Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 02:04 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 04:04 PM #476 of 608
Originally Posted by Aardark
It was very well done in Half-life, yes. I'm just saying that it's not a universal rule, is all.
Oh definitely, but it gets to a point of being over-saturated with games featuring 'bad-asses' with horribly written dialogue where you just want to turn the volume down.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 02:14 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 11:14 AM #477 of 608
It's not either or though, bad ass or blank slate. Henry could of had some sort of personality, would of been nice.

I was speaking idiomatically.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 04:10 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 04:10 PM #478 of 608
Yeah it was alright. Should have just stuck with the original story really. And I agree with Megalith, why couldn't they have used some of the better Silent Hill music instead of the same thing 900 times.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 04:24 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 06:24 PM #479 of 608
Originally Posted by BZ
Yeah it was alright. Should have just stuck with the original story really. And I agree with Megalith, why couldn't they have used some of the better Silent Hill music instead of the same thing 900 times.
They used one song as a sort of 'theme' for the picture. That's why this specific track came more often.

FELIPE NO
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 04:42 PM #480 of 608
Originally Posted by Aardark
Almost all my favourite games have very distinct main characters with their own 'personalities', and I don't necessarily identify myself with them in any way.
Care to name a couple?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
rossbarney2003
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5362

Level 2.12

Apr 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 05:01 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 11:01 PM #481 of 608
I wonder if they will try to turn the "Theme Tune" for Silent Hill into club mixes for nightclubs like they did for Brokeback Mountain. That would be interesting, lol.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 06:17 PM #482 of 608
Originally Posted by LeHah
This makes it an exceptionally well-done game. The main characters are suppose to be plain, boring, nondescript people so the player can emote and interact with the game.

While Silent Hill 4 does take this a bit far, the rule stands for all games. You can't attach a gamer to a character they cannot understand.
So a game gets extra points by not writing an actual protagonist, okay.

No, wait, what? Where do you get this stuff from?

If you have a game with a deep plot there simply has to be a character that you can empathize with in some type of way during their journey. This is true with any good story or it is not a good story.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 06:19 PM #483 of 608
So I heard that Sean Bean is going to star in the Silent Hill sequel in order to find his wife and child, and his fight scene with Pyramid Head will be choreographed by Yuen Wo-ping.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 06:33 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 05:33 PM #484 of 608
Originally Posted by Megalith
So I heard that Sean Bean is going to star in the Silent Hill sequel in order to find his wife and child, and his fight scene with Pyramid Head will be choreographed by Yuen Wo-ping.
filth and lies!

Most amazing jew boots
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 06:37 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 03:37 PM #485 of 608
Originally Posted by Megalith
I found a movie poster for this earlier. Looks pretty realistic to me.

makura
!

Member 337

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 06:44 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 05:44 PM #486 of 608
That guy looks like a samurai to me. Looks Photoshop to me..

hrmm.. a samurai in Silent Hill..

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 06:54 PM #487 of 608
Hey, I'd watch it.

FELIPE NO
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:21 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 04:21 PM #488 of 608
Here's a quote I found on IGN regarding the sequel to Silent Hill, from Christophe Gans himself:

Originally Posted by IGN
"It's difficult to say now, because I am right in the process. It's difficult for me to say it will be absolutely like the game (Silent Hill 2). I hope it's going to be as scary… I'm doing everything for that. At the same, it difficult because we know that the game is not only great imagery, it's also the sound. The sound is amazing in the game. And the music…spectaculariffic."

Gans went on to ensure some continunity between the two films: "Sean Bean's character will visit Silent Hill once more and, as some fans have suspected, will play the role of James from Silent Hill 2. As you can see from this movie poster (an early draft), we've taken liberties with James' attire and weaponry. He's prepared for whatever Silent Hill may present. Avary submitted a rough draft of the sequel's script last week and we're currently throwing a bunch of ideas around. We definitely want more of the Red Pyramid, but there's also the possibility of overdoing it a bit. You know, pleasing the fans and ourselves with a certain character can kill what made him cool in the first place."

Most amazing jew boots
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:34 PM #489 of 608
Do you have a link to that interview?

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:46 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 09:46 PM #490 of 608
It's a joke.

Skëtch's DVD Collection!
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:21 PM #491 of 608
Figured. Lame.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:54 PM #492 of 608
Originally Posted by Eleo
So a game gets extra points by not writing an actual protagonist, okay.
Well, heres an example. Ever play Wing Commander III?

Here you have Mark Hamill (!) as the main character Christopher Blair. Blair interacts with all these characters in the game - you have Maniac who's the obligatory "crazy" person, you have two love interests, you have Cobra as the person whos a bigot, you have the idealistic youth with Vaquero...

But Blair lacks any personality himself. Sure, he's there and he interacts with the world around him. But nothing happens to Blair. Nothing in the story really affects him - even when you find out your best friend from the last game + two add-ons is a traitor, you get a *choice* as to if you seek revenge or not. How... clinical.

Main characters HAVE to be static. A player has to be able to emote themselves through the character - otherwise you're just watching something. You can't play a game where the player is Jack Nance in Eraserhead though I'd love to see the attempt.

Originally Posted by Eleo
If you have a game with a deep plot
Since when do games have "deep plots"? They may have more obtuse plots than most games but I've never seen a Playstation game handle something like War And Peace. Even my all time favorite game Final Fantasy Tactics isn't "deeply plotted".

Perhaps you meant "detailed" and I'm misreading?

SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:08 PM #493 of 608
I AM THoroughly disappointed. Bad cast, bad script, clusterfucked plot, it was just fucking vile. It was a shitty horror movie, but it was a golden comedy. I just couldn't take the substandard shit seriously and laughed the whole time. Best part was the scene with the hot, dead, scapel nurses. NO CONTEST.
The only thing I recognized from the game in the movie were the MAPS....

I think Final Fantasy Tactics had a very intricate and involved plot. Plenty of character development, events common to the time, and a gripping storyline. I think it'd be an amazing idea if they made a Final Fantasy Tactics movie and FOLLOW the FUCKING GAME as the script.

"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."

Last edited by SemperFidelis; Apr 22, 2006 at 09:11 PM.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:18 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 11:18 PM #494 of 608
Originally Posted by SemperFidelis
The only thing I recognized from the game in the movie were the MAPS....
You lose all credibility.

Skëtch's DVD Collection!
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:33 PM #495 of 608
I only played Silent Hill on the playstation. Remember the random signs and maps on the streets?

FELIPE NO
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:41 PM #496 of 608
I trivial detail I eyed in the movie that was actually part of the game, but it doesn't matter much.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:52 PM #497 of 608
Originally Posted by Kurado
I found a movie poster for this earlier. Looks pretty realistic to me.

heheh, someone add an elf and a dwarf.

SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:03 PM #498 of 608
yeah it's been a while since I played silent hill on the playstation. Probably around 2000. However, it doesn't take away the fact that the movie was sacrilege to silent hill fans.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:06 PM #499 of 608
I think Final Fantasy Tactics had a very intricate and involved plot. Plenty of character development, events common to the time, and a gripping storyline. I think it'd be an amazing idea if they made a Final Fantasy Tactics movie and FOLLOW the FUCKING GAME as the script.
You embody everything that is wrong with the internet.

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:12 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 12:12 AM #500 of 608
yeah it's been a while since I played silent hill on the playstation. Probably around 2000. However, it doesn't take away the fact that the movie was sacrilege to silent hill fans.
How can you say that when you only played the first one a few years ago and barely remember it. You're a farce.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie