Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Music Exposure Club™
Closed Thread

i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Oct 24, 2007, 03:17 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2007, 04:17 PM 1 #1 of 201
Howlin Wolf - The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions

Label: Chess/MCA
Original Release: 1970 Deluxe Edition Release: 2002
Genre: Electric Blues/Funk

wolf.PNG

1. Rockin' Daddy
2. I Ain't Superstitious
3. Sittin' On Top Of The World
4. Worried About My Baby
5. What A Woman
6. Poor Boy
7. Built For Comfort
8. Who's Been Talking?
9. Red Rooster, The - (False start and dialogue)
10. Red Rooster, The
11. Do The Do
12. Highway 49
13. Wang Dang Doodle
14. Goin' Down Slow
15. Killing Floor
16. I Want To Have A Word With You

DISC 2:

1. Worried About My Baby - (rehearsal take)
2. Red Rooster, The - (alternate mix)
3. What A Woman - (alternate take)
4. Who's Been Talking? - (alternate take, With false start and studio dialogue)
5. Worried About My Baby - (alternate take)
6. I Ain't Superstitious - (alternate take)
7. Highway 49 - (alternate take)
8. Do The Do - (extended alternate version)
9. Poor Boy - (alternate lyrics/mix)
10. I Ain't Superstitious - (alternate mix)
11. What A Woman! - (alternate mix, with organ overdub)
12. Rockin' Daddy - (alternate mix)

This album, in my opinion, represents one of the most awesome moments in blues music history. As the title mentions, the album's premise is a week of recordings sessions by Howlin' Wolf in London. What isn't mentionned in the title however, is exactly who the musician's are who comprised his band. Well, this band is comprised of none other than Eric Clapton, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts (the Rolling stones bassist and drummer) and Steve Winwood, with contributions by some other great cats, amongst them Ringo Starr (disc 1- track2).

Even though this kind of thing happens quite more often today, it was at the time less than obvious that such a venture would yield positive results. In fact the liner notes do mention that there were tensions within the group in the first few days of recording.

However, it becomes clear when one sits down to listen to the tracks that they did in the end get it together to amazing results. My personal favorite track is no.13 of the first disc, where Wolf's vocals and the incessant rhythmic drive of the band are perfectly in sync and yield a most satisfactorily groovin' feel.

This album, in my opinion, is a must for any Clapton/Stones/Wolf/Blues/Funk/MUSIC fan out there.

here is the link: download

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by i am good at jokes; Oct 25, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Nov 15, 2007, 07:16 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 08:16 PM 2 #2 of 201
Talking The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire

Label: CBS
Original Release: 1973
Genres: Progressive rock/ fusion jazz

61UQmPPewNL._AA240_.jpg

TRACK LIST

1. Birds Of Fire
2. Miles Beyond
3. Celestial Terrestrial Commuters
4. Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love
5. Thousand Island Park
6. Hope
7. One Word
8. Sanctuary
9. Open Country Joy
10. Resolution

To coincide with FFVI week and my chosen avatar, I've decided to share this absolutely mind-boggling album with the GFF community.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra, though short lived in it's most succesful incarnation, is one of those bands that just had so much energy and creative juices that it's hard to imagine what kind of music they would be putting out today. If you look at the individual parts and their recent output (John Mclaughlin on guitar, Billy Cobham on drums, Jerry Goodman on violin, Rick Laird on bass and Ian Hammer on the Keys/synths), you can tell the sum would most likely be pretty awesome.

This particular album happens to be their second effort, and to me is only equaled by their first record, The Inner Mounting Flame. Though the title track is most certainly their most widely known tune and also pretty awesome , To me, No.7, 'One Word' is the best. From the intense opening riffs, through the triple solo exchange mid-section and climax, drum solo and racing finale, this tune to me is the epitome of The Mahavushnu Orchestra's output through all of it's successive incarnations. Really, if you ask me, there is no one word to describe the tune or the album. And if there is, I haven't found it yet.

Link: Birds of Fire

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Juggle dammit

Last edited by i am good at jokes; Nov 16, 2007 at 09:43 PM.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:02 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2007, 08:02 PM #3 of 201
bruford.jpg

Bill Bruford's Earthworks feat. Tim Garland - Random Acts of Happiness
Label: Summerfold
Year: 2004
Genre: Fusion Jazz

Track list
1. My Heart Declares A Holiday
2. White Knuckle Wedding
3. Turn And Return
4. Tramontana
5. Bajo Del Sol
6. Seems Like A Lifetime Ago (Part One)
7. Modern Folk
8. With Friends Like These
9. Speaking With Wooden Tongues
10. One Of A Kind-Part One
11. One Of A Kind-Part Two

Personnel: Tim Garland (flute, bass clarinet, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone)
Steve Hamilton (piano)
Mark Hodgson (bass guitar)
Bill Bruford (drums, log drum)

What can I say about Bill Bruford? Well, to progressive rock fans, he's the guy who drummed on most of the best Yes albums and then went on to play with a little band called King Crimson for the better part of its existence. Some may also remember those of his solo albums released in the late seventies.

Well, this recording is a far cry from most of those undertakings. First of all, you'll note the lack of any electric instruments. And then maybe you'll notice the fact that this is a rather pure jazz recording. Jazz?!?!? Ok, so maybe there's a bit of prog. in there...

Though that may be surprising to one who didn't really follow Bruford too closely besides noting the fact that he appeared often in accounts of and in cd liners of 70s brit prog., he himself had always considered himself a jazz drummer, and that's why he started playing drums. Thus, jazz is a big part of what his group Earthworks is about.

As for this album, the presence of Tim Garland on the sax/flute/Bass Clarinet obviously does a lot to make the jazz element even stronger, as half of the songs are his compositions, and the other half Bruford's. There's definetly a lot of showcase on both of these guys and the two other guys do a great job supporting them and of occasionally showing their prowess also.

A great listen for fans of Bruford, percussions in general and accoustic jazz. An interesting listen for fans of progressive rock.

A Random Act of Happiness

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Juggle dammit
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:24 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2007, 07:24 PM #4 of 201
The Best of Gong
Label: Charly
Compilation release: 2000
Genre: Space Rock/Progressive Rock

gong cover.jpg

CD 1 (55:56)
1. Mystic sister (1:542. Magick brother (4:01)
3. Mister Long Shanks/O Mother I am your fantasy (5:57)
4. Dynamite/I am your animal (4:32)
5. Wet cheese delirium (0:32)
6. Tropical fish/Selene (7:39)
7. Radio gnome invisible (5:33)
8. Flying teapot (11:49)
9. Pot head pixies (3:03)
10. Zero the hero and the witch's spell (9:38)
11. Castle in the clouds (1:13)

CD 2 (67:40)
1. Flute salad (2:45)
2. Oily way (3:00)
3. Outer temple (1:09)
4. Inner temple (3:21)
5. I niver gild before (5:36)
6. Eat the phone book coda (3:09)
7. Magik mother invocation (1:10)
8. Master builder (7:18)
9. The isle of everywhere (10:24)
10. You never blow your trip forever (11:13)
11. New age transformation try/No more sages (12:07)
12. Jungle windo(w) (6:23)

Total Time 123:36

Collective Personnel:

- Daevid Allen / vocals, guitars, bass
- Didier Malherbe / saxes, flute, vocals
- Gilli Smyth / vocals, space whispers
- Tim Blake / synthesizers, keyboards, vocals
- Steve Hillage / guitars, vocals
- Rachid Houari / drums
- Christian Tritsch / guitars, bass
- Mike Howlett / bass, vocals
- Pierre Moerlen / drums, percussion, vocals
- Dieter Gewissler / contrabass
- Tasmin Smyth / voices
- Pip Pyle / drums
- Eddy Louiss / organ & piano
- Constantin Simonovitch / phased piano
- Francis Bacon / synthesizers, pianos, bass
- Mireille Bauer / percussion
- Benoît Moerlen / percussion
- Bill Laswell / bass
- Bill Bacon / drums
- Fred Maher / drums
- Gary Windo / Tenor saxophone
- Prof. Sharpstrings P.A. (Steffy) / guitar & lips
- Keith Missile Bass / bass guitar & Tree trunk
- Kif Kif Le Batteur / drummery & asides besides
- Gavin Da Blitz / synthesizah & pinball flip

Welcome to the planet Gong!!!

In starting I'd like to say that I'm very rarely a fan of compilations, but this one was put together with such mastery that I had to make an exception. This album was what got me into Gong in the first place, and I still find it's as good a listen as many of the actual albums.

Gong has been a very international band ever since it's first form, which developped when Australia born guitarist/lyricist Daevid Allen got denied re-entry into the U.K. after his then fledgling band The Soft Machine went to play a few shows in France. It has since then spawned many spin-off bands each with it's individual personnality. (Planet Gong, Mother Gong, Pierre Moerlen's Gong, The Invisible Opera Company of Tibet, etc,etc.)

This compilation, however, is mostly comprised of songs from the root Gong bad of the late sixties and seventies. This means that you get to hear the original Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy's title songs (Flying Teapot, Radio Gnome Invisible and Pot-Head Pixies), which reveal a good part of Allen's Gong mythology, which is nothing less than a complete (and very particular) spiritual view of the universe.

Another very interesting aspect of this recording is the variety of musician's that have participated on one track or another, which gives each track a very fresh sound while still holding enough continuity for it to be recognized as a true part of the band's output.

My personal favorite tracks are the Eat the Phone Book Coda which showcases the jazzier side of the band, Dynamite: I am your animal, an intensely groovy tune that's truly showcases some of the band's crazier moments and I niver glid before, which gives a good idea of Daevid Allen's Gong mythology.

This album will probably appeal to fans of Fusion Jazz, Progressive/space Rock and fans of psychedelic rock(cf. early Pink Floyd albums). It may also appeal to fans of electronic music to a certain extent and fans of Weirdness (yes, with a capital W ) will almost certainly dig this.

The Oily Way

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Juggle dammit

Last edited by i am good at jokes; Dec 11, 2007 at 06:35 PM.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Feb 26, 2008, 04:03 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 05:03 PM 1 #5 of 201
The Dinner is Ruined - Elevator Music For Non-Claustrophobic People
Genre: Electro/experimental rock
Release Oct 28, 1997

1. House Of Defeat
2. Shower In Elevator
3. I Ain't No Neal Cassidy
4. Lod Foot Gives The Finger
5. Johnny Firetalker
6. You Are Not A Number
7. Airplanes Are O-K-
8. Whirly Beat, The
9. E.Muz4N. - (with C. People)
10. Valentine
11. Key Parts
12. Swallows Pt. 2

As far as a review goes,

I think this guy says it best:

Spoiler:

Review By: Darren Kerr, 1997

About five years ago, this totally bizarre band (i.e. The Dinner is Ruined) played the Hungry Eye in front of 11 people. Yep. And the ratio of people who "get" T.D.I.R. to people who think them talentless geek weirdos is probably... 11 to 7,936.

But now that (1) the Butthole Surfers are being influenced by Beck and (2) Ween are normal rulers of whatever genre kingdom they plant the freak flag on, it's up to bands like the Dinner is Ruined and Six Finger Satellite to make our relatives and loved ones scream, "What the hell are you listening to?!?!?"

No two pieces on this disc are alike. I'm not even sure I can describe what anything on this disc even sounds like. Batman sounds effect. THWAP! KLONK! URRRRK! Wine and bug juice. Vinegar and grape nuts... and the machine that goes ping. You bought it, you name it. I don't recommend this as a home game.

Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: The fish.

File under: Whaaa??!?!

Enjoy.

Download Link

I was speaking idiomatically.

Juggle dammit
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:20 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2008, 10:20 PM #6 of 201
Robert Fripp & The League of Crafty Guitarists - Show of Hands

Label: Plan 9/Caroline
Year: 1991
Genre: Minimalist/Progressive Rock

Track List
1. Listen
2. Eye of the Needle
3. Askesis
4. Bicycling to Afghanistan
5. Here Comes My Sweetie
6. Easy Way
7. Scaling the Whales
8. Moving Force
9. Connecticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur
10. This Yes
11. Are You Abel? (Ready and Able to Rock & Roll)
12. Spasm for Juanita
13. Hard Times
14. Burning Siesta
15. Empty Magazine
16. Circulation
17. Chiara
18. Asturias
19. Ease God's Sorrow

A really cool album I felt some here might enjoy, masterminded by King Crimson guitarist Robert Fripp. It is quite reminiscent of King Crimson's Discipline album. It is a very introspective yet intense record, so if your up for that, give it a listen. My personal favorite track was Connecticut Yankee in the Court of King Arthur probably because it was one of the wackiest tunes on the album, along with Spasm for Juanita.

A word to the wise: if you don't like accoustic guitars, stay away from this album. To all others, enjoy!

And for those who like a longer review, here's one I found that described the album a bit more in detail:

Spoiler:
Guitar wizard Robert Fripp joins forces with some of the finest six-string pickers around, offering up a truly intricate variety of music on Show of Hands. With 17 guitarists contributing to 19 tracks, the likes of Trey Gunn, Paul Richards, and Curt Golden (just to name a few) decorate the album with elaborate string arrangements that range from avant-garde to classical in nature. Anyone who is a guitar enthusiast will be astonished at how tight Fripp comes across with his unique style. From time to time, vocalist Patricia Leavitt displays her beautiful falsetto voice a cappella for a fresh change of pace. The music is shaped, bent, and twisted with guitar atop guitar to culminate thick layers of movements, suites, and passages. Some of the songs have a Latin flavor to them, some African, and some are just plain bewildering, representing a progressive rock angle. While no two songs sound the same, the onslaught of guitars may be a bit too much for some. Listening to each track as a whole results in some stunning mood music, and the pleasant addition of a viola and textured keyboards adds to the beauty.

- Mike DeGagne, All Music Guide

Download Link

How ya doing, buddy?

Juggle dammit

Last edited by i am good at jokes; Apr 1, 2008 at 06:11 PM.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Jun 2, 2010, 02:54 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2010, 03:54 PM #7 of 201
Since it has been a while since I posted anything here, I figured I'd make this post a twofer.

Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
Artists: David Byrne and Brian Eno
Released: 2008
Label: Todo Mundo

This one is for anyone who enjoyed Strange Overtones in SAUS this year. This album follow in the foot steps of My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, released in 1981, which was the first full album released by Byrne and Eno under their names. Eno had contributed quite a bit to the Talking Heads as their producer, having a definite influence on the band's (and more specifically David Byrne's) style, and co-writing songs with the band.

Everything That Happens Will Happen Today is quite a departure from Eno and Byrne's prior collaborations, although their respective styles are still quite evident and recognizable. The serene quality of much of Eno's ambient work is definitely present, as is Byrne's unique way with words. A testament to the matured styles of both individuals, this album is well worth a listen.

Everything You Download You'll Download Today

Stop Making Sense [Film Soundtrack Edition]

Band: Talking Heads
Released: 1999 (album), 1984 (film)
Label: Sire

What is Stop Making Sense? If we're talking about the concert film, it's only one of the best (if not the best) concert films ever to grace a cinema screen. If were talking about the album, and this version in particular, well, it's pretty much the same thing as far as albums taken from concert films. Without a doubt, this is my favorite Talking Heads album. The setlist is incredible, the performances consistently great, and the band is in top shape. The only unfortunate incident throughout the whole thing is Genius of Love, a song by two members of the band from their other band The Tom Tom Club. I left it on here so that you could all judge for yourselves how mind-boggling it is that they actually let this get into the film, and consequently, the album. Let's not dwell on that, however, as even this little bit of a dark spot doesn't come close to succeeding in tarnishing this gem of an album.

For anyone who doesn't know the Talking Heads, there is no better way to get into their music than by giving this album a listen. And if you've played Rockband, you'll appreciate David Byrne's beat-box accompanied performance of it at the head of the album. The Talking Heads is one of the bands that helped solidify the definition of New Wave as a musical genre by departing quite markedly from the close association it had to punk. By incorporating more and more varied influences as the band matured, the Talking Heads were able to bring a new and fresh sound to just about every album they put out.

As a side-note, I'll prompt anyone who enjoys this album and has not yet seen the film from which it is derived to give it a viewing as soon as possible, as it doesn't disappoint.

I've Nothing Clever To Write Here

Happy listening!

FELIPE NO

Juggle dammit
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Gamingforce Music Exposure Club™