Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Steam - Offline mode

Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:07 AM #1 of 7
Steam - Offline mode

My reznet doesn't allow Steam. So I was wondering if there was a way to hack steam to make it automatically offline mode?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:59 AM Local time: Oct 29, 2007, 06:59 PM #2 of 7
All I know is that you can get every major Steam game as a "Steamless" version off the internets. Maybe this is what you're looking for?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:03 PM #3 of 7
I have the games legally already. Just that it wouldn't load unless it's online, but I'll check out the Steamless. Thanks!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2007, 01:43 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2007, 07:43 PM #4 of 7
Can't you just start from the command line with "-steam"?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:52 PM Local time: Oct 29, 2007, 09:52 PM #5 of 7
I was pondering the same problem a few days ago. Here's my solution:

Start Steam whilst not connected to the internet. It'll prompt you about something, select the 'offline mode' option. Eventually it'll bring up the menu.

Try launching your games. You might not be able to. If you can, fine, be happy. If not, connect to an unrestricted connection (this is the annoying part is - if you don't have one, you're screwed) and launch-and-quit each of your games in turn while in online mode.

Now, take your computer offline and try launching them again. Should work.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 29, 2007, 06:16 PM #6 of 7
Damn. I can't even get into offline mode. It says that Steam could not be connected, even for offline mode. wtfux.

How ya doing, buddy?

Phone
If you'd like to make a call...

Member 25821

Level 2.38

Oct 2007

Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:21 AM Local time: Oct 29, 2007, 10:21 PM #7 of 7
Steam is a ridiculous program in this regard. I remember attending a LAN party once where the game of choice was CS:S. Due to the logistics of connecting forty computers together without any substantial connection to the internet, we opted just to go without. As I remember, about half the people had no problem starting Steam in offline mode, and the rest could not get the damn program to do anything.

We weren't able to find a reliable solution that worked for everyone, but things like reinstalling Steam, Counterstrike, graphics drivers and things like that had limited success.

An interesting note is that programs like PeerGuardian effect the way Steam operates in a multitude of ways, so you may want to make sure you don't have something like that going on in the background.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Steam - Offline mode