Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Dealing with soon-to-be loss

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:41 PM #1 of 7
Dealing with soon-to-be loss

Over the past year my grandparent's health have gone south physically and negatively.

My grandfather was in an accident many years ago where the results took a toll on his body and now have taken an even larger toll. Last June he went into the hospital where doctors basically said they couldn't do surgery on him due to those injuries.

Since that time, his health has gotten worse. He saw a doctor last November who told him he had one to six months to live.

This proclamation has turned out fairly accurate so far. He now has to get around with a wheel chair. A few weeks back his oxygen got knocked off leaving him in a groggy state. As of the last few days he isn't eating nor using the restroom. They have him in hospice care at his home but we all know it's only a matter of time.

My grandmother on the other hand is suffering from advanced Alzheimer's. Her mind has steadily gotten worse as she began to confuse the past and the future, and facts with fiction. A couple weeks back she didn't really recognize my father.

I read up on what happens with Alzheimer's patients and the end result is grim.

Part of me has been so busy the last few months that I haven't had time to sort out my emotions on this. Part of me has also been wishfully thinking that my grandparents would get better. However, given what has happened the last two weeks and given i have had time to finally process what has happened, I have accepted the truth of the matter. However, this acceptance has been very hard. This leads to two things:

1.) Do you have any advice on how I can personally deal with what is going on?

2.) Do you have any advice on what I should do about my grandparents? Both are getting so out of it that I'm not sure visiting them would do much.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:06 PM #2 of 7
You will regret not seeing them. Even if you're heart is broken seeing them in their deathbeds, you will regret not making the effort.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:27 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2010, 09:27 AM #3 of 7
There's no easy way to do this. My grandma was diagnosed with kidney failure, a transplant was out of the question and she refused dialysis. In that kind of situation, it's only a matter of time, the question being when. I told myself that she has led a full life and that death would be a welcome release from her current suffering. I doubt I was convinced about that.

This is probably one of the situations where religious belief has an advantage. If you believe that you will see each other again, it sort of comforts you a bit since you believe the separation is only temporary.

A lurker is right. You will regret not seeing them, no matter how much it pains you. All I can say is, try to make the best out of the remaining time you have with them.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2010, 08:56 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2010, 02:56 PM 2 #4 of 7
My Gran is mad as a box of otters these days but she's still always over the moon to receive guests and even though she couldn't tell you what happened yesterday if her life depended on it, she's got near perfect recall about most of the last century so it's not like talking to someone with Altzheimers is a completely one way street. Everyine dies at some point and a lot of people get sick just before hand. You've got to confront that at some point because eventually it's going to be your parents or a sibling or another even closer loved one and you're going to need to deal with it. Go and see them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:10 PM #5 of 7
All, thanks for your advice.

As it turned out, we were planning to visit my grandfather tomorrow (my birthday). Unfortunately, he passed away today.

As it were, I am somewhat at peace with everything now. One of the things I wanted to express was how much I care and how highly I thought about him. However, after reflecting the things we have done and the things I did, I think he already knew that.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:07 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2010, 06:07 PM #6 of 7
mortis, my sincerest condolenses for you and your family.
Losing family is never easy. I'm sure your grandfather was happy to have you as a grandchild.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Dealing with soon-to-be loss