Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] VANQUISH - the ultimate air guitar knee slide (or SHIT JUST GOT REAL the vidyagaem)

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:44 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2010, 07:44 PM #1 of 52
VANQUISH - the ultimate air guitar knee slide (or SHIT JUST GOT REAL the vidyagaem)

Platinum Games (of Bayonetta, MadWorld and Infinite Space fame) and director Shinji Mikami (Resident Evil, Killer7, God Hand, Devil May Cry) bring you the batshit
insane lovechild of Gears of War, God Hand and P.N.03 about Americans fighting armies of Russian assault robots, in the future, IN SPAAAACE

The demo is out on both Xbox Live and PSN and if you haven't tried them yet stop reading right now.

LOOK AT THIS GLORIOUS KNEE-SLIDING, ROCKET-BOOSTING, TIME SLOWING, PAGE STRETCHING,
FLIP KICKING, DRILL-PUNCHING, CHAIN-SMOKING, ULTRA-COOL MOTHERFUCKER

Go play the demo, then come back, unless you've already had the game ordered like me. You could still play the demo. Again.

Or you can watch something like GT's preview of it while you wait.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pr...anquish/702553

Or the Sam Gideon trailer with some sweet gameplay footage amidst the silly story bits.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-vanquish/702607

Anyway, I am looking so forward to this. I was really psyched by the time the first gameplay videos were released, but the demo confirms it to be completely, deliriously glorious.

Oh and the cover is lenticular.

We can see Sega is throwing every bell and whistle into making itself look ridiculous, but do go and buy the game when it's out next month.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Sep 2, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:51 AM #2 of 52
What's going on in this thread? Why did I just get kicked in the face? Why don't I mind that at all?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:05 PM #3 of 52
I just played the demo and it was fantastic. I was having a few issues with the camera when the action got hot, especially against the HUGE FUCKING TRANSFORMING, MISSILE SPAMMING BOSS at the end of of it, but nowhere near enough to hinder the enjoyment of the whole thing.

Definitely going to be picking this one up.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:28 PM Local time: Sep 2, 2010, 11:28 AM #4 of 52
Played the demo for like, 40 seconds and ordered this.

Wow. Just wow.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:33 PM #5 of 52
Yes, it's lots of fun; just remember to keep moving (cover is destructible) and manage boost energy.

That said, some actual official sources need to be dropped here...

For those interested in such things, Gamestop among other retailers has a preorder bonus consisting of a trio of special weapons (reference):

I was speaking idiomatically.
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2010, 07:57 PM #6 of 52
First time I played the demo, I just jumped in and died 3 times and took 20 minutes didn't think much of it. Second time through the demo, I played the tutorial, blasted through the story mission in 10 minutes and loved it. The voices are a bit too 90's anime-ish, the camera was annoyingly slow at first but I got used to it. Not sure if I should expect a huge story out of this but the gameplay itself might be worth it.
The shooting is very forgiving even on normal but nothing wrong with that. Only thing that might be the biggest problem is that every action relies on the suits power level, which makes sense I guess but even a melee attack can deplete your entire health bar and be an instant death if you use it improperly.
There aren't any games coming out this fall/winter so I may pick this up since it does have sega's "awesome" style as they did with bayonetta"

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

New Record!
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:51 PM #7 of 52
Played the demo and rather enjoyed it. The only thing that really bugged me was damage taken seemed kinda arbitrary when fighting the boss. He killed me 3 times in one hit when I had full health, and all 3 times I have literally no idea why I died. But then there would be times where I would take a big missile or laser directly to the face and it would fuck me up, but I'd be fine. Not sure if I was just missing something or what, but it was really annoying.

FELIPE NO
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:07 PM Local time: Sep 2, 2010, 10:07 PM #8 of 52
First form has a top mounted cannon that shoots fast enough that you don't really have much of a chance to dodge it unless you're already moving. It has a really obvious charge animation glow though, and it's strong enough to throw you straight into emergency AR if you're at full health, so being beaten up a bit will have it kill you quick.

ALso your health is directly related to how much suit juice you got left so.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2010, 06:53 AM #9 of 52
ALso your health is directly related to how much suit juice you got left so.
Ah, I bet that's what I was missing.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:11 AM #10 of 52
Definitely looking forward to picking up Vanquish.

I died twice during the demo, but both times happened at the very beginning. That aerial fire comes down and sends a car or something flying, and it's instant death if it touches you. I didn't get a good look at what happened the first time, and the second time I was standing right next to it when it got hit. I found it odd how ineffective the giant spider robot was compared to a stray car. The boss didn't even seem to target me as I walked around by its feet, slowly kicking open weapon crates for ammo. It didn't care about my squad either, who all huddled up in the same corner with their backs turned to the boss.

That said, I only had two issues with the demo. First, the punching. Enemies would go down with a single punch, yet he insisted on finishing the combo and sending the suit into recharge mode. Second, recharge mode takes way too long. Hopefully there are upgrades that lessen it a bit, or at least make your suit last longer before having to recharge.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:07 AM Local time: Sep 3, 2010, 07:07 PM #11 of 52
Oh god I just realized Sam is voiced by Gideon Emery YES YES

Dobby
The sun-kissed slope

Member 4519

Level 8.40

Apr 2006

Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:25 PM Local time: Sep 3, 2010, 09:25 AM #12 of 52
There's a god damn button for Sam to take a smoke break.

Nuff said.

How ya doing, buddy?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:09 PM Local time: Sep 5, 2010, 08:09 PM #13 of 52
Fa-huuuuck yes, I can't wait for this game. Demo was great, AI was meh, smoking was hilarious, and boss was appropriate in difficulty. Easy-- but it's an early stage.

I was speaking idiomatically.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:36 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2010, 05:36 PM #14 of 52
Still haven't gotten around to playing the demo yet (am going to try and correct that soon), but got this pre-ordered. In fact, thanks to Skills's heads up I've got some awesome looking UK exclusive ordered (woop).

Definitely looking forward to this a lot.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:31 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2010, 07:31 PM #15 of 52
Three things happened when I got home from work today.
  1. The demo got played
  2. A load exploded in my pants along with the massive explosion of the first boss
  3. Game was pre-ordered

I played it on both Casual, which was supposed to have auto-aim (queue "VERY EASY" jokes at this point) and Normal. I found that it was actually harder to beat that fucking boss with auto-aimvon than without it. It's like the auto-aim wants to aim to the main weak points when you should be juking out its joints first.

Anyway, I was blown away; literally. Can't wait until this comes out next month!

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:39 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2010, 08:39 PM 1 #16 of 52
Did you play casual FIRST?

Because honestly if you're going to review this thing I swear to God you better actually play it instead of automating half of it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:41 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2010, 07:41 PM #17 of 52
I did because I thought it was gonna be easier but, man, it's just so much easier when YOU'RE the one aiming the goddamn gun where you want the shots to go.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:46 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2010, 08:46 PM #18 of 52
So you just assumed you were too incapable and retarded? Not a bad stance to take but

At this point it's safe to say Mikami is trolling people who are too dumb to properly play the vidya. And yet they lavish him anyway despite only playing half the game. I find this hilarious but appropriate.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:56 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2010, 07:56 PM #19 of 52
Seems like my journal message did not get across.

What a pity.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:59 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2010, 07:59 PM #20 of 52
So you just assumed you were too incapable and retarded?
"I played the game on what I assumed would be an easy difficulty setting." The part that is INSIDE the quotations is the part I'm submitting as my answer to question Y. I'm not sure how you canucks translate the language but I'm fairly certain that's pretty self-explanatory.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:05 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2010, 09:05 PM 5 #21 of 52
"I played the game on what I assumed would be an easy difficulty setting." The part that is INSIDE the quotations is the part I'm submitting as my answer to question Y. I'm not sure how you canucks translate the language but I'm fairly certain that's pretty self-explanatory.
That's a lot of words to say "yes".

How ya doing, buddy?
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:13 AM #22 of 52
And lo...

...the speed runs have already started. For example, I recently had this playthrough brought to my attention... 4:46 elapsed, 19500 points accrued.

White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:57 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2010, 02:57 AM #23 of 52
It's just the demo. I'll wait until it hits retail then I shall await these runs with gusto.

I had mine preordered already. Impressed in every aspect of the demo.

And yes, I played on normal.

FELIPE NO
Dobby
The sun-kissed slope

Member 4519

Level 8.40

Apr 2006

Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:12 AM Local time: Oct 6, 2010, 09:12 PM #24 of 52
YouTube - VANQUISH - Weapons Trailer

New trailer, extra hype

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2010, 05:56 PM #25 of 52
Early reviews are saying the main game is only 4-6 hours long. As awesome as the game is shaping up to be, I'm wondering if it's worth $60. Even with a $20 coupon from Kmart this week, I'm still considering waiting for a price drop. After all, Fallout and Kirby come out this week too.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] VANQUISH - the ultimate air guitar knee slide (or SHIT JUST GOT REAL the vidyagaem)