Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Medical Insurance for students?

Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:03 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 07:03 PM #1 of 5
Medical Insurance for students?

Let me explain my situation. I plan on going back to school to work for a bachelors degree starting this fall. My current job with the bank won't allow me to take time off for classes during the day so my only option is to either take less units and add another 3 years before I can get my degree or quit the bank and work a part time job. I have applied for a few already but pretty much all of them don't offer some sort of benefits.

I don't care about vacation time or whatever. I'm more worried about losing my free medical, dental, and vision. Since I live on my own I can't leech off my sisters. Paying for it out of my own pocket (at least medical) would cost me an additional 200 a month. Medical is important in case something were to happen to me. I've been making monthly visits to kaiser the last for months for treatment on something.

What would you recommend I do? Are there any secrets for students to get fairly cheap medical coverage?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:09 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 10:09 PM #2 of 5
When I was an undergrad, the university offered a really cheap health care plan; it was essentially clinical, so anything major that might've come up would've been referred to the hospital, but even then it was a hospital owned and operated by the school, so it was still cheap for students.

So check with your advisor or someone in the SGA (they actually know more than they might let on) about campus health care.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
gidget
Shorter than girls should be.

Member 8290

Level 18.41

Jun 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:27 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 09:27 PM #3 of 5
For the University of California system, you're required to get the health insurance if you don't already have your own (through work or your parents). It's about $90 a month, and can be used year-round. I don't think the undergraduate version comes with dental/vision, but the graduate version does. I just looked it up, and the community college near me offers medical insurance as well, so the school you go to should have something.

Most amazing jew boots
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:49 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 12:49 AM #4 of 5
Most schools offer some sort of medical insurance for students, as they realize not all students are covered under their parents' plans.

Alternatively, I know Blue Cross/Blue Shield California has been advertising low-cost plans for younger people. They're geared towards people without any sort of chronic illnesses or rarely need to visit a doctor. It's more aimed at people that get sick now and then, or only see a doctor during ER visits.

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 03:09 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 02:09 AM #5 of 5

I was speaking idiomatically.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Medical Insurance for students?