Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Tournament] 2007 MLB Discussion Thread

Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:06 PM #26 of 184
Originally Posted by The Dopefish
Considering he's rumored to have pitched in more strenuous situations, I'd only take that bet as an irony bet.
I remember reading that he pitched a 250 pitch game or something - which I still find hard to believe, but even so that would be horrid on an arm and shoulder.

And I like the new D-Backs uniform (as well as their color-swapped logo). The red from the pale blue makes it seem better in my mind...

And it even matches the Arizona Cardinals in terms of general color (though hopefully they won't do as bad once the season starts).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:47 AM #27 of 184
Here's where I get really blown away by the whole Matsuzaka situation:

So, say the Sox sign him to a $60M/5yr deal, or $12M/yr, which is about what some analysts are suggesting they'll pay him (he is in his prime, anyway). Considering the Sox just chipped in $51M (we'll say it's $50M for math simplification), that means the Sox will really be paying $101M for a 5-year deal, or about $20M/yr for one guy. That's more than Manny gets paid (which I'm cool with; if Daisuke has any bit the work ethic of Ichiro that alone may pay for itself), and that's less than A-Rod gets and the same as Jeter and Giambi. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 03:46 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 12:46 PM #28 of 184
Doesn't A-Rod only (only!) make around $13 million this year?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:00 PM #29 of 184
If you break it down then probably, but over the span of the deal.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2006, 01:02 AM #30 of 184
Well Frank Thomas was picked up by the Blue Jays to be their DH - good pick up in my mind, they needed another big back to complement Vernon Wells.

Athletics might sign Barry Bonds as they're in need of a DH (since Thomas is now with the Jays) - I'm not so sure about this one.

Double Post:
Cubs signed Alfonso Soriano to an 8 year, 136 million dollar contract.

Article here.

Cubs are looking for a playoff berth this year as they resigned both Aramis Ramirez and Kerry Wood, while adding Mark DeRosa from the Rangers. Adding Soriano will help lots as he had an outstanding season last year.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Ryuu; Nov 19, 2006 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2006, 09:19 PM #31 of 184
Haha eat shit Jeter.

Also the 'stros got el Caballo for 100 mil. Who knows maybe the astros can be a good team for one whole season as opposed to having a good last two weeks and making the playoffs by the skin of their teeth.

FELIPE NO
Fiddlegoof
Chicken butt!

Member 16189

Level 13.88

Nov 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 01:09 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 11:09 PM #32 of 184
Any word from V-dub?

I've been busy recently, so I haven't been up to date with the latest trades, rumours and whatnot. I know about the Frank Thomas deal to the Jays, but has there been any word about Vernon Wells returning? Has he signed with another team? Or is a deal still in the making?

How ya doing, buddy?
Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2006, 06:14 AM #33 of 184
Originally Posted by Fiddlegoof
I've been busy recently, so I haven't been up to date with the latest trades, rumours and whatnot. I know about the Frank Thomas deal to the Jays, but has there been any word about Vernon Wells returning? Has he signed with another team? Or is a deal still in the making?
Uh...Vernon Wells isn't a free agent according to Yahoo. However:

Originally Posted by Yahoo.com
Dec 4 The Chicago Tribune reports the Chicago White Sox have shown interest in trading for Toronto Blue Jays OF Vernon Wells, who will be a free agent following the 2007 season.

What I'm interested in is all the stuff surrounding Manny, and the possibility of a three team deal.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:04 PM #34 of 184
Some of the bigger deals have been Carlos Lee to the Astros for 6 years and 100 mil, The Cardinals resigned Carpenter for 50mil or somethin near that, and soriano went to the Cubs for like 136 mil.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:45 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 08:45 PM #35 of 184
Apparently, the Pirates are now going after the highly coveted Trot Nixon. If we do manage to sign him, I can only see this turning out to be another "Jeremy Burnitz" kind of deal. Which, as you should know, is not what the Pirates need.

Fortunately, the Pirates also are going after Adam LaRoche, a young 1B who can hit for power. Hopefully we manage to get LaRoche, and maybe some more pitching talent, this off-season, while staying away from over-the-hill, overpriced players (like motherfucking Trot Nixon).

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:48 PM #36 of 184
Hey, Trot's not over-the-hill.

The Sox got two of the guys they wanted (JD Drew and Julio Lugo from Red Sox West a.k.a. the Dodgers...hey Grady and Nomar!) and couldn't get rid of the one they don't. Ought to be another fun-filled first half of Manny being Manny!

Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:27 AM #37 of 184
A lot of pitcher-related transactions recently:

Lilly to the Cubs, Schmidt to the Dodgers, Garcia traded to the Phillies, Maddux to the Padres, and Padilla resigned by the Rangers.

Not too many left, I don't think - Yankees and Red Soxs have their Japanese pitchers they need to get deals done with, Zito is still hanging around, and Pettite is looking to come back for the 2007 season.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:37 PM #38 of 184
Bonds is a Giant again.

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:44 PM #39 of 184
10 years ago, people were in an uproar at Albert Belle getting $55 million over 5 years. Today, when one of the most below-average starting pitchers on the market gets that same exact deal...It's just sad. I know KC has trouble attracting any talent worth a damn, but come on: Gil Meche isn't worth a damn. Or at least he's not an $11 million per year player.

I don't want to see what Zito goes for now...

FELIPE NO
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:20 AM #40 of 184
Originally Posted by GoldfishX
10 years ago, people were in an uproar at Albert Belle getting $55 million over 5 years. Today, when one of the most below-average starting pitchers on the market gets that same exact deal...It's just sad. I know KC has trouble attracting any talent worth a damn, but come on: Gil Meche isn't worth a damn. Or at least he's not an $11 million per year player.

I don't want to see what Zito goes for now...
Meche's 11 Million per year is ridiculous.

This is actually really bad for the Red Sox. They're trying to get a deal done with Matsuzaka, with Matsuzaka's agent looking around 15 million per year and the Red Soxs hoping for around 7-8 million per year (this was news from a while ago).

With Meche, who isn't worth 55 million over 5 years, getting as much money as he is, Matsuzaka's agent (Scott Boras, I believe) will be looking to reap in the dough. Matsuzaka WAS the MVP of the WBC, while also being 17-5 with a 2.13 ERA and 200 SOs. Meche was what, 11-8 with an ERA over 4.

Yes, it is the Majors Leagues versus the Japanese league, but nevertheless 17-5 with a 2.13 ERA is outstanding.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 02:11 AM #41 of 184
They'll (Red Sox and Matsu) get it done.

JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 04:49 PM #42 of 184
Yeah, that is rediculous that Gil Meche can get that kind of money, but with really only one big pitcher (Zito) left in the market, mediocre pitchers are going to get more money. Especially from a team like the Royals, who probably don't have a pitcher better than Meche. And haven't had one for the past 5 years.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:41 AM #43 of 184
Looks like the Sox are going to strike out on Daisuke.

Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2006, 07:38 PM #44 of 184
Originally Posted by The Dopefish
Looks like the Sox are going to strike out on Daisuke.
That reallly sucks for the Sox in more than one way.

On the other side, Yankees signed Andy Pettite, which should excite Yankees fans (like me).

JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 03:39 PM #45 of 184
Another aging past his prime pitcher getting paid too much money for the Yankees. Keep up the good work you jackasses.

Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2006, 03:51 PM #46 of 184
Bah. I like Pettite...

Anyway, Red Sox are doing a final push toward Matsuzaka. Though I finally found out how much more the Red Sox spent than the Yankees. $51 million to the Yankees $36 million. Jesus.

Either way though, I think Matsuzaka will sign. He wants to play in the leagues, Boras just wants more commission, that's all.

Oh, and Gagne was signed by the Rangers. If I remember right, the Rangers had reliever issues. Though Gagne has had shoulder/arm issues, so we'll see where this goes.

Fiddlegoof
Chicken butt!

Member 16189

Level 13.88

Nov 2006

Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:48 PM Local time: Dec 12, 2006, 08:48 PM #47 of 184
How much longer do you think Bonds will play? He's what? Forty something? He can hardly jump or run anymore, let alone hit home runs. Is he just going to stay in until he gets the home run record?

FELIPE NO
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:52 PM Local time: Dec 12, 2006, 09:52 PM #48 of 184
How much longer do you think Bonds will play? He's what? Forty something? He can hardly jump or run anymore, let alone hit home runs. Is he just going to stay in until he gets the home run record?
I think that Bonds will play until he beats the record. I hope he'll choose to step down before that happens, but I know he won't.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2006, 10:53 PM #49 of 184
Probably. Unless he gets injured or his body shuts down (he weakens and can't hit homeruns). Supposedly this should be the last season he plays. He's suppose to get the home run record this year, barring injury. Either of which would probably end his career, since the satisfaction of getting the record would be enough or getting injured once again would stop him from getting on the field again.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:02 PM #50 of 184
I'm wondering what Barry's motivation is here. As Fiddlegoof mentioned, the man barely has any defensive capability left, and he probably has to condition himself near to death to keep himself in good enough condition to run the bases. He should've gone to the American League to DH (I can't imagine him having a personal vendetta against the DH, like it's an impure baseball thing...they have him do it in interleague games), playing for Oakland and just get his 22 homeruns that way.

In other news, Interleague turns 10 this year. Success or failure? For me it's a success, but what I'd like is for some teams in different leagues to play each other each year no matter what (Boston v. Mets or Braves or Marlins thanks Theo) instead of the rotating divisional schedule they have now and since 2001 (AL East vs. NL West this year? FAGS).

Last edited by Dopefish; Dec 12, 2006 at 11:11 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Tournament] 2007 MLB Discussion Thread