Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Manga] Victorian Romance Emma (Season 2 Episode 9 is out!)

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 26, 2006, 09:00 PM Local time: Aug 27, 2006, 05:00 AM 1 #1 of 32
Victorian Romance Emma (Season 2 Episode 9 is out!)

Victorian Romance Emma
英國戀物語エマ - Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma

Set in late 19th century London, Kaoru Mori's Victorian Romance Emma is the tale of a maid and a member of the gentry who fall in love with each other.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emma, our heroine of the story, is a live-in maid who one day meets young William Jones

while William is visiting Kelly Stowner, his former governess and Emma's mistress.

Emma and William slowly start to develop feelings for each other, but of course, not everything will always work out the way you want, and society and class differences end up getting in the way. An engaging romance drama is set.

Other notable characters on the story (without giving too much away) are Eleanor Campbell, the young daughter of a viscount who falls in love with William,

William's friend, Indian prince Hakim Atawari

and among William's many family members, little Colin, his youngest brother

There is a very large group of terrific and well-written characters, including William's entire family, but introducing them here would spoil quite a few surprises and twists.

All in all, Emma is an extremely character and character-development driven story and fortunately the cast is marvelous.

The manga:

Meticulously researched and illustrated, the Victorian Romance Emma manga ran in Enterbrain's Monthly Comic Beam magazine from August 2002 till April 2006, when it finally ended at 52 chapters.

In 2005, the manga was awarded the Excellence Prize at the Japan Media Arts Festival.

IIChan Translation Group scanlated the series, taking great care with retouching and translation, until the comic was eventually licensed by CMX and the group felt necessary to drop the project at 49 chapters. The last three chapters were later scanlated guerilla-style and all 52 chapters are still relatively available from #lurk.

CMX are publishing the first volume on the 20th of September October 4th (;_ and from what I've seen in previews, the work is very good and I personally can't wait to purchase their release (or printed Emma in general).

The anime:

Airing in April 2005 for the first time, Studio Pierrot's anime version of Emma was a faithful adaptation of the manga, with splendid attention to detail and a wonderful, calm atmosphere made even more engaging by Ryou Kunihiko's beautiful musical score.

The animation was good, the character designs close to the originals, yet slightly different enough to have their own "anime" look and the voice cast was absolutely perfect.

Once more, IIChan Translation Group subtitled the anime version as well, and since the anime has not been licensed, all 12 episodes are still available for download on their tracker:
http://torak.no-ip.info/tracker/torrents/

Originally slated for over 30 episodes (the manga was still running at the time), the show turned out to be more expensive to make for the animation studio than anyone'd expected, and tragically the anime was forced to end after only 12 episodes, right where the second volume of the manga ends, giving the series a rather bittersweet and unhappy ending, all things considered.

Now that the manga has finally ended at chapter 52, (and possibly the DVD sales were good) Emma's website has just recently been updated with news of a second season in the making, much to fans' delight.

EDIT:
Victorian Romance Emma is apparently set for Spring 2007.
A recap episode for the events of Season 1 has aired and iichan is working on subtitling it. Translation and timing done, waiting for encoder to wake up.
Episode 01 of Second Act has aired and whispers is working on it. A raw of the episode is available here.

Right Stuf has licensed both seasons of the anime and is going to release them in two boxsets with japanese audio and english subtitles.

The side-stories:

As well as at least two Emma novels out by now, Kaoru Mori has begun a new Emma manga, Emma Bangaihen (Emma - Further Stories), said to focus on its many supporting characters in various short stories. The first chapter has already been translated by IIChan (the new series has not been licensed) and shows us a brief glimpse of Kelly's past.

Note:
These stories are recommended only for people who've finished reading the manga (and why shouldn't you?) as they are "further" stories and not something to start with.

My thoughts:

It's a series with a lot of maids in it, but it's very much free of fanservice and juvenile humor. Emma is a mature, funny, warm and utterly charming love story with wit, beauty and plenty of character development and engaging romantic drama.

While I personally prefer the manga slightly over the anime, you really can't go wrong with either one.
Start with the first season of the anime, get accustomed to the characters' voices and music, then start over with the manga and read all the way till the wonderful ending, while listening to the anime series' soundtrack. Then once the second season for the anime finally airs, watch it all again animated for the full experience! =D

Links:
C o u n t e s s  S a l o o n - Kaoru Mori's website
Victorian Romance Emma - Official website for the anime
Emma Volume 1 - first volume of the manga on CMX's website. Released. Preview pdf available
Emma Volume 2 - second volume of the manga on CMX's website. Estimated for release on December 13th.
Emma Volume 3 - third volume of the manga on CMX's website. Estimated for release on March 14, 2007.

Emma season DVD boxsets on Right Stuf

IIChan Translation Group - website of the group responsible for most of the Emma translations and releases
Whispers LJ - a LiveJournal covering the process and status of Emma releases

Manga:
http://gotlurk.net/ - The best place for Emma scanlations. Go to #lurk @ irchighway and download the Emma volumes from Mirrors

Spoiler:

Type or copy-paste the following lines on the channel:

/msg Mirrors xdcc send #2262
/msg Mirrors xdcc send #2263
/msg Mirrors xdcc send #2264
/msg Mirrors xdcc send #2265
/msg Mirrors xdcc send #2266
/msg Mirrors xdcc send #2267
/msg Mirrors xdcc send #2268

And you will be sent all seven volumes by Mirrors, one by one for each line.

I'll see if I can get some kind of rapidshare for the volumes for people who can't use IRC.

Emma Bangaihen Chapter 1 - first chapter of Emma - Further Tales. Read only after finishing the original manga
Emma Bangaihen Chapter 2
Emma Bangaihen Chapter 3
Emma Bangaihen Chapter 4
Emma Bangaihen Chapter 5
Emma Bangaihen Chapter 6
Emma Bangaihen Chapter 7
Emma Bangaihen Chapter 8 - NEW

Victorian Romance Emma Original Soundtrack - Boxtorrents link for Nipponsei's release of the beautiful soundtrack

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jul 17, 2007 at 12:17 PM.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2006, 09:46 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2006, 07:46 PM #2 of 32
God damn it Q ;____;

Holy shit, now this is a header post well done. Mr Q, basically most, if not all of your anime recommendations so far have been very good, if not splendid. Interestingly I learned about Haibane Renmei from your GFwiki entry while I was banninated, and loved it. With that in mind, Emma should be a great series to settle me down a bit. Perhaps after this to keep it on the "character development" side of anime things, I'll return to ARIA the Natural ^__^. Now, since you have said so, I will have to add Emma onto my anime list ;___; (along with getting Planetes, because Bigblah said so...or I face his wrath or something along those lines)

::Will watch Emma 01 tonight, to hell with only watching only one series straight through.::

There's nowhere I can't reach.

- What we all do best -
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:10 PM #3 of 32
That's long. I barely read it, but I decided to grab all of the manga. Will Season 2 of the anime finish of the rest of the manga?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:20 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2006, 08:20 PM #4 of 32
Wait... what??? A maid series without any fanservice??? Sign me up!

Seriously, Qwarky's comments about the series is dead on and it's one of my favorite series. The people who wrote it did a lot of research into life in Victorian England even including minute details such as ironing the newspapers every morning and using ash to help with the sweeping.

The characters are also very nicely developed from William Jounes to his friend Hakim. I think the biggest draw to this series is how characters seem to be portrayed like real human beings; people that you or I could meet and talk to on the street. There aren't any characters that I would pin any anime cliche labels upon. Relationships in the series actually seem to progress similar to how real life situations unfold. The realism evident in VRE only serves to strengthen it and complement the historical background. Pacing was also well done and after while, you do begin to feel sorry for them. The only downside was where the anime decided to leave off. Hopefully the next season will be just as good as the first.

The soundtrack, done by Kunihiko is extremely superb as anyone listening to the OP and ED (played by a recorder orchestra no less) can attest to. It remains one of my favorite OSTs.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:31 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2006, 09:31 PM #5 of 32
This is definitely one of the better series out there, and I can't wait for season 2. I just randomly downloaded the first season one day, despite the fact that it looked like something I would never be interested in. In fact, after I randomly downloaded it, I just burned it to disc (something I hardly ever do for fansubbed shows) and let it sit there for some months.

Then earlier this year, I just decided to watch it one day, and I loved it! It was just a great change of pace from the typical anime fare. I wound up finishing it in like a week, and I was actually a little sad when it finished. That's why I'm so glad there's gonna be season 2.

And I'm also gonna be checking out the manga as well. I've already downloaded it, so I'll try to read it sometime soon. I'm usually not even a fan of manga, but with the anime being so good I can't imagine the manga being anything short of amazing.

I was speaking idiomatically.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 04:49 AM Local time: Aug 27, 2006, 12:49 PM #6 of 32
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
That's long. I barely read it, but I decided to grab all of the manga. Will Season 2 of the anime finish of the rest of the manga?
I'm not sure, since I've no info on how long they plan to make it this time around. Since the first series covered the first two volumes, if you apply standard logic, you could count 6 episodes per manga volume, so if season 2 is 30 episodes long this time around, it would cover the rest of the remaining manga.

However, I'm guessing Pierrot is not about to cut corners in quality and research, so the series might not be quite that long unless Emma's DVD sales were far better than everyone expected. If it's 26 episodes or even shorter, they might need to shorten some of the manga storyline and possible leave out one or two of the later characters.

It's also possible they'll do another 12 ep season or something, only covering a few volumes. All we can do is wait for more news to surface (unless someone who can translate that second season announcement finds out something more concrete in it)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 05:03 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 01:03 AM #7 of 32
Well shoot, just noticed CMX's release of Volume 1 has been delayed till October 4th. One more month to wait ._.

Hopefully this means a better quality release and nothing something bad.

FELIPE NO

Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:57 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 01:57 PM #8 of 32
This is clearly one of the best romance manga ever created. Everything was very touching and detailed and it really drew you into the story; almost to the point where you could imagine yourself standing in London right next to William or Emma.

The great realism made me get really attached to the characters, which is always a good thing, and I couldn't just read a chapter or two and stop. Thus I ended up reading the entire thing in about 3 hours. D: It's okay though because this series (to me anyway) is something that I can and would read over and over again just because it's that engrossing.

I do hope CMX does a great job with their translation and releases and doesn't muck anything up (lol watch me jinx it now); I suppose we will see come October.

I will check out the anime and the soundtrack as well, as I'm sure they are equally as great.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 05:53 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2006, 01:53 AM #9 of 32
Nyehehe, glad you enjoyed it ^^

From the previews I've read on CMX's own site and the one scanned and posted on iichan's image board, I expect good things.

In general, after the TenTen fiasco, CMX has straightened out quite a bit, and their shojo adaptations are handled by a different team anyway.

However, there is the matter we wondered about. There's virtually no fanservice in the manga, but the later volumes DO feature two or was that three scenes of nudity. Hopefully CMX is aware of this and won't slap too low a rating on the title, forcing them to then take action when the scenes in question come up.

I couldn't find a definite rating for the first volume yet, but from what I read about their panel at this year's SDCC, it'll probably be rated teen+ (is that older teens? 15+? 13+?). Hopefully that rating will tolerate a few scenes of non-sexualized full frontal nudity.

All in all, the article on the panel did seem like CMX intends to get its act together for good and not mess around with series content.

http://www.animeondvd.com/blog/?p=136

Originally Posted by AOD Article
A year ago, CMX held an infamous panel that will possibly go down in manga history. Today, only one member from that panel returned and he was doing the powerpoint presentation only.

The faces have completely turned over. Actually most of the new team was assembled a month after SDCC 2005. Their is a new attitude, a new look and it is definitely visable in their manga. CMX launched with one of the more diverse libraries back late 2004. They had classics, hits and TenTen… TenTen changed everything and in 2005 they went conservative announcing a heavy diet of shojo with a gem here and there (Chikyu Misaki and Cipher). 2006 saw them go back to their roots. With Asako Suzuki on board and the new library consisting of her favorites (hmmm sounds like what Dallas did at Del Rey), things are looking up.

If there is anything about CMX its whether anyone will be around to read what they are bringing. These titles are not A-list (well Orfina is in Japan). CMX is still reeling from TenTen and many of their franchise titles are either winding down or done. Now is the time for them to remake themselves. With the launch of Emma and a promise that they will not be censoring titles CMX looks to be ready.

[...]

I will say that most of the crowd was there for Fred Gallagher of MegaTokyo fame, but the licensed title fans definitely were aware that CMX is no longer run by a computer. Also, while most people had not heard of the titles announced (especially since the crowd had a younger feel to it and these are either older titles or shonen titles) but did not lower the mood much.

A couple news items. If you are wondering why CMX is not planning on reprinting earlier volumes of TenTen. Well, licensing time constraints is currently a problem. Licenses need to be updated and are often done in chunks, so right now with TenTen having lost such a large chunk of readers early on they cannot risk going back. However, if things pick up in the future with the T+ rating they will reconsider it.

Emma will be rated teen+. And they are looking into the spin-off titles.

[...]

I'm hoping the recent delay of Volume 1 means they're not half-assing around with the release and are spending more time with translation and retouch instead of badly judged localization or ye gads, content altering D:

Kaoru Mori interview on ANN (albeit brief).

Also as a bonus. I'd been looking for these - Mori's old omake comics from her web-diary - for ages and finally found them on iichan's imageboard.
Hilarious stuff

Spoiler:

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jan 25, 2007 at 09:58 AM.
Dreamspell
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 17195

Level 1.21

Dec 2006

Old Dec 20, 2006, 06:45 AM Local time: Dec 20, 2006, 07:45 PM #10 of 32
Anyone willing to help?

Hi, everyone. I'm new here. I just finished watching the anime of Emma. Couldnt stop crying coz the ending is so sad... Anyway, I was so desperate trying to find out whether theres any continuation to the series and apparently there is. Unfortunately, I can't go into mIRC... Anyone willing to upload the manga or send it to me? Plz, I can't wait till the 2nd season of the anime is released....

PS: Is the manga ending good? If not I'd rather skip reading it rather than crying all over again

Double Post:
Pls ignore my previous message. Manage to find all the chapters in stoptazmo. Hehe, thx anyway

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Dreamspell; Dec 20, 2006 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 01:17 AM Local time: Dec 29, 2006, 01:17 AM #11 of 32
I just binge read all 52 chapters and what is up for Further Tales. Very good manga indeed. I really like how this shoujo manga differs from most other shoujos I've read in that it is more mature (and less "Whee like omygod!" type). I'm a sucker for period settings, and then I'm a sucker for "impossible" romances. There were moments where I felt like it was hopeless, and there were a lot of painful and bittersweet flashbacks.

The only negative I can pick out is that sometimes I confuse some characters with others because the mangaka draws all faces exactly the same.

Questions I have
Spoiler:
Who is Grace engaged to? Is it that guy from their trip? Also, regarding Monica and her relationship with her spouse, does it seem like she had a fling with Hakim? Was she in India with him? If that is so, she is a hypocrite for denouncing her father's affairs when she's having them on her own.

To sum up, a big thumbs up from me!

How ya doing, buddy?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:21 AM Local time: Dec 29, 2006, 01:21 PM #12 of 32
Questions I have
Spoiler:
Who is Grace engaged to? Is it that guy from their trip? Also, regarding Monica and her relationship with her spouse, does it seem like she had a fling with Hakim? Was she in India with him? If that is so, she is a hypocrite for denouncing her father's affairs when she's having them on her own.
Spoiler:
That's weird, I always thought she simply went to India and took a liking for the culture in her bid to stand apart. I didn't even once think she'd even met Hakim there. He just seemed to me like he wouldn't have paid much attention to Monica (or anyone else) to begin with

I suppose I should also mention I bought the first CMX graphic novel a while back and from what I saw everything looked very nice.

They kept all the epilogue pages and omake from each volume, cover is really nice (the picture, plus the lovely coarse surface) and it was obvious they put a lot of effort into the release.

What little I read the dialogue seemed a tad.. more blunt than what I'm used to with Whispers' translation, but there was no sign of crappy localization or overdone ye olde brit or roight ol' cockney accents, which was very pleasant. Can't wait for Volume 2 ._.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 09:36 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 05:36 PM #13 of 32
[16:06:24] <Q-chan> OMFG blah

The official website has been updated with a whole bunch of news. Victorian Romance Emma Second Act (英國戀物語エマ 第二幕 SECOND ACT) is now set to start spring 2007. Animax is re-airing all the first season episodes this month.

As for the second season, as far as I can tell, the staff is the same, while animation production has moved to Asia-Do, that recently made the Genshiken OVA. I'm a little confused about all this, at least regarding what's Pierrot's role in all this now. The second season is still listed on their site in a recent update, so.. um.. they have staff doing stuff, while production itself is in Asia-Do's name?

Maybe someone like blah can explain the whole role of animation production studio and animation studio if animation staff is still the same.

Either way while the character designers are listed the same, the official site's front page images hint at a slightly different style. The picture sure gives a different idea of what's to come than what came in the manga, making me wonder if there might even be new directions with the story =o Hopefully any liberations they make will prove good choises. Either way I can't wait to see what they'll do with the second seasons. Hopefully moar DRAMA.

I'm also listening to the Emma Net Radio, not understanding a word they're saying. Sounds like it's two maids Francis and Mary talking about the series, characters and probably facts about the era, but I could be way off on who they are supposed to be.

EDIT:
Alright, so I learn new things by listening. They really are two maids, Francis and Mary, they are two characters that feature in the anime and serve in the Jones household. They introduced themselves in one episode so I learned the actors' names (Yukiko Tagami and Aya Endo) and then Vivi turns up later on to yell at them for slacking off, so I realized they're in the Jones household. A quick glance at the voice actresses on ANN confirmed they really are characters in the story. Hopefully more characters make cameos later on =D

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jan 25, 2007 at 12:01 PM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:05 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2007, 01:05 AM #14 of 32
So I'll just continue this posting streak here.

VICTORIAN ROMANCE EMMA SECOND ACT BEGINS AIRING 16/4/07

Hopefully iichan will set to work on translation soon after.
There's a 2 minute promo video for the second season on the official website and iichan has in turn translated and torrented it on their tracker.

Spoiler:

I'm really liking how they've handled the new characters, especially Dorothea looks just as majestic as in the manga. It will be interesting to see if the site's image of Hanz holding Emma is really any indication of things to come and just how much the anime will differ from the manga.

The "Now... on to the shocking conclusion." at the end of the promo would hint that the new season brings the entire story to an end, but how they plan on fitting five volumes' worth of story into a single season is anyone's guess. I just hope they don't cut corners too much.

Either way, I'm excited! Can't wait! I'm already prepared to declare Emma Second Barrage the best series of the this season~

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 13, 2007, 03:52 AM Local time: Apr 13, 2007, 11:52 AM #15 of 32
And the posting MAX CHAIN continues as this thread is consistently ignored by everyone ;_;

EXCITING! An Episode 00 for Emma Second Assault has aired and while it's mostly a recap for the events in Season 1, it does contain new scenes and narration.

Whispers has announced they've begun work on it, so hopefully a subtitled release will be out soon.

First post edited more up to date on Emma Bangaihen chapters and the status of season 2.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Apr 13, 2007 at 04:03 AM.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Apr 13, 2007, 07:32 AM #16 of 32
Thanks for the update Q. I was just recently recalling you excitedly talking about the second season on IRC some time ago, and was starting to wonder what happened to this bountiful source of elation for you.

(C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER)

How ya doing, buddy?

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:44 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2007, 03:44 PM #17 of 32
Whispers is attempting keeping a livejournal on the progress of translation. Probably to keep people up to date and to give some idea as to how much work it all is.

http://whispers-iitran.livejournal.com/

For now it's for Episode 00, they're not sure if they'll do the same with future episodes

Besides useful progress reports, of particular interest is a small clip Whispers uploaded initially for asking for advice on translating a few tricky cases of terminology, but it also functions are a lovely sneak preview of what's to come, animation quality, etc.

A fencing scene between Arthur and Hakim, with Vivi watching from the side. Awesome <3

http://astrange.ithinksw.net/emma-f.avi

I also only now realized the VA for Arthur played Winner-kun in Karin. I'll never look at him the same again

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Apr 15, 2007 at 07:46 AM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 18, 2007, 05:32 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2007, 01:32 AM #18 of 32
Oh my goodness!

We're still waiting for iichan to finish Episode 00 (far as I know, whispers is done with translation and timing, and now they're waiting for their encoder to get on with it), but Styphon linked me to the raw for Episode 01 and I couldn't resist. I couldn't understand most of the dialogue, but I got the gist of what was going on and I can say it was a great episode.

Slight spoilers below. I'm not going to give too much away, but I do talk about some details someone might rather discover for themselves.

Spoiler:
Alright, so from the start, what hit me was how you are dropped in the middle of everything. Emma is already working at the Molders house, so either what happened between the ending of Season 1 and this ep will be covered in flashbacks, or Episode 00 contains a lot of story linking the two together, in which case everyone should start with that.

What next struck me was that halfway through the episode I finally realized what I had been wondering about. Why it felt so familiar yet unfamiliar.

Some little changes and pleasant surprises in detail here and there.

The voice for Hans is so spot on, I could cry. Completely excellent casting on both him and Dorothea.

Wilhelm Molders is now slightly younger than the oldish, dignified german man in the manga.

And I finally realized that Nanette was indeed a new character, which is why I felt I couldn't recognize her. The story in the first episode is largely new and not in the manga at all (or at least I can't for the life of me find it anything like it.

It didn't feel like filler at all, it fit the atmosphere, mood and setting excellently, and if this is the direction the rest of the series is taking, we're in for a treat.

This way they can finish up the story without "cutting corners" in storyline, and providing enough new stuff to keep old fans entertained as well. Let's hope the new story segments stay this good. Who knows, there might even be a new ending to provide even more closure than the manga =o

Special mention to the ending credits too. Standard views of countryside are topped by a wonderful sequence of William dancing with Eleanor, the characters then switching to Hans dancing with Emma, then William dancing with Emma in her maid gown, and then finally her in her evening dress that she wore at the ball when she was accompanying Dorothea on her trip to London.

Sooo excited! This bodes extremely well for everyone except possibly people who skipped the first season! Hopefully Vader gets the encoding for episode 00 done soon so they can move to episode 01.

I'm so relieved and pleased now. And psyched. It's a good thing I have a number of Emma Bangaihen chapters unread

EDIT:

Aaaand now whispers has announced starting work on Episode 01.

Still waiting for vader to encode Episode 00, but at least there isn't a bottle neck for translation and timing. Hopefully 00 is out by the end of this week, either way.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Apr 19, 2007 at 08:42 AM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 21, 2007, 02:36 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2007, 10:36 AM #19 of 32
Hooray!

Episode 00 is finally subbed and out!

They had some trouble with their tracker earlier apparently, but since I just woke up, I'm downloading it only now. Gotta run off to work, but I'll update with any useful info on the episode later today (assuming once more no one else posts >>).

Great thing is that since vader has now solved the encoding issues and mogura is already finished with translation for Episode 01, timing and encoding should no longer take too long. We might even get Ep 01 by Sunday! =o

EDIT:

=o!!

Great stuff. Pretty much recaps the events of season 1, told like a story by Hakim to Arthur and Vivi. It's nicely set up, with comparisons to stage plays (Vivi reading Romeo and Juliet), with Hakim's narration setting up the players ready for the second act, quite literally. The final 10 minutes pretty quickly fastforward the events at the start of Volume 3 of the manga to explain how Emma ends up as a maid in the Molders house, but in connection with the stage play theme, it works well.

The episode is also a complete win thanks to the little info lessons Arthur holds for Colin and a class of animals every now and then <3

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Apr 21, 2007 at 09:12 AM.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2007, 01:08 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2007, 12:08 PM #20 of 32
So does anything new happen in Ep 00, or is just purely a recap? I'm gonna watch it anyway (already downloading it, thanks for the link!), but I was just wondering if it was required viewing or not. Either way, the way it's setup sounds interesting, so even if it is just a recap it'll still be entertaining.

How ya doing, buddy?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 21, 2007, 01:36 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2007, 09:36 PM #21 of 32
Yeah, all the inbetween footage is new and the episode does explain/show briefly how Emma ends up in the Molders house (since at the start of Ep 01, she's already working there). If one hasn't read the manga, the ep is essential.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Apr 21, 2007 at 01:38 PM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 25, 2007, 01:54 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2007, 09:54 PM #22 of 32
Episode 01 has been released.

Trouble is, their tracker can't seem to handle the obviously massive surge of Emma fans, so it's having trouble connecting to seeds, have patience.

Anyway, a wonderful episode and I'm surprised how much I got right from watching the raw. There were a few details I naturally missed and Emma being Emma, details make a world of difference. Either way, great stuff.

Pics plus comments, SPOILERS:

As I suspected, they do narrate what happened between this episode and the end of first season, but only slightly. The details involved are still in ep 00 and the rest is surprisingly explained during the story of ep 01, so they interestingly place this new story as a part of her "arrival", even though it originally looked like she'd already settled in.

The viscount is also slightly younger, but still nice and mean looking. He will be an absolutely despicable sob, if the manga is anything to go by.

Hans is still awesome and his voice is absolutely perfect.

New drama is goood

And finally why her arrival wasn't explained that much further.

And now even blah has a compelling reason to continue watching~

How ya doing, buddy?

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 07:01 PM Local time: May 13, 2007, 03:01 AM #23 of 32
Episode 02 has finally been released.

What can I say, the animation studio has made a brave choice with these new stories and so far it's working excellently. They take some aspects from the manga's main plot here and there, a small story from Bangaihen and mix them with new setpieces to create an entirely new storyline that's engaging to follow even for a manga veteran as you really don't know what will happen next, since you haven't already read it.

I can't wait for the next episode, the preview shows good things to come.

Oh and the new ending theme was a big surprise =o

FELIPE NO

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 10:44 PM Local time: May 12, 2007, 09:44 PM #24 of 32
Just got through watching episodes 01 and 02, and I have to say that I'm just as enthralled with the show now as I was last season. Everything about it is still great, and I love all the new stuff they've introduced as well. I can't wait to see how the story pans out!

Even though I downloaded it, I never read the manga, partly because I didn't want to spoil myself if there ever was a second season. But since you say the show is taking a different direction, I may give it a read one of these days.

Oh, and Colin <3

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 11:21 AM Local time: May 17, 2007, 07:21 PM #25 of 32
[16:54:23] * You were kicked by Lord_Styphon (kicked for 3)
[16:54:23] * Attempting to rejoin channel #animespot

My anime news subscription works wonders again, so I'm pleased to announce IIchan has released Episode 3, rejoice!

A good episode, though perhaps not quite as entertaining as usual. Mostly because it focused on William becoming more and more of a jerk

Hakim and Vivi appearing in a play made up for much and we did get to see Aurelia, so that was great. The next episode also has Eleanor's sister making her first appearance, so good things to come.

moar caps:

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Manga] Victorian Romance Emma (Season 2 Episode 9 is out!)