Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Windows 7

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:45 AM #1 of 103
Chances are that if it's not even public yet, there WILL be problems. Pretty much every new iteration of an operating system has issues with programs at first.

Then again, Windows 7 doesn't seem like much of a rehash over Vista. If you use Vista, using W7 might not be all that different at this point. I'd just stick with what you've got for now, to be honest.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2009, 06:02 PM #2 of 103
Despite my comment above, I actually downloaded and installed W7 the other day when it was released. I have to say it's quite nice; but it's still fairly similar to Vista. Some main changes are the 'Superbar' [the new Taskbar], and the folder panel on the left of the Explorer windows. I like this new version, I find it's way easier to navigate.

There also seems to be a huge performance increase over previous OSs I've used. Maybe it's just me though, or maybe it's just because it's a fresh install.

In the way of apps, I haven't had any compatibility issues or anything so far.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:33 AM #3 of 103
Another nice thing they've added to the OS [which is merely eye-candy, but still] is the desktop wallpaper thing. You can now select a bunch of wallpapers, and a 'time frame', and the wallpapers will cycle slideshow-style through the ones you selected.

A nice tie-in for something like The Week Project wallpapers.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:04 PM #4 of 103
Mmm, aside from the expiration, that sounds rather promising. Thus far, you have encountered few driver and program compatibility problems, am I correct?
Acer pretty much nailed it with this one. Pretty much everything he's listed there I've also tested, and they all work fine. The one exception is... I'm using uTorrent v1.8.1, and have no problems with it whatsoever.

I haven't had any problems installing drivers though. Everything seems to be working just fine.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:33 PM #5 of 103
There's some pretty neat [not that I use them] keyboard shortcuts now, too. For example...

Win+Up Maximize
Win+Down Restore / Minimize
Win+Left Snap to left (pressing again will jump over to the next monitor)
Win+Right Snap to right
Win+Shift+Left Jump to monitor on the left
Win+Shift+Right Jump to monior on the right

Win+Home Minimize / Restore all other windows

Win+T Focus the first taskbar entry
(pressing again will cycle through them, you can can arrow around)

Win+Space Peek at the desktop
Win+G Bring gadgets to the top of the z-order

Win + # key Launches a new instance of the application in the Nth slot on the taskbar.
Example: Win+1 launches first pinned app, Win+2 launches second, etc.

Plus a bunch more, though I think this is the bulk of the 'new' ones.

Then there's the eye candy. I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but you know how when you start a program via the taskbar, it sort of 'fwooshes' a glow across the icon? It seems the glow colour is totally dependent on the main colour in the icon.

The 'glow' also follows the mouse cursor around. Fun!
Well eventually they'll run out of beta keys to hand out. Maybe.
Well, technically they only have 3625 keys before they run out, using their current form for product keys. Then again, if it ever got to that point, you could just type in whatever you wanted and the key would work.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Sousuke; Jan 15, 2009 at 07:42 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Windows 7