Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Should "Winterbliss" be allowed in SotW?
Yes 2 25.00%
No 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

[SotW] Song of the Week - Qualification: Winterbliss

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:45 PM #1 of 6
Song of the Week - Qualification: Winterbliss

PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU PARTICIPATE IN SONG OF THE WEEK

This is a poll on official policy, so we'd appreciate it if only people who vote and/or nominate vote on this matter. If we don't recognize your name, we won't count your vote with the final tally. Thanks in advance.

~~~~

Winterbliss
nominator: Opfer

See here for previous discussion on the matter; it continues onto the second page. Do you think we should make an exception to SotW rule #4 to allow this track to be eligible for voting? Vote/discuss/etc.

The poll will close roughly the same time as Week 168 voting closes, in a week.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:21 AM #2 of 6
There are two points to consider:

Winterbliss was not expressly composed for inclusion in Castle Crashers; it was later included.

The composer does not have any alternative VGM credits to his name.

Sorry Opfer, I don't think it's worth gerrymandering the rule when such a case is so infrequent. There are other quality tracks that are ineligible under similar technicalities, so this one just happens to fall onto that pile.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Apr 22, 2009, 03:18 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2009, 12:18 AM #3 of 6
I personally would make an exception in this case for two reasons:

1. The song was just posted online for free to listen to. It wasn't part of an album nor was it for sale.
2. The song is more well-known via the game. The game has sold more copies than this song has been listened to on Newgrounds.

But that's just a per-case thing. I'm not exactly sure how I'd change policy to allow for this typically.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Opfer
nice

Member 28563

Level 18.16

Mar 2008

Old Apr 22, 2009, 09:14 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2009, 04:14 PM #4 of 6
I personally would make an exception in this case for two reasons:

1. The song was just posted online for free to listen to. It wasn't part of an album nor was it for sale.
2. The song is more well-known via the game. The game has sold more copies than this song has been listened to on Newgrounds.

But that's just a per-case thing. I'm not exactly sure how I'd change policy to allow for this typically.
Couldn't have said that any better myself, that's pretty much my opinion aswell.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:43 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2009, 11:43 PM #5 of 6
Oops, missed your post about the polls, Kaleb. And looks like our ever efficient orion_mk3 has already done the honours. :P

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I still don't think Winterbliss should be eligible for reasons I've mentioned before:

There is no presupposition of a video game in the music's creation in the case of licensed music used in a video game. Exceptions being stand-alone, non-video game music tracks by video game composers. I such cases, I feel there's a higher correlation of the music's creation being influenced by bona fide video games given the composer's background.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I think therefore I am... I think.
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2009, 01:29 PM #6 of 6
Oops, missed your post about the polls, Kaleb. And looks like our ever efficient orion_mk3 has already done the honours. :P

My feeling is that since the song was licensed, no matter where or from who, it shouldn't be allowed. Much as I'd like to, for example, I can't put up something from "Braid" since that music was composed months or years before it was used in the game. It's good music, and might even win, but it's just not VGM.

I'd welcome any of the Castle Crashers songs that were original or at least rewritten for the game, and it does have a crazy good soundtrack!

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - Qualification: Winterbliss