Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Boston flips out when people report LED Mooninites as bombs

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:14 PM #26 of 60
http://raplica.com/store/shirts/Adlt_Swim/mooninite

TOTALLY WANT ONE.

Oddly enough...tonight's episode is the first one featuring the Plutonians.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Dopefish; Feb 1, 2007 at 12:02 AM.
ArchesFan
And for my next trick....he'll confess.

Member 7800

Level 11.26

Jun 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:06 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 12:06 AM #27 of 60
Obviously this may have been a scare for some Boston people, but it was a huge success to boost publicity about the show and adult swim. Ignignokt (sp?) and Err are just the coolest though.

Ignignokt: "And remember everyone there are no dumb questions here."

Moth-monster man: "Umm, I have a question."

Ignignokt: "Yes? The retard with the dumb question?"

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Goodbye Veronica Mars...
You will be missed for a long time.
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:13 AM #28 of 60
omg.....::running out of breath:: I saw this shit beofre I headed out for work, sounded like a prank anyways, I diddnt expect this, though its is all publicity for the recently announced theatrical film but, man, what an execution in promotion.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:19 AM #29 of 60
Will be on front page of all regional newspapers too. Outstanding.

Most amazing jew boots
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:40 AM #30 of 60
"Err--explain our greatness to them."

"We scared the people in Boston."

"That's right Err. Our mere image is enough to prove our greatness."

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:45 AM #31 of 60
hmmmm..off to get some newspapers tomorrow, this stuff is too hard to miss.

FELIPE NO
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:57 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 03:57 PM #32 of 60
This going to show up on South Park soon, right?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 05:36 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 04:36 AM #33 of 60
Originally Posted by CNN
"It had a very sinister appearance," Coakley told reporters. "It had a battery behind it, and wires."
OMG!!! NOT WIRES!!!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
ArchesFan

Member 7800

Level 11.26

Jun 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:40 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 09:40 AM #34 of 60
I'm still amazed how much of an over-reaction this marketing ploy was. It reminds me of some Mission Impossible 3 advertising scheme where they put a little speaker thing on newspaper stands in some city and when you opened it up to get a paper, it would play the MI theme and someone reported that it looked like a bomb. So the police came and the bomb squad and they blew it up and then they realized, "Oh it's just a speaker promoting Mission Impossible 3."

"Well I'm not going to put those signs up all over Boston, I'm the digital ruler. You get a slave to do that. Would anyone like to join our slavery program? ......You'll get college credit. Shoot."

Goodbye Veronica Mars...
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 09:56 AM #35 of 60
Didnt you know that the only thing with wires are bombs?!

And that the only kind of fish you can eat is cod?!

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:11 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 08:11 AM #36 of 60
My PS2 had wires. That's probably why it blew up.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:35 AM #37 of 60
The best part is how the TV news blurred out the device because of the middle finger.

I don't see any on Ebay yet, but I'll bet at least a few of these signs from the other cities wind up for sale.

I was speaking idiomatically.
ArchesFan

Member 7800

Level 11.26

Jun 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:53 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 10:53 AM #38 of 60
If they were smart they would actually make and sell some. It might get some redicule, but a lot of people would buy them now.

Goodbye Veronica Mars...
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:33 AM #39 of 60
The best part is how the TV news blurred out the device because of the middle finger.
I saw it different networks weather they show it without the mosaic (for christ sakes, how can you mistake an upside down 'T' with 'tha bird'?)

the papers arent different at all. The Boston Globe and the Herald had it ont he frint page uncensored as well as the other papers from teh state above.

FELIPE NO
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:41 AM #40 of 60
My PS2 had wires. That's probably why it blew up.
Good thing you don't live in Boston!

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:42 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 09:42 AM #41 of 60
Wicked lol. =p

I wish they put some here in DC, but I guess that would most definitely not have gone so well...

waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:47 AM #42 of 60
Wicked lol. =p

I wish they put some here in DC, but I guess that would most definitely not have gone so well...
Instead, we get the ads that remind me of Phoenix Wright.

Motion Denied!
Objection Sustained!

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:03 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2007, 02:03 AM #43 of 60
Two guys charged for this act of terrorism so far.

Originally Posted by CNN
Peter Berdovsky and Sean Stevens were released on $2,500 bail, said Mike Rich, their attorney. The next pre-trial hearing is scheduled for March 7.

In a news conference, Rich told reporters he had advised his clients not to discuss the incident. Stevens and Berdovsky took the podium and said they were taking questions only about haircuts in the 1970s.

When a reporter accused them of not taking the situation seriously, Stevens responded, "We're taking it very seriously." Asked another question about the case, Stevens reiterated they were answering questions only about hair and accused the reporter of not taking him and Berdovsky seriously.

Reporters did not relent and as they continued, Berdovsky disregarded their queries, saying, "That's not a hair question. I'm sorry."
Legendary. I need to see that video, hopefully someone will put it up on YouTube or something.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:01 PM #44 of 60

Epic.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 04:18 PM #45 of 60
Wil fucking Wheaton chimes in about this...

Quote:
You know, the way the Media is behaving regarding the whole [adult swim] marketing deal in Boston is really pissing me off. The Media decided this thing was intended to be a terrorism hoax (when there is no evidence at all that's what it was) and now they're all howling for some terrible retribution against Turner, [adult swim] and the advertising agency that came up with the idea.

As far as I can tell, this is what happened:

1. [adult swim] has a clever viral marketing program.
2. People begin to notice the clever viral marketing program.
3. Someone wets their pants, because LEDs in an odd shape clearly mean we're all about to die.
4. Police overreact.
5. Media overreacts.
6. Entire city of Boston is fucked for an entire day.
7. Entire city of Boston is (understandably) pissed.
8. Media, which overreacted and labeled the viral marketing campaign a terrorist hoax, decides that [adult swim] and Turner somehow owe people of Boston an apology, and also owe city all the costs the city incurred as a result of Media-induced hysteria. There's a rather angry editorial at boston.com which really lays into Turner for perpetuating a "terrorist hoax" on an innocent city. The only problem with that is that it wasn't a fucking terrorist hoax! It was a viral marketing campaign that went awry when a bunch of people over-reacted.

So the first thing is that the fucking idiot media need to stop referring to this as a terrorist hoax, because it wasn't, okay? And all these politicians and newsdrones who are embarrassed now that it's clear they overreacted also need to stop trying so hard to put this all at Turner's feet.

Look, I'd be pissed, too, if my whole city was effectively shut down for a day, but how exactly is [adult swim] and Turner responsible for this? Did they tell their viewers to go out and create some sort of terrorist hoax? I'm pretty sure they just told their viewers to build cool LED versions of the Mooninites (which is pretty fucking cool, if you ask me.) As far as I can tell, it was the media and law enforcement who decided to freak out and make everyone in the city of Boston think it was some sort of terrorist plot, and then a terrorist hoax.

Continuing to equate a silly viral marketing stunt with a bomb threat is just ridiculous (and wrong,) and it actually devalues real threats and hoaxes. Remember the 2004 election, when DHS, at the direction of the Bush campaign, jacked up terror warnings whenever Kerry began to rise in the polls, or Bush began to sink? After the third or fourth time that happened, did anyone take any of those warnings seriously? I know I didn't, and that's where the real danger in this whole thing is: the media was so irresponsible and overreacted so supremely in this instance, if there's a very real threat in the near future, how many people won't take it seriously, because they remember this one and all the others?

You know, if the goal of terrorists and the whole point of terrorism is to scare the shit out of us so badly that we leap ten feet in the air whenever someone says "boo," then the terrorists are clearly kicking our national asses.
http://syndicated.livejournal.com/wi...on/344010.html

(So Wesley can solve a goddamned Warp Bubble that is slowly crushing his mom's universe - but he can't save Boston from fake bombs? This kid aint no genius)

I was speaking idiomatically.
Tortalius
Space-ish not that we know what that means.

Member 1680

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 04:59 PM #46 of 60
Wow. that's AMAZING. seriously.

SIG POLICE SAY: Technically only two images allowed in a sig at once, unless special clemency is granted. So seek out special clemency if you try it again. kthxbye.
PS what you've got is still pretty annoying
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 05:18 PM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 05:18 PM #47 of 60
I was just leaving the Pool hall and saw a glimpse of some breaking new on the TV... had no idea what it was about. Then I saw it on CNN.com. Honestly, I cannot believe that there would be a terror scare over that.... But I guess in this post 9/11 United States and many places around the world, things like this happen more frequently.

FELIPE NO
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:05 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 10:05 AM #48 of 60
Legendary. I need to see that video, hopefully someone will put it up on YouTube or something.
Yeah. Here's the link to the video of the press conference if you haven't already found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2ytr2Oyv4

Hilarious.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:24 PM #49 of 60
So Turner and the ad agency are going to pay $2 million to resolve this mess. From a PR standpoint, I guess this is the right thing to do, but honestly I wish Turner had just said, "Hey stupid, it didn't look like a terrorist device, and we're not paying for your paranoia!"

Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:53 PM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 11:53 AM #50 of 60
Not only was the ad campaign fantastic, that press conference was amazing. Props to them.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Boston flips out when people report LED Mooninites as bombs