Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] SMT: Persona 3 (The RPG to keep talking about, since :awesome:) Now with more PEZ.

Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Jul 8, 2007, 07:07 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2007, 05:07 PM #1 of 556
SMT: Persona 3 (The RPG to keep talking about, since :awesome:) Now with more PEZ.

NA Release Date: July 24th, 2007
Platform: Playstation 2
ESRB Rating: Mature for Blood, Language, Partial Nudity, Violence
Official US Website: Persona 3 FES Website

Game Description:
In Persona 3, you’ll assume the role of a high school student, who was orphaned as a young boy, and has recently transferred to Gekkoukan High School on Port Island. Only days after he arrives at the school dorm, he is attacked by a Shadow. The assault awakens his Persona, Orpheus, his only chance at defeating this creature of the night. He soon discovers that he shares this special ability with other students at his new school. From them he learns of the Dark Hour, a hidden time that exists between one day and the next, swarming with Shadows that have been slowing claiming victims known as The Lost—poor souls who have inexplicably been turned into walking zombies. Under the supervision of school chairman Shuji Ikutsuki, he joins his new friends in confronting this evil threat.

With your school as the primary battlefield, you’ll be forced to juggle between two lives: student by day, defender against evil by night. And your greatest challenges await you on the eve of each full moon.

Features:
  • Engaging Social Link system lets you build intimate relationships with friends and love interests alike!
  • Unforgettable characters and professionally-acted dialogue bring the story to life!
  • Massive replay value with over 20 Social Links and a complex storyline encompassing a full school year.
  • Highly stylized designs grace the beautiful 2D character portraits, detailed 3D animations, and heart-pounding cut scenes!
  • Intense, strategic battle system; find and exploit enemy weaknesses with the help of your allies!

Game Bonus Features:
The game is listed for $49.99 and comes in a boxset which includes a full-color, 52-page art book packed with character art, concept sketches, and more. It also comes with a soundtrack CD featuring the hip urban-techno music of Shoji Meguro, composer of the haunting and unforgettable scores for Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga!

Intro Movie:
YouTube Video

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Here it is! Persona 3 in English! The game was originally released in Japan a year ago and has taken until now to get localized. The Persona series has always been a spin off of Shin Megami Tensei and for some reason they decided to add the Shin Megami Tensei to the title of the US version even though the first 2 were released here without it I'm still just going to call it Persona 3 anyway.

The Persona games have always been wacky modern day based RPGs with demons and a cast of High School students who fight them off with guns and their Personas (more or less alter egos or other selves). Well, except for Eternal Punishment which didn't have High School kids. Unfortunately the English versions of the game were always incomplete in one way or another. Persona 1 was Americanized as in the characters themselves being renamed and slightly changed to appeal more to North Americans. The most drastic change being a Japanese kid with freckles being transformed into a black kid. Besides all this they cut a section out of the game for whatever reason. And the game had a sloppy translation. Persona 2's localization was handled much much better, except we only got the second half to the game. Let's hope we don't get screwed again with this third game and Atlus localizes the expansion disc which has the true ending to Persona 3.

This one is drastically different from the first two. The game is now a dating sim and dungeon crawler. You live the life of a teenage Japanese student. You wake up in the morning, socialize with friends, go to classes in school, jjoin clubs, and everything else you could do as a student. Building relationships is key to becoming stronger for the dungeon crawling. This game also uses an interesting method of summoning personas. The kids actually shoot themselves in the head every time they summon them. I wouldn't be surprised if this and the whole emo high school kids in school with guns is the reason this game jumped from a 12 and up game to Mature in the states.

I'm looking forward to this game just because I've always been a fan of persona and I'd like to play a game that strays away from the usual RPG formula and tries something completely different. It isn't very often we get titles like these brought to our shores. Plus the game has so much style to it. Just listen to the music and watch some videos to see what I mean. I say its worth 50 bucks just because you get a long game and a ton of nifty extras with it.

Go pre-order. NOW!

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss; May 19, 2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: More PEZ
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2007, 07:49 PM #2 of 556
I've always like the Shin Megami Tensai series... Although I've never beaten any, this one seems to grab my interest more than the other ones have. Probably because of the random school setting.

I might just go ahead and pre-order this.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2007, 09:26 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2007, 07:26 PM #3 of 556
Oh God it's been so long.

I loved Eternal Punishment to death. Shin Megami Tensei turned out to be a great replacement for a time (and then Devil Summoner to a much smaller degree), but this is what I've been waiting for. Don't fail me now, Atlus.

How ya doing, buddy?
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:11 PM #4 of 556
I'm not sure about this one. even if it look nice, I have always like the shin megami tensei series mainly for they dark atmosphere and their weird demons. I really don't like the dating sim thing... well I didn't test it but I don,t think it fit the atmosphere...

Anyway it still seem like a good game, I just don't like the new look for a shin megami tensei game

How ya doing, buddy?
Jinn
Thief of Tazmily

Member 260

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2007, 01:15 AM Local time: Jul 9, 2007, 12:15 AM #5 of 556
It seems like I've been waiting for Persona 3 forever! I was pretty much sold when I saw how the persona are summoned, last year. I'll definitely be pre-ordering this one very soon.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Oh shit.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2007, 02:38 PM #6 of 556
I pre-ordered this several months ago as soon as I heard about the soundtrack and 52-page artbook. At first I was slightly impressed that the Gamestop manager knew it was listed under Shin Megami Tensei when Persona 3 didn't come up in the computer, but was quickly unimpressed by his claim that the creator was getting greedy by sticking his name in the title after the first two were just called Persona.

I've yet to actually play a Persona game, but this looks fantastic. Nocturne and especially DDS were both great games, and I can't wait to play Persona 3.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2007, 03:02 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2007, 02:02 PM #7 of 556
The guide's by Doublejump, too. So that'll be an extra 20 bucks extremely well spent. I dunno how many of you collect/buy guides, but if it's done even half as well as their Nocturne effort was, it'll be insane.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Jul 30, 2007 at 09:51 PM.
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:58 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 11:58 AM #8 of 556
I'm not sure about this one. even if it look nice, I have always like the shin megami tensei series mainly for they dark atmosphere and their weird demons. I really don't like the dating sim thing... well I didn't test it but I don,t think it fit the atmosphere...

Anyway it still seem like a good game, I just don't like the new look for a shin megami tensei game
I was a little put off by the dating sim thing too, but considering that this is Atlus and that the conversation systems in SMT3 and Persona 2 were so absolutely hilarious and awesome, odds are good that they can do a dating sim that's not too offensive...except in those ways where it helps to be.

How ya doing, buddy?

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.
gustifur
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 18397

Level 1.02

Jan 2007

Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:37 AM #9 of 556
im up for playing this, but im not completely sure how i feel about the fact that your characters shoot themselves in the head to cast magic, even healing lol

im sure ill still buy it

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:52 AM #10 of 556
well it still a shin megami tensei game... just in DDS they even cannibalize them self and eat other demons so I guess shooting in the head is nothing really out of the ordinary for this series XD

Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:57 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2007, 08:57 AM #11 of 556
English website is officially up now with tons of information, English trailers and gameplay videos.

How ya doing, buddy?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:56 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2007, 09:56 PM #12 of 556
Hmmmm upon reading a bit from that summary I'm a bit more disinterested in it than I was before. I played a little bit of the first Persona games, owning the second one, but I dunno. I'm sure this will play like a 'classic' Japanese RPG right? I'll probably wait for some reviews before I purchase this one.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2007, 07:47 PM #13 of 556
Just an FYI to any of you thinking buying the Mitsuru figure off play-asia or any other import site. Come late September, its gonna be available in US and for $30-$34 to boot. [According to Diamond] Tfaw has already started preorders.

How ya doing, buddy?
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:03 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2007, 03:03 PM #14 of 556
Quote:
Due to a manufacturing error with regard to the Persona 3 Art Book, the title will regretfully narrowly miss its scheduled ship date of July 24th, 2007. This was an unforeseen scenario, and one regretfully out of our control.

Presented with the choice of compromising on the quality of the art book, or shipping the game without said extra, we decided to have the art book redone with a higher quality binding, which will cause a very short delay in the ship date of the title.

While all other materials and packaging related to the game are complete, we were unwilling to sacrifice the art book, and as such will expedite the manufacturing process to the best of our ability in order to release the title as soon as is possible.

We appreciate your understanding and will release a formal announcement when Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 ships.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Jinn
Thief of Tazmily

Member 260

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:08 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2007, 04:08 PM #15 of 556
Oh man, this is horrible news! I was so looking forward to having this on Wednesday that I tied up all my lose ends with other games that I have been playing (i.e. finally beat them).

Well, hopefully it won't be THAT long of a delay, but I wouldn't have really cared if the binding on the art book was of sub par quality. Not like I'm going to look at it a BIGILLION times or anything.

FELIPE NO
Oh shit.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:10 PM #16 of 556
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I was sitting on a pile of bricks by the time I saw the ship date changed from 7/24 to 7/31, and that last one feels like a placeholder date to me. Either way, can't get too upset considering what we're getting along with the title.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:10 PM #17 of 556
Well, at least they aren't willing to ship out artbooks with faulty bindings just to meet the ship date. Still, I really hope this doesn't cause more than a week or so of delay. I was looking forward to having a full month with the game before school starts back.

Jinn
Thief of Tazmily

Member 260

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:20 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2007, 04:20 PM #18 of 556
Oh, also, here is a very positive REVIEW. It's good to see, even though it's coming from RPGamer.

Oh shit.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:27 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2007, 04:27 PM #19 of 556
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO!!!!!!!

Well, time to sink that money on to the credit card and then go buy some comic books until SMT comes out.

Also, RPGamer fucks a lot of stuff up, but they're usually fairly right on in terms of how they review story.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Jinn
Thief of Tazmily

Member 260

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:36 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2007, 04:36 PM #20 of 556
Yeah, I'd definitely agree with that. I think they evaluate story lines very well in most cases. Though, every so often they completely drop the ball.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Oh shit.
Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:45 PM #21 of 556
My favorite review for the game so far. No scores though but a nice read =P

I was speaking idiomatically.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:55 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2007, 01:55 PM #22 of 556
No worry. It's only a week. This game has been delayed, how many times before and for how many months?

Actually this is pretty good for me, since Play-Asia wasn't getting it in until the 26th anyway. They usually won't get American games straight away, but it beats the hell out of $11.50US in shipping. Waiting a few more days won't hurt.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 08:00 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2007, 07:00 PM #23 of 556
Yeah, I just buy other fun useless stuff (In this case, Flight comics 1,2,3,4) in order to tide me over.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 02:22 PM #24 of 556
Persona 3 officially shipping August 14th. I think anyone who cares about the artbook at this point would rather import the official design works...*sigh*.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 02:29 PM #25 of 556
Ideally they could just ship the extras at a later time and show your receipt to get them. Since part of the issue is keeping the box reinforced enough for shipping that would probably just turn into more trouble than it's worth, though. Not to mention how much trouble there would be with EB managers/employees swiping the goods and telling people they never received them.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] SMT: Persona 3 (The RPG to keep talking about, since :awesome:) Now with more PEZ.