Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:33 AM #1 of 87
Utawarerumono: The One Being Sung

-Type: Anime Series
-Genre: Fantasy

-Length: 26 Episodes
-Some Screenshots: Coming soon once I re-hookup my hard drive.

Eruruu (left) and Aruruu(right) holding Mukuru

Hakouro (well, his back), Aruruu on Mukuru, and Benawi (back)

Clockwise from left: Hakouro, Benawi, Eruruu, Munto, Urutorii

Clockwise from Hakouro: Hakouro (obvoiusly), Benawi, Karura, Kurou, Dori, Gura (or visa versa, I dunno, they're twins), Oboro, and Eruruu

Touka with Kurou's Arm.

Karura ready to open a can of whoopass.

-Music Composer: Hijiri Anze, Miyu Nakamura, Suara (Opening)

This is some good music in this anime. The Opening theme is probably one of the more memorable ones I've heard, and unlike most others, I actually don't mind listening through this EVERY episode since it really doesn't get old. During the actual episode, the music fits the atmosphere and mood very nicely and they compliment each other very well. The Ending theme isn't nearly as good as the opening (then again, not much else is on the same level as the opening), but it's definitely not bad.
Music Found here: http://www.geocities.com/PianoSaxoph...arerumono.html

MUSIC: 19/20

The plot of Utawarerumono follows a protagonist who, like many protagonists, is an amnesiac and has little to no recollection of his past. He is found severely wounded and is nursed back to health by Tusukuru, a town elder of a small village, and her two granddaughters, Eruruu and Aruruu. After getting acquainted with the town, the protagonist joins the townspeople in fending off a mythological creature who comes at some nights and causes destruction. After this, the protagonist, who up to this point is more or less nameless, is given the name Hakouro, the name of Tusukuru's son, and the name of the father of the two granddaughters. Later on, the small town rises up and rebells against the government and overtakes it and becomes a powerful nation named after Tusukuru.

Personally, I love the plot (partially because I love the fantasy genre of anime) and the story advances at a perfect pace with the right amount of action and deep, emotional moments at the right times.

STORY: 30/30

The cast for Utawarerumono is pretty well rounded with the initially small party of Hakouro/Eruruu/Aruruu quickly expands to include many more memorable characters like Oboro (dual-sword wielding fighter), Benawi (captain of the army - polearm user), Touka (a swordmaster), and many more. Each character is developed fully and their motives and emotions are crafted beautifully, as if they were real people. Each has their background and past that they recall at certain points of the anime, and we also see exactly how each character develops and how their personality forms and changes as the series goes on. Their pasts are also exposed and we see exactly what their motivations are and just marvel at how much they've grown since you first saw them.

CHARACTERS: 30/30

It's a rather generic art style that is typical for Fantasy type anime. Not saying that it's bad, but it doesn't set itself apart in this respect. The characters, however, are well designed physically. There are a few sections that are CG rendered, but for brief periods of time. Otherwise, the animation is smooth, and the art is clean, albeit somewhat generic.

ANIMATION/ART: 15/20

Overall Score: 94/100

Final Thoughts: It's a really good anime if you love fantasy anime (like me). There's enough action to keep you engrossed in the story and more than enough dramatic moments, and even some romantic moments. You grow fond of all the characters as you watch them develop.

Here's the Opening Sequence if you're curious. The fighting here is, unfortunately, probably the best you'll see (for Oboro at least, and probably the twins too). But it's damn good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zd14...elated&search=

or

You can listen to the FULL theme song complimented with some good (non-spoiling) clips of the anime.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rFzhIBlMyfg

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request

Last edited by Omnislash124; Jan 14, 2007 at 08:40 PM.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 02:32 PM #2 of 87
Looks like January of 2007.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2007, 08:18 AM #3 of 87
I'm moving the guidelines over to this post in order to keep the index clean.

Guidelines

Mandatory Items to be Included:
-Provide the full title for the anime or manga
-Is it an anime series? A manga? An OAV or movie? Please make sure you clearly state what it is.
-Please provide which genre (comedy, action, etc) it falls under. If it fits in more than one category, feel free to list them all.
-You must somehow mention what the anime, movie, OAV, or manga is about. Avoid spoiling the plot for others, and use spoiler tags when appropriate. Also, try not to copy-paste summaries from other sites.
-As this is a recommendation thread, please voice your thoughts!

Helpful Things You May Want to Provide:
-Length of the series
-A non-spoiler screenshot or two
....Try not to stretch tables
....Don't forget about the dial-up users!
....For larger images, please either resize or use thumbnails
-Music Composer
-Rating/Score
-Setting (modern-day city, a cloud, etc.)
-Alternate Titles (i.e. Honey and Clover/Hachimitsu to Clover)
Please please please please please please please thumbnail gianormous images, as there may be some 56k users. As to what qualifies as gianormous, please use proper judgement. If you wish, you may put multiple images in spoiler tags if you happen to have a lot, as this means less scrolling to get to the next post. Thank you much.

That's about it! Remember to try and add some substance to your post! Posts containing only, "I agree!," or, "I love (Insert Title Here)" won't be tolerated. Questions concerning certain series should be put into the General Questions thread or the appropriate thread for the series, if one already exists.
You might want to read that over before whoever's in charge of this gets here first.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:17 PM #4 of 87
Er...I can't recommend Lain unless you're into weird stuff relating to mindfuck anime.

But that's just me, I don't know about other people, but I didn't like it much when I watched it.

As for philosophical anime, nothing really comes to mind. But if you like Drama/Slice of Life, I'd recommend Asatte no Houkou.

Most amazing jew boots

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations