Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] FFIV Sequel... yes for cell phones :/

Django!
I'm a little pimp with my hair gassed back

Member 23557

Level 8.57

Jul 2007

Old Dec 17, 2007, 04:41 PM 1 #51 of 83
Again.

Fuck Square. I hope they go under with the increasing development costs.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Frozen Memories
Mein Donnerkeil

Member 26940

Level 8.46

Dec 2007

Old Dec 17, 2007, 05:01 PM #52 of 83
Again.

Fuck Square. I hope they go under with the increasing development costs.
I almost completely agree with that. With all the medicore and rehashes they have been doing, it's really disheartening.

Oh, to the comments about Cecil's character traits.... In my opinion, if you look at a lot of RPGs (particulary old-school ones), most main characters have those traits. I mean... If the main character didn't feel guilty, get himself into trouble one way or another every once and a while, and didn't care about the danger, we wouldn't have about 80% of NES and SNES era RPGs. That, again, is just my opinion though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:12 PM #53 of 83
No memories, I totally agree. Especially in that time period where nintendo games in general were starting to break away from their NES roots (have no idea about genesis games). It's just truth, it's not a bad thing or a good thing, it's just the way it is.

Borg is just butthurt because I am right. Case in point: Cecil going to the moon to kill the root of all of mankind's hatred. The dude is on the moon, you have him running scared as much as anyone's ever going to be. Therefore, I am not trolling and it is you who is trolling.

I was speaking idiomatically.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:28 PM #54 of 83
A direct FFIV sequel? Bad idea. It's not like FFVI where the world needed to be rebuilt after defeating Kefka.

However, one that is generations later is plausible. Yes, it is a cheap way to cash in on the legacy of a great game, but they have been doing that for some time now. And a business IS made to make money, where the opinions (and dollars) of the many outweigh the few (usually).

FFIV, especially given thetime and era of that game. Now, I didn't get to fully appreciate it-I played FFVI first and THEN played FFIV, so I was a bit more spoiled with FFVI. However, the game itself is decent, the storyline is decent, and has been so popular that it was been ported twice (with some additions) and now being remade. Can't argue that.

I dunno if I would like to see this ported to an NDS or PSP. Preferable, I'd rather them just go ahead and wait into the future, until they have 'remade' FFV and FFVI (you know it has to be in the cards), and when (or I guess if) they make some 'sequels' to those games, place them all together as some sort of sequel game to those three. Granted, it would never happen as they would want to get the most out of each game, but with the idea that the sequels themselves would be short and limited (unless they totally remade them), it would seem weak to pay whatever amount for a 10 hour sequel.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by mortis; Dec 18, 2007 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Gah, I mixed up those IV's with VI's a bit...
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:35 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2007, 06:35 PM #55 of 83
mortis reminded me of something: I wouldn't mind playing a FFVI Prequel, detailing that War of the Magi that so gets referenced so much. Make it a Tactics-based game on the PSP, it'll sell very well in Japan, and enough in the US from Old-school fans to break even.

How ya doing, buddy?
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:47 PM Local time: Dec 17, 2007, 08:47 PM #56 of 83
A prequel to FFVI seems a lot more plausible than a sequel. There really would be nothing left to do in a world AFTER Kefka.
I think a prequel would be a best case scenario; Fleshing out the 'War of the Magi' story-line could work fantasticly, not only in creating a new expansion of an intriguing but little mentioned story, but to give greater scope and definition to FFVI as a whole.

To make the battle mechanics like FFT? I wouldn't mind that at all either.

Will any of this ever happen? Probably not. I have absolutely no faith in Square-Enix anymore.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:30 PM #57 of 83
FFVI the sequel: sim city oh or OOH civilization

come on you know it's brilliant.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:30 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2007, 01:30 AM #58 of 83
I don't really care about FFIV but being released for cellphones is a dumb idea. They can't localize it now, since practically nobody bothers with cellphone games (n-gage?).

It's not like they ever had any intention to.

How ya doing, buddy?
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:59 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2007, 07:59 AM #59 of 83
FFVI the sequel: sim city oh or OOH civilization

come on you know it's brilliant.
Heh. Yep, you took the words right out of my mouth, Lurker. I was going to jokingly mention a city simulator in the case of a 'sequel' for FFVI but I found it rather ridiculous at the time. (prolly cuz I was still sober) Strangely enough, it makes more sense now. However, rebuilding the world doesn't seem nearly as exciting as tearing it apart.

Django!

Member 23557

Level 8.57

Jul 2007

Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:30 PM 1 #60 of 83
I almost completely agree with that. With all the medicore and rehashes they have been doing, it's really disheartening.

Oh, to the comments about Cecil's character traits.... In my opinion, if you look at a lot of RPGs (particulary old-school ones), most main characters have those traits. I mean... If the main character didn't feel guilty, get himself into trouble one way or another every once and a while, and didn't care about the danger, we wouldn't have about 80% of NES and SNES era RPGs. That, again, is just my opinion though.
One of the more endearing character traits for Cecil, at least for this gamer, was that the setup for his guilt was a bit more legit. He was lied to, and his actions eventually lead him to killing a poor girls mother, and then the entire town. He was a soldier doing what he was supposed to do by order of the King, and then realizing the consequences of his own actions.

If anything, FFIV was more advanced, character wise, than some of the more recent RPGs. His romantic ties were already well established. He was already a high ranking and powerful character at the beginning of the game, and the first half of the story involves his rejecting that power and starting anew. Unlike some of the later Final Fantasy's, IV's story didn't rely on on a soap opera love story to keep you interested in the characters, it focused on redemption and taking responsibility.

The entire series, save for Tactics, has pretty much been down hill since.

nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:03 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2007, 02:03 AM #61 of 83
One of the more endearing character traits for Cecil, at least for this gamer, was that the setup for his guilt was a bit more legit. He was lied to, and his actions eventually lead him to killing a poor girls mother, and then the entire town. He was a soldier doing what he was supposed to do by order of the King, and then realizing the consequences of his own actions.

If anything, FFIV was more advanced, character wise, than some of the more recent RPGs. His romantic ties were already well established. He was already a high ranking and powerful character at the beginning of the game, and the first half of the story involves his rejecting that power and starting anew. Unlike some of the later Final Fantasy's, IV's story didn't rely on on a soap opera love story to keep you interested in the characters, it focused on redemption and taking responsibility.

The entire series, save for Tactics, has pretty much been down hill since.
I agree with all that you said. The FF series have been going downhill pretty much since the SNES era, except from FF Tactics (to PS1) which is one of my favorite FF games.

And yeah, I've totally lost hope with Square Enix nowadays, they haven't made anything real good in the recent years except Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker which I totally love, but I'm a DQM nut and the DQM games are so simple that it just can't go wrong. And well I have to say the FFT port to PSP was pretty good to with the rewritten dialogue and added CG movies. Dang, I thought I wasn't gonna find anything to bring up, but well anyways, except from those two I can't really think of anything real real good like from the SNES era.

And seriously what the heck is up with these cellphone games!?! The cellphone must be the crappiest "console" ever to play games on. The controls are usually unbearable, the screen is so damn small and the speakers usually suck ass. Why can't they just make it to the DS or PSP which both are real handheld gaming devices?

Django!

Member 23557

Level 8.57

Jul 2007

Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:21 PM #62 of 83
Can me make a distinction between Square and Enix still? I really enjoyed Rocket Slime, and I'll probably pick up Dragon Quest IX when it's released.

Zuare
Chocobo

Member 392

Level 9.00

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:50 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 07:50 PM #63 of 83
Screenshots:

Source.

FELIPE NO
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:39 PM #64 of 83
Is it me or am I seeing 1.) reused graphics (hence the title of the link you gave us) and 2) Cid?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:41 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 03:41 PM #65 of 83
Wow, this is really starting to look like a quick cash-grab. Interest is seriously low now.

Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Dec 21, 2007, 07:45 PM #66 of 83
Is it me or am I seeing 1.) reused graphics (hence the title of the link you gave us) and 2) Cid?
Woah, that's Cecil, Rosa, AND Cid in the second pic. You can also see Theodore at the bottom of the first one; the top guy is simply "Nazo no Otoko" or "Mystery Man". So it really *is* a direct sequel... Unless of course the second screen is a flash-back or something.

FFIV: The Next Generation.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Nall; Dec 21, 2007 at 07:50 PM.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 08:26 PM #67 of 83
Is it me or am I seeing 1.) reused graphics (hence the title of the link you gave us)
Probably on the monsters, I'd have to compare it to the last 2d FF4 remake to know for sure. Which one was that?

Quote:
and 2) Cid?
Cid, Rosa, Cecil, and some schmuck soldier or something with Theodore.

THEODORE?!

Most amazing jew boots
Zuare
Chocobo

Member 392

Level 9.00

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 08:45 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2007, 01:45 AM #68 of 83
It seems those pics were originally from this site and there are more of them:

Spoiler:

Is that Amano artwork new, or from the original?

Last edited by Zuare; Dec 21, 2007 at 08:54 PM.
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Dec 21, 2007, 09:03 PM #69 of 83
Originally Posted by a lurker
Probably on the monsters, I'd have to compare it to the last 2d FF4 remake to know for sure. Which one was that?
FFIV Advance was the last 2D remake.

Originally Posted by Zuare
Is that Amano artwork new, or from the original?
It Looks new to me. That must be Theo at the bottom there, which means he's Cecil and Rosa's *son*, not some distant descendant, which also means the game itself takes place only a few years after FFIV. I wasn't expecting Square to go this deep with a cell phone game, but it looks like this is the real deal FFIV-2.

...And is anyone else getting an "RPG Maker" vibe off these pics?

Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 24, 2007, 01:38 AM Local time: Dec 24, 2007, 12:38 AM #70 of 83
To preserve the tables~

Spoiler:

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet:
  • Obviously a direct sequel -- 17 years after FFIV
  • Will include all the original characters
  • 16-bit 2D Graphic style
  • Is going to be released in chapters with the first being free

They're serious about this. If it will actually turn out the way they want it to turn out no one can really say.

At least you get the first chapter for free!

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 24, 2007, 01:47 AM Local time: Dec 23, 2007, 11:47 PM #71 of 83
FFIV Advance was the last 2D remake.

Unless you mean for FFIV by itself, in which case never mind.

FELIPE NO
Frozen Memories
Mein Donnerkeil

Member 26940

Level 8.46

Dec 2007

Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:20 AM #72 of 83
Oh geez... Rosa looks sick (Plot device anyone?) in that artwork in the mag. Also, Rydia's outfit has lost a few pieces.

It looks like they are actually serious with this. Although the story and FF nametag are immediate ripoffs and are kinda ruining one of the best FF's, it looks like they are actually putting a little more effort into it. Guess we'll never really know though.

So, I'm waiting for the announcement of "The Complilation of Final Fantasy IV", including, but not limited to, a jumping action game involving Kain.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 24, 2007, 12:29 PM Local time: Dec 24, 2007, 11:29 AM #73 of 83
There's already a jumping action game with Kain.

In the form of a mini-game in FFIV DS.

Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Dec 24, 2007, 03:56 PM #74 of 83
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
Unless you mean for FFIV by itself, in which case never mind.
Yeah, just referring to FFIV. Lurker wanted to know if the graphics were from that or the original, but I can't really tell from these pics.

As for the new art, it's actually pretty good (old grizzled Cid in particular), but I still can't get over why this is happening. Why now? Why not 2 years ago when FFIV advance came out? Or seven years ago with FF Chronicles? I think Square just got bitten by the money bug again and decided to make yet another FF its own franchise.

Most amazing jew boots
Frozen Memories
Mein Donnerkeil

Member 26940

Level 8.46

Dec 2007

Old Dec 24, 2007, 05:08 PM #75 of 83
There's already a jumping action game with Kain.

In the form of a mini-game in FFIV DS.
Well, I got pwned.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] FFIV Sequel... yes for cell phones :/