Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Konami still makes non MGS games?

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:06 AM #1 of 16
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Konami still makes non MGS games?

Developed By MercurySteam + KojiPro
Published By: Konami
Release Date: NA October 12|JP December 16| EU October 17|

So word is this did start out as a Castlevania project, then they dropped Castlevania then Konami/Kojima saw it again and decided to go with it as Castlevania again. It's a reboot for the series, not tied to any timeline etc. You play Gabriel Belmont, some dude who fights for some holy order who just had his old lady killed by [the darkness] surrounding the land so he sets off to save the entire fucking world from all the evil all by himself (Love makes you do stupid shit). Narrated by Patrick Stewart (He also plays Zobek, your old dude mentor/guide).

Demo is up on XBL and PSN. It has framerate issues but I enjoyed it.

YouTube Video
(E3 2009 Trailer)
YouTube Video
(7 minute JP preview video that pretty much gives the entire story away)

I'm the only GFFer getting this tomorrow aren't I?
THESE ARE DARK TIMES, TIMES WITHOUT HOPE.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:43 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2010, 03:43 AM #2 of 16
Nah. Getting my LE copy later today.

Game's gorgeous but it stutters. Also dodge mechanic may take some time getting used to.

But I loved the demo.

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:00 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2010, 05:00 AM #3 of 16
I found the demo pretty meh. I like the ambiance, but I'll probably hold off until a price drop.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Dais
Are You The True Form of Darkness?

Member 12065

Level 5.43

Sep 2006

Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:23 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2010, 04:23 AM 2 #4 of 16
Watched a livestream of the final five or six hours.

Fuck this game. Fuck its dumb plot and dumber plot twists. Fuck its boring 3D realizations of beautiful 2D monster designs. Fuck its Ubisoft Prince of Persia platforming and its 90s adventure game puzzles. Fuck its repetitive orchestral score and insulting bullshit use of "Vampire Killer". Fuck the boss design. Half-fuck Patrick Stewart's ridiculous, overwrought and classless narration of each chapter (the actual writing is very likely not his fault). Fuck MercurySteam, fuck Konami, fuck Dave Cox, fuck Hideo Kojima, fuck the reviewers and fuck the fans.

I hope an international investigation is made into the development of this game, ultimately culminating with the environments and concept art being taken away and put with a foster game that can actually treat them right.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2010, 07:10 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2010, 06:10 AM 1 #5 of 16
I need you to go ahead and take back any bad words you just spat about Captain Jean-Luc FUCKING Picard. He would be so diplomatic about your unbelievable slander that by the end you would be thanking him for inserting a Nausicaan into you. Show some god damned respect for the single greatest Captain the Federation has ever known, you plebe.

Other than that, toss some spoiler tags up there and explain about the story. Is it Other M levels of terrible? Or is it twist ending of the original Uncharted bad?

Expound, man.

I was speaking idiomatically.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:23 AM #6 of 16
Watched a livestream of the final five or six hours.

Fuck this game. Fuck its dumb plot and dumber plot twists. Fuck its boring 3D realizations of beautiful 2D monster designs. Fuck its Ubisoft Prince of Persia platforming and its 90s adventure game puzzles. Fuck its repetitive orchestral score and insulting bullshit use of "Vampire Killer". Fuck the boss design. Half-fuck Patrick Stewart's ridiculous, overwrought and classless narration of each chapter (the actual writing is very likely not his fault). Fuck MercurySteam, fuck Konami, fuck Dave Cox, fuck Hideo Kojima, fuck the reviewers and fuck the fans.

I hope an international investigation is made into the development of this game, ultimately culminating with the environments and concept art being taken away and put with a foster game that can actually treat them right.
I'm sorry this isn't another one of the several Igavanias you undoubtedly own.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2010, 08:11 PM #7 of 16
I'm actually enjoying this game. ALOT. My only complaint with it (and its my fault for being a faggot for limited editions) is the way they handled packaging. The artbook is part of the case instead of being by itself. While that is kinda cool, I just felt cheapened. At least they gave a shirt so now I don't feel so bad for spending the extra $20 for it.

Gameplay wise it reminds me a bit of Lament of Innocence (or I could go the route of youtube and gamefaq fags and say it rips off God of War) and even though there seems to be a bit of slowdown, that doesn't hinder me. Granted, I'm only just a few stories into the first chapter, but as I said I'm enjoying myself a lot and can't wait to start getting into some of the more brutal looking boss battles.

FELIPE NO

Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2010, 09:42 PM #8 of 16
Been enjoying it too. Artbook doesn't bother me, I actually like the idea of it being the actual case. Everything 3rd person action game is a rip off of GoW or DMC/NG now.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dais
Are You The True Form of Darkness?

Member 12065

Level 5.43

Sep 2006

Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:38 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2010, 10:38 PM 2 #9 of 16
I'm sorry this isn't another one of the several Igavanias you undoubtedly own.
I'm sorry, was this supposed to be some kind of cunning, insightful remark to cut down my criticisms like so many bamboo stalks?

I'm a fan of Castlevania as a whole, past and hopefully future. It's this particular pseudo-Castlevania in the present I take exception to, and not because I want to. Among those acquaintances who I regularly converse about video games with, I was about the only person who was actually hoping the game would turn out respectable despite trailers screaming "Epic!" and a questionable developer track record. I was actually hoping this game would turn out well, even though it wasn't my ideal way for the series to move forward (since it was certainly stagnating under the well-intentioned but clumsy hands of Igarashi).

But beyond the basic level at which the game is serviceable as entertainment and enjoyable to many (possibly even myself, in certain moods), it's a load of bullshit. It lacks an identity - it's Castlevania in names and small references only, but rather than try and make something of itself, it borrows liberally and unashamedly from many sources without ever trying to bring the parts together in a whole that can be described by any means other than a "did we put this in?" checklist.

I need you to go ahead and take back any bad words you just spat about Captain Jean-Luc FUCKING Picard. He would be so diplomatic about your unbelievable slander that by the end you would be thanking him for inserting a Nausicaan into you. Show some god damned respect for the single greatest Captain the Federation has ever known, you plebe.

Other than that, toss some spoiler tags up there and explain about the story. Is it Other M levels of terrible? Or is it twist ending of the original Uncharted bad?

Expound, man.
I really don't want to say anything bad about Patrick Stewart. It's really not his fault that the narrative "excerpts" from Zobek's diary grow increasingly over-dramatic until eye-rolling becomes involuntary.

As for the spoilers, it's....well, for some people, it won't seem so bad. In the context of the whole story, things make.....well, video game sense, I suppose. But the last few hours really ramp up the dumb drama as it's revealed that...

HUGE SPOILERS
Spoiler:
Gabriel killed his wife! He was manipulated into it (and everything that previously happened in the game) by Zobek, who is one of the Lords of Shadow and wanted the power of the God Mask for himself. But then SATAN appears and reveals that he had been manipulating Zobek in order to get the God Mask for himself. Wearing the God Mask and absolutely nothing else except a mysterious black fog that hangs over his crotch, he challenges God but is beaten by Gabriel because good has to win. But Gabriel doesn't get his wife back and he is sad and his journey has been for nothing and he also has the Devil Mask which grants you evil power I wonder what he will do with it.

Then there's the post-credits scene, which starts out dumb, throws itself bodily into stupid, staggers so-idiotic-it's-glorious and then collapses under the weight of "are they fucking serious?"
Spoiler:
Some time after the game, Zobek is back and finds a mysterious vampire who has sealed himself in a church. It's Gabriel! And now he calls himself Dracul(a)! And Satan is going to be revived so they have to go fight him again! And Gabriel tries to attack Zobek and Zobek throws him out a stained glass window and it is 20XX and there are care and neon signs everywhere and apparently a thousand years have passed and Zobek says if Gabriel helps him fight Satan then he'll undo the curse of his vampiric immortality and seriously just watch it yourself:

YouTube - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Epilogue Teaser Cutscene

I realize I'm probably coming across as crazy, but I'm just so disappointed in how....silly this game is. It's far more ridiculous than the most cartoon-ish Igavania, but it doesn't seem self-aware in the slightest.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:30 AM Local time: Oct 6, 2010, 08:30 AM #10 of 16
Maybe I just don't like video game writing that much, because that is rather, as the kids say, pants-on-head retarded.

And you were exactly right on that post credits scene.

Spoiler:
That overwrought scream at the end. My god. I burst out laughing.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:25 PM #11 of 16
I'm on chapter 4 of it and while I'm having fun with the game part of things, the dialogue and the writing on some of the scrolls throughout the levels is pretty eye-rolling. No dispute there.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lucas-AMN
King of the x27 Combo

Member 2744

Level 9.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2010, 06:43 PM #12 of 16
I'm sorry, was this supposed to be some kind of cunning, insightful remark to cut down my criticisms like so many bamboo stalks?

I'm a fan of Castlevania as a whole, past and hopefully future. It's this particular pseudo-Castlevania in the present I take exception to, and not because I want to. Among those acquaintances who I regularly converse about video games with, I was about the only person who was actually hoping the game would turn out respectable despite trailers screaming "Epic!" and a questionable developer track record. I was actually hoping this game would turn out well, even though it wasn't my ideal way for the series to move forward (since it was certainly stagnating under the well-intentioned but clumsy hands of Igarashi).

But beyond the basic level at which the game is serviceable as entertainment and enjoyable to many (possibly even myself, in certain moods), it's a load of bullshit. It lacks an identity - it's Castlevania in names and small references only, but rather than try and make something of itself, it borrows liberally and unashamedly from many sources without ever trying to bring the parts together in a whole that can be described by any means other than a "did we put this in?" checklist.

I really don't want to say anything bad about Patrick Stewart. It's really not his fault that the narrative "excerpts" from Zobek's diary grow increasingly over-dramatic until eye-rolling becomes involuntary.

As for the spoilers, it's....well, for some people, it won't seem so bad. In the context of the whole story, things make.....well, video game sense, I suppose. But the last few hours really ramp up the dumb drama as it's revealed that...

HUGE SPOILERS
Spoiler:
Gabriel killed his wife! He was manipulated into it (and everything that previously happened in the game) by Zobek, who is one of the Lords of Shadow and wanted the power of the God Mask for himself. But then SATAN appears and reveals that he had been manipulating Zobek in order to get the God Mask for himself. Wearing the God Mask and absolutely nothing else except a mysterious black fog that hangs over his crotch, he challenges God but is beaten by Gabriel because good has to win. But Gabriel doesn't get his wife back and he is sad and his journey has been for nothing and he also has the Devil Mask which grants you evil power I wonder what he will do with it.

Then there's the post-credits scene, which starts out dumb, throws itself bodily into stupid, staggers so-idiotic-it's-glorious and then collapses under the weight of "are they fucking serious?"
Spoiler:
Some time after the game, Zobek is back and finds a mysterious vampire who has sealed himself in a church. It's Gabriel! And now he calls himself Dracul(a)! And Satan is going to be revived so they have to go fight him again! And Gabriel tries to attack Zobek and Zobek throws him out a stained glass window and it is 20XX and there are care and neon signs everywhere and apparently a thousand years have passed and Zobek says if Gabriel helps him fight Satan then he'll undo the curse of his vampiric immortality and seriously just watch it yourself:

YouTube - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Epilogue Teaser Cutscene

I realize I'm probably coming across as crazy, but I'm just so disappointed in how....silly this game is. It's far more ridiculous than the most cartoon-ish Igavania, but it doesn't seem self-aware in the slightest.

Agreed 100%. Maybe Igarashi's games had started to become repetitive, but they were Castlevania 100%. This is just any other shitty American action game where you just go from overproduced cinema sequence to overproduced cinema sequence with generic action game fill in-between. This is NOT Castlevania, and if Konami decides that this Westernization of the brand is where they want to go from here, then I'm getting off this train right now.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2010, 03:54 AM Local time: Oct 10, 2010, 01:54 AM 1 #13 of 16
Dantevania: Lords of Inferno. Yeah, Castlevania by name only.

Chapter 9 now. I, for one, will sigh relief when it is done, not because ACCOMPLISHED but because I can shelf it away once I'm done. It can get really frustrating at parts and the camera in these situations make it much, much worse.

Can't wait to see the ending (not reading the spoilers) and preparing for a good laugh.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:08 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2010, 04:08 AM #14 of 16
I finished the game today and had a lot of fun with it. It's no Metroid Prime, a number of gameplay issues prevent it from reaching that quality, but otherwise it's a well executed effort that manages to improve on certain aspects of the older games:

Spoiler:
While I have much love for the original series, SCV4 and SotN in particular, the notion that all evil in the world, along with Death personified would gather under the banner of some random Transylvanian count always strained my suspension of disbelief quite a bit.

So when that creepy voice began one-up-ing Zobek right before the last battle, I almost dreaded the imminent appearance of a gaunt, probably bearded Bela Lugosi look-alike. ("Oh hi, I'm Dracula! What's up?") Satan was still very much left field, but a pleasant surprise in so far, as he worked much better for the overall story. When it comes to Christianity-inspired demon hunting, there really isn't a more logical pick for the role of the supreme villain.

Gabriel becoming Dracula on the other hand did not surprise me at all, they really could not have foreshadowed it more heavily (even Zobek's mid-level musings aside): Loss of his wife, increasingly dragon-styled armor, dominion over various monstrous creatures... That's why the post-credit scene did not annoy me like an overeager post-Unbreakable Shyamalan twist ending would have. It was really more a matter of "OK, cool, where do we go from here?"

Looking forward to a sequel.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2010, 03:15 AM #15 of 16
Same, super excited about this DLC.

EDIT: Here are some artworks/screens from the dlc:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_lords_...-10345_en.html

Looks like you play as Laura for at least part of it.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Konami still makes non MGS games?