Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:29 PM #501 of 608
Well, I'm vague on the details, but I remember loving the game. And I'm sorry if you took offense to my comments. I'm doubly sorry if you enjoyed the movie.

How ya doing, buddy?
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:38 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 12:38 AM #502 of 608
Originally Posted by SemperFidelis
Well, I'm vague on the details, but I remember loving the game. And I'm sorry if you took offense to my comments. I'm doubly sorry if you enjoyed the movie.
I didn't take offense in your comments, I just think you poorly executed your 'opinion'.

How ya doing, buddy?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:38 PM #503 of 608
Originally Posted by SemperFidelis
I'm doubly sorry if you enjoyed the movie.
I'm sorry you have the IQ of a retard who had his brains dashed out on some rocks but I don't disagree with your fate.

FELIPE NO
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:50 PM #504 of 608
I thought Mr. Marine there was gone for good. I was wrong.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 09:27 PM #505 of 608
My thoughts on the film. Cons out of the way first. Dialogue was serviceable, but I didn't find it cheesy. Acting was around the same level, in spots, it could be bad. Rose and Cybil have no chemistry. The little girl actress needed less lines.

Spoiler:
When Rose was being filled in on the backstory, if they really couldn't of found another way to fit this information in, they could of done without a voice over and let Alyssa show Rose what happened via full flashbacks.

And that's it. Other than that, the film was great. It was directed well, it looked amazing, was paced well, it was tense, it was subtle, it was detailed. And unlike some who are a little miffed about certain switch ups, I think the adaptation of the plot was handled spectacularly.

Spoiler:
It makes the themes and overtones of the film stronger to make the cult god fearing in the more traditional way. It really does add a layer and a half to have them stuck in a hell of there own making, the devil of that world holding the power over that world instead of the god they call upon to save them, and seemingly, the devil is right in her cause.

This was such a change for the better over birthing a dark god via a child through ritual.

I thought the finale was amazing. It was a sight to behold.

All in all, what this movie is really about, the imagery and the atmosphere, that's delivered in spades. The rest of the trappings have there problems here and there, but are not near as bad as some are making it out to be. I'd give it a letter grade of B. I can see myself heading to the theater to see it a second time.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:37 AM #506 of 608
Originally Posted by Dr. Uzuki
I thought the finale was amazing. It was a sight to behold.
Totally awesome / Pure ninja gold?

I have to disagree on the subtlety thing. Silent Hill was the furthest thing from subtle.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:44 AM #507 of 608
I do think that a great addition to the finale would have been:

Spoiler:
...the cult members who were running towards the front door to have escaped, only to meet Pyramid Head and dozens of the different armless acid-spitting monsters from before.

Basically, I felt the finale had too many humans, and no monsters. I don't consider rape tentacles/barbed wire to be a Silent Hill monster.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:45 AM #508 of 608
Originally Posted by JazzFlight

Spoiler:
...the cult members who were running towards the front door to have escaped, only to meet Pyramid Head and dozens of the different armless acid-spitting monsters from before.
Agreed. Would have been much cooler that way. I was expecting that to happen and it didn't. Oh well, I was pleased either way.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 01:01 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 10:01 PM #509 of 608
Spoiler:
I'm not praising the ending because of its graphic nature, but it was exactly what the film needed to close the book. A reckoning. The image of a disfigured child wielding barb wire like angel wings from a hospital bed is a place not a lot of filmmakers or studios would go. Watching the few who had a fearful respect of Alyssa bold open eyed at the massacre unfolding, terrified at who would be their savior, it was compelling stuff.

Quote:
I have to disagree on the subtlety thing. Silent Hill was the furthest thing from subtle.

Er, well, I guess you caught me throwing adjectives at the wall to see what would stick. Yeah, it wasn't subtle, but it did have a few nice touches.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Dr. Uzuki; Apr 23, 2006 at 01:06 AM.
kupomog
you’ve been naughty

Member 705

Level 16.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 03:14 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 10:14 PM #510 of 608
Not much surprise in my thoughts on the movie here. I pretty much completely agree with what SOLDIER said.

Everything from the moment Rose stepped into Silent Hill 'til the "congratulations" crap was utterly great. I ended up liking Cybil more than Rose, I think...too bad about what happens. Really didn't like that scene, felt unnecessary, and it just sucked to see that happen to her.

I think I laughed at some inappropriate times in the theater :x Like almost any time a monster appeared, I let out a chuckled. I don't know if it was just a nervous habit or what...my mom did the same. I was hoping the movie would be a little more...scary. But for the parts that were in the movie, I definitely felt a sense of anxiety for Rose to get away (or just for her to get her ass moving, what's with standing and watching The Janitor for however long she did before even attempting to escape?).

I wish they would've saved that flashback stuff for Chris to find or something...it was just so awkward with the way they handled it. I wanted to say "what the hell is this...?" while it was going on.

Anyway, I still would definitely like to go see this movie again. I did actually like it regardless of pretty much hating everything that happened in the end at the church. Easily my favorite video game to movie adaptation. It's not perfect, but it's just good enough for me. The atmosphere, the monsters (my mom immediately mentioned "Thriller" when those nurses started walking)...makes me want to play the first 3 games again.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 05:01 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 02:01 AM #511 of 608
Okay, I have to ask, what's the joke I'm missing? What's to laugh at in this film? I don't see how the subject matter or execution was so obviously unintentionally hilarious. I was in a full theater. There was no one chuckling. How is lack of both maturity and the willingness to suspend your disbelief for fantastical premise the fault of the film and not the audience?

An imdb poster put this quite well.

Quote:
There's kind of a Catch-22 going on in terms of complaints with the movie. On one hand, people are saying that the film was too long and "drawn out." On the other hand, people criticize the movie for lacking vital elements of the video game, demanding more "character development"(which, of course, would have lengthened the movie).

Both arguements are entirely unreasonable. The people who couldn't sit still through a 2 hour movie shouldn't have come in the first place. These are generally the type of guys who pay $15 to see an 80-minute zombie gore splash and yell "Sweet" at every execution scene. And the guys who're complaining about missing aspects of the game; what exactly are you expecting? No person can shove the content of 3 or 4 games into the span of 2 hours, and I think the director did a great job creating a vivid storyline and a entrancing world. There was absolutely nothing confusing about what happened in the movie. As an outsider, I can attest to the lucidity of the plot.

FELIPE NO

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 05:11 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 10:11 AM #512 of 608

Spoiler:
Very much agreed, as this was exactly what I was expecting to happen. Sadly it didn't, but yeah, the ending worked as it was.

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:10 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 01:10 PM #513 of 608
Originally Posted by LeHah
Care to name a couple?
Discworld Noir, Grandia, Shenmue, Grim Fandango, Metal Gear Solid, Leisure Suit Larry, Psyhconauts.

Also Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 on NES...

Quote:
Main characters HAVE to be static. A player has to be able to emote themselves through the character - otherwise you're just watching something. You can't play a game where the player is Jack Nance in Eraserhead though I'd love to see the attempt.
Yes, I am just watching something. The games that I like mostly have pretty strict plot boundaries; I don't have much freedom at all. I prefer it that way, and that's also probably why I prefer console RPGs over PC ones (though Planescape: Torment and Fallout are great). I don't need my games to be terribly intricate, I don't want them to be my second life where I make my own choices. It's more fun to just follow an interesting story for a couple of hours, with higher level of interactivity than if I were to just watch a movie.

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
kupomog
you’ve been naughty

Member 705

Level 16.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:55 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 01:55 AM #514 of 608
Originally Posted by Dr. Uzuki
Okay, I have to ask, what's the joke I'm missing? What's to laugh at in this film? I don't see how the subject matter or execution was so obviously unintentionally hilarious. I was in a full theater. There was no one chuckling. How is lack of both maturity and the willingness to suspend your disbelief for fantastical premise the fault of the film and not the audience?
Jeez, I wasn't meaning that I was laughing because something was so horribly executed that I found it to be laughable. I'm very much willing to suspend my disbelief, otherwise I wouldn't play any video games, let alone something like Silent Hill. It wasn't about things being unintentionally funny, or about things being the film's "fault." It's not like I started cackling when Christabella got her's. There's a reason I say it was inappropriate to laugh, the things happening on screen usually weren't funny, but I still couldn't help chuckling a bit...why? I don't know. Some stuff the whole audience laughed at which I thought were supposed to be funny, like the timing of "Ring of Fire" with its lyrics about things burning, Cybil's WTF reaction in the school, Sharon and Cybil at the gas station...and for some reason a lot of people laughed when Anna came pouncing through the whole in the wall of the hotel. The only other times (the inappropriate times) I and some other people laughed were when recognizable monster appeared, and for me, it was like a combination of "oh shit there's a monster..." nervous chuckle and "damn, that's so perfect" appreciative laugh. I did the same thing when I played SH2 for the first time and I ran into Pyramid Head in that underground cavern thing and he scared the living daylights out of me.

When I said I hoped it'd be more scary, I wasn't coupling that with the laughing. I just meant I wished (or maybe expected) there were more moments of uncomfortable atmosphere, tension, etc. I just didn't feel a huge sense of urgency or anxiety at any given point, but like I already said, I thought that what was in there was pulled off wonderfully, so it doesn't bug me that the movie didn't creep me out as much as the games did because ultimately, I enjoyed it.

Last edited by kupomog; Apr 23, 2006 at 07:21 AM.
makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:54 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 06:54 AM #515 of 608
Spoiler:
I loved that uncomfortable scene where Rose pulled the thing out of the Janitor's mouth. I wished to see some more scenes of that.
I remember seeing some scans of Pyramid head holding a skinless, bloody body. Would have been cool if he was dragging that corpse around.
Instead of the white "congratulations" scene and old film quality flashback, they could have at least done it with ghost characters like in SH1's flashbacks of Alessa's past.
Also, it was so predictable that that single drop of Rose's blood from the knife would cause all hell to break loose. They should have let her bleed a bit more as if she really died, and then let the puddle of blood to transform the place into hell.
And I agree with everyone that they should have brought back Pyramid Head and gang to slaughter everyone slowly, Hellraiser style. Seeing people getting hacked is sicker than just blowing up into a bloody mist.

EDIT BY JAZZFLIGHT: Added spoiler box.

Last edited by JazzFlight; Apr 23, 2006 at 12:18 PM.
Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:07 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 09:07 AM #516 of 608
Striped, buddy, there are things called spoiler tags...I'm sure people that haven't seen the movie yet might want you to use em. Just common courtesy.

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:22 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 11:22 AM #517 of 608
Could somebody 'SPOIL' the retard up there!

Double Post:
Box-Office estimates for the Week-End are 20.1 Million dollars. Not bad. Even if it drops by, say, 40% next week, it'll probably make back it's 45 Million dollars budget. And that's not even the gross World-wide.

So, I'm pretty confident about a sequel.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by SketchTheArtist; Apr 23, 2006 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 01:30 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 10:30 AM #518 of 608

Spoiler:

Basically, I felt the finale had too many humans, and no monsters. I don't consider rape tentacles/barbed wire to be a Silent Hill monster.
I agree, if only because the movie coulda used more cowbe...Pyramid Head.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 01:44 PM #519 of 608
Why are people so obessed with Pyramid Nerd.

He shouldn't even be in the film since the James isn't.

FELIPE NO
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 01:49 PM #520 of 608
Was it explained in SH2 then that Pyramid Head was infact only a manifestation of James' version of hell?

Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 01:55 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 10:55 AM #521 of 608
Pyramid Head is a manifestation of the town's old executioners. James sees them because he remembers that painting in the Historical Society from his last visit and it freaked him out -- PH isn't specifically tied to James.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:02 PM #522 of 608
Originally Posted by Megalith
Why are people so obessed with posting stupid ass shit.

I shouldn't even be in this thread since people can't stand me.
Correct for fact

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:02 PM #523 of 608
Pyramid Head is pretty much James' villain. Maybe other people in Silent Hill have/do/will see Pyramid Head, but Pyramid Head really only belongs in Silent Hill 2. He really only exists to punish those who are extremely guilt-ridden, such as James.

Silent Hill is extremely ambiguous as far as what is and what isn't. Like I said before, each Silent Hill game has had a similar-but-different look to it, especially regarding the alternate worlds. In the end, Silent Hill is pretty much seen as the protagonist sees it, even if there is a universal basis for evil lurking underneath everything.

The only reason Pyramid Head was in Silent Hill is because everyone goes apeshit for him and he was truly a great villain. If Walter Sullivan had happened to be the coolest SH villain I'm sure they would have thrown him in the movie instead. I still don't feel Pyramid Head belongs in Silent Hill, but I think we were all willing to let it slide because he is extremely cool.

Or he was.

Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:03 PM #524 of 608
I found that finale with the barbwire rape scene to be fucking great though even if it isn't "Silent Hill" type of stuff.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:03 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 02:03 PM #525 of 608
Originally Posted by Megalith
Spoiler:
Ok, so what happens at the end. They are trapped in their version of Silent Hill, or what.

Also, why did they burn Alessa. What was her sin.

Spoiler:
1. That's what I got out of it. Silent Hill has come back with them. But I'm not entirely sure on this myself, so maybe someone else could fill me in.
2. She's a bastard child, born out of wedlock, and they're very angry people.

Am I the only one who liked seeing a more human side of Dahlia? I would have liked to have seen more of her, actually.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie