Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Ziggy Stardust
Life on Mars?

Member 18789

Level 1.60

Jan 2007

Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:22 PM #1076 of 1376
Lightbulb

From my perspective, Christian black metal is a stupid concept. The very sound of the music is pretty much against any kind of Christian theme. I listen to a lot of black metal these days, having began to take interest in the genre last December after knowing about it for a couple of years, and I don't necessarily subscribe to any kind of Pagan or Satanic ideologies, but I think it's entirely contradictory of the "pure" Christian nature to use the filthy sound of music pioneered by Satanists and Pagan revivalists to pass any kind of message. It almost comes off like they're trying to convert the nonbelievers who listen to this style of music, or something idiotic like that. I just find it unappealing. I wonder if Jesus would approve of this music.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:34 PM 1 #1077 of 1376
While I agree that there is probably a primary motive of "converting" listeners of black metal, I just don't get why people think it's a stupid idea. All they did was steal the sound and change the lyrics to promote a different idea. I don't see the sound of black metal and the lyrical content of black metal as being dependent on one another. Do they go well together? Yes. But I don't think it's any different, or any more dumb than Christian bands piggy-backing on top of other musical genres. Come to think of it, its not really any more or less stupid than the lyrical content of "true" black metal .

I don't really think Jesus would care, on principle, as long as it isn't changing your heart (as much as I hate to sound preachy/sappy/stupid, that's the best way I could think to put it). I listen to Tvangeste on a regular basis, but I don't find myself hating Christians or being any more angry than I normally am. If you let music shape your views and determine who you are, you are an idiot. Just enjoy music for music's sake. I don't normally even like to listen to most Christian music because it exists for the purpose of promoting a cause. It doesn't exist for music's sake, it exists for an ideology's sake. If it's musically sound - then sure, I'll listen. But more often then not when a band starts caring more about their message than they do about writing good music and having a good time, (at least from what I've seen) the quality of music starts sucking.

Most amazing jew boots

FGSFDS!!!
Ziggy Stardust
Life on Mars?

Member 18789

Level 1.60

Jan 2007

Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:54 PM 1 #1078 of 1376
Lightbulb

But I don't think it's any different, or any more dumb than Christian bands piggy-backing on top of other musical genres. Come to think of it, its not really any more or less stupid than the lyrical content of "true" black metal .
I don't care how "true" a band is, I just find Christian black metal stupid and ironic, since they're using music that relies on aesthetics created largely out of hatred for them to spread their message. Apparently Christian musicians aren't content with watering down alternative and adult contemporary music and turning it into banal uplifting trash, so they've decided to jump on the metal bandwagon.

Quote:
I listen to Tvangeste on a regular basis, but I don't find myself hating Christians or being any more angry than I normally am. If you let music shape your views and determine who you are, you are an idiot..
Did you read the part of my post where I said that I don't subscribe to their ideologies? I don't go around burning churches and killing Christians just because I listen to black metal, and neither do most other people who do. I just don't like the fact that Christians have to invade every aspect of everything and try to convert or save people. It gets real old real fast.

Did you know that most of the "Christian" holidays and symbolisms were adapted from those of other (mostly pagan and Greco-Romanian) religions?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust; Oct 19, 2007 at 06:56 PM.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:27 AM Local time: Oct 20, 2007, 09:27 PM 1 #1079 of 1376
Yeah, everyone knows that. Did you know that Gamma Ray's new album is out on the internet?

This content has been hidden by the poster
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this hidden content. The conditions are: 100 posts
I wonder if there's any buddhist black metal bands out there. Or metal bands branching out of the usual christian/anti-christian/pagan/semetic themes. I know Japan has bands that incorporate metal with Japanese folklore/mythology.

FELIPE NO
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:28 AM Local time: Oct 21, 2007, 03:28 PM #1080 of 1376
Opinions on the new Nightwish album? I can upload it for anyone who wants it.

Personally, I think it's amazing. A few of my favourite tracks:
The Poet and the Pendulum - 14 minutes long, a mixture of something you might hear in a epic film combined with some shit hot rockin'. Definitely worth hearing if you're a fan of orchestration with rock.

Bye Bye Beautiful - A song about the departure of Tarja with lyrics such as "Did you ever hear what I told you? Did you ever read what I wrote down? Did you ever listen to what we played?". It reminds me of Wish I Had An Angel.

Amaranth - The catchiest and most radio friendly song on the album, still I don't see that as a bad thing - gotta love singing along.

Master Passion Greed - For me, the surprise track on the album. It's the most metal Nightwish have ever gone - and it works. Only Marco sings on this track, as well as a choir. The outro to this song is incredible, double bass drumming with a brass arrangement. Can't go wrong!

Whoever Brings the Night - Song written by the guitarist Emppu, very very very cool song. The guitars are great, the vocals are haunting, and of course the orchestra and choir does not disappoint.

7 Days To The Wolves - It's a grower, but still a very good song.

Meadows of Heaven - My favourite song that's tied between this and The Poet... It's one of the slower songs, but the gradual build up to the end is beautiful. The last 2 minutes of this song gives me shivers every time, the band breaks out along with the orchestra and oh yes - a gospel choir. Sounds weird, but god dammit it's amazing. Anette's vocals on this track just prove she was a great choice.

Preview of the Album MP3

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Sian; Oct 21, 2007 at 10:53 AM.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:33 PM Local time: Oct 21, 2007, 05:33 PM #1081 of 1376
"Bye Bye Beautiful" and the opening track are easily my favourites. Anette's voice is faaaar nicer than Tarja's imho.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:44 PM Local time: Oct 21, 2007, 11:44 AM #1082 of 1376
Anyone besides me and Iwata into Electric Wizard?

Their new record just leaked, and it's their best since Dopethrone easily. Hoping they do a Canadian tour this time.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
lightgem
Chocobo

Member 1010

Level 12.35

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:01 PM #1083 of 1376
Honestly, I don't see anything new on Nightwish's new album. Same old stuff. They're not being creative.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:44 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 11:44 PM #1084 of 1376
Honestly, I don't see anything new on Nightwish's new album. Same old stuff. They're not being creative.
I think the new album is much like a progression from the old stuff, and I do think they've peaked in terms of what they can do with their sound. What I mean by that is working with a full orchestra and choir instead of using keyboards like their early work. I love the Nightwish sound, so hearing it on a new album really doesn't bother me. I do think it'd be good to change their direction for the next album, since just a repeat of Dark Passion Play will disappoint. I think DPP is much like Once but the huge difference is obviously the new singer. In the meantime, I love the new material and I can't wait to see how Anette will perform live singing the new songs.

I've seen a few clips on Youtube, looks like they've re-recorded the backing track for Wishmaster with the choir and orchestra from DPP recording sessions and it sounds incredible. Mostly Anette does a really good job with the old material, sometimes it's a bit cringe worthy.

DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:53 PM #1085 of 1376
I like the Nightwish sound, but I don't see anything much original on the new album. Not necessarily a bad thing if you already like them though. They do some cool things, some unintentionally hilarious things (I Wish I Had An Angel, anyone?). I wouldn't put them up there with my greatest bands ever list, but I like 'em and listen to 'em.

I was speaking idiomatically.

FGSFDS!!!
lightgem
Chocobo

Member 1010

Level 12.35

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:55 PM #1086 of 1376
What I mean by that is working with a full orchestra and choir instead of using keyboards like their early work. I love the Nightwish sound, so hearing it on a new album really doesn't bother me. I do think it'd be good to change their direction for the next album, since just a repeat of Dark Passion Play will disappoint. I think DPP is much like Once but the huge difference is obviously the new singer. In the meantime, I love the new material and I can't wait to see how Anette will perform live singing the new songs.

I've seen a few clips on Youtube, looks like they've re-recorded the backing track for Wishmaster with the choir and orchestra from DPP recording sessions and it sounds incredible. Mostly Anette does a really good job with the old material, sometimes it's a bit cringe worthy.
Sian, I respect that. I agree Anette brings Nightwish a fresh surge of clarity. They are loved for their sound and characteristic. It matters little if they ever change style. However I would love to see some variation and creativity of the formula that they have been good at.

DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2007, 09:50 PM #1087 of 1376
My favorite Metal band Hammerfall, actually just released a 2CD greatest hits set that also has 2 new songs. It's called Steel Meets Steel. I also like Metallica and Iron Saviour. Not sure if any of the other bands I like classify as Metal.

FELIPE NO

"Out thought and out fought."
Zorro
I'll come up with something witty soon

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2007, 09:57 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2007, 04:57 AM #1088 of 1376
Too bad that Hammerfall churns out one piece of junk after the other. I actually liked the first two albums, but since then, oh, boy...

Zorro

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
~ Robert Wilensky ~
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:38 PM #1089 of 1376
Hmm, I take it discussing Soilwork and their new album [which I should get, I forgot] is considered heresy among the metalhead purists here?

Tagonist
The Age of Legends

Member 22583

Level 14.69

May 2007

Old Oct 27, 2007, 04:29 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2007, 11:29 AM #1090 of 1376
While it's not really Metal, I'm kinda wondering why nobody here (= on GFF) mentioned the new Coheed & Cambria album, which hit stores a week ago. Or did I just miss it...
Even after a week listening to it I'm not that sure what to think of it. It's got some nice songs and catchy tunes, but... I dunno... Can't point my finger to it. It seems less complex in the overall soundwork then previous releases.

How ya doing, buddy?

These are the Books of Harrow
They are our doom and our salvation
Learn from them, or we will all perish
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Oct 27, 2007, 07:23 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2007, 12:23 PM #1091 of 1376
Not metal, but it's alright. I don't like it as much as their last one; it hasn't got that same kind of epic feeling.

How ya doing, buddy?
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 04:25 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 01:25 AM #1092 of 1376
With Nightwish, I couldn't really get into the new vocalist at first, but after listening to bits and peices of the album, and then finally the disc fully, she's amazing.

The new album is great, and as I was listening to "Bye Bye Beautiful" I was also thinking it sounded much like "I wish I had an angel". I was expecting disappointment, but they didn't deliver any of that with Dark Passion Play.

Zorro

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:51 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 12:51 PM #1093 of 1376
I hated Tarja's opera singing with a passion, so no matter how good the melodies might have been (I really don't know, I can't take more than five consecutive seconds of Turunen terror), it wasn't for me. I listened into the teaser a couple of days ago and ordered the new album. If it's as good as I hope (should arrive tomorrow), it might be a good idea to get a live CD later on with the old songs and the new voice.

Zorro

I was speaking idiomatically.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
~ Robert Wilensky ~
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:52 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 09:52 AM #1094 of 1376
I picked up Enslaved - Ruun. Pretty good stuff but I kind of enjoy Below the Lights more. Ruun is still enjoyable.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 04:31 PM #1095 of 1376
Nightwish has been shit for a long time, and this new singer is even worse than the nu-Tarja: soulless and devoid of personality of emotions. They might as well as picked the Evanescence chick.

From my perspective, Christian black metal is a stupid concept. The very sound of the music is pretty much against any kind of Christian theme. I listen to a lot of black metal these days, having began to take interest in the genre last December after knowing about it for a couple of years, and I don't necessarily subscribe to any kind of Pagan or Satanic ideologies, but I think it's entirely contradictory of the "pure" Christian nature to use the filthy sound of music pioneered by Satanists and Pagan revivalists to pass any kind of message. It almost comes off like they're trying to convert the nonbelievers who listen to this style of music, or something idiotic like that. I just find it unappealing. I wonder if Jesus would approve of this music.
I love when someone gets it. Thanks man.

While I agree that there is probably a primary motive of "converting" listeners of black metal, I just don't get why people think it's a stupid idea. All they did was steal the sound and change the lyrics to promote a different idea.
It seems you just answered your own question... it's stupid because it just steals a genre's aesthetics without making any sense whatsoever.

Like Ziggy said, why are those christians so feeble that they can't even form their own musical identity and have to piggy-back on what was created out of hatred for them? Just goes to show how pathetic they are. If I made satanic gospel music, I'd expect to be rightfully ridiculed as a gimmicky poseur without a shred of creativity or honesty. People would see the proselytizing fraud for what it is.

Additional Spam:
Hey, the Gamma Ray album has been deleted from Rapidshare.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Morrigan; Oct 28, 2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2007, 04:54 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2007, 04:54 PM #1096 of 1376
Ruun is a decent album, but it doesn't compare to Mardraum, Below the Lights, or Isa. I like their early material as well, but you can't really compare the two phases of their career fairly.. I will say that I find Vikingligr Veldi extremely overrated, though.. Too many black metal elites gush over that album and it's really not that great.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zorro

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:02 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2007, 11:02 PM #1097 of 1376
Nightwish has been shit for a long time, and this new singer is even worse than the nu-Tarja: soulless and devoid of personality of emotions. They might as well as picked the Evanescence chick.
Who is a hell of a singer.

Zorro

~ Robert Wilensky ~
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:38 PM #1098 of 1376
I've recently gotten back into Tvangeste. Some of their songs are almost elegant. Definitely a VERY Russian feel to them, which I love.

Firestorm album is better than their first "Damnation of Regiomontum." That album had a lot of long, aimless songs, that while good, got a bit boring after awhile. Firestorm songs have direction and feel to them.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

FGSFDS!!!
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:46 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2007, 09:46 PM #1099 of 1376
Tvangeste is undeniably gay. I can't stop laughing whenever I hear the raven at the beginning of the first real song on that album. It's free, though, so...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Oct 29, 2007, 05:58 PM #1100 of 1376
Oh now come on. It's a cool (stupid?) touch to just one of the songs .

EDIT: Now see here, you just got done talking about Nightwish's new album, you don't get to say anything about ANY band being undeniably gay .

IM IN LOVE WITH MY LUST
BURNING ANGEL WINGS TO DUST
I WISH I HAD AN ANGEL TONIGHT

FGSFDS!!!

Last edited by DarkLink2135; Oct 29, 2007 at 06:00 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)