Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

"Well, That Ruined It" Experiences in Anime

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:11 PM Local time: Oct 5, 2007, 09:11 PM #76 of 99
Meh much Anime disappointments, although I'm remixing a lot of what's already been said in this post

FMA
Spoiler:
Awesome cliffhangers apart from the occasional emo episode once I was hooked I never lost interest making it one of my favorite Animes of all time... then Al and Ed get stuck in the real world during the world wars lolz... playing to the fan girls boy on boy action love much? -_-

Excel Saga
Spoiler:
The show I have in my ava/sig currently what can I say except OMG... I've never seen such an insain show with Anime and film pop culture references before. The only problem is it's so insain I can count the episodes worth seeing near enough on one hand (personal favorite being the alien ripoff episode) it got too damn weird and on top of that had a cyborg scientist with a little girl fetish as a regular character... WTF JAPAN WTF!

Dragonball Z
Spoiler:
They fucking pioneered the over the top power up sequence that can't be debated, but lesson learned this is why Animes should wait until the Manga is finished before going into production if all they can think of as padding is:

"RAAAAAAAAH!"

"wow he's really strong"

"RAAAAAAAAH!"

"wow he's really strong"

REPEAT ENDLESSLY! That and everything after the cell saga seemed like fanboy pleasing extra padding to me

Tenchi Muyo
Spoiler:
Same reasons as previously mentioned, this show pretty much pioneered the whole "guy in a house full of girls" thing in my opinion... It's a lol concept to begin with but I would go as far to say scripts for these kind of shows read like they were written by sad very lonely Otakus and once that vibe kicks in... it kinda ruins it imo.

Neo Genesis Evangelion
Spoiler:
I'll just add to what was already said about this the director was seeing a shrink... need I say more? Awesome until the you know what parts, I'm really looking forward to the real ending on the remake of this, without the psychotic angst and animation budget problems at the end...

Elfin Lied
Spoiler:
Cute and horror movie creepy that's without a doubt what makes this show stand out, I'm all for open endings but the ending to this resolved nothing! It was more like a cliffhanger that just made you ask more questions. Once Kota regained his painful memories, it just turned to soap opera garbage with guns; with girls with horns that conveniently look like cute cat ears... not intentional at all! Honest!

Naruto
Spoiler:
FILLERS! Like I even need to say why... this show started off great I especially loved the Zabuza saga, but then you realize later it's Dragonball Z in disguise! Only instead of powering up you have flashback reused footage... LOTS of it hell if you look hard enough you can even find flashbacks inside flashbacks that's not even an exaggeration trust me... someone needs to make a bullshit free edit of this show badly.

[/rant]

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by S_K; Oct 5, 2007 at 04:37 PM.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:24 PM #77 of 99
Probably the worst for me so far had to be the end of Naruto (the last real episode, not counting fillers).

Spoiler:
The point at which the Akatsuki members are talking about all the Jinchuriki and their master plan, and their last line is made me groan and shout out "GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!"

How ya doing, buddy?

FGSFDS!!!
Elegy
Sea King!

Member 7052

Level 11.50

May 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:43 AM #78 of 99
I vote the ending of Zero no Tsuikaima Season 2.

Spoiler:
Epic Saito fight, sacrifices himself and BAM, ruins his moment of glory by getting rescued by a fairy with a big chest, causing Louise to just go blow him up as usual. Wow, Louise NEVER CHANGES! The bitch...
SERIOUSLY. I get so tired of those types of characters. I wish writers would learn what character development is. Comedy is great and all, but doing the same joke over and over again and throwing what little development characters do have with one another out the window for some crappy joke really pisses me off. That's why I stopped watching that show in any case. I also get tired of all the retarded fanservice, but that's something all together. =P

*ahem* Anyway, these are all the few I can recall about anime in particular:

FMA
Spoiler:
Of course, Hughes. The show got on my nerves at times, but there was a lot of stuff I really did enjoy about it. However, killing Hughes off was the final straw for me.

Rurouni Kension OVAs:
Spoiler:
I absolutely adore the manga, so naturally when I heard about how zomg awesome the OVAs were, I was really excited to see them. I started T&B first and it seemed alright at the beginning, but it turned into an awful melodrama that stripped away any semblance to the manga. It's like they took the same characters and made it a terrible soap opera. I didn't think anything could be worse until I took a look at Reflections. >>;

Escaflowne:
Spoiler:
Turning Dilandau into Allen's long lost sister was one of the worst "twists" I've ever seen in an anime. Hitomi is also one annoying bitch and I wish I could choke her.

There should be a topic for manga as well! Poor manga never gets any attention. =(

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
MakoAoyama

Member 25370

Level 5.43

Oct 2007

Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:25 PM #79 of 99
Magical Teacher Negima, the whole series sort of treads water the whole way, and then BAM!
Spoiler:
Asuna just dies with no warning out of nowhere. I was told this doesn't happen in the manga, but what the hell?
Totally agree with you, dude. I loved the entire anime up until that point. I would advise reading the manga, it's really good. The anime is nearly dead on for being exactly like the manga all the way up until the last two episodes where they completely go off in left field because it was obvious they needed to end it quickly. I will tell you, (so far) that has yet to happen at all in the manga and everything just continues on like normal with that part never even mentioned at all.

Too many characters though!

FELIPE NO
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:57 PM #80 of 99
Ahahahahahahaha that ruined it for you? Dude, the entire Negima anime is terrible. The out of nowhere [lookatheabovespoiler] made it at least mildly interesting. They were doing some alright things in the beginning but the skipping of tons of crap and trying too hard to rewrite it differntly just destroyed it. They basically gave up before they even tried. Had they just followed the manga with a few additions here and there, used the true hair colors, took advantage of the 3d models and background work for the manga, and designed it to be several seasons long then Negima would still be going bi-yearly or something and it probably would be one of the best shows out there. The Negima anime besides the ending is completely saddening.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

FeMan
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 25402

Level 1.34

Oct 2007

Old Oct 12, 2007, 08:36 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2007, 05:36 PM #81 of 99
Full Metal Panic TSR
Spoiler:

Sagura suddenly undergoes a huge transformation in the last episode and wins DBZ super-saiyan style. I also think he lost some of his charm as he's starting to get use to civilian life.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
MakoAoyama

Member 25370

Level 5.43

Oct 2007

Old Oct 14, 2007, 09:57 PM #82 of 99
The could have done that with the Love Hina anime as well, Acer. It was long enough for two seasons, and that was the plan, but they lost funding for it. They finally got enough money to make the Christmas and Spring specials and Love Hina Again to finish the series. For some reason, Akamatsu's series get shit on when it comes to translating them into anime form.

Love Hina was another anime for me that got ruined. They left out every bit of plot detail and changed character personalities quite a bit. Entire sections of the manga's story get left completely out in favor of adding in that bullshit where the girls become j-pop idols and other stupid shit. The Love Hina Again OVA special was the only part of the anime I liked at all. It looked a hell of a lot better(the artwork was a lot closer to Akamatsu's) and the story follows the manga a lot closer.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:35 PM #83 of 99
MakoAoyama, I'm in complete agreement on Love Hina. There were a few additions the anime did that were nice but for the most part they left out so much and the flow of what story it had was pretty disjointed compared to the manga. Definitely not as bad as Negima! though. I'd say the anime is missing over half the manga's material and that's largely in part of changes and additions they made. I don't like the anime's style either but I'm not completely happy with Love Hina Again's either. LHA was closer to the manga's style but it felt way too rigid. I don't understand how you can talk about LHA as being closer to the manga's story. It totally sideswiped volumes worth of material with a truck and ruined the build up to the diving cross/ring scene. And then it just ends with tons of stuff left to be covered. LHA was the final "it ain't ever gonna happen the way it should" move of the anime. Not to say I didn't enjoy Love Hina and its OVAs but after reading the manga I'm just so disappointed in what it should have been.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

MakoAoyama

Member 25370

Level 5.43

Oct 2007

Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:23 PM #84 of 99
Oh, I'm not by any means suggesting that it was good, because you are right. They still left out a crap load even in Again, but I felt it was a hell of a lot better than the rest of the series for having more in common with the manga. But hell, they left the entire epilogue out! Ema didn't even show up in the anime.
A lot of it for me was the art style. Akamatsu's artwork was a big part of what made the manga so damn good for me, he's very good at what he does(that and all of Motoko's good stories, which also mostly got left out). The anime totally ruined that for me. Not to say that the artwork is bad, because it looks great...but NOT for Love Hina. LHA was the only part of the anime that was even close to his artwork.

See, with Negima, I have all of the manga so far and I've read it through twice, but I'm really starting to lose track of everything that's going on. They release each new volume with so much time between the last ones release, I forget what is going on by the time a new one comes out. I remember reading it and watching the anime and thinking they were pretty close up until the end of the anime, but I could be wrong. It has been a while since I read the past volumes. I may not be remembering it right.

Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:52 PM #85 of 99
Yeah, but I did enjoy the new characters the anime added. Kentaro, Moe, and Mai were great. I didn't mind the original stories either. I didn't like the big rewrites though.

You really ought to read the first few volumes of Negima (like to volume five or six) and then go watch the anime again. You'll see how different and disjointed everything is then. After that you'll probably agree that the ending of the Negima anime is probably the only interesting and noteworthy part of the whole show considering all the crap that came before it. It just came out of left field and with nothing left to enjoy the ending at least kept me interested since they had obviously given up on following the manga and decided to fuck trying to jig-saw puzzle their way to something coherent and just do something interesting.

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

MakoAoyama

Member 25370

Level 5.43

Oct 2007

Old Oct 15, 2007, 07:22 PM #86 of 99
I think that's what threw me off so bad on the ending was that it was completely out of nowhere. Everything was literally fine and then out of freakin' nowhere - BOOM! - and your like "What the hell? Where did that even come from?!" because it totally doesn't happen in the manga. It just really annoyed me because you could tell they just got to the end, ran out of funding or whatever and said "Okay, here's a quick fix because we can think of anything better and we don't have time."

The only one out of those 3 characters I liked was Moe. I HATED Kentaro with a passion because it didn't feel like he really had a place. He was just kinda there. And I don't remember Mai, or is that Suu's sister? I can't remember her name, but if that's Suu's sister, yeah she was alright I guess. That giant alligator was funny.

Old Oct 16, 2007, 01:17 PM #87 of 99
I forgot about Suu's sister (and brother for that matter) because she only appears a few times and I can't remember her talking much.

My bad it's not Mai but Mei. Mei is Naru's sister. She show's up in the very last chapter of the Love Hina manga and is referenced maybe twice before that. She is however in the anime for a couple episodes so she got a much bigger character role in the anime and was of course therefore way more fleshed out a character than a mere non-talking cameo in the final chapter of the manga. Akamatsu has more than made up for it in Negima as her entire character design and name are none other than for Sakura Mei. Although there lies the last name issue, she is a step-sister of Naru and we never do find out what her original last name was in Love Hina. She hinted on wanting to study abroad which matches up with the Sakura Mei character in Negima who did just that. I'd say they are one in the same.

Kentaro was obviously a gag character but he played off of Kitsune very well and gave some light on her character who was never shown or gone into detail enough in my opinion. <3 her. So yeah, that and he was for the most part a decent guy who helped out after getting over Naru. And really, the show did need another male character because Haitani and Shirai purposefully didn't show up that often as it was apart of their character to be forgotten.

And seriously, go read the first five or six volumes of Negima again, watch Negima, and then see how badly they went when they were sticking vaguely to the source material. You'll see that they really couldn't save the show so the original-to-the-show, out-of-nowhere ending was probably the best thing they scrounged up after all the crap minus the Kazumi/Sayo episode which was excellent. The rest of the show was a disaster and the ending while intentionally not faithful to the source was the only interesting part of a big waste of time and money.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

MakoAoyama

Member 25370

Level 5.43

Oct 2007

Old Oct 16, 2007, 08:46 PM #88 of 99
Oh, Mei! Okay, yeah I remember her. She was alright I guess. Seems like her personality is different in Negima, but I guess she is older then.
I'll eventually get around to rereading Negima, when I get time. I've read Love Hina like 7 times so I guess I could give Negima the same treatment, heh...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
neoprophet
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 3253

Level 2.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 1, 2007, 03:23 PM #89 of 99
how about School Days and its "Nice Boat Ending" that last episode killed it for me

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:12 AM #90 of 99
I literally had to drag myself through the entire Bount arc in Bleach, it was so terrible.
There's no character development, there's no real sense of urgency, there's no real motive to the Bount for at least 20 episodes, and everyone started fighting like they lost their balls back in Soul Society.

As far as those Naruto fillers go, I haven't watched much of the anime outside of what's been localized, but from what I understand everything is filler after the Sasuke retrieval episodes (ending at ep. 135)? How bad does it get after that?

crabman
NEWS!

Member 17465

Level 11.09

Dec 2006

Old Nov 29, 2007, 03:15 AM Local time: Nov 29, 2007, 01:15 AM #91 of 99
Gundam Seed Destiny. Yeah, pretty awful as is but they made it worse...

Spoiler:

They bring back Mu La Flaga as Phantom Pain. WORST POSSIBLE THING THEY COULD HAVE DONE! He was a great character, and I'm sure a lot of people thought he was really bad ass. I mean I could barely deal with the overly emo main character. I really didn't want to watch the anime anymore after they introduced and entire squad of emo powered emos. Bringing back an awesome character like Mu La Flaga is just the final nail in the coffen, he died a noble death protecting his woman, his ship and his comrades; HE DOESN'T NEED TO DO IT AGAIN! If it weren't for Meer, and the Hawke sisters I probably wouldn't have finished it. Shina Asuka, definately one of the worst, if not the worst main Gundam pilot EVER!

Soooo, do I get points for being leet?
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2008, 04:11 AM Local time: Jun 1, 2008, 04:11 AM #92 of 99
SAIKANO. I wasn't overly fond of the series to begin with, but it wasn't bad. And then the end came, and I was like, "WHAT THE HECK. Whhhhaaat the heck."

Spoiler:
So basically the entire series leads to the ENTIRE WORLD getting destroyed, leaving ONLY the main character in the middle of nowhere with just the memory of the girl. To me, this ending just seemed like an easy way to end the series and leave no loose ends because....why? EVERYONE'S DEAD! This was definitely closure overkill.

Blobulator
Lord of the Blobs.

Member 31181

Level 2.74

Jul 2008

Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:52 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2008, 04:52 PM #93 of 99
I'll have to agree with those who mentioned Death Note. There were a fair few things I didn't like about how they handled it, despite the excellent premise.

Spoiler:
Killing off L was one of the stupidest things they could have done. Near and Mellow were ridiculously lame excuses for characters. It seems like the writers just killed off L to be dramatic, then had no idea what to do with the series, so they created Near with almost clone-like qualities, except for the fact he's suckier.

The worst part is, I'd accidentally spoiled L's death for me very early on in the series by accident, so I was just waiting around for it to happen (all the while expecting it to be in the final few episodes) and then BAM! Mid-series he just drops off and I literally had no idea how the hell they thought they could carry this crap on for another 20-something episodes without him.

One last thing, though somewhat minor. I actually didn't mind Light's death (though it was somewhat stupid how he got beaten by Near when Near just sucked in comparison to L) and I thought it was reasonably well pulled off (though again, it would've been better if the final "showdown" was between L and Light). However, when Matsuda decided to finally *do* something and shot Light in the hand, I literally just went "what the hell?" in my head. They spend all those episodes developing Matsuda in a specific way, but then that one action and the way Matsuda went about it, everything he said, etc, just seemed to throw his character development out the window. Far too uncharactertistic for my tastes.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Blobulator; Jul 12, 2008 at 01:55 AM.
nadroj1992

Member 31379

Level 2.00

Jul 2008

Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:08 PM #94 of 99
I have to say the last of the Rurouni Kenshin arcs kind of ruined the series for me. It went from incredibly epic to really rather boring.

Alterminded
The Beginning of the Revolution

Member 5330

Level 8.00

Apr 2006

Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:18 PM #95 of 99
I'm putting Code Geass up here for one thing certain:
Spoiler:
Lelouch will most likely have some shitty ending in store for him come episode 25, I will most likely withdraw my statement if they decide to do R3... but that seems to be unlikely. Also, Suzaku somehow is this "I will join you" persona, from stabbing Lelouch in the back in the first season, to screwing him over in season 2 twice, and then killing his sister, to joining lelouch as a knight of Zero... honestly... what the fuck man, pick a team and stay with it

Most amazing jew boots
"Who the hell do you think I am?!"
neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:37 PM #96 of 99
ToLoveRU.

First 13 episodes were alright. Hell, the 14th episode was also alright.

Then welcome 10 episodes of POINTLESS filler. I hear the last episode is a fucking RESET and the main character doesn't make a fucking choice with his harem either. A big hearty FUCK YOU, XEBEC.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:51 AM Local time: Sep 25, 2008, 11:51 PM #97 of 99
You can't really blame XEBEC, seeing as the manga is still running and all.

Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:59 AM #98 of 99
No, I would blame XEBEC. They have a track record of doing this shit. Love Hina & Negima are forever stunted because of their crap handling of anime adaptations of manga.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:41 AM 1 #99 of 99
I'm upset because of fucking Pilot Candidate. I mean, honestly. Did Bandai just go HEY IT'S A BIG ROBOT ANIME LET'S GET IT LOCALIZED FOR AMERICA EVEN THOUGH IT GOT CANCELLED HALF-WAY THROUGH? The show was very enjoyable, cliched stock characters and all, and then it ends with "stuff's gonna happen!" End credits end series.

It's like Bandai teased me.

It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > "Well, That Ruined It" Experiences in Anime