Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Web Design/Development

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:28 AM Local time: Nov 1, 2006, 12:28 AM #51 of 58
Originally Posted by GRUN-1
http://www.csszengarden.com/

^ Pure sex.

Also, blah, <span> is not a deprecated element, wtf?

I've already explained twice that the workaround method was deprecated, not the element. Apparently the term "deprecated" sets off warning bells in everyone.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:54 AM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 04:54 PM #52 of 58
I know you can do regular rollovers in CSS; that wasn't what I asked. I meant hovering over one image (note, an IMAGE, not a little coloured region with an ugly little bit of arial in it) and causing several other images to change at once. I'll just look around a bit more and see if I can find something in CSS that isn't bland.

EDIT: OK, this looks pretty decent, although still good old reliable columns:
http://deepblue.indika.net.id/

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint; Oct 31, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:58 AM Local time: Nov 1, 2006, 12:58 AM #53 of 58
CSS is only as bland as the designer.

(tee hee)

Man, I haven't read Malay/Indonesian for a while.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:58 PM #54 of 58
I think this site has some cool stuff.

http://veerle.duoh.com/index.php

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
MeTaL_oRgY
Good Chocobo

Member 375

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 01:13 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 12:13 PM #55 of 58
Originally Posted by Erisu Kimu
I kind of do think that pure CSS-based sites are limited in everything else besides visual. CSS is after all for style and design of the layout. I think the whole purpose of using pure CSS is to get away from table layouts. Why? I have no clue. I think with tables it's way easier to structure things in proportion. With CSS, it just feels like one big pain in the ass, because you have to pretend to think that there are tables, but really you're using divs and margins. In the end, I would say that it's obviously geared towards the graphic designers. CSS has its place like all the other web elements, but they're only effective if used for the right things.
The point for using DIVs instead of tables is semantic code. A table is for TABULAR data. A layout is not tabular data. A DIV is for grouping elements.

And if you are trying to pretend that DIVs are tables when coding a CSS layout, you're doing it wrong. You don't need to pretend DIVs are tables, but blocks of elements. As you said, all the web elements have it's place; you just need to use them for the right things.

And the whole reason for using CSS as much as you can instead of tables/javascript or anything else you can think of is mere accessibility. It loads faster, it's semantic and withouth CSS, chances are that it will still work.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by MeTaL_oRgY; Oct 31, 2006 at 01:16 PM.
Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 02:38 PM #56 of 58
Originally Posted by MeTaL_oRgY
The point for using DIVs instead of tables is semantic code. A table is for TABULAR data. A layout is not tabular data. A DIV is for grouping elements.
I know that tables are for tabular data. It's what they were originally used for. However, it's also a nice way of structuring things. HTML without tables is too simple on the other hand, although tables weren't used in the early days for website layouts.

And if you are trying to pretend that DIVs are tables when coding a CSS layout, you're doing it wrong. You don't need to pretend DIVs are tables, but blocks of elements. As you said, all the web elements have it's place; you just need to use them for the right things.
I didn't say anything about pretending that divs are tables. I said that you have to pretend that there (not they're) are tables, but instead you're using divs and margins. This is for alignment, positioning, etc. In the same way as you can see content inside of a td tag on the left side or on the right side, you have to know the locations of where you're placing things. That's all I was saying.

And the whole reason for using CSS as much as you can instead of tables/javascript or anything else you can think of is mere accessibility. It loads faster, it's semantic and withouth CSS, chances are that it will still work.
Accessibility or quick loading isn't always what makes a good website though, but I understand what you're saying.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:12 PM #57 of 58
Originally Posted by Erisu Kimu
I think this site has some cool stuff.

http://veerle.duoh.com/index.php
Veerle's blog is great. I found it earlier this year in a web design magazine I was browsing through. I think he uses ExpressionEngine or something for his blog.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Shinka
Supercop

Member 1946

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:19 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 08:19 PM #58 of 58
removed dead link

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > Web Design/Development