Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] Osama Bin Laden was killed yesterday in a CIA operation in northern Pakistan

LZ
What I'm out for is a good time. All the rest is propaganda.

Member 71

Level 19.91

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 01:12 PM #1 of 21
Osama Bin Laden was killed yesterday in a CIA operation in northern Pakistan

Thought you all should know

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/wo...killed.html?hp

Quote:
Bin Laden Is Dead, Obama Says
By PETER BAKER, HELENE COOPER and MARK MAZZETTI
WASHINGTON — Osama bin Laden, the mastermind of the most devastating attack on American soil in modern times and the most hunted man in the world, was killed in a firefight with United States forces in Pakistan on Sunday, President Obama announced.

In a late-night appearance in the East Room of the White House, Mr. Obama declared that “justice has been done” as he disclosed that American military and C.I.A. operatives had finally cornered Bin Laden, the leader of Al Qaeda, who had eluded them for nearly a decade. American officials said Bin Laden resisted and was shot in the head. He was later buried at sea.

The news touched off an extraordinary outpouring of emotion as crowds gathered outside the White House, in Times Square and at the ground zero site, waving American flags, cheering, shouting, laughing and chanting, “U.S.A., U.S.A.!” In New York City, crowds sang “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Throughout downtown Washington, drivers honked horns deep into the night.

“For over two decades, Bin Laden has been Al Qaeda’s leader and symbol,” the president said in a statement broadcast around the world. “The death of Bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nation’s effort to defeat Al Qaeda. But his death does not mark the end of our effort. There’s no doubt that Al Qaeda will continue to pursue attacks against us. We must and we will remain vigilant at home and abroad.”

Bin Laden’s demise is a defining moment in the American-led fight against terrorism, a symbolic stroke affirming the relentlessness of the pursuit of those who attacked New York and Washington on Sept. 11, 2001. What remains to be seen, however, is whether it galvanizes Bin Laden’s followers by turning him into a martyr or serves as a turning of the page in the war in Afghanistan and gives further impetus to Mr. Obama to bring American troops home.

How much his death will affect Al Qaeda itself remains unclear. For years, as they failed to find him, American leaders have said that he was more symbolically important than operationally significant because he was on the run and hindered in any meaningful leadership role. Yet he remained the most potent face of terrorism around the world, and some of those who played down his role in recent years nonetheless celebrated his death.

Given Bin Laden’s status among radicals, the American government braced for possible retaliation. A senior Pentagon official said late Sunday that military bases in the United States and around the world were ordered to a higher state of readiness. The State Department issued a worldwide travel warning, urging Americans in volatile areas “to limit their travel outside of their homes and hotels and avoid mass gatherings and demonstrations.”

The strike could deepen tensions with Pakistan, which has periodically bristled at American counterterrorism efforts even as Bin Laden evidently found safe refuge on its territory for nearly a decade. Since taking office, Mr. Obama has ordered significantly more drone strikes on suspected terrorist targets in Pakistan, stirring public anger there and prompting the Pakistani government to protest.

When the end came for Bin Laden, he was found not in the remote tribal areas along the Pakistani-Afghan border where he has long been presumed to be sheltered, but in a massive compound about an hour’s drive north from the Pakistani capital of Islamabad. He was hiding in the medium-sized city of Abbottabad, home to a large Pakistani military base and a military academy of the Pakistani Army.

The compound, only about a third of a mile from the academy, is at the end of a narrow dirt road and is roughly eight times larger than other homes in the area, but had no telephone or Internet connections. When American operatives converged on the house on Sunday, Bin Laden “resisted the assault force” and was killed in the middle of an intense gun battle, a senior administration official said, but details were still sketchy early Monday morning.

The official said that military and intelligence officials first learned last summer that a “high-value target” was being protected in the compound and began working on a plan for going in to get him. Beginning in March, Mr. Obama presided over five national security meetings at the White House to go over plans for the operation and on Friday morning, just before leaving Washington to tour tornado damage in Alabama, gave the final order for members of the Navy Seals and C.I.A. operatives to strike.

Mr. Obama called it a “targeted operation,” although officials said one helicopter was lost because of a mechanical failure and had to be destroyed to keep it from falling into hostile hands.

In addition to Bin Laden, three men were killed during the 40-minute raid, one believed to be his son and the other two his couriers, according to an American official who briefed reporters under White House ground rules forbidding further identification. A woman was killed when she was used as a shield by a male combatant, the official said, and two others wounded.

“No Americans were harmed,” Mr. Obama said. “They took care to avoid civilian casualties. After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body.” Muslim tradition requires burial within 24 hours, but by doing it at sea, American authorities presumably were trying to avoid creating a shrine for his followers.
I'm sure some of you are pleased by this news. It would have been perfect if he had been captured and taken as a POW but I guess if he's going to shoot an AK at soldiers then oh well.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by LZ; May 2, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 01:30 PM Local time: May 2, 2011, 07:30 PM 3 1 #2 of 21

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 04:17 PM Local time: May 2, 2011, 10:17 PM #3 of 21
I can't wait to see what conspiracy theories are going to grow out of this. I might start one that the announcement was timed to cover the fact that the US Supreme Court just banned class action lawsuits, thereby removing any chance consumers might once of had for taking large corporations to court.

Also looking forward to the video of Osama Bin Laden holding tomorrow's newspaper coming out during the week.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 05:26 PM Local time: May 2, 2011, 05:26 PM 1 3 #4 of 21
We all need to be thanking Jack Bauer right now.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 06:35 PM #5 of 21
All of this just reminds me of the movie Wag The Dog.

Next.

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 07:28 PM Local time: May 2, 2011, 06:28 PM #6 of 21
So you think this whole thing was orchestrated by a hollywood film producer teamed up with a spin doctor to take away attention from the fact that the president may or may not have molested a girl guide in the white house?

That seems a little tin foil hat there, LeHah.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 07:57 PM Local time: May 2, 2011, 05:57 PM 4 #7 of 21

FELIPE NO
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 09:09 PM Local time: May 2, 2011, 08:09 PM #8 of 21
Let this be a lesson to each of you: helicoptor > tall fence.

Most amazing jew boots
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 09:16 PM #9 of 21
Yes russ, but tall fence > Pakistani security forces (if you're willing to believe that they had no clue bin Laden was in a suburb of their capital, hundreds of yards from a military academy).

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2011, 11:56 PM #10 of 21
So you think this whole thing was orchestrated by a hollywood film producer teamed up with a spin doctor to take away attention from the fact that the president may or may not have molested a girl guide in the white house?

Between this and the PSN thing it's becoming clear that LeHah finds the entire world uninteresting, and isn't afraid to let us know how wrong we are for caring about things.

Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 01:54 AM Local time: May 2, 2011, 11:54 PM #11 of 21
The burial at sea is going to fuel conspiracy theories for the rest of our lives.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 02:07 AM Local time: May 3, 2011, 12:07 AM #12 of 21
As I said before:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Most amazing jew boots
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 06:52 AM #13 of 21
Thats awful literal for you.

Basically, its just that I don't see this as some kind of victory. Terrorism was solely with Bin Laden? That would be like saying the entire American government was destroyed when Kennedy was assassinated.

I mean, I guess its nice but... well, why give a shit? Is this going to lower gas prices? Is this going to fix overplanted fields? Is this going to do any number of things to fix quality of life outside of a constant media-fueled paranoia about some dude who was hiding from the entire fucking world inside of a compound?

I just can't get excited that a fundamentalist figurehead is dead.

Between this and the PSN thing it's becoming clear that LeHah finds the entire world uninteresting, and isn't afraid to let us know how wrong we are for caring about things.
Nah, you're just caring about the wrong things.

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; May 3, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
LZ
What I'm out for is a good time. All the rest is propaganda.

Member 71

Level 19.91

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 09:38 AM #14 of 21
You can think of it as a victory inasmuch as the U.S. killed the leader of an organization that declared open war on it. No it didn't stop terrorism, but with the popularity of al Qaeda already on the decline, the death of Osama — however symbolic his leadership may have been — surely has a huge negative impact on the group's activities. And no it doesn't have much impact on day-to-day life for most people, but given that he had a heavy hand in the death of thousands of Americans and was behind the biggest fucking deal so far this millennium, you could probably see why it's news.

Most amazing jew boots
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 02:10 PM Local time: May 3, 2011, 08:10 PM 2 #15 of 21
As a moral and symbolic victory, I think it's fair enough that Americans go a bit flag-wavy over this but the death of Bin Laden will have exactly zero effect on world terrorism, except perhaps providing a martyr figure for the recruiters to play on. There seems to be this weird idea in certain parts of the US media that Al Quaida is some kind of Bond villain-esque group of super criminals, all with some sinister, overreaching plot to destroy the West and that by killing Bin Laden, you've stopped the evil mastermind behind everything. The reality is that Al Quaeda isn't an organisation as such, it's a cause for individual groups of terrorists to affiliate themselves to. Like the IRA back in the day, the terrorists operate as individual cells who don't know each other and act almost entirely autonomously. They share resources like bomb making lessons online but beyond that, it's highly doubtfull that there's any form of senior organisation that's telling them all what to do.

With his movements so obviously limited and with little in the way of communication capability in and out of his hut, chances are Bin Laden's done fuck all in the way or terrorism planning for years. Killing him isn't going to stop people wanting to blow shit up and trying to blow shit up. What's been far more effective is security forces across the world getting a better idea of what kind of domestic terrorist tries to blow shit up and stopping them before they manage it.

Knocking off Bin Laden is going to be great for reducing the US public's war weariness and will probably see Obama walk into a second term though. It might also mark the beginningof a pull-out of Afganistan, perhaps the death of Bin Laden is the first step in a move to pull out and claim victory rather than admit that you've achieved basically nothing since the initial invasion?

FELIPE NO
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 02:25 PM #16 of 21
perhaps the death of Bin Laden is the first step in a move to pull out and claim victory rather than admit that you've achieved basically nothing since the initial invasion?
Admitting failure is never going to happen, so if the alternative is "run away while looking really proud" that's better than sticking to the current stupid course.

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 02:27 PM Local time: May 3, 2011, 01:27 PM #17 of 21
Thats awful literal for you.
That's because it was a joke.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 02:37 PM #18 of 21
That's because it was a joke.
This is what happens to me when I haven't had a cup of coffee in a month.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2011, 06:39 PM Local time: May 3, 2011, 05:39 PM #19 of 21
Have you considered taking up cigarettes?

Most amazing jew boots

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2011, 05:09 PM Local time: May 5, 2011, 03:09 PM #20 of 21
Supposedly they will release the photos when all the buzz winds down, which probably means years from now. Obviously sometime after the election.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2011, 08:29 PM #21 of 21
Or we could just wait for WikiLeaks to do it.

Tags
got that nigga, owned, usa is dominate

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > [News] Osama Bin Laden was killed yesterday in a CIA operation in northern Pakistan