Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Looking for a program

Audiophile
Surrealist

Member 16745

Level 22.01

Dec 2006

Old Jul 28, 2008, 04:52 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2008, 03:52 PM #1 of 6
Looking for a program

Hello all! If you haven't heard of it, there's this nifty game called 'N' where you run around as a ninja inside a physics simulator, collecting gold. It's fun, but the problem comes with the fact that the game stores all the save data and progress in a temp folder inside of Application Data. So when I reboot or clean my internet cache, it's gone. You can manually move this, but it's kind of an inconvenience to do so every time. What I'd like is a program that will automatically copy the file to the game's directory when it closes, and restore it to the correct temp folder when the game is started. Is there a way to do this with a scheduled task, or a .bat file? I'm not entirely sure how I'd go about programming those in, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2008, 05:34 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2008, 06:34 AM 1 #2 of 6
I will go with a batch file.

Start it off with x-copy command:

xcopy [temp appdata dir] [backup dir] /e /y
Run the game (just put in the path of the .exe file)
xcopy [backup dir] [temp appdata dir] /e /y

Here's a sample (you can just type it up in notepad and save as a .BAT)

xcopy "C:\Ngamebak" "C:\Documents and Settings\Audio Phile\Application Data\N Game Save Files" /e /y
C:\Games\N-Game\N.exe
xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Audio Phile\Application Data\N Game Save Files" "C:\Ngamebak" /e /y

/e specifies that Windows will copy empty directories - if there are no subdirectories then this is unnecessary. In this case MOVE might also be a viable command (MOVE /Y [source\*.*] [destination]).

/y suppresses the prompt asking you if you want to overwrite the file. You should probably leave it in.

When you're done with your editing, you can run that instead of running the game executable directly.

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Audiophile
Surrealist

Member 16745

Level 22.01

Dec 2006

Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:00 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2008, 08:00 PM #3 of 6
This seems like it will work, except for one thing: the temporary save directory is named as a random string of numbers and letters each time it is created. Will a "*" work as a wildcard for a directory? E.g.,
Code:
xcopy "C:\Ngamebak" "C:\Documents and Settings\Audio Phile\Application Data\*\N.sav"
Thanks for all the help you've given already!

Edit: Actually, after a little thought, I figured it out. I just let it create its randomly named directory, then I copied the whole thing over to the save folder. When the batch file runs, it just copies the whole thing back, and even if the original directory was deleted, it still reads it just fine. Thanks!

Edit 2: Okay, just one more thing . This would really just be icing on the cake, but is there any way to suppress the command window when the batch file is running? It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Audiophile; Jul 28, 2008 at 10:08 PM.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:28 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2008, 12:28 PM 1 #4 of 6
For the randomly generated save directory, I got nothing. You will unfortunately have to do it manually, I suppose. Are you SURE you can't change the save directory into something more permanent?

---

As for your cake icing, you can't suppress it, but you can have it automatically minimize to the background when you run the batch file.

Silent .bat/.cmd file (no window)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Audiophile
Surrealist

Member 16745

Level 22.01

Dec 2006

Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:32 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2008, 10:32 AM #5 of 6
It is a little hard to read up there, but I managed to work around the random save directory by just copying the entire directory. If the random directory is already there, the program has no trouble reading from it. The only issue was that if the directory wasn't there, it would make a new one.

And running the command window minimized will work great! Thanks so much!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2008, 01:01 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2008, 12:01 PM #6 of 6
Edit: Hrm, that's odd, my game saves just fine, cache or no. The FAQ says that if your progress isn't saving, try allocating more disk space in your Flash options.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery

Last edited by Dhsu; Jul 29, 2008 at 01:09 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Looking for a program