Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Overated/underated anime's

insertnamehere
looking for a name

Member 2600

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:38 AM #1 of 81
Overated/underated anime's

Which anime's do you think are overate/underated. I personaly think evangelion is overated it left to many question's unanswered and shinshi annoyed the crap out of me with his whining. As for underated it would have to be monster i don't hear much talk about this anime even though it's a masterpiece. It's character development is phonomenal even minor characters.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:43 AM Local time: Sep 17, 2006, 10:43 AM #2 of 81
From my experience, it seems a lot of people have underrated X TV simply because the movie is so bad. X TV is a fantastic series that follows the same general pattern of X/1999, but it doesn't have the same shitty ending. Lots of character development, background, etc.

I'd venture to say that Naruto is way overrated, especially here in America. It doesn't do anything different, the animation's not bad but it isn't exceptional, and the English voices....bleh. That's gotta be the worst thing about it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:44 AM #3 of 81
I think the most overated anime is on our minds but no one wants to say it. It starts with a D and ends with the ballZ.

One anime which I think is overated, and I know alot of you are going to hate me for this, is Berserk. I decided to check it out becuase of all the hype. So I saw the first episode and I thought "ok, this may get better. I'll keep watching."
So I kept watching the series and kept thinking that there has to be a reason that people like it so much. I actually forced myself to finish the series and by the end of it all I was left with "WTF ><"
I guess people liked all the blood, and the barbaric action, and the story I guess :/. I hated it all.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

New Record!
insertnamehere
looking for a name

Member 2600

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:55 AM #4 of 81
Originally Posted by Shenlon
I think the most overated anime is on our minds but no one wants to say it. It starts with a D and ends with the ballZ.

One anime which I think is overated, and I know alot of you are going to hate me for this, is Berserk. I decided to check it out becuase of all the hype. So I saw the first episode and I thought "ok, this may get better. I'll keep watching."
So I kept watching the series and kept thinking that there has to be a reason that people like it so much. I actually forced myself to finish the series and by the end of it all I was left with "WTF ><"
I guess people liked all the blood, and the barbaric action, and the story I guess :/. I hated it all.
Dam how could i forget to mention dragon ball z, Also berserk overated . Maybe you need to read the manga, it might change your mind

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Nissay
~ ~

Member 12645

Level 5.19

Sep 2006

Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:19 PM Local time: Sep 17, 2006, 06:19 PM #5 of 81
Airgear is overrated, i just don't know why people love it..it's "ok" imo.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2006, 01:28 PM Local time: Sep 17, 2006, 11:28 AM #6 of 81
I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but Bleach started out as a promising show, built up a good pace and then became complete filler. Yet, everyone I know who watches anime thinks it's the hottest shit out there. It's OK, don't get me wrong, but it's not fucking phenomenal, especially since the day we ventured into filler hell. :/

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Easy
Carob Nut

Member 7582

Level 4.22

May 2006

Old Sep 17, 2006, 01:30 PM #7 of 81
Well, this is mostly a question of exposure and availability, isn't it? Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu was vastly overrated, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. The same can be said for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

As for underrated shows, I believe Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water still isn't getting the attention it deserves (the stranded island episodes were lame, yes, but overall it's still better than a lot of stuff that's out right now). Gunbuster is also underrated, but it's difficult for people to watch this since it's not released on legal channels here in North America.

FELIPE NO
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:04 AM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 01:04 PM #8 of 81
Originally Posted by Easy
Well, this is mostly a question of exposure and availability, isn't it? Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu was vastly overrated, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. The same can be said for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
Well, if a show is overrated it usually implies that it doesn't deserve its popularity.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:49 AM Local time: Sep 17, 2006, 11:49 PM #9 of 81
FLCL would be on the list of shows people really enjoyed but one that I personally didn't "get." It looks to me that the basic premise was to have a show that's a complete acid trip and no sense can be made from it whatsoever. I just may need someone to explain the events of that show and what elements make it so enjoyable.

Planetenbrecher
D.

Member 702

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:15 AM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 09:15 AM #10 of 81
Overated:
Cowboy Bebop
5 out of 26 episodes actually deal with the story and these episodes were superb. The other 21 were just filler. And I only found 3 or 4 of them entertaining, I didn't care for the rest.
Though it has one of the best soundtracks ever (not only in the anime-universe). They barely used one track twice in the entire series and almost all songs are really enjoyable. Kanno did a very good job with this.

Underated:
Street Fighter V
One of the best action animes I know but it's pretty unknown. Everybody just knows the movie but not the series. I think it is also the best videogame adoption there is. And it has one of my favorite op/ed ("Kaze Fuiteru" and "Cry").

chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:16 AM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 07:16 PM #11 of 81
I've yet to watch the second season, but Full Metal Panic really pissed me off and, judging from my friends' opinions about the anime, I believe it is overrated. It was just an anime that didn't click for me.

How ya doing, buddy?
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 08:53 AM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 08:53 AM #12 of 81
Originally Posted by SouthJag
I'd venture to say that Naruto is way overrated, especially here in America. It doesn't do anything different, the animation's not bad but it isn't exceptional, and the English voices....bleh. That's gotta be the worst thing about it.
I second that. I've also not seen that much greatness in Naruto. It seems like an average anime and I'm getting tired of Toonami praising it so much. I probably wouldn't call the show overrated if Toonami didn't actually take up a whole show's block just to put on last week's rerun of Naruto.

One Piece is also what I call overrated. I never got hooked on it with all the filler. It's about the only anime that I actually won't care if I miss a few episodes (or a ton). It doesn't hold my attention that much.

bighunt
Driving under the radar....

Member 608

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:12 AM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 12:12 PM #13 of 81
One anime that i think was totally underrated and didnt get much attention was Inital D. Out of all the anime I've seen, that is my absolute favorite. because i'm an east coast guy and not a huge car nut, that was my first exposure to "drifting", not to mention mountain racing!!
The storytelling is great, the characters are fantastic, and the music isn't bad to boot. I recommend it to EEVRYONE. you don't have to be a car guy/gal to like this anime. i think it has a little of something for everyone. i still watch it including the first stage.
The only problemn i have w/it is it's inconsistant releases. the 4th stage took forever even though it was 24 episodes. (Not that i'm complaining!!). I know the 5th stage is at least 2 years away, but i'm still looking forward to it.

Check it out, you may like it! http://idforums.net

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:33 PM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 12:33 PM #14 of 81
Generally any anime that deservedly or for some other ungodly reason strays far past ~52 episodes (at the ass end of the 26-52 episode sweet spot) is at least a little overrated. Dragonball and it's ilk are in this camp, along with Naruto (which coincidentally has the best episodes up to episode 50), Inuyasha and plenty of others. Any anime that has to resort to more than the rare filler (due to being based on manga source material) is largely overrated.

I've noticed many anime that are overrated tend to fall into the Shonen category, as more adult anime tend to be at least a little original or unique in presentation and in plot.

Along the lines of underrated anime two stand out for me: Outlaw Star and Gundam 0083. Outlaw Star is a very good Shonen anime, which while not incredibly original, has very strong plot and great action. Gundam 0083 on the other hand is a complex and mature side story to the ever popular Universal Century Gundam story line. It has the atmosphere similar to that of Top Gun, but does it differently, handling the plot in the typical Gundam Style. I highly recommend any anime fan to check 0083 out just to see the awesome mecha designs.

Tellurian
To know the face of God is to know Madness

Member 1328

Level 17.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:04 PM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 10:04 PM #15 of 81
Overrated: Neon Genesis Evangelion
Really. What the fuck... It's a good one, make no mistake, but still it's nowhere, really NOWHERE near the "OMG EVA IS DEM BEST ANIME EVAR!! And so psycholigically and deep!" most people put it.

Overrated: Noir
Friends of mine went nuts over it. I just thought it was totally dumb, boring, with totally crappy characters I didn't give a shit about...

FELIPE NO
Kotone
The Magna Carta

Member 10214

Level 7.83

Jul 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 05:54 PM #16 of 81
Overrated Anime: Card Captor Sakura
(As a side note, no, I don't hate CCS. In fact, it was my favorite anime way back when, and I still watch it from time to time. So don't throw things at me, okay?)

For the sake of not being repetitive in listing already mentioned anime (Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, etc.), I'll say CCS is kinda overrated. It's another one of those "Magical Girl" anime, the main character (Sakura) is a normal school girl who suddenly receives magical powers in order to seal away some magical-previously-card-bound creatures. And other than the story, that is basically all that separates CCS from Sailor Moon. Everything else, including the weird (but adorable) costumes, the super weird attack names and chants, and the overall magicalness, is present in most (if not all) of this genre of anime.

(On the plus side, at least Sakura doesn't have to go through a sparkly costume transformation scene every single time she needs to kick Clow Card booty. <_<)

insertnamehere
looking for a name

Member 2600

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:17 PM #17 of 81
Quote:
Generally any anime that deservedly or for some other ungodly reason strays far past ~52 episodes (at the ass end of the 26-52 episode sweet spot) is at least a little overrated. Dragonball and it's ilk are in this camp, along with Naruto (which coincidentally has the best episodes up to episode 50), Inuyasha and plenty of others. Any anime that has to resort to more than the rare filler (due to being based on manga source material) is largely overrated.
Not always true monster was 75 episode and i didn't think it was overated and for sure it didn't have any filler episodes.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:30 PM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 06:30 PM #18 of 81
Originally Posted by insertnamehere
Not always true monster was 75 episode and i didn't think it was overated and for sure it didn't have any filler episodes.
At the same time, I started getting bored with it fairly quickly because it seemed to me that very little was going on. That's not necessarily a failure of the series, but I had a hard time keeping interest because it seemed to drag on. I also wasn't thrilled with the plot, so i guess that didn't help. I was expecting something a bit more along the lines of The Omen when I heard about it, so finding out that it's just a disturbed little brat was disappointing.

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:40 PM #19 of 81
Underrated
---
The Law of Ueki - Understandably, it seems like another shonen anime with stereotypical characters and a small amount (regrettably the first 13 or so episodes) of filler at first glance. However, if you had the patience to get past the first several episodes, you'll find that "turning X -> Y" makes for many, many interesting combinations and tactics within battles, giving unorthodox applications and unpredictable outcomes and strategies. Definitely an underappreciated addition to the genre. It's not everyday you can see the awesomeness of turning garbage into trees.

Overrated
---
Naruto + Bleach - Probably moreso for the fact that it's appeared on TV, so it's the ONLY anime that anime noobs reference their undying love for. Filler is really pushing it now.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Easy
Carob Nut

Member 7582

Level 4.22

May 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 08:06 PM #20 of 81
Originally Posted by insertnamehere
Actually, there were filler episodes, and they were really annoying. Like that episode where Tenma hitchicked a car with the old couple (had a son on the run or something like that). And the ones where he was just fixing people up in general and nothing of importance took place.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2006, 08:17 PM Local time: Sep 18, 2006, 08:17 PM #21 of 81
DBZ may seem as horrible to some folks here, but you're looking back on it with a mindset that has been built up by anime series that spanned as a result of DBZ... Lots of manga creators of popular newer series idolized Toriyama and his success. If you read the DBZ manga back when it started, you would've thought it was dynamite.

It's like a PS2 being your first system, and you try to play a Nintendo game during a bored-stretch. The graphics aren't nearly up to your standards and anything remotely original in the NES game has been rubbed raw by now due to how these things work out.

But as for newer series? Naruto fucking blows. The manga was rather nice. Then I caught up to it. And it dragged. And dragged. And dragged. It REALLY had promise, but it just never "did it" for me. Last time I read it, I found myself getting angry at the horribly done characters (as well as character designs).

HunterxHunter never impressed me (manga-wise). It dragged along and tried to ramble special powers to redundancy. The manga creator got sick and kinda backed off. I won't pick it up again.

One Piece is cute and all but I can't get back into the manga. My older brother worships the series, but it's just not my kind of thing. Too kiddified.

I downright loathe Eva. It introduced lots of folks into anime (somehow) and it is just horrible. In-depth technology splurges and all that is good, but the bottom line is that the story is too hackneyed. Folks say it is an "intellectual" anime, but that's just a bullshit way of saying it's a horrible anime that makes more sense if you watch it while high on paint fumes.

Guu. I saw a few episodes of FINAL. Acer lectured me to give it a chance. I somehow dragged myself through half of the first season, only to gratefully delete the series when I was faced with HD space issues. Haven't looked back yet.

The Hellsing anime is something that tons of people circle-jerk over, but I don't see it as very good. It's odd, rushed, different from the manga (quite considerably), and it tries to go off and do its own thing (presumably where it caught up to the manga). Train wreck ensues.

Many more =I Anime is like American cinema -- there are some real masterpieces, but for every masterpiece, there are five mediocres and ten shitfests. And you run into folks who have a preference for one of the latter two.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Sep 18, 2006 at 08:20 PM.
szammit
Funny walk in Old Fashion

Member 1334

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 02:31 AM Local time: Sep 19, 2006, 08:31 AM #22 of 81
I second Nadia (The Secret of Blue Water). Great stuff. Some might think it's a little too similar to Eva (I've never watched Eva, but I know that some of the concepts are similar) but then again they're both the children of Anno. The island episodes suck, yes, but the finale rocks.

insertnamehere
looking for a name

Member 2600

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:57 AM #23 of 81
Originally Posted by easy
Actually, there were filler episodes, and they were really annoying. Like that episode where Tenma hitchicked a car with the old couple (had a son on the run or something like that). And the ones where he was just fixing people up in general and nothing of importance took place.{
I thought that was part of the manga well i guess i haven't gotten that far in the manga yet.

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:31 AM #24 of 81
Originally Posted by Kaiten
along with Naruto (which coincidentally has the best episodes up to episode 50)

Really? So I've just past the peak of Naruto at Episode 52? Damn, no wonder I didn't get all the smack everybody was giving for Naruto.

SephirothStrife
Carob Nut

Member 4159

Level 5.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:35 AM #25 of 81
id have to say chobits. Becuase i can not find one anime fan who hasent watch it and not liked it. i myself thought it was you everyday anime with robot chicks.....like a boring ghost in the shell i guess.

Lock and load!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Overated/underated anime's