline of sorts, I think I can deal with that!

Oh. And for working on Charm, Courage, and Academics, look at this website:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/cheat...persona_3.html

It answered some unknowns and gave me some insight in to nice ways to gain those stats =) Hope it helps!

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Gechmir; Aug 17, 2007 at 09:47 AM.
Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:56 AM #123 of 556
See, I'm just afraid of screwing up with the fusing system. Like losing skills that are absolutely crucial to defeating certain enemies. To me it just seems particularly dangerous, especially with the tactical combat system. That's the main reason I haven't bothered with fusing yet, although I guess I'm supposed to by now.

Can you reacquire Personas with the cards you get after a battle? I know that if you already have one they don't stack up. But what happens when you receive a Persona card of a Persona you've already fused into a new one?
I don't think you should wait. The only real skills you should be worried about at that point are dia, agi and bufu and whatever you fuse at that point will have one or more of those and the floors you're gonna be exploring should have personas with em during the card shuffle. Also, F25 boss or so is when You're gonna start fusing to exploit boss weakness/strengths

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jujubee
Good Chocobo

Member 416

Level 16.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:56 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2007, 10:56 AM #124 of 556
Is there a way to control your other character's conditions? One of mines are either sick or tired every other night and its really annoying. I just completed the first full moon event, am I close to getting the fourth character yet?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:43 PM #125 of 556
I've only had a problem with that once, when Junpei stayed sick for 3 days. Otherwise they've recovered pretty quickly for me, so it must be mostly in your luck.

You get the fourth character as soon as exam week is over. The study week before exams was really dull and you typically couldn't go into Tartarus because people are busy.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] SMT: Persona 3 (The RPG to keep talking about, since :awesome:) Now with more PEZ.