Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Hellboy II: The Golden Army

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:40 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2008, 02:40 PM #1 of 11
Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008) - Movie Info - Yahoo! Movies

I'll be seeing this one for sure; probably tomorrow at a matinee since I have a softball game tonight. I really enjoyed the expert pacing and humor of the first film. I haven't read the Hellboy comic books so I'm not familiar with the setting & characters otherwise, but I'm glad to see they're adding a new team member with this second film. The first one had an almost steampunk quality to it, and it will be interesting to see how that carries over to this sequel. (They're also releasing a multi-platform video game in conjunction with the movie.)

It seems like we're still in a golden age of superhero/comic book films; hopefully it will last awhile longer.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:56 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 01:56 PM #2 of 11
The first one was based on "Seed of Destruction" a story from the comic books. So some of the fans didn't really like it. While this one is a totally new story they made, so there will be no biases against the comics and also it will be a lot more accessible to newer audiences. I'm really excited to watch this movie, being Hellboy fan and all, too bad it's still a week or two away from it's release (here in my country).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 04:37 AM #3 of 11
It definitely had its charming moments. The humor was very light hearted and entertaining. You could definitely note the Pan's Labyrinth-esque feel with the flick. Overall, I really enjoyed it more than the first (especially with the introduction of Johann Kraus)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:22 AM 1 #4 of 11
The movie was alright.

There were no character motivations at all (saving a princess barely works on 8-bit games, people) and the production design drowns if you don't stop to look at it. Perlman is a fantastic actor no matter the film and Elfman's score is the best he's written in ages.

Outside of one scene where Hellboy and Abe split beers, the movie was a bore. Props for using Roy Dotrice; god knows how the fuck he's alive.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Shively
Banned

Member 28885

Level 13.18

Mar 2008

Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:14 PM #5 of 11
It definitely had its charming moments. The humor was very light hearted and entertaining. You could definitely note the Pan's Labyrinth-esque feel with the flick. Overall, I really enjoyed it more than the first (especially with the introduction of Johann Kraus)
I will say one monster in the film looked totaly pans in its design. The humor was great, someone light hearted but had a few heavy moments. I was upset certain elements were not there that were in the last one but over all I'd say this one was better than the first ( which is what most people like )

This is one of those movies I would never download until I paid to see it on the big screen!!

I was speaking idiomatically.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:42 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2008, 11:42 AM #6 of 11
I've gotta agree with LeHah on this one. It would have been worth a rental, but not worth spending $8 + popcorn at a theater to see. I don't understand how people thought this one was better than the last? The plot was worse. There was almost no point to the Abe Sapien character being in the story; he had not useful powers. There was no point to Selma Blair's character: the one use of her powers seemed very contrived and she had the emotional range of Chuck Norris in this sequel. At least in the first one they played up her "angst" angle.

After seeing this film, I would rather have spent the time watching Hellboy again than going to the theater. I own the first one and enjoy it quite a bit, but this second one was off the mark. I would say the most enjoyable aspect of the film was the humor.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Tehgato
Welcome Home

Member 2607

Level 9.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:46 PM #7 of 11
I thought it was hilarious, and I try not to compare it to the first... but the plot was kinda weak in general.

FELIPE NO
This cat will kill you.
Spoiler:
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2008, 01:38 PM #8 of 11
There was almost no point to the Abe Sapien character being in the story
Worse yet, seeing Seth MacFarlane's name in the credits is like finding a crushed, dead spider as the prize in a Crackerjack box.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
VitaPup
X-Man

Member 4740

Level 14.81

Apr 2006

Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:58 PM #9 of 11
Did it bother anyone else that
Spoiler:
the entire movie is pretty much about keeping the 3rd piece of the crown away from the elf prince. So after all that effort (and making me sit in the theater for 2 hours) what do they do? The fire girl destroys the crown. Why didn't they just destroy the 3rd piece while it was in their possession? This movie was a waste of my time.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Shively
Banned

Member 28885

Level 13.18

Mar 2008

Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:00 PM #10 of 11
I am wondering if we will ever see Kornen again, I know he must still be arround. Is it true though there will only be 3 of them made?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:32 AM Local time: Aug 6, 2008, 12:32 PM #11 of 11
Seeing as how we always get retardely delayed releases over here I've only just got around to seeing this film last night (and this was at an advanced screening no less, the film doesn't arrive here proper until late this month).

Personally I really enjoyed this film. It's not big or clever, but then I never felt like it was trying to be. It's out to be a bit of entertainment, and in that goal it succeeds brilliantly if you ask me. Some great humour, visually appealing, light-hearted and fun: exactly what I wanted out the movie, and I got it in spades.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Hellboy II: The Golden Army