Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] New Evangelion Movies!

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 01:11 AM #51 of 135
Originally Posted by JasonTerminator
Just so you guys know, ADV is releasing YET ANOTHER version of Eva on DVD at the end of this year, so you might want to think twice about buying the Platinum collection. Not to mention that apparently, they removed all the extras on the thinpack release of the Platinum Collection.

Makes me almost happy I skipped the Platinum collection.
Woah, what?

You got a link to news about this? I can't really see how they can improve the Platinum edition, it's pretty much perfectly fixed (from the original) in terms of video quality.

(I'm pissed that the individual volumes got rushed out of stores and replaced with the thinpak. I have to get around to ordering the last two platinum volumes, but their price alone will come up to the price of the thinpak itself!)

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-E...093620?ie=UTF8
Looks like this is the next box set.

Not really worth it, the major selling point is the inclusion of a bomber jacket (and some little video extras and crap I don't need).

Fortunately, the actual series that's included in that set is the platinum one, so I'll finish buying the individual volumes.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by JazzFlight; Sep 9, 2006 at 01:15 AM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 01:13 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 02:13 PM #52 of 135
Originally Posted by Decoy Goat
Pro-tip: You should actually try to interpret and understand the words you read on the screen before diving into a pointless e-rage over something inane as bad anime.
Do you have a e-habit of taking e-jokes seriously just so that you can drag out your e-arguments longer than they have any e-right to be?

Most amazing jew boots
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 01:21 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 11:21 PM #53 of 135
I know about the 10th Anniversary collection but I see that going at over $150 USD some, so probably not. So what I'm hearing is that (correct me if I'm wrong)

THIN PAK Platinum =/= Individual released volumes of Platinum?

Basically what I want is something better than the original 1996 release of the series, since I got that and promptly returned it, sup Bigblah, remember that? GOOD DEAL SIR!

LOL.

I saw the Platinum Thin Pak for about $85 CDN from DDD, and I'm quite inclined on getting that. I'm not much of an extras kinda person. What sort of extras are missing in the thin pak version?

I was speaking idiomatically.

- What we all do best -
JasonTerminator
Sup staypuft.

Member 1276

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 01:32 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2006, 11:32 PM #54 of 135
Yeah, that's the set.

The release will be right around DDD's 20% off sale, so it could be worth it at that price. (Although, the only reason I'm thinking about it is that I'm a sucker for extras, and that set will have them all, as opposed to the Platinum thinpack's lacking of them).

EDIT: The thinpak version of Eva Platinum has all the episodes (26 regular, plus 4 "director's cut"), with remastered picture and 5.1 DD Jap. sound. That's it, no extras at all.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 09:23 AM #55 of 135
Someone tell me exactly what this Platinum release is about. I've see it in stores, looked at it and put it back; I already have the original boxed set - do I really need this new stuff?

FELIPE NO
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 09:28 AM #56 of 135
I probably need it too. It'd be better if they released the platinum set with both movies (i never saw or purchased them yet after all these years..^^; ).

How ya doing, buddy?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 09:39 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 05:39 PM #57 of 135
Originally Posted by LeHah
Someone tell me exactly what this Platinum release is about. I've see it in stores, looked at it and put it back; I already have the original boxed set - do I really need this new stuff?
As far as I understand, the Platinum release was cleaning up and remastering the whole series so it looks a whole lot better and with improved audio. The main draw for many were the "director's cut" episodes, which added a few more scenes into some of the episodes.

If you already have the original collection like me, I don't think it's really that crucial, but for someone getting the series for the first time, it's a good starting point.

Most amazing jew boots

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 09:49 AM #58 of 135
Originally Posted by Qwarky
As far as I understand, the Platinum release was cleaning up and remastering the whole series so it looks a whole lot better and with improved audio. The main draw for many were the "director's cut" episodes, which added a few more scenes into some of the episodes.
What were the additional scenes? I mean, did they add anything to the series?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
sjcrik
Neko~~

Member 857

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:44 AM #59 of 135
I'm really interested in that sound track for Re-Take, found a torrent but it didn't work. Any way to share it with us? =)

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:16 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 07:16 PM #60 of 135
Originally Posted by sjcrik
I'm really interested in that sound track for Re-Take, found a torrent but it didn't work. Any way to share it with us? =)
I used
http://www.deadfrog.us/index.php?act=entry&id=6909

If you used the same one, the comments say:

"In case you get a "no host URL" type error, manually edit the tracker announce URL to point to http://tracker.deadfrog.us:42426/announce"

(though I didn't get any error on my BitComet)

Originally Posted by LeHah
What were the additional scenes? I mean, did they add anything to the series?
All I saw were some comparisons screens of a few episodes like years ago.

There were a few extra scenes such as Asuka in a flashback, hanging out with (and making a pass on) Kaji on a boat before she arrived to Japan. I think the most crucial was showing the eye that's in Gendo's palm, and Unit-00 morphing into a giant Rei before exploding when she self-destructed. Since none of them were really explained, they didn't add that much to the actual story, but they were interesting details in the least. Certainly not worth re-buying the series, though.

I tried to find the website with the extra scenes listed, but I think it's been taken down by now.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Sep 9, 2006 at 11:20 AM.
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:19 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 12:19 AM #61 of 135
I used
http://www.deadfrog.us/index.php?act=entry&id=6909

If you used the same one, the comments say:

"In case you get a "no host URL" type error, manually edit the tracker announce URL to point to http://tracker.deadfrog.us:42426/announce"

(though I didn't get any error on my BitComet)
I used utorrent, and it says invalid URL for the tracker. Even though it looks like it's not working, it'll still download just fine.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 01:40 PM #62 of 135
I'll upload the soundtrack for you. Should be ready around half and hour or so.

EDIT: On second thought, more like 260 minutes. :/

Last edited by Soldier; Sep 9, 2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 01:42 PM #63 of 135
Yeah, it's dead for me too. I'll just wait for SOLDIER. Thanks. =)

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 02:02 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 10:02 PM #64 of 135
Did anyone actually attempt to change the tracker announce URL like it tells you to? =/

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 02:24 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 01:24 PM #65 of 135
Did anyone actually attempt to change the tracker announce URL like it tells you to? =/
I did, and it worked just fine =[

How ya doing, buddy?
Old Sep 9, 2006, 02:44 PM #66 of 135
No, I r dumb. c:

Double Post:
lol i'm connected now

also music on deadfrog's website is awesome

Last edited by FatsDomino; Sep 9, 2006 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

sjcrik
Neko~~

Member 857

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 02:48 PM #67 of 135
ya i got the torrent working after changing the tracker announce url and it's almost finished =p

Old Sep 9, 2006, 02:48 PM #68 of 135
http://music.deadfrog.us/ymck.swf =)))

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 03:27 PM #69 of 135
Well, I'll still have the rapidshare link ready when it finishes, although it's taking a bit longer than I thought (30% right now). I even stopped my torrent for Ace Combat 5 to free up bandwith.

The soundtrack itself is decent enough, but it didn't have that Evangelion feel to it. Sure, it's stupid of me to expect a sweeping orchestra from a fan-made soundtrack, but it definetley could've used more romantic piano songs and the such.

Because when you get down to it, the whole Re-Take series is a romance doujin, and quite a fantastic one at that. Even for a fan-made work, this feels like an accurate portrayal of how things would have gone for Shinji and Asuka if he expressed his feelings before things got really bad in the series. The series wanted to focus on the kids' personal conflicts by the later half, but I always felt it would've been more effective to show what would happen if those young fools fell in love (you want controversy? try underage pregnancy).

I read the finale last night, and honestly, I came quite close to crying. The one part that really got to me was
Spoiler:
the scene where an older Shinji goes drinking with Misato, and imparts the knowledge and confidence that she once gave to him.
I thought the final part of the ending was a bit of a cop-out, even though it's something you'd expect from Evangelion. I really wish they just stuck with the previous ending scenario.

In the end, despite the pointless sex (with the exception of a couple of scenes, most of it was explicit just for the sake of it. Since when did Unit-05 have a penis to begin with?), and some hokey plot twists (a fistfight between two characters you'd never dream of; imagine that one South Park episode where the chinese singer signs up for The Contender, and you'll have the right idea), this was basically the way most fans of EVA wanted things to end; Shinji stands up to protect the people he loves, Gendoh gets his comupance, and Rei chooses her friends over her "father".

It's fanfiction, but it's also beautifully drawn, beautifully written fanfiction.

I'm with the majority who want Gainax to at least emulate some of this doujin for one of its upcoming movies. End of Evangelion did something bold with its unhappy ending and character assasination of Shinji, but I think people have been traumatized long enough, and it's about time Gainax showed the alternative.

As J. Johan Jameson once said in Ultimate Spiderman; "People want to read about a good guy and a bad guy."

Most amazing jew boots
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 03:40 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 11:40 PM #70 of 135
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
I thought the final part of the ending was a bit of a cop-out, even though it's something you'd expect from Evangelion. I really wish they just stuck with the previous ending scenario.
The ending had me confused quite a bit at first (especially the two "fake" endings), but then I remembered the whole deal with bandage Asuka and it made more sense.

Spoiler:
One thing I was confused about was the little girl at the end. For some reason I first wondered if it was the young Misato, having just survived Second Impact, but probably not. Either she's just a random survivor that the artist wanted to find the two kids, rather than just show them, or she has some other significance I'm not getting.

It doesn't really make that much sense for her to be there in the first place, if this is the Eva ending universe, though =/

Anyway, I didn't feel it was a copout at all. It's what it all came down to in the end, after all - (bandage) Asuka forgiving Shinji, and the two learning to let each other close again, as shown in the very last panel (and my current sig, usk lace).

I thought it was very sweeping, Shinji wanting his own happiness all his life, and then willing to give it up for Asuka (though that was his happiness in the first place). In effect, Re-Take was in the end about redoing the End of Evangelion for a slightly nicer Shinji + Asuka ending.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Sep 9, 2006 at 03:53 PM.
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 03:59 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 02:59 PM #71 of 135
I still think that

Spoiler:
The little girl is their child that somehow managed to defy the laws of reality (hay this is Eva) and appear there >=0

Although it is more likely that it is just some random survivor that managed to stumble upon them, but a guy can dream =|~

Q stole my comment about the ending, much like how he stole my sig (USK Q)

Most amazing jew boots
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 04:30 PM #72 of 135
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
this was basically the way most fans of EVA wanted things to end
I disagree so adamently, I don't think I can find the right words to make a defense. I realize I'm in the minority but I've always found the original ending for EVA to be amongst the most satisfying of anything I've ever seen in television or film. As much as I liked "End Of EVA", it felt like a cheap retread of what is ultimately the greatest creative gift a writer could ever give his story - the ability to give it a three-dimensional ending by allowing the characters an evolution to free will - a level of expanding beyond the capacity of the writer. Almost as if he's playing up his ability to create beyond his reach. (Was it Calvin or Hobbes ((not the cartoon)) that told us that "God created Man and then left"? Theres something in EVA that is very similar to that idea.)

Friedrich Nietzsche would have a fucking field day with the basic transcendant idea that the original idea attempts to grip. The whole story of EVA has faint allusions to Thus Spoke Zarathustra, in that it destroys various minor Christian symbolism and then asks it's chief character to evolve past normal sensibilities that are normally moral standards put in place by our complex guilt/God issues which are generally the single foundation of Catholicism.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Sep 9, 2006 at 04:34 PM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 04:38 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 12:38 AM #73 of 135
I too was very satisfied with the TV ending, and actually preferred it over EoE.

That doesn't mean I mind seeing these alternative universe things like Girlfriend of Steel 2 and Ikari Shinji Raising Project. To say it's what all/most Eva fans wanted is a bit exaggerating, and most of the people who hated both the ending(s) as well as Shinji and thought he was nothing but a spineless piece of turd, weren't really fans of the series in the first place.

It does seem though a lot of people who liked the series (and a lot who didn't) felt confused or disappointed because of a lack of an ending that tells you what to think. Many of the more open endings seem to suffer from this.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Sep 9, 2006 at 04:44 PM.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 04:52 PM #74 of 135
It does seem though a lot of people who liked the series (and a lot who didn't) felt confused or disappointed because of a lack of an ending that tells you what to think. Many of the more open endings seem to suffer from this.
To quote one of my favorite authors: "Tell people they're thinking, and they'll love you. Try and make them think and they'll hate you."

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 05:36 PM #75 of 135
Here's the Re-Take Soundtrack.

http://rapidshare.de/files/32553901/...track.rar.html

Originally Posted by Lacerta
Spoiler:
The little girl is their child that somehow managed to defy the laws of reality (hay this is Eva) and appear there >=0

Although it is more likely that it is just some random survivor that managed to stumble upon them, but a guy can dream =|~
I considered that too, but...

Spoiler:
the problem is it doesn't resemble their child at all. For one thing, it looked like their baby was a boy, and it also liked looked like the hair was light and curly.

The other problem is that the child shown in the ending is years older than the baby, so it doesn't make much since why he/she would appear that way.

My guess is that's either the first reborn human (I believe EoE mentioned that humanity would be reborn, possibly all on its own without Shinji and Asuka playing the Adam and Eve role), or it's Wrath from Fullmetal Alchemist. >>

Spoiler:
I thought it was very sweeping, Shinji wanting his own happiness all his life, and then willing to give it up for Asuka (though that was his happiness in the first place). In effect, Re-Take was in the end about redoing the End of Evangelion for a slightly nicer Shinji + Asuka ending.
I aggree, but the first ending was so well done and moving, it felt depressing to return to the previous scenario (even if it's the "real" one).

To say it's what all/most Eva fans wanted is a bit exaggerating, and most of the people who hated both the ending(s) as well as Shinji and thought he was nothing but a spineless piece of turd, weren't really fans of the series in the first place.

For a large majority of the series, I adored Shinji. I found him to be a fascinating character with real-world conflicts and needs, and I saw quite a bit of myself in him (and I'm sure most young teens did the same).

But by the End of Eva, I damn near hated him. The whole movie in general sent a negative message with Shinji by making him worse off at the end of the movie than he was at the beginning of the series. He literally threw away all the people who cared about him and helped him to grow as a person, and all for no real reason other than he was "vewy vewy sad".

Personally, I hate abrupt endings. I hated it in FFVII and I hated it here. There is a way to create a sense of ambiguity and make you think without making it look like the director yelled "CUT!" before the movie was over (in fact, it's rumored that Anno basically created the End as nothing more but a big "fuck you" to the legions of fans that pressured him to end the story).

Look at Lord of the Rings. The final story had about 5 endings, but it still left enough material for viewers to go back and draw their own conclusions. Endings like that will always be my preference, as it captures both a sense of closure as well as some ambiguity tossed in for further analysis. Endings like EVA and FFVII are just an excuse to get the fanfiction writers to come up with a scenario the original writers themselves couldn't think up. Seeing the scene I mentioned in my previous entry with Misato and Shinji had just as much weight and emotional response as anything from the End of Eva, except it also felt like a more natural, desirable ending. It doesn't HAVE to be weird or sad to be considered "deep", you know.

Shinji suffered plenty enough in the course of the series. It wouldn't have hurt to give him a semi-happy ending (which you could argue was the case with Asuka's supposed resurrection, but they didn't exactly get off to a good start).

Last edited by Soldier; Sep 9, 2006 at 07:30 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] New Evangelion Movies!