Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Your Music Evolution

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 01:47 AM #26 of 35
From Sabbath/Maiden to ICP? Must... resist... get out.. of... thread... ack!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 01:50 AM Local time: May 21, 2006, 11:50 PM #27 of 35
I was basicly raised on classic rock. So I started to like alot of bands from the mid 60s up to the the early 90s (Pre-grunge). My mom and dad played alot of Jethro Tull, Beatles, little feet, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Queen, Eagles, Cat Stevens, Led Zepplin, ZZtop, Tom Petty Fletwood Mac, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Hendrix, Black Sabbath, ETC. between the both of them. Also every time I'd get in the car the classic rock radio station would be on. By Pre-school, I basicly learned most of the bands from that time and yet...I couldn't spell the simplest words.

I really didn't start getting my own taste in music until maybe second grade. Where I actually started getting into the Monkees after seeing the show for the first time in my life :ashamed: . I rarely go back an listion to them now. but back then I was really into them. Then I started to like classic rock again. Mainly the Bettles and Paul Revere and the Raiders....I still like them seeing as how I was raised on them...

Then sometime around age 9 I really got into music and developed my own tastes not based off of what my parents listioned to. In started out soft, then grew into louder bands. Although some of the louder bands I started to like through my dad.

Red Hot chilipepers
The first song I herd was Californiacation. But I remember listioning to them on the radio a few times when I was younger. I still listion to them

Everclear
Rarely listion to them anymore. I'm into more louder stuff now.

Metallica
Stole the black album from my dad. Still like and listion to them them....but only the older albums (before St. Anger).

Incubus
I liked the video for the song Drive. My mom got the album Make yourself and I happned to steal it from her. Still listion to them.

Collective Soul
Basicly found out about them through my mom. Still listion to them.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains
Seeing as how I basicly missed the grunge scene for I was like 3-5 during it's prime, and my mom wasn't into it back then, I started to get into some of the bands in my pre-teens. I still listion to them...alot.

Stone Temple Pilots
Heard Wicked Garden on a Nisan ad. Stole Core from my dad. Still like and listion to them now.

Foo Fighters
Still like and listion to them.

Godsmack
Heard them though my dad, still listion to them.

Days of the new and Tantric
Heard it through my mom. Liked them, still listion them to them from time to time...

White Zombie and Rob Zombie
I liked the songs they played on the radio alot. I still like him...and I sometimes go back an listion to him as well.

NIN and Filter
At first I didn't like NIN. But they grew on me. As for Filter....I was always partial to Hey man nice shot from hearing it on the radio alot. Still like and listion to both of them.

Offspring
I first herd them after a kid in my class swiched a girls backstreet boys tape out with Americana...needless to say...the teacher didn't like it. I still listion to them.

Korn
I don't know what got me into them. I guess they grew on me. I still listion to them, no mater what others say.

Tool and APC
Heard them though my dad. I still like and listion to them.

Beastie Boys
I liked some of their songs. Still like and listion to them.

Good Charlette
Don't ask....I rarely go back and listion to them anymore.

Powerman 5000
I don't know what made me get in to them. But I still like and listion to them.

Lacuna Coil
Heard about them though the radio where a DJ was having a rant about how Evenecence was copying them. Stole Commalities from my dad. Still like and listion to them....

Audioslave
I liked them because I liked both Soundgarden and Rage agenst the machine. Still like and listion to them.

Velvet revolver
Because I liked Guns 'n Roses and STP....Still have been meaning to get their album. But I do listion to them when their on the radio.

L'arc~en~cel, The Pillows, Orange Range, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, UVERworld, high and mighty color, and other Random J-rock bands I heard through anime.
This is what I really like now. American music has sort of taken a back seat for all the new music coming out sort of...how should I put this...sucks. So I opted for foren music. I listion them more then anything now. That's not to say that I don't listion to the above bands anyless. It's just that J-rock just apeals to me more now.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 01:54 AM Local time: May 21, 2006, 11:54 PM #28 of 35
This could take a while, but I'll try, since it would be interesting to see my own musical evolution as well.

Late 1980s to 1993-ish: I was listening mostly to what my Dad played on the radio or on his cassette tapes. He played mostly 80s and 70s music, with Bands like Journey, Led Zeppelin, Chicago, Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, and other such bands. It has stayed with me for a while now, so I still enjoy some of the songs, even if others have grown annoying or unlisteniable.

Around this time I also was watching cartoons on TV, so with the Animanicas, Tiny Toon Adventures, Batman: TAS, etc., I also gained knowledge of They Might be Giants, The Countries of the World Song, Danny Elfman (Although I wouldn't know who made the Batman opening song for years) and other songs played on these cartoon shows.

1995 - 2000: This was my formulative middle-school years and I had a limited knowledge of the internet. It was at this time that I discovered Rap and Hip Hop Music, as well as the Mainstream/Top 40 radio hits. This would explain why I still enjoy acts like Snoop Dogg, 2Pac, Wu-Tang Clan, Xzibit, Busta Rhymes, Goo Goo Dolls, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Santana, Nirvana, and even now loathed acts like Nync, Britney Spears (Aka Trailer Trash), and other Teen Pop acts.

I also was exposed to Pokemon at this time, which while every kid in america at that time was trying to catch it all, I also got my first taste of Japanese Pop Music (The music composed for the game boy games I suppose).

2000-2002: With my increased use of the internet I learned about more music and got my first taste of downloading VGM, including Final Fantasy VII and old school Sonic/Mario songs. However I still was largely unaware of the massive world of music outside what I heard on the radio, such as [/b]Linkin Park[/b], Lil' Jon & the Eastside Boyz, System of a Down, etc.,

It was around this time I joined GFF too, Sophmore year of High School.

2003 - 2004: With drama invading my life, I wanted escape. I found it with my brief usage of DSL internet, but I also got frequent month-long downtimes at which I was away from GFF. The DSL internet allowed me to discover more music, some of which had already been around a long-time, along with emergning bands and genres like Techno, Dance & more VGM.

2005 - Present Day: With High School out of the way and college now a reality, I gained a HUGE jump in knowing about what bands existed and now I have a much larger appreciation and knowledge of the musical world. Major Bands discovered during this period include Amon Tobin, Massive Attack, MF Doom, Nightwish, and others.

I can only hope I discover even more acts in the future and get a large hard drive to hold it all

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Gratch
Not at my post

Member 7140

Level 8.23

May 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 08:15 AM #29 of 35
Originally Posted by Morrigan
LOL. Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Skexis
My interest is piqued. =o

Do you think any of these bands sound like the Diablo soundtrack? I like the instrumental stuff in the game, but if they overlay it with the doom-like vocals (see Type O Negative) it's kind of a turn-off for me.
Not all their stuff sounds like Diablo, but there are a few tracks that I'm pretty sure Blizzard lifted directly. 'The Three Shadows-Part I', 'Hollow Hills', and 'Silent Hedges' come immediately to mind. Bauhaus vocals are anything but 'doom-like'. They took a lot of inspiration from punk and glam rock, so there's none of the deep, menacing vocals you hear in bands like Type O. Peter Murphy is the lead singer, and you might be familiar with some of his stuff ('Cuts You Up', 'Sweetest Drop', etc.)

I'd recommend picking up their greatest hits CD 'Crackle'. It's a good intro and contains most of their best stuff. There's a few glaring omissions (leaving out 'All We Ever Wanted Was Everything' is criminal), but it's a good overview.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Gratch; May 22, 2006 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
maxmontezuma
ClouD

Member 6653

Level 7.08

May 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 08:49 AM Local time: May 22, 2006, 02:49 PM #30 of 35
My musictaste is fucked up... when i was a little boy, i listened to the shit my mum was listening to... like "caught in the act" or "backstreet boys" ... that was because i didn't had an own CD player XD.
then, i listened to rammstein ... from rammstein i switched to eminem o,O... then i switched to some other hip hop shit... then i got from hip hop to trance / hardstyle / hardcore / psychedelic etc. which i still listen to... and rammstein is still one of my favorite bands XD

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 10:04 AM Local time: May 22, 2006, 03:04 PM #31 of 35
Avril Lavigne
We all had to start somewhere right? Well basically I was about 13 or 14..or even 15 and Popstars were dominating the tv and radio. I was pretty much getting bored of pop and r'n'b and wanted to listen to music that actually involved instruments and an artist who wrote their own songs. So being blissfully unaware at the time Avril Lavigne came along and I thought she was amazing. I still respect her as a musician, both of her albums are good and have some good songs on but I moved on to other music quickly.

Evanescence
I was pretty intrigued by recent rock music and I got introduced to Evanescence. It was around the time of the release of the Daredevil film, where they were relatively unknown here. I heard "Bring me to Life" and instantly fell in love with it. I loved the fact that the band had a female vocalist, I always liked when a woman could stand up and do something people tend to think males do better. Amy Lee's vocals just struck me, I remember thinking "THIS is the type of music I want to be listening to" I loved the lyrics, the blend of orchestra with rock, the angelic vocals everything. I looked into everything they've done (which is pretty much old EP's and Demos) and i'm still a huge fan. I even cried when I met Amy Lee =D.

Muse
Since I was showing my Evanescence fangirlism at school, I became friends with a girl (who is now one of best friends) who also liked them. We began talking and she was going on and on about this band called Muse. My knowledge of rock was, and still is, pretty limited so I hadn't heard of any of the bands she was ranting on about. Anyway, she let me borrow Origin of Symmetry and Absolution and from the point I pressed play to the second the albums finished I was hooked. I bought their CD's, DVD's, anything that had Muse on it I had. I loved the music, the lyrics, the vocals, the fact they were British (big up britland) just everything. There wasn't one song I didn't like. They're became my favourite band.

Jack off Jill
Clear Hearts, Grey Flowers was the album that made me a fan. I loved the opening track "When I am Queen", it was so dark and haunting. I never really could tolerate screaming vocals but I got used to them after listening how powerful they could sound in a certain context within a song.

Slipknot
After swearing i'd never ever listen to them or like them, I gave in when I saw them live. I thought they put on an amazing show, and as musicians they are extremely talented and know how to make powerful songs.

Lacuna Coil
Obvious connections to Evanescence, I heard Swamped on tv and loved it. I purchased Comalies and it took a few listens but they became a favourite. I even met them when I saw them live =o.

Nightwish
Since I were a kid I always loved orchestrated music in films, I just loved violins and choirs and all that. When I heard Nightwish for the first time was when I was really into Evanescence and heard Nightwish were Evanescence with talent. So I went on good ol' Kazaa and found The Carpenter. I hated it, and to this day I still hate that song. So on the release of their album "Once" I was hearing reviews that said the album was incredible. I heard it, and was completely blown away. It was perfect, my love of orchestra's, choirs, female vocals and rock music were all bundled into one package. I bought all their albums and saw them live too, i'm interested in the new vocalist although it'll be hard to replace Tarja.

Within Temptation
Fantasy themed, beautiful female vocals, orchestras, what wasn't to like?

Tristania
I saw them perform with Nightwish and I was just hypnotised by them, very dark yet beautiful.

Epica/After Forever
On my hunt to find more bands with the similar symphonic metal genre I found these two beauties.

Kamelot
I discovered these by accident when I was looking for Epica albums, since one of their albums is called Epica, but I'm glad I stumbled upon them.

Eisley/Imogen Heap
I remember ava sending me two albums that she fell in love with, one was Room Noises by Eisley and the other was Speak for Yourself by Imogen Heap. I didn't really give them a proper chance to begin with, but after seeing the lyric "I wasn't prepared for this" in ava's msn screename I felt compelled to check it out. I loved the song, and soon found it was an old EP version. I downloaded the official copy of the album and loved it. Eisley were just so...cute! Their songs were very positive and Stacy and Sherri's vocals were so sweet.
I became to be an Imogen Heap fan when I heard "Hide and Seek", it was different yet beautiful so I gave the full album a listen and became a fan, yay =D.

Some random artists and bands that I discovered over the years:
Bjork
Black Eyed Peas
Blue Oyster Cult
Bullet for my Valentine
Coldplay
Damien Rice
David Bowie
Delerium
Enigma
Flyleaf
Green Day
H.I.M
Hans Zimmer
Harry Gregson Williams
InMe
John Williams
Kelly Clarkson
Kittie
Linkin Park
Lostprophets
Marilyn Manson
My Chemical Romance
Nobuo Uematsu
Pink
Prince
Pussycat Dolls (that's right)
t.A.T.u
The Dresdon Dolls
The Gathering
The Killers
The Prodigy
The Used
Trivium
U2
Utada Hikaru
Visions of Atlantis

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Sian; May 22, 2006 at 10:08 AM.
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 01:05 AM Local time: May 23, 2006, 11:05 PM #32 of 35
The Carpenters
As a kid, my mom adored oldies. Tie a Yellow Ribbon was a staple in our car and she owned every Carpenters cassette there was. She had oldie mix tapes, like with the Platters or the Temptations, Aretha Franklin and others. What I remember is my mom's handwritting on the cassettes detailing the song list, my favorite song ever, Yesterday Once More, always reminds me of her.

The Spice Girls
Starting with an unfortunate infatuation with the Spice Girls, then N'SYNC and the like, I got into the pop scene. Not much to say here, went to middle school, made friends and it was the big music of that era. I even bought the N'SYNC biography book, what shame.

Tupac
Very briefly dabbled in rap and R&B. Tupac was the main attraction but I also got in Jay-Z, Notorious B.I.G., Brian McKnight, Craig David, R. Kelly. Main influence was that my old brother was really into it so I was affected since I would constantly hear California Love pumping out of her room.

David Tao
Went through a huge Asian Pop phase. David Tao, Jay Chou, Landy Wen, Sun Yanzi, Ayumi Hamasaki, M-FLO, Se7en, Shinhwa, G.O.D., BoA, etc. All the big Chinese, Korean and Japanese artist of the time, I explored. The issue was that because music is hard to find online, I had to buy everything and towards the end of this year long obsession, I had upwards of 200 Asian pop CDs, all which I don't listen to now. What a fucking waste of money. I also got into techno (it's around the same sound as Asian Pop) but for the sake of sanity, won't list.

John Mayer
When college started, my music change shifted drastically. It started with a love for John Mayer and Jason Mraz but I futhur explored thtat sort of sound. I'm going to lump artists like Elliott Smith and Andrew Bird here, for fear of being shot, just because I associate their sound somewhat alike. Soft rock, a little emo and angst thrown in and you go these emaciated white boys with guitars. Oh and Ben Lee, love Ben Lee.

Still there. I would like to think all of my previous music interests are still with me, I still listen (sparingly) to the rap, pop, Asian that I used to love but the genres I'm exploring are expanding, hopefully.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
HightopNinja
Ninja in Hightops

Member 2115

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 05:00 AM #33 of 35
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Yeah..I get that alot actually. Hey, can't say much for them. The best corralation I can make is that I was always a fan of storytelling lyrics, hence the jump. I'm not too proud of it, just kind of happened. Many of my friends who are into metal still give me shit about it to this day.

And just to add to the list of musicians I still enjoy:

AC/DC:
Stemmed from my initial steps into metal listening.

Metallica:
How could you grow up in the late eighties/early nineties and not have listened to these guys? Admittidly, I still enjoy their music, even the newer stuff.

Dragonforce:
Very recently got into these guys, probably around January of this year. Love the vocals, love the music, hate the ballads.

Goblin Cock:
I enjoy rocking out to music that makes me feel like a geek.

Eagles of Death Metal:
I heard about these guys when they had the Minibosses touring with them for a short while. Their new album is meh, but the first is incredible.

Monster Magnet:
Powerful lyrics, unique vocals, awesome band.

Del Tha Funky Homosapien:
First heard about this guy while I was in highschool and collecting all things Robotech/Macross. He had a song called "Protoculture" which was all about video games..immediately started listening to him.

Hieroglyphics:
Group consisting of everyone on the Hieroglyphics label, including Del.

Gorillaz:
First heard these guys when they debuted in the U.K., and having Del as part of the group(on the first cd, at least) got me interested, so I downloaded the album before it hit here in the states, then bought that. Very relaxing music. Their new album is pretty damned good.

Static-X:
Used to hate these guys when they first appeared. Not a big fan of the growling lyrics thing..but they grew on me because of a friend who was totally into them.

Bif Naked:
Another Highschool band, I first heard Bif on MTV when her single, "Moment Of Weakness" was getting a little airplay. The new cd is incredible.

Anthrax:
C'mon now..these guys kick ass. Period. First heard them when they did Bring The Noise with Public Enemy.

Def Leopard:
First and only record I ever bought in a store. Pyromania. Still love these guys.

Dance Hall Crashers:
The first concert I ever went to. DHC aren't what I typically listen to, but the duel vocalists compliment each other very well, and I too enjoy whiskey and gin.

Rollins Band:
Another (almost)punk band, pretty much stumbled onto these guys when I was trying out my punk music faze. They're not really punk, but Rollins was the vocalist for Black Flag before this, and they were indeed punk. Regardless, I listen to these guys every now and again.

MF Doom:
Underground rap artist extraordinaire. Geek sheek rolled into soe many tongue twists and rapid fire delivery. Great stuff. Especially his stuff as "Vicktor Vaughn."

Anything Les Claypool:
First, I heard Primus. Then, Les Claypool's Highball with the Devil, then more Primus. Then Fearless Flying Frog Brigade..and so many inbetween. Love the guy. I aspire to be as good a bassist as he, and I surely will never accomplish this task.

Buckethead:
Saw him touring with Primus, and I was working at a music store when "Monsters and Robots" came out. I got the promo copy for that album and never looked back. His stuff in Praxis is incredible, his solo stuff is very out there, and I recommend "Colma" (His entirely accustic album) to everyone I know.

Dj Spooky:
Oddly enough, I heard about this guy in the short-lived Gamer's Republic magazine. They had reviews of music and movies occassionally near the back of the mag. Damned good Dj, even if Dj type music isn't your thing. I believe the first album I got was "The Synthetic Fury E.P."

Vast:
Visual Audio Sensory Theater. Great name for their first album. I stumbled upon this once again because of a magazine..I think it was Alternative Press or some such type publication. Very incredible band, although their first cd is actually a solo effort. John Crosby, the vocalist, did the entire first album by himself. Great stuff right there.

Esham/Natas:
Esham the Unholy. This guy reinvented the Detroit rap scene way back in the day when he was only 14. Incredibly wicked and disturbing visuals created by his earlier music. Natas is a rap group, consisting of Esham, TnT, and Mastermind. Great stuff once again.

Weird Al:
Everyone's heard this guy..but I recommend seeing him live to everyone. Hilarious stage show, and the band and Al sound even better in person then on disc. Just umm..there will be alot of Hawaiian shirts and jerry-curled people..you've been warned.

I still have so many more bands to list..but I'm going to leave it at this for now.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dave Foley is my Hero.

Last edited by HightopNinja; May 24, 2006 at 05:23 AM.
hyper
right past me in dismay

Member 7377

Level 1.02

May 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 04:01 PM Local time: May 24, 2006, 02:01 PM #34 of 35
My first heavy band was Linkin Park (lol) and that lasted quite some time, actually. In fact, it went right up to and a little bit past I got into real metal.

My first real metal band was Dream Theater, thanks to Xanadu (I think that's his name on these forums). I had to write a report on a guitarist and chose John Petrucci because I had heard some samples of his solo stuff and loved it. My transition into Dream Theater's material was only natural. This is still my favorite band.

After DT, I really had no order. I collected as much metal as I could, soon dropping nu-metal entirely. Some of my firsts were Iron Maiden, Grip Inc, Eldritch, Angel Dust, and Ayreon. I was also introduced to Therion and Nightwish at this time, but didn't care much for the vocals.

Soon enough, I decided to give Therion and Nightwish second chances, and ended up loving them both. This led me to looking into Symphony X for some reason.

I continued to gather up more and more metal for my playlist and discovered such bands as Evergrey, Kamelot, Helloween, and Pain of Salvation, all of which have remained on my top bands list. Also during this time I looked into the softer side of progressive music. I discovered Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, and Rush.

My introduction to harsher vocals came with my recommendation to Agalloch. At first, I was skeptical, but I grew to love their album "The Mantle." This also opened up melodic death metal for me, such as In Flames. Since then, I've become a huge fan of such music. Bands like Kalmah, Scar Symmetry, Wintersun, and Ensiferum are all on my playlist.

Still, I wasn't much a fan of one of the best death metal bands out there - Opeth. That changed when I bought their album "Blackwater Park" and heard the song "Bleak." INSTANT LOVE, mostly due to Steven Wilson's contributions. I now listen to Opeth constantly.

That's about where I stand now, I guess.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
fnool²

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Your Music Evolution