Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Erin Go ROCK

CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:22 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 12:22 AM #1 of 2
Erin Go ROCK

'Kay, so I haven't created a thread in a while. I'm rusty. Don't eat me.

Since attending Irish Fest in Milwaukee this past August, I've been quite enthusiastic about exploring the world of Irish/Celtic rock.

I'd heard of bands like Flogging Molly and (albeit to a lesser extent) the Dropkick Murphys for some time, but never really had the inclination to download or otherwise investigate them. I suppose it's odd given my Irish heritage, but I guess I always assumed they were cookie-cutter late-20th-century rock with Irish cultural references thrown in as a gimmick. Every band's got to have a gimmick.

Well, what a fucking moron I was.

Molly and the Murphys are only my most recent inquisitions into modern Celtic music (i.e. not traditional instrumental Irish folk music). Before the big names I had heard:

-Enter the Haggis: Less Irish, more of a combination of Irish/Scottish/folk/bluegrass with some other diverse influences thrown in for good measure. First heard at Irish Fest. Known for "Gasoline," "One Last Drink," "Minstrel Boy."

-Gaelic Storm: Apparently one is some kind of cave-dweller for not having heard of them. So i guess they're popular. Anyway, more traditional but still with some modern influences and styles. Definitely heavy on the Irish culture, moreso than EtH at any rate. Known for "Me And the Moon," and the Johnny Tarr story.

-Young Dubliners: The most rock-oriented of my early exposures (until, admittedly, Flogging Molly and the DMs mopped the floor with them). Not sure about their most popular, though "Brown Dog," "Touch the Sky," and their rendition of "Waxies' Dargle" seemed to garner good responses from the audience when they played live.

I'll leave the introductions of Flogging Molly and the Dropkick Murphys to more seasoned fans, as I know they've been around for the better part of 10 years (if not more) and I probably can't do them proper justice. I'll say, though, that the Workers' Song, Fields of Athenry, and Rebels of the Sacred Heart give me no shortage of listening enjoyment.

Aside from that I know there are the Pogues and Seven Nations, neither of whom I've heard yet, but understand to be well worth a listen.

So...it's late and that's all I've got. Let the Celtic rock discussion commence.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:29 AM #2 of 2
Ive heard of some of the bands you mentioned, but havent actually listened to them.

I have a friend who loves Dropkick Murphys, so I guess I should go download some songs and see what Celtic rock is all about.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Erin Go ROCK