Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Badges? We dont need no stinkin' Badges!!

Cat9
Chocobo

Member 465

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 12:18 PM Local time: May 19, 2006, 09:18 AM #1 of 33
Badges? We dont need no stinkin' Badges!!

Sad news today: Iran considering a law that would force non-muslims to wear special badges...this sounds familiar.
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...f-546709b1240f

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Is there a Deadwood board game out yet?
"Go back 3 spaces you loopy fuckin' cunt"
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 08:34 PM #2 of 33
Or Not.

Information from Ex-Patriots isn't that terribly reliable, seeing as they're usually biased by hatred and desperate for publicity anyhow. It was crap before the Iraqi was, and crap here as well.
See also

Quote:
But western journalists based in Iran told their Canadian colleagues that they were unaware of any such law.

And Iranian politicians - including a Jewish legislator in Tehran - were infuriated by the Post report, which they called false.

Politician Morris Motamed, one of about 25,000 Jews who live in Iran, called the report a slap in the face to his minority community.

"Such a plan has never been proposed or discussed in parliament," Motamed told the Associated Press.

"Such news, which appeared abroad, is an insult to religious minorities here."

There's nowhere I can't reach.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 08:53 PM Local time: May 19, 2006, 06:53 PM #3 of 33
Originally Posted by Cat9
Sad news today: Iran considering a law that would force non-muslims to wear special badges...this sounds familiar.
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...f-546709b1240f

I find it amusing that the link works, yet the article is missing from there. If it was true, then perhaps we are seeing history repeating itself. Well at least I rest assured that even the Canadian media sucks like the American media.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 10:05 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 01:05 PM #4 of 33
Sounds like another faultless translation from the Washington Zion-Bagels Institute.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
Wesker
Darn you to heck!

Member 1325

Level 11.78

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 02:14 AM #5 of 33
This story is all over the news wires. Time will tell if its true or not. The frightening part is how easily believable the story is given the psychotic nature of the current Iranian leadership. If it turns out to be true will anyone be suprised??

I was speaking idiomatically.
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 05:35 AM Local time: May 20, 2006, 08:35 PM #6 of 33
Conservative theocrat he may be, but psychotic, I don't think so.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
Wesker
Darn you to heck!

Member 1325

Level 11.78

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 12:19 PM #7 of 33
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/12/14/iran.israel/

Statements like this don't sound nuts to you? This goes beyond just conservative..into more of an insane world view.

FELIPE NO
Arainach

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 12:21 PM #8 of 33
Originally Posted by Wesker

Statements like this don't sound nuts to you? This goes beyond just conservative..into more of an insane world view.
Yeah, it's called "Religion".

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
NaklsonofNakkl
Th3 0m3n

Member 6922

Level 10.17

May 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 09:32 AM #9 of 33
This is not going to go over well with any nation, especially after all the crap leading from that in WWII, i highly doubt we will let that history repeat itself. >_> anyone want to go swimming in the gulf of Iran?
Although i knew something like this would happen especially in a religious place like Iran i am just worried about the dispute between Israel and Iran getting a little bigger than hoped for, especially with Iran 'mining for nuklear energy' or so they say. Sadly, people do crazy things for reliogion...lets just hope that Iran doesn't do anything it might soon regret...

Come, Dance the Dance of Love!
Wesker
Darn you to heck!

Member 1325

Level 11.78

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 12:36 PM #10 of 33
Originally Posted by Arainach
Yeah, it's called "Religion".
So you are equating ALL religion with a desire for violent overthrow of other religions and the rewriting of world history? Those damned Tibetan Buddhists and their desire to destroy all non Buddhists!!!!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
PattyNBK
255% Bitch, 78% Slut

Member 1397

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 04:13 PM #11 of 33
Originally Posted by Cal
Conservative theocrat he may be, but psychotic, I don't think so.
Just thought I'd mention that I consider "conservative theocrat" and "psychotic" almost synonymous.

As for the topic, well . . . I hate the war in Iraq, but if Iran even dared to do this, I would fully support a pre-emptive strike to destroy them. Way too "Hitler-inspired" for my tastes. Iran was worse than Iraq even before the war in Iraq started.

How ya doing, buddy?
Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Why are you arguing with WoW players? It's pronounced "Shut the fuck up and get a job. Raiding isn't a job." - Lukage
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 04:40 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 02:40 PM #12 of 33
So you are equating ALL religion with a desire for violent overthrow of other religions and the rewriting of world history? Those damned Tibetan Buddhists and their desire to destroy all non Buddhists!!!!
Buddhism is more of a philosophy then a religion. It's intellectualism outweighs the faith-based beliefs of a dualistic world.

It certainly doesn't have quite the colorful and violent history comparable to the monotheist religions.

Originally Posted by PattyNBK
I hate the war in Iraq, but if Iran even dared to do this, I would fully support a pre-emptive strike to destroy them.
Yeah, and let's use nuclear weapons to do it. Any means necessary to stop something so horrible from happening. Right? Isn't that the point? At this particular point you are not considering whether this story is full of shit or not. Just like Iraq's WMD stash.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 05:03 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 11:03 PM #13 of 33
I'd like to thank Watts for posting almost word-for-word what I would have said after reading the relevant posts. Buddhism is so different from Islam, Christianity and Judaism as to warrant entirely separate consideration. When the word "religion" is used as an umbrella term, it is perhaps wise to consider that the better term would have been "monotheistic religion". To authorise a pre-emptive strike to destroy Iran without substantial further consideration would be to repeat the mistakes of recent history.

That having been said, I find it equally hard to agree with Arainach's post. There are thousands of Christians and Jews, and even moslems in this world who are entirely moderate and inoffensive in their views. It seems to be the case that militant Islamic Fundamentalists represent a significant proportion of the world's moslem population, but they are hardly the basis on which we should judge the whole of it, any more than the Ku Klux Klan and Pat Robertson represent a basis on which to judge Christians.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Soluzar; May 20, 2006 at 05:06 PM.
Arainach

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 08:44 PM #14 of 33
I'd be more sympathetic to "normal" Christians and Muslims if they ever thought for themselves instead of just voting like Pat Robertson or Bin Laden tell them to.

Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 08:45 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 08:45 PM #15 of 33
Why are you being such an asshole, Arainach?

How ya doing, buddy?
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 08:53 PM #16 of 33
Originally Posted by Arainach
I'd be more sympathetic to "normal" Christians and Muslims if they ever thought for themselves instead of just voting like Pat Robertson or Bin Laden tell them to.
Why don't you quit using sweeping over-generalizations? Really, it's annoying.

I know plenty of Christians, including myself, who are not only capable of thinking for themselves but also actually do think for themselves. Personally, I have watched Pat Robertson once a long time ago, and I don't personally know of to many other Christians that watch him. I'm not Muslim, but I'm sure it's the same thing for them concerning Muslims listening to exremist leaders.

As for this badge craziness, although it does discriminate and all that jazz, this is Iran were talking about. It is a primarily Muslim state run by folks who themselves are Muslim and don't have any sort of checks and balances such as those we have in other democratic nations. Iran can get away with this sort of crap, how is this news?

Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 09:58 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 12:58 PM #17 of 33

Have you even read the letter?

The Holocaust line's mistranslated and removed from context. And the continental re-establishment of Israel is grandstanding, pure and simple.

I like how Bush can say he's faith-driven and you're all 'yeah, no worries' but as soon as the same sort of thing's put through a Eurasian lens it's invariably NOW SEE HERE, ADOLF.

LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 10:02 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 09:02 PM #18 of 33
I agree with Cal.

He's not psychotic, he's just a religious nutjob, as is Bush.

Most amazing jew boots
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 10:16 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 01:16 PM #19 of 33
The snigga's livin' in a theocracy. His religious beliefs are going to inform his policy to some extent.

Is it so much to assume that it's part of the job and role of the office, and not some indoctrination by whichever cleric's hand he gets seen holding?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
Wesker
Darn you to heck!

Member 1325

Level 11.78

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 10:39 PM #20 of 33
A quote from the Iranian president

The West has given more significance to the myth of the genocide of the Jews, even more significant than God, religion, and the prophets," he said. "(It) deals very severely with those who deny this myth but does not do anything to those who deny God, religion, and the prophet."

The "myth" of genocide???? And what pray tell has Bush said that rises to this level.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 10:50 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 10:50 PM #21 of 33
The frightening part is how easily believable the story is
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, shall we, munchkin? You basically just said "This may or may not be true, but it damn well should be!"

You, sir, are the most frightening thing about this article. Because you are the fish that swallowed hook, line, and sinker before ever stopping to consider the ridiculousness of your conclusions.

Originally Posted by Watts
Buddhism is more of a philosophy then a religion. It's intellectualism outweighs the faith-based beliefs of a dualistic world.

It certainly doesn't have quite the colorful and violent history comparable to the monotheist religions.
I don't think its history has anything to do with the presence or lack of intellectualism in its doctrine. It's simply part and parcel of Buddhism to want to reduce suffering in any form.

But you make an interesting distinction, where normally I would see none. I think personal philosophy (or communal philosophy) serves the same purpose as religion, even if the connotations of the general public may differ depending on whether we call it "religion" or not. Anyone that's living their life based on a set of rules or expectations has their own religion.

I was speaking idiomatically.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 10:51 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 09:51 PM #22 of 33

The West has given more significance to the myth of the genocide of the Jews, even more significant than God, religion, and the prophets," he said. "(It) deals very severely with those who deny this myth but does not do anything to those who deny God, religion, and the prophet."

The "myth" of genocide???? And what pray tell has Bush said that rises to this level.

Bush has said nothing to that level.

Just because they're religious nutjobs doesn't mean they're both anti-semites.

Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 11:34 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 02:34 PM #23 of 33

Quote:
Some Western powers admit that they have killed a large part of Jewish population in Europe and founded the occupied regime in order to put right the wrong they had committed.

With deference to all nations and followers of divine religions, we are asking if this atrocity is true, then why the people of the [Palestinian] region should pay for it by occupation of Palestinian lands and unending suppression of Palestinian people, by homelessness of millions of Palestinians, by destruction of their cities and rural areas and agricultural lands.
Ahmadinejad isn't calling the Holocaust a myth but calling out those who have exploited it--those responsible for its mythologisation--at the cost of marginalising another group of people in order to further a political agenda.

FELIPE NO
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
Saiken
The Watcher

Member 5436

Level 2.12

Apr 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 01:12 AM Local time: May 21, 2006, 07:12 AM #24 of 33
Quote:
The actual legislation passed by the Iranian parliament regulates women's fashion, and urges the establishment of a national fashion house that would make Islamically appropriate clothing. There is a vogue for "Islamic chic" among many middle class Iranian women that involves, for instance, wearing expensive boots that cover the legs and so, it is argued, are permitted under Iranian law.
The story concerning badges is indeed false.
See here and here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyNBK
As for the topic, well . . . I hate the war in Iraq, but if Iran even dared to do this, I would fully support a pre-emptive strike to destroy them. Way too "Hitler-inspired" for my tastes. Iran was worse than Iraq even before the war in Iraq started.
And that would improve things? War is always beyond terrible, especially for civilian population and in that region, there is simply no hope for anything even resembling a democracy as we know it.
Only following types of goverment can exist there:
a) a theocracy (can be stable, but do not expect it to be a human rights champion)
b) an authoritarian state (this type is required if one hopes to establish something resembling a stable, secular state)
c) a state of chaos, with powerful warlords and civil war (the worst possible outcome, is usually created after foreign intervention).

Also, please read the following links. Compared to current situation, Iraq under Hussein was a great place to live in.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...183948,00.html
Quote:
THE death threat was delivered to Karazan’s father early in the morning by a masked man wearing a police uniform.
The scribbled note was brief. Karazan had to die because he was gay. In the new Baghdad, his sexuality warranted execution by the religious militias.

The father was told that if he did not hand his son over, other family members would be killed.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/19/wo...ewanted=1&_r=1
Quote:
But when six armed men stormed into their sons' primary school this month, shot a guard dead, and left fliers ordering it to close, Assad Bahjat knew it was time to leave.

"The main thing now is to just get out of Iraq," said Mr. Bahjat, standing in a room heaped with suitcases and bedroom furniture in eastern Baghdad.

In the latest indication of the crushing hardships weighing on the lives of Iraqis, increasing portions of the middle class seem to be doing everything they can to leave the country. In the last 10 months, the state has issued new passports to 1.85 million Iraqis, 7 percent of the population and a quarter of the country's estimated middle class.

Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 03:37 AM Local time: May 21, 2006, 01:37 AM #25 of 33
Originally Posted by Skexis
I don't think its history has anything to do with the presence or lack of intellectualism in its doctrine.
Plenty of people throughout history have killed or died over their belief system. Few people have killed or died over their ideas, particularly ideas searching about the nature of their existence. There's a clearly defined line in that sense between ideas and beliefs. The same line that divides religion and philosophy. Ideas and philosophy can be changed quite easily. Not necessarily true of religion/beliefs.

It could be argued that Buddhism does have a few religious beliefs (assumptions?) attached to it, namely that life/existence is pain and suffering. Which is brought about by expectations and wants. This is pretty general compared to what most organized religions believe. Believing that one person in history was the son of god and savior of mankind is more clearly defined.

Originally Posted by Skexis
But you make an interesting distinction, where normally I would see none. I think personal philosophy (or communal philosophy) serves the same purpose as religion, even if the connotations of the general public may differ depending on whether we call it "religion" or not. Anyone that's living their life based on a set of rules or expectations has their own religion.
Not many people think so, but I do think that it'd be possible for a person to hold Buddhist/Eastern ideals and yet still adhere to some sort of religous dogma without there being any contradiction. Whether that dogma be New-Age/Paganism/Wiccan, or monothestic beliefs. This requires similar thinking about the nature of philosophy and religion though.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Badges? We dont need no stinkin' Badges!!