Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Best Sites for DVD Reviews

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 05:42 PM #1 of 12
Best Sites for DVD Reviews

What sites do you normally visit for reviews on DVD's (as in reviews on the technical aspects, including video and sound quality, along with extras)?

The main site I visit is IGN's DVD section. I usually find myself in agreement with their reviews, plus the addition of screencaps is also nice (though I miss the amusing comments they used to attach with each screencap). Unfortunately, their anime reviews are both scarce and overly critical. They pretty much slam every anime DVD they review.

For that, there's animeondvd, which provides pretty in-depth reviews of every notable anime DVD, though their lack of screencaps makes some reviews a bit boring to read.

Those are the two sites I frequent, but I'd like to add a few more (for the obscure or under the radar DVDs that IGN don't cover), so tell me which sites you browse.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 06:13 PM #2 of 12
I go to IGN DVD all the time. Another site I check out mostly for DVD news is DVDActive, but they also have some pretty insightful reviews every now and then.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 06:49 PM Local time: Jul 11, 2006, 05:49 PM #3 of 12
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com is the site I visit the most for DVD reviews, as most of the DVDs I buy are TV DVDs. They don't review every TV DVD that comes out, but they do have a pretty good review section, and their database does cover nearly every TV DVD out there.

By the way SOLDIER, do you plan to make a list of all these sites in the first post? Just wondering.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 06:53 PM #4 of 12
If the list gets big enough, I guess.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:28 PM #5 of 12
I mostly just stick to IGN's DVD section. I only really read the DVD reviews to find out about the video quality of the transfers. They've saved me from spending money on the Miyazaki films.

I was speaking idiomatically.

T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:42 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 03:42 AM #6 of 12
I always head to The Digital Bits' website for reviews. After I saw the rating of Polar Express, mainly rating the movie itself a 9...I just knew I had to look elsewhere.

How ya doing, buddy?
Talbain
Quilty as Charged

Member 19

Level 10.84

Feb 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 05:51 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 10:51 PM #7 of 12
I would say IGN for the flashy graphics and actual pictures from the DVD, but the writing staff is very suspect there in regards to ratings.

I mainly go through a central site called DVD-Basen which is a giant site which collects film reviews from even the most obscure sites. I suggest instead of a list, just go there.

FELIPE NO
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 05:57 PM #8 of 12
I usually stick with comingsoon.net

Whether it's the "best" or not, you can decide.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
kenkwan86
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 9768

Level 2.38

Jul 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:07 AM #9 of 12
i always go to imdb.com but its kind of done by users and not professionals.
Metacritic.com offers links to reviews from quite a lot of newspapers and sites and it complies their reviews giving them a rating. I would say its a good way to start with.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 08:25 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 08:25 PM #10 of 12
These two are my favorites and the two I think are the best:
1)dvdtalk.com
2)dvdtown.com

I know of seven others. Let me know if you want those as well.

xman25

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2006, 08:21 PM #11 of 12
Since Blu-Ray movies and players are now available, are there any sites that are reviewing BR movies, along with comparing the BR version of a movie to its previous DVD version?

I got a chance to check Blu-Ray in action at Best Buy today. The movie on display was Ultraviolet. Even though I haven't seen the original in any form, I did notice a bit of color improvement in the BR edition. There were still some artifacts though, but maybe this was because the BR player wasn't hooked up with an HDMI cable.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:59 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 04:59 AM #12 of 12
Artifacts were present on the transfer, AVS podcast mentions it and I checked it out myself first hand. :doh:
Also there are very few HD/BD reviews online but I managed to find this one.

http://www.avrev.com/

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Best Sites for DVD Reviews