Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations

Shadow_memory
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 17868

Level 1.02

Jan 2007

Old Jan 6, 2007, 06:45 AM 1 #1 of 87
Well, might as well donate some of my favorites

the older one first;

FullMetal Alchemist - Hagane no renkijutsi
(anime)

(copy paste it into another browser, sorry but i am too new to be allowed to post images or hotlinks in general >_>)
http://www.zstore.com/images/fma_april.jpg
from the right (if you can spot them that is) Roy Mustang, Riza Hawkeye, Alfonse Elric (yep, the armor dude, and its empty O_O)m and Finally Edward Elric.

Genres: Fantasy, Horror(themes in a few of the episodes. not every one of them.) Mecha (slightly, look at Edwards arm)

Episodes (anime) 51 INCLUDING a movie.

Main plot:
The two main characters, Edward Elric and his younger brother Alfonse Elric lives alone with their mother, because their father left them for unknown reasons. Their mother dies in the beginning of the show, and their tries to get her back using alchemy. however, within alhcemy, there are 2 golden rules that HAS to be followed. 1. you can NEVER create gold. 2. you can't ressurect someone already dead. because of "equivallent trade" you also need something to create something else of the same value.

the whole story revovles around the Elric brothers trying to regain what they lost then they tried ressuructing their mother. Edward was the lucky one and only lost a arm and a leg, while his younger brother lost his whole body.

when you try to resuruct someone, they will become "sins" and given a name therefrom. to become a true human again, they will need something far greater, and anything you could possible use for the equivallent trade, INCLUDING several human lives. and that is what is called, the phillosophers stone (most like heard that name before, it is an actual legend, about a red material which could be used to create life elixer which could lengthen your life, or the source to create gold. Harry Potter uses the same legend) The Elric brothers are also looking for the philosophers stone, believing it to be the only thing that could return them to normal, and the sins, (greed, lust, gluttony, wrath, pride, envy and sloth) seeks this out because they think they can become humans after achiving it.

It starts out kinda strange, as episode one would fit better as a episode 12 or more (too long ago to remember i'm afraid -.-) but later takes it from the very beginning.

i honestly don't know what this is rated, but i'd say 13+ or even 15+ because of gore. it is tied pretty well to the horror genre, and most likely something you should stay away from if you are easily scared, or just hates that kind of thing.

overall; 8/10
i loved the story, and the whole thing about alchemy is amazing. the background is unbelievably detailed, giving us the feel that whoever made this really thought about EVERYTHING.

as a last note, while the manga and anime starts the same, they develop differently. don't ask why, and since i haven't read the manga yet, i can't tell the huge difference, it is just what i've been told.

more to go....

Ouran high school host club

Genre: comedy, romance, shounen/shoujo-ai (not the main one though) high school.
episodes (anime) : 26

http://www.pour-soi.net/images/diary...410/host02.jpg

This one really got me. i was hooked the moment i first saw this. the first episode shows us this transfer student Haruhi, who tries to find a place to read. when she enters the third music room, she finds the host club, who consist of (from the left) Mori (the silent, cool guy) Honey (the cute one) Haruhi (the "natural one" and a GIRL on top of that) Tamaki (the "leader/chairman") beneath him, the twins, the uber one is hikaru, and the lower one is kaoru (xO how did i know? xDD) and finally in the uber left corner, Kyouya, (the "SHADOW king". all the members of the host club follows HIS ideas, NOT tamaki's xP

the whole idea of the host club is to amuse rich girl with too much time on their hands. ("those rich bastards" -quote Haruhi xD) Haruhi is somehow forced into the club *cough* and because she looks like a boy (don't ask why no one on the whole damn school knows) she also becomes a host.

the whole thing lacks a plot, but it is still funny as hell, and i enjoyed most of the episodes. the only thing that kinda sucked was too many flashbacks where they use a whole episode showing how the characters were when they were younger. some of em can be funny, but sometimes, all those fillers bores you to death >_>

The funny part is their personallities.
Tamaki is the stupid one. his iq seems to be waaaay below 100, but he is amazingly good at charming girls for some reason. (maybe dumbness makes him cute xP)
Kyouya is incredibly intelligent, but has a darker side because of a huge pressure his father puts on him. even if he always seems quite friendly, and always wears a "im-happy" smile, he is wicked to the core, and that makes him incredible funny xD
Honey, the little cute CAKE freak. he eats sweets all the time. even though he looks very young, he is actually a senior, and he is deffinatly not stupid either. he is also told not ever to use his full strenght whenever he gets in a fight, because japan is afraid that other countries will think they hold mass destruction weapons O_o he is very strong xP
Mori is like the protector of Honey (as if that would be needed) and he is a master in kendo (what a pair O_x)
The twins are EVIL! they act like homos when they amuse the girls, and it REALLY works. everything they do, no matter HOW innocent it may look, has an evil meaning behind it. the two are almost ALWAYS together.
Kaoru however, is far more intelligent than his brother, or at least more mature. Hikaru seems to like haruhi (because of the fact that she can instantly see the difference in those two no matter what they do to conceal it.) but is too stupid to realize this himself (or so says kaoru xP)

Haruhi is the girl who looks a little too much like a boy. the first episode involves the whole host club slowly figuring out that she is a girl. She is the only poor student in the school, and is only there because she is extremely intelligent.

other than what i just wrote, the whole host club except for haruhi all have VERY powerful families.
Tamakis father is by FAR the most powerful, and he even owns the school itself.
Kyouya's family owns quite a bit of companies as well, (hospitals and police forces)
Mori's family has always been there to aid honeys.
Honey's family trains elite forces in close combat, and is highly regarded within the military.
the twins also have powerful parents, but i actually don't know/remember why they are...

overall 8/10. definatly a must see if you like the comedy genre and either likes the non action animes, or just want to get a like break from bleach ect.

WELL since i am APPARENTLY not allowed to split it into more posts it'll have to do like this. sorry if it is too confusing....

Tsubasa Chronicle

Lenght: 46 tv episodes and 1 movie (dunno about manga, never read those)

Genre: action, adventure, fantasy, comedy and romance (in my opinion at least)

the story itself is about a princess named Sakura, who loses her "heart". this suddenly happens when she gets near an archeoligist site with an ancient structure. Her "heart" takes form as HUGE wings, and when her childhood friend and crush (he doesn't know though) tries to save her, her wings scatter and so does her memory. they are then send to another dimension, where they meet yuuko the dimensional witch (xxxholic anyone? it is actually the one and same person we are talking about, and as far i as i've heard, cardcaptor sakura is also related to this anime) along with Sakura and her friend, called Shaoran, 2 other persons appear. one of them, a knight, who only wants to become stronger and get back to his own dimension again, and the other, a mage who wants to get away from someone he sealed away in his own dimension.

the dimensional witch yuuko, tells them that to save Sakura from death, they'll have to gather her feathers (to complete the wings, or more correctly, her memory, once again.) but since they are scattered across many dimensions. that can only be done, if you give up the most important thing to you (except for your own, or someone elses life of course)

the wings that emerged are a fysical form of the "will-of-the-heart" the person has. since Sakura has a very strong heart, her wings a HUGE. and not just that, every feather holds a lot of power, causing quite a lot of trouble for our friends.

http://kss.mysticalaura.com/info/tsubasa/trcanime.jpg

from left to right:
Sakura; the girl who lost her memory. the most important thing to her was the same as shaorans. their relationship. no matter how much she tries to remember herself, she wont be able to remember anything about shaoran ever again. she has lost both of her parents, and were living with her older brother (or the king) who didn't quite liked the idea of her and shaoran being together.
Shaoran; a martial artist, and also an archeoligist, who has lost both of her parents.
Kurogane; the swordsman, who gave up his most precious sword in exchange to be able to travel through the dimensions. he was cursed by a princess from his own dimension, which causes him to get weaker if he kills someone (he did that alot) and truth to be told, he only wants to get back home. unfortunatly, he can't before they have completly gathered Sakuras memory.
Mokona; the little white... thing. it is this little fellas job to give them messages from yuuko, and tell them where the feather is (not really, but it has an ability to help making it easier) REALLY likes to mock kurogane.
FINALLY!
Fey D. Flowright; my favorite character in this anime. he is a mage, but doesn't use magic because he promised never to use magic without a certain tatoo on his back (which were taken to allow dimension travelling) He is the funniest character i have seen for long, and he really ENJOYS mocking Kurogane, especially by giving him names (like kuro wan-wan/kurorin/kuropuu, and other dog names.) he is VERY strong even though he is a mage, and appears to be stronger than Kurogane. my favorite quote from his; "Hyuu" which is something he says alot... his reason; "well i can't whistle!" Fey is the exact oposite of Kurogane. Fey is ALWAYS smiling, except when playing serious. other than that, he RARELY removes his smile (this means he does) Kurogane on the other hand is cold and serious at all times, which is probably why Fey and Mokona likes mocking him with stupid names xP

In my opinion, a GREAT anime, but to be honest, i don't watch it because of the main couple (Sakura and Shaoran) i watch it because i like the cute and innocent Sakura and the funny pair consisting of Kurogane and Fey (no shounen ai tho xP)

i'd give it 7/10 because of good animations, but because of lacking background history, and a somewhat boring plot. every episode seems to be Shaoran fighting for his life for 1 of Sakuras feathers, and thats about it... thank god they put Kurogane and Fey in there as well xP

might as well add some more, but this post is starting to get quite long don't you think? O_o

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Shadow_memory; Jan 6, 2007 at 07:52 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] Anime and Manga Recommendations