Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How loud do you play your music?

pyrus421
the sky remains the same as ever

Member 597

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 08:40 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 06:40 PM #1 of 52
Question How loud do you play your music?

How loud do you play your music? Do you have to it only so it travels the room? Do you have it loud that it can be heard across the street? Or do you take it a step further with an amp, "BOOM"'ing the hell out of your next door neighbor? For me I ALWAYS listen to my music with headphones, and not so loud that my ears will rape me. I only take private sessions, so I can't llisten to those hot trance vocals around people...

Most amazing jew boots
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 08:47 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 07:47 PM #2 of 52
On headphones or if I'm in direct line with speakers, I try to keep the sound fairly normal. After all, my life is my hearing (musician), and if I reduce it now I'll be in a who-ole heap of trouble when I get older.

But in the car I love to have music up quite loud, with the windows down. I believe that other people should hear whatever I'm listening to, because it's good. And it's much better than 99% of the crap that the general public has shoved down it's throat via TV/Radio every day. Might as well shove something good down it .

There's nowhere I can't reach.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 08:48 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 07:48 PM #3 of 52
Depends entirely on what I'm doing while listening. If it's background music while I'm something else, I'll usually have it quiet. If I just want to sit down and enjoy an album, I'll use headphones and turn it up. Pretty self explanatory.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 11:00 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 10:00 PM #4 of 52
Originally Posted by Arkhangelsk
But in the car I love to have music up quite loud, with the windows down. I believe that other people should hear whatever I'm listening to, because it's good. And it's much better than 99% of the crap that the general public has shoved down it's throat via TV/Radio every day. Might as well shove something good down it .

I couldn't agree with you more there. Whenever I'm in my car I always blast my music. I had a good stereo system put in so why not use it.

Whenever I'm not in my car I usually have my iPod nearby. When I'm in public and using the earbuds I try not to turn it up too loud because those things just force an unnecessary amount of treble into my ear.

When I'm home I use my "ear-covering" stereo headphones so I can usually listen to music louder.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 11:10 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 08:10 PM #5 of 52
At home, I tend to have the volume loud enough for me to hear the music since I have neighbors below me. The same can be said if I'm listening to music from an iPod while studying with other people in a quiet area. If I'm driving, I have the volume set at a medium level as well.

I was speaking idiomatically.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 11:13 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 09:13 PM #6 of 52
I use IEMs, so I keep the music down very low, because that's all it takes. (On a scale of 1-10, I keep my iPod's volume at 3 at the most.)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 11:19 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 11:19 PM #7 of 52
When listening to music with normal speakers, I usually have the volume at a fairly "normal" level so that the sound only travels to the next room. I tend to turn the volume even lower for rock and metal.

With headphones, I usually have my volume set a two or three notches above the minimum level on my CD player, which is probably around 10-20%, so if I'm in a completely quiet setting, I can hear myself tapping my fingers on a tabletop.

Additionally, if I have to turn my music on higher than 5 notches, which is still too quiet to be heard by people standing next to me, I probably won't listen to anything. This makes it pretty difficult for me to listen to music on a bus and many other public settings. Of course, this only applies to songs at "normal" volumes. I truly value my hearing, and I think that playing in a band makes it even more important for me not to listen to music at high volumes.

I have this friend who listens to his iPod at ridiculously high volumes. I can always hear what he's listening to from across the room. Well, whenever I talk to him, I have to yell.

How ya doing, buddy?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 11:25 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 02:25 PM #8 of 52
Originally Posted by Arkhangelsk
Trust me, doesn't matter what you're playing, nobody else is going to want to hear it while stuck at a red light.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 01:07 AM #9 of 52
I keep my Ipod music at less than half volume, because the In-Ear headphones block out most of the surrounding sound like earplugs, so it sounds pretty loud at lower levels.

At nighttime, I keep the laptop volume level at one notch, because when it's completely quiet, it still sounds loud. If I want to make it quiete, I plug in the headphones and turn the volume to about 75%-max.

Throughout the day, the laptop volume is at 25%-40%, but if I'm at the arcade with my friends, I won't even hear much at 100%.

On the PC, I have never turned up the volume past half a revolution. My music gets loud enough with the ITunes volume and enhancer effects. Anything past half a circle from the bottom is overkill.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Summonmaster; May 22, 2006 at 01:09 PM.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 01:26 AM Local time: May 22, 2006, 01:26 AM #10 of 52
Depends where I'm at. If I throw a party, it's going to be loud enough to hear, but soft enough to talk. Some of the things I hate most at parties is screaming to your friends just for them to even hear you. In my room, usually normal range? Headphones, it would be normal as well unless I'm in the gym, then I really need to pump the volume to hear. In the car I would like to bust out and play it loudly, but because I think hearing surroundings when you drive is kind of important, I play it normally.

Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 10:17 AM Local time: May 22, 2006, 03:17 PM #11 of 52
At home, if i'm working (which is rare) I tend to have it at a lower-medium volume (10 out of 30). When i'm just listening to it and doing something that doesn't require too much concentration it goes up to 15, when I want to just listen to it loud it goes to 20, and up to 30 when the rents aren't home. You can hear my stereo from the bottom of my street so I tend not to play it that loud often.

As for my Zen, I tend to have it on full volume since my headphones are crap and I want to block out exterior noise (mainly people talking about crap). My bus journey can be quite long so if I don't have my Zen I tend to go out of my mind with what people talk about on that bus.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 10:35 AM Local time: May 22, 2006, 11:35 PM #12 of 52
I play my music pretty loud. Not really that loud, but above the medium level. Except when I go into "thinking mode", where I play piano/orchestral pieces, that's the time where I lower down my music so that it would have an ambient feeling. But usually, I like my music loud enough that I can hear every instrument being played, from bashing drums, to screeching guitar riffs, to high pitched back up screams. Headphones or no headphones.

How ya doing, buddy?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 10:39 AM #13 of 52
I like my music pretty loud when I'm in the car by myself. If my kids are with me, I turn it down so I don't damage their little ears, and also so we can talk.

I always turn my music down at stoplights, though. I know how much I hate to hear other people's music blasting from their cars and I don't like to inflict mine on anyone else. That's just rude as hell.

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 10:41 AM Local time: May 22, 2006, 08:41 AM #14 of 52
Quote:
As for my Zen, I tend to have it on full volume since my headphones are crap and I want to block out exterior noise (mainly people talking about crap). My bus journey can be quite long so if I don't have my Zen I tend to go out of my mind with what people talk about on that bus.
That's not good, you're going to blow your ears out. Turning up your headphones to block out external noise is bad, bad, bad. Your ears eventually adapt to the noise and you can't tell how loud it really is. Remember, initial volume is a better indicator of what a proper listening volume is. If it sounds too loud right off the bat, it is too loud. Try this some time; Go to a quiet place and turn your Zen all the way up and see just how loud it really is. You'll probably be surprised.

You should invest in some IEMs if outside noise is a problem. They sound great and block out noise like earplugs, and they will save your hearing in the long run.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; May 22, 2006 at 10:43 AM.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 03:22 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 12:22 PM #15 of 52
When I listen to music on my headphones, it's always quite loud. Sadly, that will probably be horrible on my hearing in the future, but as of now I can hear fine.

When it's played on stereo, the sound is loud enough to escape my room for others to hear, but not even close to annoy anybody. I used to have a habbit with playing my music as loud as possible, but I remember one of my neighbors complaining.

FELIPE NO

Take this keycard, you can unlock the doors in the hall with this. Now GO!...JUST go!
A hero that lived long enough to see himself become the villain.
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 06:57 PM Local time: May 23, 2006, 12:57 AM #16 of 52
When i listen to my music on my headphones i normally have it at a decent level. Loud enough for me to hear it clearly, but low enough to hear other people when they talk to me. When i have my music played through my speakers i only have it loud enough so that i can hear it, but no-one outside my room can, unless they are listening for it.

Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 07:26 PM #17 of 52
On headphones and my laptop I try to keep it at a moderate level so it stays in my room (or in the case headphones, not blow out my eardrums).

However, with the 5.1 surround sound on the desktop, everything is on max just for the hell of it. I dunno why, but every time I'm near surround sound speakers (my house, friend's house, even the store display models) I have to turn everything up to max.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Stribro
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 7029

Level 1.47

May 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 07:44 PM Local time: May 23, 2006, 01:44 AM #18 of 52
If I am alone in the house, normally a fair volume from the Hi-Fi so I can still hear the music if I need to go upstairs. Otherwise, if on the computer, I try to keep it a fairly low measure on headphones. Have been known to have it blaring though and my ears paid for that in the morning.

chocomarker1
Carob Nut

Member 202

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 04:06 AM #19 of 52
im using headphones and im listening to my music pretty loud. i just love to pic some of my CDs and listen to them in super high quality really loud ^^

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 05:41 AM #20 of 52
I try to keep music at a level just above what I need to clearly hear it. I really don't think that blasting some tunes through my headphones will do anything good for my hearing.

At home on my PC speakers it really depends on the day. I usually play it at a moderate level, but early in the morning and late at night when I'm the only one up I'll put it pretty low. It's rare for me to blast it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 09:51 AM Local time: May 23, 2006, 08:51 AM #21 of 52
I have a nice speaker setup on my computer, so I'll play that at a volume that suits me, but can't be heard outside my room. I generally hate drawing attention to myself, and I also have always hated loud noises, so I try to keep it quiet. There are times when nobody else is in the house and I'll crank it up a bit, if it's a particularly worthy song (Something by ES Posthumus, Track 15 off the Fahrenheit gamerip (or the one labeled Track 15, WTF messed-up tags), Consign to Oblivion, etc...something epic).

I did recently get a pair of Altec Lansing (couldn't decide btw. Grado/Sennheiser, so whaddya know, did neither) noise-cancelling headphones from ThinkGeek, which will be nice for immersing myself in FLAC soundtracks from the GFF tracker.

The only time I turn it up is when I'm riding the subway into the city. Those tunnels are fucking loud.

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 01:32 PM #22 of 52
Hmmm, I guess for me I keep my volume on my iPod either at the middle, or use 3/4 of the volume bar, depending on how the iPod can handle the bass, sometimes it really can't and that's annoying.

When it comes to computer speakers and stereo speakers, I try and keep it to a music volume that only I can hear. However, when no one's home I will put the volume up, hehehe.

Oh and nothing against the two here who blast their music while in the car...but I think majority of the people who do that on the road, is purely doing it to be cool and be an attention whore. And also, like the other person said...not everyone wants to listen to someone's things at a red light. lol.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kanji
"Well, hello there, sugar tits."

Member 567

Level 16.46

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 02:07 PM Local time: May 23, 2006, 01:07 PM #23 of 52
I have a strange fondness of my ears or something. Ever since childhood, I've liked to keep all audio at a low setting. Although it's quiet at first, my ears often adjust to the volume level shortly. It gives me a sense of security about my hearing, haha..

In louder areas, I tend to turn up the volume to block out the noise of other people or objects. After reading PiccoloNamek's post, though, I may just try to bring that habit down.

As for blasting sound in a car? I don't drive yet, but I can't envision myself doing such. The volume would probably be pretty low, as I usually do. However, only time will tell.

FELIPE NO
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 12:46 AM Local time: May 23, 2006, 10:46 PM #24 of 52
I have a theory that the lower the IQ, the louder the music required. While living on campus, I would hear ridiculous loud volumes coming out of dorm rooms that you wouldn't believe. And it was always the idiots. Before that, I didn't even think that people could hear at such levels but apparently, some require it. It's as obnoxious as the 'tard in the next car playing 50 cent so loud that it vibrates your car windows.

Put on some fucking headphones and blow your own ears out. No one wants to hear that shit. I was unforunately subjected to 2 roommates who listened to rap and mexican folk music so loud it literally broke one of our stereos. And it was always at early hours of the morning. I hated them.

As for me, I listen to music on a medium level. When I'm studying somewhere and don't want to be distracted, I increase the volume enough to drown out background noise but at home, on the computer (like right now), it's relatively quiet.

TGC
Wark!

Member 1326

Level 3.31

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 03:35 AM #25 of 52
It depends what i'm listening to...

Rock music I love loud, but since there are children in the house, i will lower the volumn so they don't hear inappropriate lyrics.

Kids are messed up enough these days aren't they?

If it's like trance/techno/dance/whatever else in this category...I will just listen to it pretty loud. I don't like to disturb people though, so only when no one is home will i really listen to music loud. Otherwise, it's just at a medium level.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > How loud do you play your music?