Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Your Thoughts On Blatant Plagarism In VGM

Kabukibear
Chocobo

Member 1895

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:29 AM #1 of 15
Your Thoughts On Blatant Plagarism In VGM

Or music in general.

I have no problem with people borrowing ideas. Hell, the beatles did it with beethoven. I suppose I wanted your take on BLATANT borrowing of the compositions of others. Do you think it's okay if it's public domain? Does it lower the composer in your eyes? I know Stravinsky's take on the matter but sometimes you'll hear a piece of music and go, "heeeey, I know that."

This question was brought on by playing Grandia III and hearing Alfina's Theme for the first time. IMMEDIATELY, I thought..."Vocalise?" It irked me, though, because if it WAS going to be Vocalise by Rachmaninoff, then play Vocalise! If not, come up with something of your own!

Maybe you think I'm being a little too harsh. Well, I present to you excerpts from both. You compare and be the judge.

What examples of this have you heard in other various VG soundtracks or in music in general. Again, I mean OBVIOUS stealing, not just developing other's themes or ideas. Take a listen.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:33 AM #2 of 15
I would say check the liner notes...Sometimes the composers come right out and say what their influences are, so it may be intentional to pay tribute. Daisuke Ishiwatari does this with various metal influences for Guilty Gear music.

But yeah, no mistaking those two themes.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
tetre
Carob Nut

Member 898

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:46 AM Local time: Aug 26, 2006, 11:46 PM #3 of 15
I don't mind it. Personally, I'd think it's great for the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and heck, anything instrumental section of music, period, to have an occasional insertion of a theme. I think it helps makes Classical music (not referring to the period) much more accessable to a larger audience. After studying music for over 10 years, I can still listen to Beethoven or Mozart and be in complete awe of the complexity that is still difficult to understand. Many people are unable to get past this. But with game music (or other modern music) allowing for insight into the past with these themes, it allows people to say "Hey, this sounds sorta like _______ from _______" and it may allow them to understand that piece of classical music better. From there, it's even possible to branch off further, and see what else the composer wrote.

You can also run into a situation where a composer could write a piece of music which came to him or her and simply has no idea whether or not it's been done before. It's impossible for every composer to have listened to every musical work of eternity and have knowledge of the melodies. It's even difficult for a single performer to have knowledge of every piece in existance for their instrument. I played a college Viola audition, and none of the 4 faculty members (violin, viola, cello, orchestra director) had ever heard of the piece, and were barely even familiar with the composer. Sure, it's less likely in a case like Rachmaninoff, but you never know.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I play Viola.
arch_slayer
ntan1 is a rankmaniac

Member 6464

Level 21.01

May 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 01:21 AM Local time: Aug 26, 2006, 10:21 PM #4 of 15
Almost all game music comes from classical influences now. In that regards simply copying off classical music isn't that big of a deal unless ALL of the tracks are done that way. And again, check the linear notes first, a lot of people credit with tribute information.

Anyway, I doubt the composers of these soundtracks can even get away with plagiarism, they'd probably tell their co-workers that they indeed did use a classical composer's track.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
l0stwhispers
Life's a perfect sphere.

Member 11702

Level 3.93

Aug 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 01:34 AM Local time: Aug 27, 2006, 02:34 PM #5 of 15
Originally Posted by tetre
I think it helps makes Classical music (not referring to the period) much more accessable to a larger audience.
Ditto that. ^^ Not many people would want to sit down and listen to pure classical music these days, and maybe if incorporating it into a game, it'll expose today's generation to more genres. I mean, it's always good to know about history, and if it sounds good, then, why not?

Originally Posted by tetre
You can also run into a situation where a composer could write a piece of music which came to him or her and simply has no idea whether or not it's been done before.
There are afterall only 8 notes in an octave. So yea, erm... if you do some Maths, there're only a limited number of variations (excluding the different octaves and stuff) one can come up with. And with the number of people coming up with music these days, it's pretty impossible not to have "created" something someone before you had already done. ^^

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 01:36 AM Local time: Aug 27, 2006, 12:36 AM #6 of 15
It might have been a subconscious thing. I know there have been situations where I've tried composing a melody only to realize later I had copied something I heard before.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
l0stwhispers
Life's a perfect sphere.

Member 11702

Level 3.93

Aug 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 01:38 AM Local time: Aug 27, 2006, 02:38 PM #7 of 15
Yea, that too Dhsu. I mean, with music and writing and art... or just plain creativity, it's pretty difficult to break away from your conscience and really create something. Meh... I don't even know whether I'm making sense or sticking to the topic. ^^

FELIPE NO
KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 08:20 AM #8 of 15
Suikoden main theme = Grand Funk Railroad - I'm Your Captain
Tengai Makyou: The Apocalypse 4's "Get Glory! G Robo!" has a guitar solo that sounds alot like the theme from Saved by the Bell.
The opening song of Lunar for PS1 has the same beginning as Lorelai by Styx.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 09:53 AM #9 of 15
As I see it, there's nothing wrong with music that's clearly inspired by another piece. And, for that matter, there's nothing wrong with pilfering and re-using your own stuff, as long as it doesn't lead to laziness and sloth.

After all, all music is to some extent inspired by what went before. To insist in complete and utter originality (an impossibility) while decrying every similar sound as blatant plagiarism seems small-minded. So what if there are a bar or two from Mozart in that Final Fantasy game? The original's been mutated, reinterpreted, served as the impetus for something new. So what if Uematsu recycled some of his early bloopy tunes later on? The same thing is happening.

Add to that the fact that none of the artists that are being named as "plagiarlized from" are losing anything--no one is going to stop listening to pop music in favor of VGM that sounds vaguely similar.

I think--at most--the musical inspiration(s) a composer blatantly appropriates should be listed in the credits.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kabukibear
Chocobo

Member 1895

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:35 PM #10 of 15
True, but I draw a huge line from "inspired by" and "using the exact same melody and harmonies." I don't mind being inspired or borrowing here and there from a theme. I've done it plenty of times as a nod to composers I admire. It just bothers me when someone uses almost the EXACT theme, and calls it something else, crediting it to themselves. That's not creative and just because you CAN do it that way doesn't mean you should. I know no one is hurt by it. Just one of those things you hear once in a while that kinda irks me.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Kabukibear; Aug 27, 2006 at 07:38 PM.
SonicPanda
You're lying, dammit! And I can prove it!

Member 5153

Level 23.81

Apr 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:56 PM #11 of 15
Originally Posted by Kabukibear
True, but I draw a huge line from "inspired by" and "using the exact same melody and harmonies."
Ay, there's the rub indeed. Considering though, that you cite Iwadare as the thief in your opening example, the knowledge that "Wrapped in Black" from the Sonic Rush soundtrack completely rips off his "Snow Town Laine" from Grandia with equally shameless abandon. There is balance in nature, it seems.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DAMN good coffee!

September 2007: Waiting for Godot...
Mustin
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 8458

Level 1.21

Jun 2006

Old Sep 7, 2006, 03:18 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 02:18 PM #12 of 15
There are only eleven notes.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:14 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 05:14 PM #13 of 15
I'm pritty sure that he snuck in a bit of Jet Set Radio's soundbites in Sonic Rush as well.

I was speaking idiomatically.
All I'm saying is that if the laptops of the future are not in the
shape of chibi genie girls then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
-=SeRaPH=-
I am Fluffy

Member 11403

Level 8.89

Aug 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 02:23 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 06:23 AM #14 of 15
Inspirations are koo...

but Sonic the Hedgehogs theme (I'm not sure of the main title) has a pretty similar melody to Ravel's Tzigane at around the bottom of the 3rd last page... pretty freaky stuff even if it may be coincidence.

Our orchestra is trying to do just that, putting VGM as a means for our audience to listen to other classical music as well. Many of the Symphonic stuff I think it's actually neo-classical...

On another topic, Joe Hisaishi's work on Nausicaa was pretty appalling. The beginning was a direct copy of some minimalist composer I forgot his name... but anyway, I was pretty disappointed. This dude's got some character problem too... I think it was last year in April, his whole staff quit on him. Like every single one. A new team took over Wonder Studio with his wife as director. Great Musician < Great People. Usually Great People are naturally Great Musicians if you get my meaning.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Sep 8, 2006, 03:09 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 08:09 PM #15 of 15
Breath of Fire III had many, MANY melodies and riffs lifted straight out of the Chrono Trigger music. The "game over" theme is just Wind Scene looped, and the forest theme is identical to CT's. Annoys me.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Your Thoughts On Blatant Plagarism In VGM