Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Scary and intimidating accents

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:35 PM Local time: Jun 16, 2009, 06:35 PM #1 of 9
Scary and intimidating accents

Following on from this brief discussion in Bernard Black's journal, it seems as though different people find different voices and accents more intimidating or scary than others. Since for most people, their exposure to exotic accents comes almost exclusively from film and television, I figured Media Spot was the place for this.

So what accents do you find scary or intimidating? Are there any particular actors you think do a good scary voice and any film scenes you think are particularly notable for the bad-ass-ness of the person talking?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2009, 01:31 PM #2 of 9
This movie trailer announcer dude is incredible. Too bad Don LaFontaine has passed away.

I wouldn't had heard of him if it wasn't for this commercial.

YouTube Video

Other than that thought, not that many voices would hit home with me. There's a couple of voices irl that were unnerving, a booming voice to a high pitched one.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Jun 16, 2009, 06:16 PM Local time: Jun 16, 2009, 06:16 PM #3 of 9
German could sound creepy while talking about sunshine and kittens. Sonnenschein und Kätzchen, Sonnenschein und Kätzchen.

I've also always found Peter Stormare and his way of drawn out and then snipped speaking to be disturbing after seeing him grind up his partner in Fargo.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:15 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2009, 10:15 AM #4 of 9
I find two accents in cinema quite disconcerting.

The first is a gangster twang, typified by actor Joe Pesci. I think he's using some kind of New York accent.

The second, ironically enough, is the British accent (though probably not the Cockney variety). As you know, Americans really love using British accents for evil characters

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Hi, My Name Is Hito
A slime draws near!

Member 304

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:33 PM #5 of 9
I have to say, for as bad of a movie as Scream was, the damned voice on the phone scared the piss out of me for years.

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:07 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2009, 09:07 AM #6 of 9
Quote:
The first is a gangster twang, typified by actor Joe Pesci. I think he's using some kind of New York accent.
All I can think about when I hear that accent is yutes.

One of my good friends here was born in Hungary, moved to Germany in middle school, and went to college in England. Somehow he came out of it with the perfect Hollywood Nazi accent.

Most amazing jew boots
Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:25 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2009, 05:25 PM #7 of 9
For me, any voice that modulates from very low to very high pitched gets me on edge. Or low to high volume, I'm a very jumpy person and the unpredictability kills me. But I can't think of one particular accent that is intimidating.

Also, while we're on the subject of voices, I know Vin Diesal's voice is supposed to be all intimidating and stuff...but that low murmur just puts me at ease.

FELIPE NO
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:39 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 08:39 AM #8 of 9
I found this song rather unsettling at the end, at first listen. Of course, the shock wore off on repeated viewings.

YouTube Video

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:33 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2009, 02:33 AM #9 of 9
I was always intimidated by Terrance Stamps voice. It is truly otherworldly. The fortress of Solitude - Jor El/Martha Kent

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] Scary and intimidating accents