Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How do you tip?

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:55 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 02:55 PM 2 #101 of 127
Quote:
the cost of your meal would double because it'd need to include the cost of paying the servers.
Shouldn't the cost of the meal go up more like 15-20%?

I mean, I'm no math whiz, but I don't see how you losing a 20% tip on the cost of a meal and moving the weight to your employer would suddenly cause the price of the food to go up 100%.

How ya doing, buddy?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 07:31 PM #102 of 127
So you think it's perfectly acceptable to stay somewhere a half an hour plus after they've closed?
Last Monday a table didn't leave until 11:50. We close at 10:00. Basically you're saying we have no right to be upset at them even though they're the ones not respecting company hours. If we were to go by what Sass and Seris are suggesting, we wouldn't even begin closing until they'd left. Almost two hours after we were closed, simply because there was one table left.
How on earth can it take someone 2 hours to eat their food? That is pretty inexcusable but you should be more mad at your managers for not telling them to get the fuck out. I work at a grocery store, so we deal with customer service. But the managers would never let someone loiter in the store more then a half hour after close. And we don't even have as much to do as a restaurant after close.

There are a number of restaurants (cheap and high-falutin') that don't allow tipping because they pay their servers adequate wages. One place I go to a lot for lunch is Noodles & Company. A lunch there usually costs $8 - $10, including drink. No double price here, that's how much I routinely pay for lunch.
Funny you mention Noodles, I have a friend who works there. Yeah they don't accept tips, at all. They'd get people that won't take no for an answer and would slap down a tip and run out the door. Yeah, good going cause the manager is going to pocket it, not the person you gave it to.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

"Out thought and out fought."
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:00 PM #103 of 127
So you think it's perfectly acceptable to stay somewhere a half an hour plus after they've closed?
Last Monday a table didn't leave until 11:50. We close at 10:00. Basically you're saying we have no right to be upset at them even though they're the ones not respecting company hours.
Yea, that's unreasonable. If I notice a place is close to closing up for the night, I usually DO in fact rush things. BUT:

Quote:
If we were to go by what Sass and Seris are suggesting, we wouldn't even begin closing until they'd left. Almost two hours after we were closed, simply because there was one table left.
I didn't say IGNORE your closing duties, Melo. I said it's rude to vacuum when a customer is trying to enjoy a meal DURING business hours. DURING business hours, I mentioned that people should maybe possibly find more quiet back work to do until the place is sufficiently empty

After hours, I think it's fair game.

And DarkMage, when I go out with friends or family, we can sit there for up to four hours. People enjoy talking over food, knowing they don't have to get up and serve others around the table during a conversation. I PREFER those sorts of meals.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by I poked it and it made a sad sound; Oct 25, 2008 at 08:03 PM.
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:19 PM #104 of 127
And DarkMage, when I go out with friends or family, we can sit there for up to four hours. People enjoy talking over food, knowing they don't have to get up and serve others around the table during a conversation. I PREFER those sorts of meals.
I'm sure you don't do that after the restaurant is closed though. Honestly I've been to places that don't let you order anything after closing hours. So if you stayed past and want dessert you're SOL.

I generally want to eat and leave. Since whoever I'm with is probably hanging out with me outside of being at the restaurant anyhow. Course if I had a girlfriend, I'm sure that would be alittle different.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:10 PM #105 of 127
At least no one does (or do they) a trick some people I knew from England did.

It would be near closing and someone would come in and ask for something. If it was something they alreayd had prepared, fine. If not, they then "accidently" gave them something else they had prepared. They would then say "Oh sorry. we can fix it but it will take us about 20 minutes" in which the customer would generally just go with what they have.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The_Melomane
Go forth and become a happy cabbage

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:10 PM Local time: Oct 25, 2008, 10:10 PM #106 of 127
How on earth can it take someone 2 hours to eat their food? That is pretty inexcusable but you should be more mad at your managers for not telling them to get the fuck out. I work at a grocery store, so we deal with customer service. But the managers would never let someone loiter in the store more then a half hour after close. And we don't even have as much to do as a restaurant after close.

Funny you mention Noodles, I have a friend who works there. Yeah they don't accept tips, at all. They'd get people that won't take no for an answer and would slap down a tip and run out the door. Yeah, good going cause the manager is going to pocket it, not the person you gave it to.

I work at a corporate restaurant. Our managers would get fired for sending the guests away. There's a BIG difference between working for corporate and a local restaurant. You can get away with a lot more at a local diner or something.

For people telling 'me' to get a different job if I don't like it, that's BS. I do like my job, for the most part I love it. Like any job though, it has it's negatives. I'm sure servers aren't the only people who sometimes dislike their jobs. For the most part, servers are upset when there are jackasses that think they have a right to treat other people like shit, etc.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:14 AM #107 of 127
I work at a corporate restaurant. Our managers would get fired for sending the guests away. There's a BIG difference between working for corporate and a local restaurant. You can get away with a lot more at a local diner or something.

For people telling 'me' to get a different job if I don't like it, that's BS. I do like my job, for the most part I love it. Like any job though, it has it's negatives. I'm sure servers aren't the only people who sometimes dislike their jobs. For the most part, servers are upset when there are jackasses that think they have a right to treat other people like shit, etc.
So basicly what you're saying is that someone could decide they don't want to leave til 6 am the next day and there is nothing the managers can do about it?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2008, 01:08 AM Local time: Oct 26, 2008, 12:08 AM 5 #108 of 127
And DarkMage, when I go out with friends or family, we can sit there for up to four hours.
Does it really take them that long to deep fry a whole cow for you?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:21 AM #109 of 127
So basicly what you're saying is that someone could decide they don't want to leave til 6 am the next day and there is nothing the managers can do about it?
that would be a good question. I could see higher ups who don't run into those issues themselves saying "Our customers come first, no matter if they are here 6 minutes after closing or 6 A.M.".

I wonder what the official policy is that distingushes between "conducting business" (namely buying and eating food) and "standing around" (or whatever the term is). The problem is, even if there was a nice "line" most companies would be afraid of a bit of bad rap of actually pushing that line.

I do know though SOME companies draw the line. One of them surprised me. At CiCi's (and all you can eat pizza place), one friend told me there was a kid who could really pack it away. The manager came out and said "That's enough. You have had your share" or something like that. Then again, they might be able to get away with that as they are not quite a nation-wide company (at least from what I last heard...they have multiple stores but not to the degree of McDonalds or such).

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2008, 02:15 PM Local time: Oct 26, 2008, 12:15 PM #110 of 127
All I'm saying is, when I go to a restaurant and I'm done eating, if I happen to have my laptop I'm gonna have a few drinks and get some work done. After all, my work is almost directly paying your salary; which you're complaining about.

Most amazing jew boots
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2008, 04:35 PM Local time: Oct 26, 2008, 02:35 PM #111 of 127
All I'm saying is, when I go to a restaurant and I'm done eating, if I happen to have my laptop I'm gonna have a few drinks and get some work done. After all, my work is almost directly paying your salary; which you're complaining about.
Unless you're continuously/constantly ordering drinks while you work, you taking up a table / seat is actually costing the restaurant more than you think. If you're done eating, satisfied with your meal, had the pleasure of enjoying your meal with good company and have throughly satisfied yourselves with your conversation, then it is more polite for you to leave the restaurant and open up the table / seat so the restaurant can offer that seat to another customer. More customers = more sales opportunities = more revenue = more tip/income.

You taking up a table for an overly extended period of time (basically past the point where the restaurant has no revenue opportunity out of you) is just you being a jackass (unless, again, you're ordering a beer every 5 minutes or so).

FELIPE NO
Ballpark Frank
Regressing Since 1988

Member 3605

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2008, 04:36 PM #112 of 127
See, Wing Leader, you're a damn good tipper, so it isn't an issue.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2008, 06:32 PM Local time: Oct 26, 2008, 04:32 PM #113 of 127
Unless you're continuously/constantly ordering drinks while you work, you taking up a table / seat is actually costing the restaurant more than you think.

...:words:...

You taking up a table for an overly extended period of time (basically past the point where the restaurant has no revenue opportunity out of you) is just you being a jackass (unless, again, you're ordering a beer every 5 minutes or so).
OK... You've, like, seen me drink. Do you honestly see that as being a problem for me to be ordering a beer every 5-10 minutes or so?

In two hours' worth of time, I will write lesson plans for a whole week, finish a couple of designs, dust about 3 pitchers of beer, pay my tab, tip my server in cash, stumble to my car, drive home, talk my way out of a ticket and be home in time for House M.D..

Who's kidding who now?

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2008, 09:38 PM #114 of 127
lol we very nearly did that one time. Of course, we were trying to tip the manager, because we had a tasting and it was all free. They put up a really excellent spread too. Good place all around.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:12 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2008, 04:12 PM #115 of 127
Well, I don't know about all the provinces (I know for sure it's not the case in New Brunswick), but in Quebec servers are taxed on their tips and so if people don't tip they can end up making less than minimum wage.
Which would be true if minimum wages weren't described in terms of pre-tax earnings. If your gross wage, before any tax or other deductions is more than the published hourly minimum wage (Which it will be, otherwise you'd take your employer to court and win) then you're earning above minimum wage. Also, the beauty of any system where tax is expressed as a percentage of income is that there is no possible way you can take home less by earning more.

What you meant to say is that as waiters get taxed on their tips (As they do in the UK), then if you don't give them a big tip they barely earn more than minimum wage. The problem therefore lies with their ability to get a job paying more than minimum wage.

Someone said on an earlier page that if you were too cheap to tip then most restaurants will prepare your food to take away instead. I can't think of anywhere that I'd describe as a restaurant rather than a fast-food joint that'd prepare you food to go. I guess I have a different idea as to what constitutes a restaurant than some of you guys.

How ya doing, buddy?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:23 AM #116 of 127
Someone said on an earlier page that if you were too cheap to tip then most restaurants will prepare your food to take away instead. I can't think of anywhere that I'd describe as a restaurant rather than a fast-food joint that'd prepare you food to go. I guess I have a different idea as to what constitutes a restaurant than some of you guys.
So you consider Big Boy, Bennigans, IHOP, Red Robbin, Chinese Restaurants(Not just the carry out ones), and Coney Islands fast food?

Just because you've never tried to order a carry out meal at a restaurant doesn't mean it's not available. Just about any restaurant that has boxes to put your left overs in will let you order your meal to go. You just obviously wait longer then you would at a fast food place.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:48 AM Local time: Oct 27, 2008, 05:48 PM #117 of 127
So you consider Big Boy, Bennigans, IHOP, Red Robbin, Chinese Restaurants(Not just the carry out ones), and Coney Islands fast food?

Just because you've never tried to order a carry out meal at a restaurant doesn't mean it's not available. Just about any restaurant that has boxes to put your left overs in will let you order your meal to go. You just obviously wait longer then you would at a fast food place.
Alright, fair enough Chinese and Indian places often offer a takeaway service but from Googling those other places, they're not the sort of places I'd tell people I was going to a restaurant if I was going there, no. They're diners if anything, glorified cafes. When I talk about going to a restaurant I mean places like these, all of which with the possible exception of Lazzatis if you asked really, really nicely would laugh at you if you asked for takeaway food (Those are the last four restaurants I went to, in case you were wondering). I guess it's a cultural and language thing but I generally think of something a little more high-brow when I'm talking about restaurants rather than a burger joint or chain pizza shop.

I was speaking idiomatically.
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:51 AM #118 of 127
Alright, fair enough Chinese and Indian places often offer a takeaway service but from Googling those other places, they're not the sort of places I'd tell people I was going to a restaurant if I was going there, no. They're diners if anything, glorified cafes. When I talk about going to a restaurant I mean places like these, all of which with the possible exception of Lazzatis if you asked really, really nicely would laugh at you if you asked for takeaway food.
See we basicly have a different idea of what is considered a "restaurant" because we don't really have many fancy places like that around here.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:01 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2008, 07:01 PM 1 #119 of 127
It's a matter of definitions for restaurants. In the US, nearly every place that serves food qualifies as a restaurant, be it a chain of diners or a fancy place like one Ramsay's places. In Europe, the definition for restaurant isn't nearly as broad. A restaurant here implies a place where you can enjoy an entire evening, where you can sit for hours after finishing your meal, where the focus is on enjoying the food and company, instead of on filling up, and serving as many customers as possible, as is the case in most diners (from my experience). We don't really have diners like in the US, let alone whole chains like the Olive Garden, but just small, independent places where you can get a quick meal (brasserie), but where you can still sit at ease.

On the discussion of closing hours, most restaurants here only have a closing hour for the kitchen (10 PM for most places), so people can sit and enjoy the rest of their meal, but they can't come in at 10:15 and expect to be served. I think that this is the best method to deal with closing hours, this way the kitchen can clean up, whereas the waiters will still be busy serving the guests drinks and whatnot, all while cleaning up without causing any disturbance.

Most amazing jew boots
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:05 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2008, 06:05 PM #120 of 127
See we basicly have a different idea of what is considered a "restaurant" because we don't really have many fancy places like that around here.
Seems that way, yes.

I just find it hard to imagine walking into a restaurant that wasn't a take-away place and asking for food to go, it's just not something you'd do in my experience.

And call me a snob but asking for a bag to take away the leftovers at the end of a meal is really chavvy.

Additional Spam:
It's a matter of definitions for restaurants. In the US, nearly every place that serves food qualifies as a restaurant, be it a chain of diners or a fancy place like one Ramsay's places. In Europe, the definition for restaurant isn't nearly as broad. A restaurant here implies a place where you can enjoy an entire evening, where you can sit for hours after finishing your meal, where the focus is on enjoying the food and company, instead of on filling up, and serving as many customers as possible, as is the case in most diners (from my experience). We don't really have diners like in the US, let alone whole chains like the Olive Garden, but just small, independent places where you can get a quick meal (brasserie), but where you can still sit at ease.

On the discussion of closing hours, most restaurants here only have a closing hour for the kitchen (10 PM for most places), so people can sit and enjoy the rest of their meal, but they can't come in at 10:15 and expect to be served. I think that this is the best method to deal with closing hours, this way the kitchen can clean up, whereas the waiters will still be busy serving the guests drinks and whatnot, all while cleaning up without causing any disturbance.
What he said, except obviously our draconian licencing laws means places only stay open about an hour or so after food service ends.

Last edited by Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss; Oct 27, 2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:32 PM #121 of 127
And call me a snob but asking for a bag to take away the leftovers at the end of a meal is really chavvy.
Well, in some cases restaurants often give larger portions than what you're willing to eat at the time. And lets say you drop down 30 dollars on a meal that you've only half eaten. Call me trashy all you want, but saving 15 dollars worth of food for later takes priority over looking high-class.

Besides that, that's un-eaten food gone to waste. It's not like they can recycle that steak you didn't eat; it just goes straight into the garbage. That should be considered a CRIME.

Midna
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 18121

Level 20.86

Jan 2007

Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:41 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2008, 10:41 AM #122 of 127
I just find it hard to imagine walking into a restaurant that wasn't a take-away place and asking for food to go, it's just not something you'd do in my experience.

Shin, to clarify, I was talking more about the average place here in the U.S., and not a high-brow restaurant. I wouldn't walk into a place like that and ask for my lobster to go. I would assume if someone wanted food from a restaurant, but was being too cheap/broke to tip, they likely aren't going for a place that requires wearing a tie.

I agree it sounds awful to ask to take home the scraps off your plate, but in the U.S. the average restaurants serve you so much damn food you more often than not can only finish about half. It's disgusting. The leftovers issue has become very common here because of it.

Edit: Sorry for the repeat. I was being really slow and Seris posted before I finished.

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:48 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2008, 07:48 PM #123 of 127
Seems that way, yes.

What he said, except obviously our draconian licencing laws means places only stay open about an hour or so after food service ends.
heh, that's what you get for living in a nation of drunks and chavs xD.

I have never had anyone ask to take their leftovers, not even for their dog. I fear that I wouldn't be able to resist ridiculing anyone who asks for that. This is mostly because the enjoyment of the food is important, you don't need to have huge piles of french fries or a 2 pound steak to enjoy a meal, it's about taste and flavour. Even if people would take their leftovers in a doggy bag, it still would not be the same experience, as having it freshly served in a restaurant, and if you are that desperate for food, perhaps you shouldn't eat in a more expensive restaurant in the first place.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Peter; Oct 27, 2008 at 12:58 PM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 27, 2008, 04:28 PM Local time: Oct 27, 2008, 02:28 PM #124 of 127
There's also some rad restaurants where you get huge portions and it's really tasty. There's this one place near me I like to go to since you get dinner for $10, they've got a fantastic salad bar (two soups, lots of fresh fruit, and tons of other stuff) that I like to fill up on quite a bit, then I can only eat about half of my meal. I save the rest as a snack for later at night (If I'm going to be in the office) or as a quick lunch the following day.

Also, there are definitely some foods which get better as leftovers. I remember my girlfriend and I went to Applebees one time and she didn't finish her burger because it was kinda mediocre. The following day we reheated it and it tasted a million times better since all of the flavors had melded together a bit.

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:26 AM #125 of 127
Yes.

Because they are paying your bills. Without them, you wouldn't have a job. You may not like it, but that's the fact.

And, why do you vacuum at night? Dust flies. It's not the fact people don't want to hear the vacuum--they don't want crap in their food.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > How do you tip?