Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Music Exposure Club™
Closed Thread

Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2007, 06:19 PM Local time: Aug 15, 2007, 11:19 PM #1 of 201
Kate Nash - Made Of Bricks (2007)

"Play" - 1:11
"Foundations" - 4:05
"Mouthwash" - 5:01
"Dickhead" - 3:42
"Birds" - 4:25
"We Get On" - 4:34
"Mariella" - 4:15
"Shit Song" - 3:05
"Pumpkin Soup" - 2:59
"Skeleton Song" - 5:07
"Nicest Thing" - 4:05
"Merry Happy/Little Red" - 13:10 (UK bonus track)

Quote:
Why has Kate Nash struck such a chord with the record-buying public? The more lazy journalists have compared her to Lily Allen - presumably on the basis that she's young, female, sings in a London accent and gained a lot of fans on MySpace - but there's a hell of a lot more to her sound than that.

Yes, she writes clever little pop songs about crap boyfriends now and again, but names such as Regina Spektor and even poets such as John Cooper Clarke are as likely to crop up when listening to Made Of Bricks. There may be subjects on the album ranging from crumbling relationships to unrequited love, but you'll also find songs about a child genius who sews her own mouth shut and a girl with a skeleton for a best friend.

It's all shot through with such warmth, wit and vulnerability that you can't help but be charmed on the very first listen. Forthcoming single Mouthwash documents the minutae of everyday life ("I use mouthwash, sometimes I floss") before a lovely catchy chorus of "I'm singing uh-oh on a Friday night, and I hope everything's going to be alright" kicks in. And once it kicks in, you'll have trouble removing it from your brain for a number of weeks.

If there's one thing that Made Of Bricks proves, it's that the advance word about Nash's songwriting talents was right on the money. Birds perfectly describes a conversation between two inarticulate young lovers, while the beautifully yearning The Nicest Thing will strike a chord with everyone who's ever been in love with someone unobtainable. Merry Happy is the other side of the coin, a bouncy, joyous number celebrating the end of a relationship while extolling the joys of "dancing in discos, eating cheese on toast".

The lovely tale of 'girl meets boy, boy ignores girl' of We Get On is also a wonderful highlight, if only for Nash's hilarious delivery of the line "so my friends said what-ever, you'll find someone better", while also reprising Franz Ferdinand's notorious 'party/arty' couplet, and managing to make the line "Saturday night, I watch Channel 5, I particularly like CSI" sound heartbreakingly poignant.

Yet it's the more seemingly obscure songs on here that bear up best to repeated listening. Skeleton Song is just incredible, with clattering percussion and Nash's trademark piano skating all over the place, while Nash sings about a beloved friend who just happens to be a skeleton. It really shouldn't work, but you'll find yourself combing the lyrics over and over again. It's also probably Nash's most musically ambitious number here.

Those long-term fans who downloaded demo versions will find plenty to debate on here too - Dickhead has changed from a stark piano tune to a smokey jazz ballad with Björk-style sonic oddities scattered all around, while the show-stopping Mariella benefits from a beefed-up sound and some gorgeous harmonised backing vocals. The cryptic lyrics ("sometimes, I wish I was like Mariella, she got some pritt stick and glued her lips together.So she never had to speak") just add to the genius of it all.

Only Pumpkin Soup will possibly give some ammunition to the 'poor man's Lily' brigade, but it's fresh, funky and danceable and gives a great deal of variety to the album.

Some fans may raise a quizzical eyebrow over some of Nash's finest songs that are missing, such as Stitching Leggings, but that's all the more reason to keep an eye out for B-side releases over the next few months - there are at least four or five songs here on here that could easily be Top 5 hits between now and Christmas.

So, from bed-bound broken foot casualty to creator of the finest debut album of the year in just over a year. That's one pretty huge silver lining.
Recommended Track - Foundations

Download

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2008, 09:17 AM Local time: Jun 1, 2008, 02:17 PM #2 of 201
Fightstar - One Day Son This Will All Be Yours
Label:Institute/Trustkill
Genre: Alternative Metal/Metalcore
Released: 2007

UK based band formed in 2003. People in the UK will recognise Charlie Simpson (singer/guitarist) as a member of former pop band Busted. Due to Simpson's previous work, the band received negative attention from the start - despite being quite a promising band. I saw them live at Download festival and they were pelted with bottles and eggs in the first 10 minutes, until Simpson made a short speech that ended the disrespect immediately. They were great live, I've always had their stuff on my laptop and found myself liking their songs when they play on random. I recently listened to this album from start to finish and although, in my opinion, the first couple of tracks aren't that great the rest of the album has some astounding moments.

They have a nice blend of a melodic and heavy sound, some little extras like the use of samples and string arrangement isn't used boldy but nevertheless is nicely done. "Floods" showcases an excellent use of piano, very reminiscent of Muse's New Born. At the moment, it stands as my favourite track. "Deathcar" is a hardhitting heavy track, which to me represents their sound as a whole - a mixture of dynamic soft and heavy sound. The last track "Unfamiliar Ceilings" is unlike the rest of their work, sounding slightly more electronic and featuring a female vocalist to create a nice atmosphere - it's an interesting way to end the album for sure.

The vocals definitely give the band a softer touch, which can turn people away from the band. He has a powerful voice, but it's very...soothing in a way. But the boy can pull off the metal growl when he wants to. If you prefer clean vocals over heavy guitars, then this could be your cup of tea.

Highlights: Floods, One Day Son, Deathcar, Amaze Us, Unfamiliar Ceilings

DOWNLOAD

How ya doing, buddy?
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Gamingforce Music Exposure Club™