Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: What Color LCD Display Do You Prefer?
Red! It's classic. 13 33.33%
Green! It's easier on the eyes. 7 17.95%
I don't honestly care as long as the time is correct. 7 17.95%
My alarm clock has another color, such as blue or whatever. 12 30.77%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Red or Green Alarm Clock Display?

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 04:58 PM #1 of 26
Red or Green Alarm Clock Display?

My dad and I had a bit of a debate on this subject. My alarm clock broke and I had to replace it. I mentioned that I was hopeful to find one with nice green LCD numbers since I find the red displays too unnerving when you wake up in the middle of the night. My dad thinks green displays look absolutely bizarre and would be creeped out by them.

So, which do you prefer: red, green, or does it not matter? Any particular reason?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:23 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2008, 04:23 PM #2 of 26
I actually prefer no lit clock at all. I use my cell phone as my alarm clock, and the only time it emits light is when it is ringing or the alarm is going off. I cannot stand having something emitting light in my room while I am trying to sleep. When I spent a week at my aunt's house in October, I slept in my cousin's room and had to turn his green LCD alarm clock around to face the wall so that it wouldn't blind me if I happened to wake up during the night. The power button on the laptop that I use at home glows green when it is powered on, and when I sometimes fall asleep on my couch on the weekends, I will wake up in the middle of the night and have to turn off the laptop.

I'm not normal. I've accepted that.

How ya doing, buddy?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:25 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2008, 04:25 PM #3 of 26
I have a red one, but we have this nice looking clock in our living room that has blue numbers and it looks really nice. If I ever needed to replace mine, I'd definitely get one with blue numbers. But as for red vs. green, I mainly got my red one just because I needed one quick and for cheap years ago, but if I had actually had time to choose I probably would have went with a green one (after having this red one for so long and just being tired of it, I'd probably go with anything that's not red).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:26 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2008, 03:26 PM #4 of 26
Personally, I prefer the traditional Indiglo-style displays with black numbers and a backlit screen. The alarm clock that I have glows a brilliant aqua when the button is pressed.

Red numbers or a red screen are easier on the eyes at night because it is easier for the eye to adjust from red light back to darkness, as opposed to green or blue back to darkness.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:00 PM #5 of 26
I have a blue alarm as well as an old red one, and the red one is much better. I have to cover the blue one with a washcloth at night just to keep it from lighting up the whole room. Greens seem to be almost as bad, but red LCDs don't emit enough light to keep me awake.

Most amazing jew boots
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 07:29 PM #6 of 26
It's proven that red is the color that disturbs the least sleep. I guess red light is the best, but I never really tested other colors. I know that blue doesn't work, just the tiny blue led on my speakers is lighting the whole room when I forget to turn them off. I just don't want an alarm clock with that color oriented at my face when I sleep lol.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
She Loves Piano
She Loves Piano

Member 109

Level 19.87

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 07:37 PM #7 of 26
Having an interest in Astronomy, I can tell you that using flashlights with red filters protects your 'night vision' the best. This is also why the Military uses red filters on flashlights. So it disturbs your eyes (and, therefore, your sleep) the least if you use digital clocks with red digits (especially if you can turn down the brightness to the lowest level needed).

Most amazing jew boots
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Nov 28, 2008, 09:33 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2008, 07:33 PM #8 of 26
I've got an alarm clock with black numbers and a blue backlit screen that will only light up if I hit the snooze button, so it never bothers me in the middle of the night. It also has a feature where it can display the time on ceiling in red light, but I never use it since I don't have the AC adapter for the clock.

Now that I think of it, I've got a lot of blue lights in my room. The laptop glows blue when the charger is plugged in, and I've also got a binary clock that has really bright blue LEDs (I keep it off usually).

Most amazing jew boots
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:15 AM #9 of 26
I have a red one, but I'd prefer to have one with a blue display. There's something just... soothing about it.

chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:34 AM Local time: Nov 28, 2008, 11:34 PM #10 of 26
Yeah i've always been told that red light has the least affect on night vision. I don't know how green works in that sense, but regardless, green would freak me out. I grew up with red, can't imagine anything else.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
arashi

y

Member 3823

Level 1.02

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 07:57 PM #11 of 26
i have a green one - i'd like to have a red one, would be a nice change but the red can be somewhat distracting. especially if i'm under a deadline.

Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 09:16 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2008, 08:16 PM #12 of 26
I'm not sure that I've ever been disturbed by the colors of the digits, or even thought about them. I had to check to see what mine were, because I generally take no notice of them.

My clock is green. The only thing that bothers me honestly, is the fact that it shows up at night and therefore reminds me how late it is when I can't go to sleep.

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 09:38 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2008, 10:38 AM #13 of 26
If I stare at Red text on black anywhere, even on my computer, the red text seems to float around. It bugs the heck out of me.

Green FTW.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:48 AM Local time: Nov 30, 2008, 11:48 PM #14 of 26
I'm just used to the red number displays for about 12 years after switching from an actual clock (you know, the ones with hands and ticking second hands). Red it is.

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:27 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2008, 05:27 PM #15 of 26
I've got a red and green clock and found both of them to be about equally annoying. The most important thing to me is for the clock to have a dimmer switch so I can have the digits be a much softer intensity than the default FUCKING BRIGHT that most clocks seem to have. I also need jumbo sized digits on my clocks since my vision is so poor without glasses, so without the dimmers I could probably light up my room enough to read. =\

FELIPE NO
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:14 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 02:14 PM #16 of 26
Personally, I prefer the traditional Indiglo-style displays with black numbers and a backlit screen. The alarm clock that I have glows a brilliant aqua when the button is pressed.
That's essentially what ours is like although it's completely dark until you press the button. It's also got a rubber casing in case you drop it or knock it on the floor.

I actually use my phone for an alarm (It plays the Willo-the-Wisp theme music at me), the clock is my girlfriend's. We also have a big clock on the wall which runs anti-clockwise. I've had it for years so I can read it fine but it confuses the fuck out of people who've not seen it before.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:25 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 01:25 PM #17 of 26
That's essentially what ours is like although it's completely dark until you press the button. It's also got a rubber casing in case you drop it or knock it on the floor.

I actually use my phone for an alarm (It plays the Willo-the-Wisp theme music at me), the clock is my girlfriend's. We also have a big clock on the wall which runs anti-clockwise. I've had it for years so I can read it fine but it confuses the fuck out of people who've not seen it before.
Firstly, I need a rubber alarm clock. How many times mine has gone to pieces when I've swiped it off my shelf in annoyance. I am not a morning person.

Secondly, I have always wanted one of those anti-clockwise clocks, they're class.

And finally, my alarm clock(s) are analogue so this poll is disappointing.

Last edited by Bernard Black; Dec 3, 2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:32 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 02:32 PM #18 of 26
Secondly, I have always wanted one of those anti-clockwise clocks, they're class.
Heh, I've had it so long I just glance at it to tell the time but it's interesting watching people look at it for the first time. I can tell you that when most people read an analogue clock, they look at the position of the hand for the minutes and read the number for the hours. If it's ten to two for example, most people would read my clock as ten past two, getting the hour right but the minutes mirrored.

At the time I got it it was a toss-up between that and one that only had an hour hand and had 1-ish, 2-ish, 3-ish etc written round it.

I also have a binary watch so I'm pretty obtuse in my time keeping.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 09:41 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 02:41 PM #19 of 26
Aye, there's one in a local pub of ours and I still can't read it right. Of course drinking complicates things...

I think the best clock I saw was this one, but at £99 it wasn't worth it.

I could probably get away without a clock; I have this weird ability to tell the time naturally. Usually I'm only about 5 minutes out either way. I'm still late for everything anyway mind.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 09:57 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 03:57 PM #20 of 26
I really want one of these but yeah, it's a lot of money to spend on a clock.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:46 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 11:46 AM #21 of 26
My alarm clock is actually a cheapie swap-meet-bought alarm clock with a black display a dim blue numbers. It's a lot easier on my eyes than either of the two that have already been mentioned here. Maybe you should look at a change of color?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 02:00 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2008, 03:00 AM #22 of 26
My alarm clock's the traditional red numbers-on-black screen deal. I used to have one with blue numbers, but it was just too... disturbing at night with the lights off. It might just be that I'm too used to red numbers, perhaps. But yes, red.

Of course, it doesn't really matter since these days my alarm clock isn't even set properly. It's been, what... a month since the power last went out and I still haven't set the time properly again. So every time I look at the clock while I'm half asleep I get flashing numbers and the wrong time, which makes it pointless. I wonder why I still keep it plugged in, honestly.

I use my cellphone for most of my "wake up, you idiot! time for class!" needs. And to tell the time, generally. Unless I'm on my computer, in which case I just check the computer's clock.

I don't even have a watch, honestly.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 03:13 PM #23 of 26
I've had mostly red alarm clocks, although I did have a blue LED one for a bit. Growing up, I lived out in the country, where if you turned off the lights at night, your bedroom actually got dark. Any light was highly distracting, so I'd cover my alarm clock. With my glasses off, I can't read it anyway, so why bother?

Once I moved into an apartment, light pollution means that it's impossible to have a dark bedroom. After I moved into my current apartment, management erected a streetlight directly below my bedroom window. I have to stick a giant piece of thick cardboard in the window at night, and even with that the room isn't dark. Thus, I don't worry about my red alarm clock keeping me awake; it's the least of my problems.

FELIPE NO
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:35 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2008, 04:35 PM #24 of 26
I didn't realize they had a blue one! Am I really that much out of touch with the world?

Anyway, I have a red one. I have had it ever since my first serious relationship gave it to me. Its the only clock I have used or known for an alarm clock for the past 5 or 6 years. Good to know it still works too. Before, I used to go through a new clock every couple years or so... whether it was through dropping it or smashing it....

So, I guess right now I am a fan of the red, basically because my clock IS a classic!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Anthony8
Just another lurker...

Member 32283

Level 2.50

Nov 2008

Old Dec 7, 2008, 05:35 PM Local time: Dec 7, 2008, 02:35 PM #25 of 26
I would go with red (used to have one, but it broke), but I was given a back-lit lcd one as a gift from family--I have it on the dimmest setting, and I can still almost read by it. I face it towards the wall, and turn it around to read it when needed.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Red or Green Alarm Clock Display?