Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

To quit or not to... that's the question.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 08:33 AM #1 of 6
To quit or not to... that's the question.

I need advice. I, stockroom coordinator, work at a retail store chain and earn pretty good pay by normal low standards (more than 9 dollars a hour). Great benefits, its nearby, great people to work with, and a shitty operations manager.

We all heard this before I'm sure. I called in twice now because I cannot deal with the fact that I'm earning my paycheck to just simply to put up with her. She's one of those who like to press on you over and over about the "gravity" of the situation. I'm sure she's doing HER job, but I wonder if she's being stressed because she's incompetent (she got discovered for a lot of mistakes lately)...

Now my job is to oversee people in the stockroom to handle freight shipments accordingly. Our store is a womens/mens/kids clothings & toys/home furnishings, and I usually have enough people for this sort of thing, processing and stocking. Trouble is, she kept saying even though they're there til they're scheduled, they cannot leave til the merchandise is all put out and stockroom's clean. Even when a few of us are scheduled much later can finish up. She just won't budge with this mentality that everything have to be out when they can go home. :\

Now let me get into detail about my people here, they're all old women. Late 40s to their 70s. I cannot possibly ask them to stay past their scheduled time and yet ask them to hurry up either. Taking orders from a 28 year old doesn't really jive well with them. :\ Whenever I upset one of them in some way, they get into a negative gossip circle.

Even though I could lead by example, but I'm too young as an example for these women... I guess. :\ So I couldn't really do my job very well. I actually refused TWICE at this promotion because I knew it'll just fail. I didn't want to create a very uncomfortable workplace for myself as I work with these women (picture one negative massive gossip clique).

And its just heading to that point when the shitty manager kept pressing me to rush these women to do their job they fully know how to do already. Realizing that whenever I do press on them, they actually slow down and be negative about it. So I let them do their thing to get them wanting to go home in other words to finish up freight as much as possible. Its fine actually, they're happier when I don't "mess" with them. And I'm fine with that too, I get to be able to do my "thing". Stockroom coordinator don't really process or stock freight, but I actually do; a lot of it. The more I get to do my thing, the more we can finish up and let them all go home. But the shitty manager would tell me that I cannot burden myself with all this and should follow up and etc. Follow up on whom? These old women had worked there for 3 years, they KNOW their fucking job. Its just the SAME fucking runaround.

I have only worked in this position mainly for two reasons. One, any NEW OUTSIDE person would not do very well because she/he would have to learn a lot of crap and set everything back slowly (I'd have to work with this new person). Second, the payraise is signicifant enough for me to consider some major purchases soon (like a car). I only been in this position for maybe a month and a half. Holiday season is already over last month, and things should be dying down. Why the fuck is she hopping down on our backs now? :\

Sigh... I honestly do not know what to say to this damn woman, but I called in this morning and apparently freight was a bit bigger than norm and she's somewhat freaking out about it since I'm not there; which makes me glad. SHE should be taking part of freight MORE if she wanted it done faster so damn badly. That's another thing I don't understand, previous store I worked at had a great manager that worked into freight whenever she's scheduled that day. But that store was major stress house though.

So help me out here please... any advice would be appreciated. On a related note, two of our OTHER managers (the store and merchandise) will be gone for a signicifant amount of time leaving the store wide open for this shitty manager to fuck it all up, this will be pretty soon. (Store manager is going to open up a new store, ie be back in 3 weeks and the other will have surgery on her leg, ie be back in 6 weeks.) Not to mention, the district ASSISTANT manager likes to come in like a rat after the cheese slices in our pockets every now and then, the managers like to play kiss up to this nerdy rat. :\ I never liked the guy, he just gives me unnerving vibes...

Anyway, really should I just quit or do I just bite my tongue and deal with it? I imagine there's all sorts of shit like this in every damn job... I'm looking at stepping down at least.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Philia; Jan 31, 2007 at 11:20 AM.
Duo Maxwell
like this

Member 1139

Level 18.35

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 05:01 PM Local time: Jan 31, 2007, 02:01 PM #2 of 6
Well, when I have problems with people at work, I toss them over the side and tell them to swim home.

Likewise, if someone wants to be a wiseass, we have ways of dealing with it. "Fanroom" sessions, and other forms of corporal punishment. Of course, this is all unofficial and against regulations, but most of the upper chain of command is willing to turn a blind-eye when other means fail.

Don't know what to tell you, as a civilian, though. I'd say don't worry about it and just collect your paycheck. If they're not willing to either hire workers capable of getting the job done (and cleaning up) in the time alotted, then they're going to have to face facts.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Posting without content since 2002.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 06:31 PM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 01:31 AM #3 of 6
If you're really unhappy working at your job, see if you can find something else, and quit. I really don't think there's any use in working a job that you loathe--it's probably counterproductive (and calling in sure is).

Of course, if you're in Flint MI or some hellhole like that, you might not be able to find a replacement job so easily...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
parKbench
chunin

Member 17747

Level 13.94

Jan 2007

Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:23 PM #4 of 6
I've had to deal with bad management in MANY jobs, you either have to deal with it as best as you can, or look for something better. My advice is to start looking as soon as possible and only take something that pays better than what you are making now.

You said that you've been in that position for only a month and a half, was your previous position at the same company? If not, I would stick it out for a bit longer. Try to stay as long as you can, it will look better on your resume.

My advice is to start looking, but take your time.

P.S. ALL district managers are nerdy rats.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sandy
Pikachu ♪

Member 17794

Level 10.12

Jan 2007

Old Feb 1, 2007, 01:55 AM #5 of 6
Be nice to nerds, because someday you might work for one! :P

But I would agree, if you really dislike your job, start looking for a new one.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Yes, I'm very evul.

(Old sig back in 2001ish)
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 03:59 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2007, 03:59 AM #6 of 6
Yeah, the worst thing about working is when you don't like your job. Satisfaction in your job to some extent is the best thing for you. Job satisfaction makes everything else in life go a little bit smoother.

I would suggest finding something else.... unless there isn't anything else that you know of that pays that well. Be patient with finding a new job, but definitely look into something else.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > To quit or not to... that's the question.