Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Buyer's Guide to Anime/Manga/Etc. (plus SALES updates)

aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 05:24 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 05:24 PM #1 of 108
Buyer's Guide to Anime/Manga/Etc. (plus SALES updates)

OK, I was thinking, anime and manga ain't cheap, so I though we should have a page for those who are looking to buy and need some help looking! And please make suggestions on sites, have a thorough description of the site, weather it has HK(R0) or Perfect(R1) or what ever kind of DVDs. And make sure to give out where you got some of the stuff in your stash if it isn't listed!

SALES!
DVD(R1) Sites: here are some good places to start looking.
  • Rober's Anime Corner Store: Always has something on sale, but no major cleaning house sales.
  • Right Stuf International: Great deals all the time, randomly has up to 40% off different companies.
  • Viz Store: Well, they only carry their own stuff, but its cheaper there than at the Sam goody and what not.
  • ANIMEniacs:Has both import and R1 DVDs, be careful of what you buy here!
  • The C&L Internet Club GOOD DVD PLACE FOR CANADIANS!
  • ADV films: They got all their DVDs and a few more live actions shows from the Scfi channel.
  • Anime Castle: Good Selection of DVDs of all types

Manga Sites:Where you should go to pick up your manga!
Merchandise Sites: Apparel, figures, you name it, you can find in at one of these!
Bootleg:
HK(R0) Sites: These are sites that do not sell the real deal, this is bootleg, so if your looking for the real deal look else where. Each site is pretty much the same, shotty merchandise. I wouldnt recommend getting anything from any of them, i would stick to the sites in the R1 bracket.
  • Import Anime: They reviews for most of the R0 DVDs out there, they not longer sell.
  • ANIMEniacs:both R0 and R1 DVDs
  • EZanime: again both R0 and R1 DVDs
  • MEGAnimedvd: only have "Manga International" not to be confused with the US company "Manga Video"
  • Sun Devil DVD: All of your dvd needs, but they are all R0
  • Discount Anime DVD: Has both import and R1 DVDs.

Places to ALWAYS CHECK!
  • Deep Discount DVD: Nothing special for anime, but they have some very good prices.
  • Price Grabbers: Nifty little site searcher that will search different online stores and bring you the results, tells you taxes and shipping that apply.
  • Biz Rate: same as Price Grabbers, but they search some different websites
  • Amazon: I know everybody knows of this, but some times they have REALLY good deals on DVDs, so you should always check here.

And for the general info seekers check out:
  • Anime News Network: for reviews, DVD status, and information on just about anything anime you want to know about.
  • AnimeNFO: Good place for anime descriptions and reviews.
  • AniDB.net: Great place for anime descriptions and reviews.

disclaimer:I nor is GFF associated with any of these groups/companies. I/we have compiled this list in order to help people that might be having trouble get the anime they want and not having to pay MSRP to do so. We promote buying the legal copy of an anime when ever possible.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by aku; Dec 8, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 06:22 PM #2 of 108
You're in one hell of a role, arent you ? ;p But this seems like a good idea. Im tired of getting stuff from ebay. Its the only place where im able to get stuff u.u.

edit: this has to be another good site i believe.

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/

There's nowhere I can't reach.
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 06:48 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 06:48 PM #3 of 108
Originally Posted by chato
You're in one hell of a role, arent you ? ;p But this seems like a good idea. Im tired of getting stuff from ebay. Its the only place where im able to get stuff u.u.

edit: this has to be another good site i believe.

http://www.discountanimedvd.com/
Kinda, but any mod can edit the page if s/he knows somthing that i don't so it shouldnt be hard(and i kinda hope they do!) , i check the sale sites at least once a week, so as long as i remeber that i have this, i can always update it in like 10 seconds . And about DDD, i already have that in the always check part :3

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 06:52 PM #4 of 108
Amazon.com and .ca ALWAYS give a 30% discount on pre-orders. I get all of my R1 anime from there. They also have amazing specials from time to time. E.g. Now and Then, Here and There box set - I paid $25 CDN.

How ya doing, buddy?

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 06:57 PM #5 of 108
Ah i see. but the one up there says Deep Discount and its different from the one i posted. Its all animes not stuff in general.

I was speaking idiomatically.
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 06:59 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 06:59 PM #6 of 108
Originally Posted by chato
Ah i see. but the one up there says Deep Discount and its different from the one i posted. Its all animes not stuff in general.
:-x you posted the ANIME dvd one ;p it is another one of those mixers that i have, but more is better right?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 07:07 PM #7 of 108
I guess. At least now you saved me the trouble in looking for them ;p. In topic related news,the first volume of Air Gear comes out the 25th of July while D.Grayman vol 2 comes out August.

Those are the only 2 I'm looking forward to. Im collecting Death Note but i read the whole thing already so.. .

FELIPE NO
Foshi
Laugh and Grow Fat

Member 3194

Level 13.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:26 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 10:26 PM #8 of 108
Discount Anime DVD.com has two sales going on at the moment. 25% of ADV and 40% of Bandai. It's right there on the home page.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:50 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 10:50 PM #9 of 108
Originally Posted by Foshi
Discount Anime DVD.com has two sales going on at the moment. 25% of ADV and 40% of Bandai. It's right there on the home page.
Thank you for that, but ONTOP OF THAT, they are also having a Geneon and Hentai sale :3

Jam it back in, in the dark.
lstrikealpha
Good Chocobo

Member 9494

Level 15.40

Jul 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:37 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 10:37 PM #10 of 108
I haven't tried any of the store but for books, animeboostore.com is not too bad. they had some good cg

Double Post:
what's the best store for figure regarding price/and shipping?

Last edited by lstrikealpha; Jul 20, 2006 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 05:57 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 04:57 PM #11 of 108
I have to say the best online store for buying anime would be Media Cavern. They have some of the best discounts on individual DVD's and box sets I've ever seen. Be sure to check it out.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Foshi
Laugh and Grow Fat

Member 3194

Level 13.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 06:04 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 06:04 PM #12 of 108
Originally Posted by Synthesis
I have to say the best online store for buying anime would be Media Cavern. They have some of the best discounts on individual DVD's and box sets I've ever seen. Be sure to check it out.
Holy shit. They have the NGE 10th Anniversary Edition for $150!!! Thats $100 off the original price. They even accept PayPal.

Although, it sucks that they don't have manga, wallscrolls, posters, calendars, food, or figures.

Thanks for the site Synth.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Foshi; Jul 21, 2006 at 06:13 PM.
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:15 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 11:15 PM #13 of 108
Originally Posted by Synthesis
Thank you Synthi, updating now ^^

Most amazing jew boots
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:44 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2006, 02:44 PM #14 of 108
Manga int. sale going on at www.rightstuf.com meaning you can get Ghost in the Shell for 40% off! also discount anime dvd is having a to 65% off ALMOST EVERYTHING! the stuff the havin in stock and on that list is being liquidated from their inventory and has to go! pic up dvds for $5.99 in some cases! go check out the sales seccion. Im not oging to post when every sale is, you are going ot have to keep yourselves updated, i will update the first post when i see one

Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2006, 03:32 PM Local time: Nov 8, 2006, 02:32 PM #15 of 108
Media Cavern is currently holding a limited time Super Anime Sale,

Quote:
Super Anime Sale!!

For a Limited Time Only, grab these great titles at Huge Discounts Prices (Up To 80% Off Select Titles)! This Super Anime Sale will end soon! When they're gone, they're gone.
They have got some great individual titles for some great prices. Check it out before it ends.

Media Cavern's Super Anime Sale!!

FELIPE NO
Acacia
Chocobo

Member 1401

Level 12.13

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:58 PM #16 of 108
I didn't see it here (but my eyes are bad...), but alphacraze.com is a INSANE cheap way to get manga. I think they sell anime too, but I'm not sure.

They sell new manga that's like $4-6 dollars cheaper than what you would get from the bookstore or another online company. The best deal with them though, is that their shipping is fuckin' ridiculous. I just bought like $75 dollars worth of manga (13 books) through them, and my shipping?

$3.49

Yeah. It's insane. Although, now that they have their website up, the price went up a whole lot! Still, it beats the competition any day~

The actual process of getting the books is a little tricky. You have to get the ISBN number of the item you want, put it in shopping.yahoo.com, and then click the button that'll say "order from alphacraze.com." Kinda tedious, but totally worth the hassle, if you ask me.

Most amazing jew boots
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 02:42 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2006, 02:42 PM #17 of 108
for those of you that are CCS lovers, here is somthing that might be hard to pass up
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat.../71260/4/153/0
ALL of the series, ALL 18 dvds for 80 USD! HOLY SHIT! anyway...just thought i would elt you know
Im not guna be updating the sales for every single Christmas sale so just look for yourself...this is just somthing thta was one of those hard to pass up things

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 02:51 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2006, 12:51 PM #18 of 108
And for all of those of you who was about to spend $45 for the limited edition releases of EACH of the seven volumes of GITS: SAC 1st season (that's over $300 mind you), why not try to pick it up for a low low price of only $55 at rightstuf for the full season? Sale ends next week, December 21st, I believe.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6.../71237/4/153/0

- What we all do best -
Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:26 AM #19 of 108
Anime Castle is actually pretty good. Has a wide array of stuff to. RIght now they have a Free Shipping thin going on.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

tommyd
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 18141

Level 2.62

Jan 2007

Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:16 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2007, 11:16 AM #20 of 108
here's another one... HUGE selection... average pricing (in CAD$)...

but when they have a sale... it's HUGE!... the whole stock goes for cheap...
might not be as noticable for US customers as it's generally cheaper in the US than in Canada

GREAT for Canadians who want to avoid that ridiculous duty...

www.thecnl.com

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:58 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2007, 08:58 AM #21 of 108
here's another one... HUGE selection... average pricing (in CAD$)...

but when they have a sale... it's HUGE!... the whole stock goes for cheap...
might not be as noticable for US customers as it's generally cheaper in the US than in Canada

GREAT for Canadians who want to avoid that ridiculous duty...

www.thecnl.com
Thanks for the tip! I just added it to the list now we have a place where you crazy Canadians can buy stuff cheap now :P

I was speaking idiomatically.
CLOudkiller
Slacker Extraoridinaire

Member 686

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2007, 01:06 AM #22 of 108
I got quite a few for ya:
Got these info from hongfire.com

HK

Merchandise

http://www.snowsakura.com.hk/ -
A store specializing in mostly anime/game/manga figures. This shop is based in Hong Kong, I'm not sure if they Bootlegged or not, but my friends who happens to be a legit fanatic(one who makes sure they're legit/official figures) bought a few from them and said theyre not half-bad, fast shipping. Accepts Paypal only.

Merchandise
www.hlj.com - Based in Japan. Carries a lot of stuff, models, R/Cs, gundams, dolls, pre-painted figures, resin figures, books/magazines, etc. Their price tends to be a bit higher than Hobby Search (see below) and shipping is slightly higher too. Their web site design is great, their English is very good. So even though they are based in Japan communication is not a problem. Also they offer SAL Surface Air Lift shipping as well as EMS shipping. SAL is much cheaper than EMS but packages sometimes may or may not get the best treatment depend on the postal services. And also SAL take longer to arrive at the destination. EMS on the other hand is more expensive but does offer insurance and tracking. Packages generally gets better treatment. HobbyLink Japan carries reasonable stocks and hot item restock has indicators of when to expect a restock. For pre-order, HobbyLink Japan will not charge your credit card until the item is ready to be shipped out. And due to the time lage of credit card processing, you might not see it until even your next credit card statement. HobbyLink also takes PayPal if you don't have a credit card or do not want to give out your credit card information.

www.1999.co.jp/eng - Based in Japan. They carries models, gundams, figures dolls, and books/magazines. They are generally a bit cheaper on price as well as shipping than HobbyLink Japan. They have a point system which gives you a equivalent of 5% discount on the next purchase (or you can save the points for later purchases). Their English is not that great, but I've learned to understand them okay. They only offer EMS shipping now. So for those wants to use SAL to save shipping they are obviously no longer an option. They don't have that much stocks, so many of the popular items will just get sold out. They do restock some items but then you have to watch out for it. They are perfect if you pre-order and want to use EMS as shipping method. For pre-order, Hobby Search will not charge your credit card until the item is ready to be shipped out. And due to the time lage of credit card processing, you might not see it until even your next credit card statement.

HK Merchandise
www.e2046.com
Based in Hong Kong. A good source for recast resin kits as well as tools/supplies for building models. Their web site does offer a lot of pictures of their products including pieces from the recast resin kits. Judging from those photos of the resin pieces, they are pretty good but since I never purchased resin kits from them I can't tell for sure. Of course being recast kits you can expect the usual excessive flashing on the parts as well as some fitting issues. They offer some pre-painted models. Their new Gathering series is a collection of high quality pre-painted resin figures. The build and paint on the gathering series of pre-painted model is worth every penny. They offer the regular Hong Kong Post and EMS as the shipping options and shipping cost is very reasonable consider they have to ship out of Hong Kong. They have a forum so you can check out what others are saying about them.

www.Hobbyfan.com - Based in USA. Even though HobbyFan carries a bit more stuff now, they are still just mainly good for resin models as well as tools/supplies for model building. They do offer pre-painted resin models and now have a painting service that can paint/assemble just about any model for you (through a 3rd party model builder). They now also offer some PVC and gashaphon figure. Their resin figures are of course recasts, but for the times I purchased from them, their recasts are done quiet well, not a lot of excessive flashing. Of course being a recast, you can expect some flashing, and some minor fitting problem. The resin material used in the casting is good quality white resin. So compare to original kits (which typically would cost you quiet a few times more) the money you saved vs the extra work you have to put is is reasonably justified. Besides, it's quiet hard to get original garage kits. There's only that many options plus Yahoo Japan auction.

These are mostly figure based site, but if you really want those figures, these sites a must look.

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 02:38 AM Local time: Jun 1, 2007, 11:38 PM #23 of 108
Anime Castle is actually pretty good. Has a wide array of stuff to. RIght now they have a Free Shipping thin going on.
A quick note about AC, the only stuff I have ever bought from them were music CDs so I have no idea if any of their other items are as well, but the few times I shopped for CDs there they were nearly all bootlegs. That said, the few orders I placed went smoothly. The whole issue with them is more with each person's own feeling on boots, not their customer service. If you don't mind non-legit, they are a good source for such CDs! Myself, anymore I stick with Play-Asia, YesAsia and CDJapan for imports and CDUniverse, Amazon, RightStuf and Robert's Anime Corner Store for domestic CDs...

Of special note:

There's quite a deal going on over at YesAsia currently for those who like the anime, Gunbuster. The OOP 3CD complete OST is currently available somehow. They must have found extra copies or it was just repressed, though I found it nowhere else. Either way, it was a great find in my view since I had just ordered the single volume 2 CD available at CDJapan and still had time to cancel said order.

Anyway, here's the link for those who might be interested in a copy...

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1003258802/

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by sabbey; Jun 2, 2007 at 02:45 AM.
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 02:52 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2007, 12:52 AM #24 of 108
I should also add that DeepDiscount is having their annual sale where you can get 20% off your order. The sale lasts for two weeks until June 17 (I think). The prices of a few boxed sets over there are low to begin with and getting that 20% discount makes it even better.

Use the code: DVDTALK to activate the discount.

Time for me to nab Infinite Ryvius, PlanetES, and Tylor, with the last one just to make Acer happy.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
Old Jun 2, 2007, 01:38 PM #25 of 108
Nice discount. I think I'll go and nab the rest of the Guu dvds that I'm missing. And you'll be making yourself happy with Tylor. So god damn good.

Additional Spam:
http://www.axelmusic.com/index.php

has some good sales as well - check 'em out

Last edited by FatsDomino; Jun 2, 2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] Buyer's Guide to Anime/Manga/Etc. (plus SALES updates)