Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] J-Pop: An Introduction (and discussion)

Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 03:45 PM #126 of 609
Hikki's new album's cover and tracklist!

lol I love how the album's called ULTRA BLUE while she has this SUPER RED cape flowing around her.

01. This Is Love
02. Keep Tryin'
03. BLUE
04. 日曜の朝
05. Making Love
06. 誰かの願いが叶うころ
07. COLORS
08. One Night Magic feat. Yamada Masash
09. 海路
10. WINGS
11. Be My Last
12. Eclipse(Interlude)
13. Passion

source

I don't like the fact that WINGS is on there. Also some of the song titles are kinda scary but I'll just wait and see before I make any judgment.

And no CD+DVD version?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Technophile; Apr 19, 2006 at 03:47 PM.
soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 04:46 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 03:46 PM #127 of 609
Originally Posted by Technophile
01. This Is Love
02. Keep Tryin'
03. BLUE
04. 日曜の朝
05. Making Love
06. 誰かの願いが叶うころ
07. COLORS
08. One Night Magic feat. Yamada Masash
09. 海路
10. WINGS
11. Be My Last
12. Eclipse(Interlude)
13. Passion

source

I don't like the fact that WINGS is on there. Also some of the song titles are kinda scary but I'll just wait and see before I make any judgment.

And no CD+DVD version?
For future reference, track 4 is "Nichiyou no Asa" (Sunday Morning) and track 9 is "Kairo" (Sea Route).

Hikki's never had a CD+DVD version, so I expect that we'll see a UH4 DVD announcement shortly after the release of ULTRA BLUE.

FELIPE NO
Technophile

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:29 PM #128 of 609
Yeah but her latest singles have all had CD only or CD+DVD versions! It seems like pretty much every jpop artist, with avex or otherwise, has adopted this with or without DVD format ever since Ayu first did it with Memorial Address. I want the CD to have some sort of extras...

Anyway, I can't wait till we get samples of the new songs.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:35 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 04:35 PM #129 of 609
Yeah but her latest singles have all had CD only or CD+DVD versions! It seems like pretty much every jpop artist, with avex or otherwise, has adopted this with or without DVD format ever since Ayu first did it with Memorial Address. I want the CD to have some sort of extras...

Anyway, I can't wait till we get samples of the new songs.
I think Hikki just likes to do her own thing. That's what makes her such a great artist and person. Maybe she just likes the idea of a UH4 over CD and CD+DVD versions of ULTRA BLUE.

I'm most interested in hearing This Is Love. For some reason, I'm reminded of Uso Mitai na I Love You when I see that title.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Technophile

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:50 PM #130 of 609
Yeah maybe. We'll see.

Anyway, This is Love, One Night Magic and Making Love are, in my opinion, awful titles. I cannot imagin how these songs would be good or taken seriously. However, I also thought that Be My Last and Passion were awful titles before I heared the songs but then ended loving them. Because of that, I'm really eager to see where she's going with these songs.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:41 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 08:41 PM #131 of 609
Anyway, This is Love, One Night Magic and Making Love are, in my opinion, awful titles. I cannot imagin how these songs would be good or taken seriously. However, I also thought that Be My Last and Passion were awful titles before I heared the songs but then ended loving them. Because of that, I'm really eager to see where she's going with these songs.
One Night Magic sounds like something you'd find in a Bemani game, and Making Love sounds like something she'd write as Utada.

As for Be My Last and Passion, I thought they were brilliant titles. "Be My Last" obviously had clear connections to Haru no Yuki (a doomed love, perhaps?) and "Passion" just sounded epic. "Passion" has many different connotations anyways, so one's interpretation of the title depends on how they define "passion."

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:33 AM #132 of 609
Anyway, This is Love, One Night Magic and Making Love are, in my opinion, awful titles. I cannot imagin how these songs would be good or taken seriously...
It doesn't matter. They're in English. This is a Japanese CD.

Track six's "Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro"; something along the lines of "Concerning Granting Someone's Wishes".

Has anyone heard of this Yamada Musash(i) before?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Weeklan
Weeklan #02

Member 1605

Level 11.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:45 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 04:45 PM #133 of 609
I think J-POP is too commercial, the mainstream artists anyway and I don't like it. It's not just J-Pop though, I hate American pop, British pop, any pop really. (only a few exceptions) So i'll leave JPop out of this.

Can somebody name me some GOOD J-RnB, J-HipHop and J-ROCK artists? (or maybe some good non-mainstream J-Pop artists)

Artists (Or groups) I like that fit under either of these category's are:

HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR, UVERworld, Sunset Swish, HOME MADE KAZOKU, Takahashi Hitomi, AMADORI.

Notice that most (infact all) have either come from Anime opening songs & ending songs? >_> Blood+, Bleach and Naruto to be exact.

But for some reason as soon as I start to explore Japanese music I CANNOT find any decent Japanese tunes, any genre for that matter (rock, pop, hip hop, RnB)

So, does anybody know something good? a tune that has flare and style to it, the vocals dont have to be perfect or anything but just a tune with good vibe?

I was speaking idiomatically.
FFS!!

Last edited by Weeklan; Apr 20, 2006 at 10:47 AM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:35 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 04:35 PM #134 of 609
Originally Posted by Weeklan
I think J-POP is too commercial, the mainstream artists anyway and I don't like it. It's not just J-Pop though, I hate American pop, British pop, any pop really. (only a few exceptions) So i'll leave JPop out of this.
Talk about mass stereotyping.

Out of interest, are you basing this rather extreme opinion of J-Pop (which is at best a lose description used to cover a wide range of music) soley on your experience of J-Pop so far, which by your own admission is anime themes? If so I would recommend you reconsider your position, or are you seriously going to argue that someone like Shiina Ringo/Tokyo Jihen and other such acts are too commercial? Exactly who is it that makes you believe that J-Pop is so commercial?

It seems highly contradictory to say "All this music is crap" and then "Hey guys I don't know much about this music, point me in the right direction kplz", not to mention a little rude.

Weeklan
Weeklan #02

Member 1605

Level 11.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:04 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 06:04 PM #135 of 609
OK first way to go for asnwering my question. Let me give you a hand! *big clap! clap x23* you also get a cookie! Maryland style! *hands Maryland cookie to you*

OK now that i've acknowledged your helpfullness let me get this crap out the way.

I didnt say ALL J-pop was like this. and just because I say something doesnt mean u need to take it out of context. I even said I wanted some good recommendations to JPop if you actually read my post properly?

Anyway I wont get into this debate, can anybody recommend me some good stuff or not? (one of the purposes of this thread I believe)

FELIPE NO
FFS!!
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:00 PM #136 of 609
So, there's been a trend with snotty n00bs stumbling in the J-pop thread, I take it.

I think the problem isn't so much that popular music is "bad" (which is opinion, anyway), but it seems that popular music isn't your cup of tea. (This is what I get from your "a tune that has flare and style to it, the vocals dont have to be perfect or anything but just a tune with good vibe" statement.) You could've just said that you like rock and hip-hop more than general pop.

There's good music in most every genre if you search for it.

Out of curiousity, what artists have you heard and not liked?

rossbarney2003
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5362

Level 2.12

Apr 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:08 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 08:08 PM #137 of 609
I can't wait for Utada's new album. I love "Keep Tryin" (Check out my remix PV if it on Kumi-X), "Passion", "Wings" and "Colors", but i am slightly annoyed that we are only getting 6 new tracks (excluding the interlude), well seven for me as I haven't heard "Be My Last" yet and i'm saving it for the new album release.

Hopefully the 6 new tracks will be so good that quantity loses it's meaning. Why shouldn't they be amazing? The singles have been great and it us Utada afterall.

Weeklan
Weeklan #02

Member 1605

Level 11.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:57 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 08:57 PM #138 of 609
Alright I guess I could've worded it a bit more polite and less "snotty" (were you refering to me with the "snotty noob" statement?) but whatever.

And I just generally sat down and fully listened to a few tracks of some of the popular mainstream artists. Ones like Hamasaki Ayumi, BOA but I guess their style isn't necessarily my taste.

So does that help you to help me?

FFS!!
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:03 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 12:03 PM #139 of 609
Originally Posted by Weeklan

Can somebody name me some GOOD J-RnB, J-HipHop and J-ROCK artists? (or maybe some good non-mainstream J-Pop artists)
From what you've listed, a recent album comes to mind. It's relatively new, but you may be interested in LISA's new album, "God Sista." Another one you might try out is EXILE's "ASIA" album.

Technophile

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:36 PM #140 of 609
Originally Posted by Lee-chan
It doesn't matter. They're in English. This is a Japanese CD.

Track six's "Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro"; something along the lines of "Concerning Granting Someone's Wishes".

Yes, it does. Just because the song titles are in a different language than the song itself it doesn't mean the title can be anything. It still represents the song! If we followed your argument then the songs could be named ,for example, Bukkakke Diarrhea Froth and it'd still be ok cause, hey! the rest of the song's in Japanese so the English title doesn't matter!

Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro actually fits with the song. The song's all about the duality of things and how some people's happiness is built on others' misery and how when someone's wish comes true, another person's dreams fall apart.

Now I'm not dismissing the new songs cause I haven't heared them yet. I'm just eager to actually hear them to see how the songs will justify these titles. I'm personally having trouble picturing these titles actually work but I think Hikki can pull it off.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 04:43 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 03:43 PM #141 of 609

I purposely didn't romanize/translate track 6, since I thought it obvious that it was Dareka. Eh heh heh...

As for Yamada Musashi, he's the vocalist of THE BACK HORN. I bet that Hikki met him through her husband, Kaz.

Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 04:53 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 02:53 PM #142 of 609
Weeklan, you'll want to avoid those sweeping generalizations. Even though you didn't say "all" J-pop, you pretty much called out all popular music in any case. Music that most of us are fans of.

Music that is popular is so because most people like it. Sure, there's definitely music out there that sells well and is of questionable value, but that's everyone subjective opinion which would no doubt cause pointless debates about who is better. Please listen to more music besides anime themes and a couple albums here and there. Japanese music is more diverse than it seems.

In any case, I'd like to throw some recommendations your way, although unforunately most of them would probably be considered "mainstream".

I'm a big fan of m-flo and I think within their recent "m-flo loves" albums, where they work with so many different artists (which means many types of songs) most people find at least a couple songs that they're fans of.

If you're looking more in terms of R&B, I like both Chemistry and EXILE. They've got the singing duo thing down pat. Emi Hinouchi is a singer that I wish more people had a chance to listen to because I think she's fantastic, but she only has one album out which was released in 2004. Yoshika isn't that bad either, but my exposure to her is limited (only through the m-flo loves songs). What I've heard though, I like.

Another recommendation that I'd throw out there is Rip Slyme. I'm a sucker for the "bunch of MCs and a DJ" groupings that have been popping up recently, but Rip Slyme has been doing it for awhile and quite well.

Technophile, I believe your gripes should lie with the Japanese educational system on how they teach English. There have been plenty of songs with titles that "don't work" that were excellent. But yeah, as you said, you're not disliking them prematurely, just noting the questionable English (which, IMO, isn't as bad as some others).

I would love to listen to a song called Bukkakke Diarrhea Froth. It already sounds awesome.

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
Technophile

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:17 PM #143 of 609
Originally Posted by Rollins

Technophile, I believe your gripes should lie with the Japanese educational system on how they teach English. There have been plenty of songs with titles that "don't work" that were excellent. But yeah, as you said, you're not disliking them prematurely, just noting the questionable English (which, IMO, isn't as bad as some others).

I would love to listen to a song called Bukkakke Diarrhea Froth. It already sounds awesome.
See, becauase of this reason, I usually do completely overlook Jpop's English titles. (Don't get me started on some of Ayu's songs' names). But see, Hikki is Japanese-American. She's completely fluent in English. There's just no excuse for her to have engrishy song titles. Also, with her, it's not even a matter of questionable grammer or spelling. It's just that these new song titles are kinda cheesy. But whatever, we'll wait and see. (Sorry, didn't mean to use puns)

FELIPE NO
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 06:25 PM #144 of 609
See, becauase of this reason, I usually do completely overlook Jpop's English titles. (Don't get me started on some of Ayu's songs' names). But see, Hikki is Japanese-American. She's completely fluent in English. There's just no excuse for her to have engrishy song titles. Also, with her, it's not even a matter of questionable grammer or spelling. It's just that these new song titles are kinda cheesy. But whatever, we'll wait and see. (Sorry, didn't mean to use puns)
Regardless of her background and knowledge, the fact is that she's in the Japanese market right now. The general Japanese public isn't familiar enough with the English language to know what "cheesy" is. Also - as far as I'm concerned, there's absolutely no way Hikki can hit a new artistic low after hearing some of the lyrics of the Exodus songs.

Weeklan, my apologies for any offenses with the n00b comment... but remember, a little humility will go a long way, especially when you're the one asking for help. People like m-flo and CHEMISTRY have been reccomended already; maybe you'd like to try Dragon Ash, Ketsumeishi or Teriyaki Boyz. You seem like you'd like a lot of things in the "hip-rock" category.

Technophile

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:44 PM #145 of 609
Regardless of her background and knowledge, the fact is that she's in the Japanese market right now. The general Japanese public isn't familiar enough with the English language to know what "cheesy" is. Also - as far as I'm concerned, there's absolutely no way Hikki can hit a new artistic low after hearing some of the lyrics of the Exodus songs.
Oh so just because a good number of Japanese folk aren't fluent in English that gives her the right to pull a fast one on her fans and just title the songs whatever? (I'm not saying that's what she did since I haven't heared the songs yet but that's the excuse you're using)

Also, Exodus is a damn good album. The music on it was so rich and ambient. It was full of awsome electronic yet poppy tracks. The lyrics were witty and different. The only track that had "cheesy" lyrics was Easy Breezy and that's only because it's a playful song. Too bad most people were too stuck up to see that.

-EDIT-

Thanks to Utada-online.net,

New tour pic

Larger pic of the cover...

Last edited by Technophile; Apr 20, 2006 at 10:17 PM.
Flara
yours only

Member 4638

Level 10.40

Apr 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:06 AM #146 of 609
OMG OP!!!!! *jumps up and down*
I LOVE YOU!!!!
ever since u mentioned about YUI... i decided to DL her songs and I finally found that ONE SONG I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR SINCE LIKE.... FOREVER!!!!

GYAH!!! *does the happy dance*
I LOVE YOU OP!!!! or a_utobot...

oh btw... does anyone know what's happening to Sowelu right now? She's been kinda quiet lately...

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:26 AM #147 of 609
Originally Posted by Flara

oh btw... does anyone know what's happening to Sowelu right now? She's been kinda quiet lately...
She hasn't been quiet at all. She released an album last July, and since then 2 singles, one in November and one in February. Her third single, presumably the last before her next album, will be released on May 10th, entitled "Dear friend".

Sowelu @ CDJapan

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:09 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 07:09 AM #148 of 609
GYAH!!! *does the happy dance*
I LOVE YOU OP!!!! or a_utobot...
Ha ha, it's still OP (and hopefully should be again soon), but yah, wheeeeee so glad for you. ^^ YUI love all around.

Actually, I've rediscovered and fallen in love with (once again) the Younha album, Go! Younha. It's an amazing album and one I'd recommend to anyone currently digging on YUI. A bit more piano than guitar, but there's a bit of a similarity style wise I'd say.

How ya doing, buddy?
Flara
yours only

Member 4638

Level 10.40

Apr 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:49 AM #149 of 609
yeah younha? or yuuna? youna? i dunno... cuz her name is katakana is spelled YU-U-NA... dunnnnno...

anyways I really liked the song Houki Hoshi it's so... i dunno makes me wanna sing with her lolz...

thanks a_yaoi or.. Ultima is it?? lol gyah... i wish I could have turned my name to a_mistake lol funnny.... yeah I'm impatient about Sowelu's music... she's the greatest imo... and she's the second jpop singer that I discovered that can speak fluent english (the first one is hikki... third is LISA, m-flo, heartsdales..."

soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 04:43 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 03:43 PM #150 of 609
yeah younha? or yuuna? youna? i dunno... cuz her name is katakana is spelled YU-U-NA... dunnnnno...
She's Korean, so Yunna (ユンナ) is just a transliteration of how her name would be pronounced in Korean, which seems to be spelled "Younha."

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] J-Pop: An Introduction (and discussion)