Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What OS are you running?

killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:23 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:23 PM #76 of 142
Mac OS X 10.4.5 Tiger, the OS of champions.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:26 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:26 PM #77 of 142
Originally Posted by MysteryRidah
Windows 98 se, the best os in the world.
Too bad most newer programs don't run on Win98, they all have gone to the lands of Windows XP.

I was speaking idiomatically.
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:34 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 04:34 PM #78 of 142
I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP2,of course is better than Win98 or WinME

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:57 AM #79 of 142
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
Too bad most newer programs don't run on Win98, they all have gone to the lands of Windows XP.
Too bad it's unstable on anything faster than a 500 MHz processor and 128 MB of RAM.

My main computer runs Windows XP SP2. Every other computer I touch is pretty much the same. Unless you count what I usually use at college, which is some version of Sun Solaris using some version CDE.

How ya doing, buddy?
Relic
and after all this...

Member 945

Level 11.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:07 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:07 AM #80 of 142
I have Windows XP Home SP2 on my desktop, and my laptop has Windows XP Professional SP2 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 both stuffed onto one 40GB drive. My parents' computer runs Windows XP, too, and my old desktop runs Windows 98SE.

Nothing weird and exciting like Solaris or OS/2 or anything, sorry.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:45 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:45 AM #81 of 142
XP Pro, would be using 2000, but Battlefield 2 won't let me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
aoidra
Carob Nut

Member 804

Level 6.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:33 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 02:33 PM #82 of 142
I'm using Windows XP Home Edition now, but I used to use Winsdow 2000.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fire Fox

Member 2185

Level 3.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 04:29 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 05:29 PM #83 of 142
Windows XP Home SP2 for me. I should have got Professional instead. But since I'm just playing games, doing some light codings and posting on online forums, I don't think I think special OS.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Fire Fox; Mar 7, 2006 at 04:35 AM.
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:55 AM #84 of 142
I'm running OS X 10.4 and occasionally XP Pro in a virtual machine.

Will likely be adding a PC sometime, and it'll either be running XP Home or Media Center. Now, assuming that this is just going to be a regular machine, is there any advantage/disadvantage to getting the media center edition instead of home? I'm going to get whatever comes with a 'good buy' computer anyways, and thus a Pro edition isn't an option.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:50 AM #85 of 142
Originally Posted by PUG1911
Will likely be adding a PC sometime, and it'll either be running XP Home or Media Center. Now, assuming that this is just going to be a regular machine, is there any advantage/disadvantage to getting the media center edition instead of home? I'm going to get whatever comes with a 'good buy' computer anyways, and thus a Pro edition isn't an option.
No, you WANT Pro because Home is a heaping pile of useless shit.

Unless you don't want any flexibility in configuring your computer what-so-ever.

I don't know if Media Center is based on Home or Pro, but I'm leaning towards Home.

Jujubee
Good Chocobo

Member 416

Level 16.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:13 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 01:13 PM #86 of 142
Quote:
I don't know if Media Center is based on Home or Pro, but I'm leaning towards Home.
Media Center is based on XP Pro 2002. As I said earlier it's a 'fun' OS to play with, but not as stable as XP Home or Pro. If you want to be able to use your PC like a DVR/DVD and record/watch TV/DVDs with it, MCE is the OS for you. It was built for multimedia purposes. The downside is all the neat little gadgets that come with MCE hog background resources, so you'll want a PC thats at least 2+GHz and has 1+GB of RAM if you plan on playing games with it too. I can post some screenshots if anyone wants to see what the Media Center interface looks like.

Also, alot of OEM PCs w/MCE come with problems out of the box. Theres a hardware glitch that causes MCE to crash/freeze while you're watching TV/Recorded TV and no one knows a real solution to fix it. Theres a Windows Update that claims to fix this problem but for most people it makes it worse or doesn't fix it at all. My PC came with this problem and I wasn't able to fix it until after reinstalling MCE for the third time and reinstalled the update.

Last edited by Jujubee; Mar 7, 2006 at 02:27 PM.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:24 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 11:24 AM #87 of 142
Originally Posted by Guest
Media Center is based on XP Pro 2002. As I said earlier it's a 'fun' OS to play with, but not as stable as XP Home or Pro. If you want to be able to use your PC like a DVR/DVD and record/watch TV/DVDs with it, MCE is the OS for you. It was built for multimedia purposes. The downside is all the neat little gadgets that come with MCE hog background resources, so you'll want a PC thats at least 2+GHz and has a 1+GB of RAM. If you want to see screenshots I can post some of what it all looks like.
It is based off of XP Pro, however MCE still lacks the ability to join an Active Directory Domain like XP Home. This is something to consider if you ever plan on joining a domain.

Anyway, I'm running XP Pro on my main desktop and my laptop. I gave up trying to use Linux as a desktop OS. I found it completely counterproductive and usually spent more time trying to get Linux to do something I needed it to do than I spend worrying about security issues with Windows XP.

FELIPE NO
PUG1911

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:48 PM #88 of 142
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
No, you WANT Pro because Home is a heaping pile of useless shit.

Unless you don't want any flexibility in configuring your computer what-so-ever.

I'm well aware of Pro's advantages over home. The reason it's not an option when buying a new machine is because any oem I'd be buying from would not change the OS that comes with the bargain machine. Thanks for your input, but my query was only with regards to which OS of the two available would be better or if anything would really be different. It's a stop gap measure until I put a better, more costly OS on it.

Double Post:
Guest, Cetra, thanks for your insight on MCE, as I've not used it. Sounds like home is the way to go at the same pricepoint. Neither is going to do anything I care about over the other, and if I'm using a mediocre OS (home), it might as well have a few less headaches than the other mediocre OS (MCE).

All depends on the sales though. ^^

Last edited by PUG1911; Mar 7, 2006 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:57 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 04:57 PM #89 of 142
I'm well aware of Pro's advantages over home. The reason it's not an option when buying a new machine is because any oem I'd be buying from would not change the OS that comes with the bargain machine. Thanks for your input, but my query was only with regards to which OS of the two available would be better or if anything would really be different. It's a stop gap measure until I put a better, more costly OS on it.

Double Post:
Guest, Cetra, thanks for your insight on MCE, as I've not used it. Sounds like home is the way to go at the same pricepoint. Neither is going to do anything I care about over the other, and if I'm using a mediocre OS (home), it might as well have a few less headaches than the other mediocre OS (MCE).

All depends on the sales though. ^^
You do realize you could easily download WinXP Pro, most online versions don't require activation (this version called the Corporate or Volume Licensed Edition). And there's a very easy way to get past the Windows Genuine Advantage check that comes with manual usage of Windows Update and downloading from the Microsoft site.

PUG1911

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:38 AM #90 of 142
I don't pirate software anymore, hence, not going to do that. The XP Pro I'm using in virtual PC is not a legal copy, but I'll remove it when I get a real PC. I appreciate the thought though.

How ya doing, buddy?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:40 AM #91 of 142
On my main comp I run Windows XP Pro SP2 Int. My Laptop runs 2000 Pro because anything else would make it explode.

I have copies of the December CTP of Vista, I might have the February CTP but I don't think so. I have Intel's Tiger 10.4.5 also. I plan on testing them as soon as my external decides to work again.

I actually have shitloads of valid XP keys, just not for Pro, only Home. I also have valid keys for older versions of Windows too. Might have a 2000 Pro one, have 98SE, and countless ME serials.

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 09:42 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 07:42 PM #92 of 142
I don't pirate software anymore, hence, not going to do that. The XP Pro I'm using in virtual PC is not a legal copy, but I'll remove it when I get a real PC. I appreciate the thought though.
Well I guess you could just save for Windows Vista when it comes out. Unless you really tweak Windows or use Windows in a businesslike environment, you're not missing out on too much by using Windows XP Home (plus why pay an extra $100 for an OS very similar to the one you already have?).

Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:02 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 03:02 AM #93 of 142
I use Windows 2000 SP4 for the most part. A few months ago I installed Windows XP64 just to see how well it performed on my system (which is supposedly ideally suited for it, with a couple of Opterons on the motherboard). Performance was a little bit slower, but I appreciate the PowerNow! support which can stop my ears from bleeding due to fan noise, unlike in Windows 2000 where I need to use RMClock to get a similar effect and it tends to be unreliable anyway.

Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:46 PM #94 of 142
Woo! It's Spring Break! I left my PC at school and am now running Tiger on my 400Mhz Macintosh G4. I can't wait until the Intel version of OS X is stable enough to install on my PC, because I definitely prefer it to Windows (although the Terminal leaves much to be desired).

PUG1911

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:02 AM #95 of 142
Are you saying Terminal leaves much to be desired compared to Window's command line? If so, what?

Only issue I have with it is that when switching between DOS and Unix command lines I will often mix up commands. It's amazing how poorly ls works in Windows. You can try, and try, and try. ^^

Double Post:
Well I guess you could just save for Windows Vista when it comes out. Unless you really tweak Windows or use Windows in a businesslike environment, you're not missing out on too much by using Windows XP Home (plus why pay an extra $100 for an OS very similar to the one you already have?).
I do a great deal of networking, so it's going to run 2000 server, 2003, Vista etc. So testing an XP Pro environment is something I'm going to be doing. The Home vs. MCE issue is only because I'm going to get one for 'free', so it might as well be that which is most suitable in the immediate future.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by PUG1911; Mar 9, 2006 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:15 AM #96 of 142
Are you saying Terminal leaves much to be desired compared to Window's command line? If so, what?
lol, of course not. I rarely, if ever, need to use DOS in Windows. But OS X's Terminal doesn't seem to read extended keys properly. I normally use Home and End to go the beginning and end of a line instead of the top and bottom of a document. Actually, you can set them to do that, but for some reason it doesn't work in vim. And then when you set it so it works in vim, it doesn't work on the command line. I'm sure there's a solution, but it's probably better to just get used to the default layout.

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:37 AM #97 of 142
Unless you really tweak Windows or use Windows in a businesslike environment, you're not missing out on too much by using Windows XP Home (plus why pay an extra $100 for an OS very similar to the one you already have?).
Hahahahaha, have you ever used some of the things that Windows XP Pro has that Windows Home doesn't?

And I'm not talking about domains and shit, I'm talking about the stuff they don't tell you that's not in Home that's in Pro.

Have fun trying to create users other than Administrators or Users, sharing your things over the network with any decent control, or otherwise, administrating your computer decently.

Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:40 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 06:40 PM #98 of 142
And any XP doesen't handle these jobs decently to begin with. From what I've heard, the Home and Pro editions are actually just a few registry changes apart, is that true?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:40 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 11:40 AM #99 of 142
Originally Posted by Cyrus XIII
And any XP doesen't handle these jobs decently to begin with. From what I've heard, the Home and Pro editions are actually just a few registry changes apart, is that true?
More or less, here a list of things that windows xp pro has over windows xp home:

- SMP support (multi-processor support)
- Roaming user profiles
- Remote desktop
- Access control
- Encrypting file system
- Offline files and folders
- Remote installation service
- Windows server domain support
- Group policy
- Software installation and maintenance
- Multi-lingual user interface support

Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:44 PM #100 of 142
Originally Posted by Kairyu
More or less, here a list of things that windows xp pro has over windows xp home:

- SMP support (multi-processor support)
- Roaming user profiles
- Remote desktop
- Access control
- Encrypting file system
- Offline files and folders
- Remote installation service
- Windows server domain support
- Group policy
- Software installation and maintenance
- Multi-lingual user interface support
Wait a minute...
Theoretically, in virtue of the fact that Home can use NTFS, shouldn't it have an "encrypting file system"?

Also, as a note, group policy in XP affects all users: don't expect to restrict specific users from things with it. (Granted, the policy editor in XP can be very useful for modification purposes alone.)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > What OS are you running?