Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Strapping Young Lad

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 01:26 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 06:26 PM #1 of 8
Strapping Young Lad

I've been listening to Devy's solo stuff for about a year now but I've only recently checked out SYL. So far I LOVE their self-titled CD, and The New Black is turning out damn good. "Fucker" is my favourite song right now.

Anyone else into them?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 01:39 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 01:39 PM #2 of 8
I listened to them pretty briefly, but I'm not big on his vocals. They're a little too scratchy to me, makes it sound like he's hissing instead of growling. (Kinda like Bodom)

Are there any songs you'd recommend that have more of a melodic bent to them, like In Flames?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:19 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 07:19 PM #3 of 8
"Fucker" from their new album and "Love?" from Alien. Not exactly In Flames-ish, but being an IF fan myself, I'd judge them as being kind of close.

Heh, they also have a song called Skeksis. Might interest you :P

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:29 PM #4 of 8
I only have Alien so far, but what an incredible record!

Gene Hoglan is a MONSTER on the drums. My only complaint is that there's so many guitar tracks (or synth, or a CHOIR) that the bass can get buried.

My favorite tracks are "Skeksis" and "Thalamus," probably. I picked up the album after hearing Devin's track ("Loser") on Ayreon's "The Human Equation."

He also has a sweet skullet.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:11 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 02:11 PM #5 of 8
Wasn't expecting this thread. SYL used to be a local band in my city. I guess they've gotten a bit more popular.

I was speaking idiomatically.
elevator
wannabe oneironaut

Member 4868

Level 4.76

Apr 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:41 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 09:41 PM #6 of 8
That´s cool knkwzrd! I definitely think SYL and Devy´s solo work is pretty popular nowadays

Personally I only listened to the first half of City, and some single songs from the new album. I like their songs but most of the time the production job is hurting my ears - maybe I´m just too weak for that stuff.

Gotta have to agree that Gene Hoglan is absolutely stunning on the drums - I´m always surprised how fast he can move.. I mean... *cough*

Oh before I forget, anyone heard the new song?
http://mp3.centurymedia.com/syl/then.../syl_usuck.mp3

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Darsh
blargh

Member 1375

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:43 PM #7 of 8
SYL are good, I got into them about 3 years back and my album of choice is city. I saw them back on their headlining '05 tour, and for some reason, they were with awful bands. I dont know the names of the bands, but what I do know is that a good 1/3 of the audience were dressed in emo attire, and by the time syl came on, the audience had shrunk a great deal. God damn I hate metalcore, but now Im just rambling =/

FELIPE NO
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 04:23 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 03:23 PM #8 of 8
I think Alien is their best, myself. They really put the effort into making a quality album, not just some great tracks with filler. I like albums that you need to listen to in their entirety to really enjoy.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Strapping Young Lad