Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Virginia Tech Shooting: At least 33 Fatalities

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:38 PM #1 of 191
Virginia Tech Shooting: At least 33 Fatalities

I think I have an obligation to post this one, since I am a Virginia Tech Student:

Quote:
More than 20 people dead in Virginia Tech shootings

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing 21 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman was killed but it was unclear if he was shot by police or took his own life.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said Virginia Tech president Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building.

The name of the gunman was not released.

Up until Monday, the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history took place in 1966 at the University of Texas, where Charles Whitman climbed to the 28th-floor observation deck of a clock tower and opened fire. He killed 16 people before he was gunned down by police. In the Columbine High bloodbath near Littleton, Colo., in 1999, two teenagers killed 12 fellow students and a teacher before taking their own lives.

On Monday, one student was killed in a dorm and the others were killed in the classroom, Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum.

After the shootings, all entrances to the campus were closed and classes canceled through Tuesday.

"There's just a lot of commotion. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on," said Jason Anthony Smith, 19, who lives in the dorm where shooting took place.

Aimee Kanode, a freshman from Martinsville, said the shooting happened on the 4th floor of West Ambler Johnston dormitory, one floor above her room. Kanode's resident assistant knocked on her door about 8 a.m. to notify students to stay put.

"They had us under lockdown," Kanode said. "They temporarily lifted the lockdown, the gunman shot again."

"We're all locked in our dorms surfing the Internet trying to figure out what's going on," Kanode said.

Madison Van Duyne, a student who was interviewed by telephone on CNN, said, "We are all in lockdown. Most of the students are sitting on the floors away from the windows just trying to be as safe as possible."

It was second time in less than a year that the campus was closed because of a shooting.

In August 2006, the opening day of classes was canceled and the campus closed when an escaped jail inmate allegedly killed a hospital guard off campus and fled to the Tech area. A sheriff's deputy involved in the manhunt was killed on a trail just off campus.

The accused gunman, William Morva, faces capital murder charges.
Source.

I can't believe this. I don't know anybody who was part of the fatalities list, but jesus christ, why does stuff like this still happen? Luckily, I was back in my room before the big one hit. But I still don't believe this. What would cause people to do something like this?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:40 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 10:40 AM #2 of 191
My mom just called me about this. I thought of some of my friends that went there, and you too (since I know you're an engineer there). ;_;

Man... I still can't believe it. I'm pretty much in shock.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:42 PM #3 of 191
From what I'm hearing on CNN and by putting 2 and 2 together, it was most likely a student.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:44 PM #4 of 191
Fox is saying now atleast 32 are dead.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:45 PM #5 of 191
From what I'm hearing on CNN and by putting 2 and 2 together, it was most likely a student.
I'm thinking along those lines too, but that just makes it much more disturbing when I think of why a student would possibly pull something like this.

Most amazing jew boots

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:58 PM #6 of 191
I'm curious about a couple things.
  • The timeline. I didn't hear about this shooting, which started at 7:15, until about an hour ago. How did this news not get out sooner?
  • 22 dead, 29 wounded according to CNN right now...why do I get the feeling that the news networks don't have the correct info on this?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:25 PM #7 of 191
  • The timeline. I didn't hear about this shooting, which started at 7:15, until about an hour ago. How did this news not get out sooner?
  • 22 dead, 29 wounded according to CNN right now...why do I get the feeling that the news networks don't have the correct info on this?
It sounds like the university was attempting to keep the dorm shooting quiet at first while they had the lockdown in effect, probably in an attempt to keep people from panicking, so news stations hadn't been notified yet. A student being interviewed on CNN a few minutes ago said there were no emails or notices sent out to students either. I'd like to know why they temporarily lifted the lockdown without finding the gunman.

The death toll and number of wounded is unbelievable. I don't know anyone who went to Virginia Tech, but it's only a few hours away from here.

EDIT: According to CNN (from the Associated Press) the new total is 31 dead, 29 injured. I'm just speechless.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by The Plane Is A Tiger; Apr 16, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:32 PM #8 of 191
I would imagine that the situation is still farily chaotic down there, not to mention high winds in the region are making network linkups extremely difficult for news stations.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
---
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:40 PM #9 of 191
That's what pisses me off. I actually walked out to class at 8:00AM with no e-mail sent at the time. It was only when I had returned to find some e-mails in my inbox stating to remain inside buildings. What the hell? I didn't know there was a shooting at 7:15 until I got back around 9:00AM.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:49 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 11:49 AM #10 of 191
Wait... You're in school there?

I, myself, just got a phone call from one of my friends who's a professor at Academy of Arts in Los Angeles; his brother teaches at VSU. So far the general consensus seems to be 22 dead and about 32 wounded. No word yet on the who the gunman was but if history has taught me anything, Halo 2 will be blamed for this.

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:50 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 07:50 PM #11 of 191
This is sick, the worst thing is that the number of casualties is probably going to grow since there are still a number of students in very serious condition. Bush is going to give a press conference in 90 minutes, according to CNN.

I also updated the title for the new figure of casualties.

Most amazing jew boots
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:53 PM #12 of 191
I'm hearing that there were two separate incidents today. One at around 7-8am and then one again at 10:30 or so.

This is just from the docks manager, but he said that there were two incidents? I'm not seeing anything definitive....can anyone expand on this?

At least we know that the "terrorists" aren't just overseas and they're not just foreigners.

Unas
Syklis Green

Member 11611

Level 8.84

Aug 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:54 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 07:54 PM #13 of 191
From what Sky are saying over here, its 31 dead. Rumours that the shooting was an Asian man, something to do with a rift between himself and his girlfriend. These are all student accounts, but, especially considering who owns Sky, i'd take them with a pinch of salt

Would it not have been wise to hold a far longer lockdown than an hour and a half? Especially considering the history of these shootings?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:59 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 07:59 PM #14 of 191
From what Sky are saying over here, its 31 dead. Rumours that the shooting was an Asian man, something to do with a rift between himself and his girlfriend. These are all student accounts, but, especially considering who owns Sky, i'd take them with a pinch of salt

I dunno, I guess they messed something up. The shooter is dead.

How ya doing, buddy?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:00 PM #15 of 191
I'm hearing that there were two separate incidents today. One at around 7-8am and then one again at 10:30 or so.

This is just from the docks manager, but he said that there were two incidents? I'm not seeing anything definitive....can anyone expand on this?

At least we know that the "terrorists" aren't just overseas and they're not just foreigners.
There was a shooting in a dorm this morning around 7am and then another in a classroom building across campus. It sounds like only one person was killed in the dorms, then the gunman slipped out when the lockdown was temporarily lifted after 2 hours and started shooting again. The current count is at least 31 dead and 29 injured.

FELIPE NO
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:03 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 02:03 PM #16 of 191
Apparently the shooter was an Asian man, non-student, who shot and killed his girlfriend after having an argument with her. From there he went on a rampage, but I doubt he would've had enough ammo to kill 22 people unless the whole event was pre-meditated.

The cops were arresting all asians on-sight just to be sure, and there's some talk of there being one man being charged while another presumed gunman being dead.

Pretty weird stuff. Most of them were lined up and shot execution-style. Get ready for the Talking Heads and accompanying Palace thread. =/

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:05 PM #17 of 191
There was a shooting in a dorm this morning around 7am and then another in a classroom building across campus. It sounds like only one person was killed in the dorms, then the gunman slipped out when the lockdown was temporarily lifted after 2 hours and started shooting again. The current count is at least 31 dead and 29 injured.
Oooo, I see. Wow. He was really pissed, huh? To shoot in the dorms, go into lockdown, slip out and start shooting SOME MORE?

How strange. You'd think he'd show a little remorse after that? Or maybe he just completely lost it.

I like how people aren't 100% that the shooter is dead. (I am seeing "investigators BELIEVE the shooter is dead.")
Looks like he's definitely dead now

Unas
Syklis Green

Member 11611

Level 8.84

Aug 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:05 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 08:05 PM #18 of 191

I dunno, I guess they messed something up. The shooter is dead.
Aye, sorry, I should know better than to listen to Rupert Murdock

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:08 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 08:08 PM #19 of 191
The thing I don't understand is: They get a 911 after the first shooting. Two hours later, the second shooting took place. What the hell happened during those two hours? You think there might have been two individual shooters?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:10 PM #20 of 191
As of right now, CNN says 32 dead, dozens injured. It also confirms that it was an Asian guy, and witnesses say he was looking for his girlfriend.
'The first happened at residence hall, the 2nd started in the engineering building.'

This is just... really scary. Its horrible to think about how this could happen anywhere.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:19 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 11:19 AM #21 of 191
I am keeping the news on CNN, so it's where I am getting my info.

They just played the video of the gun going off on campus from what looks to be a camera phone. That is a sick video, just knowing those bullets finished off people.

I don't know anyone from that college or state, but I feel sick watching this.

Most amazing jew boots
projectg
Carob Nut

Member 3209

Level 6.19

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:28 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 01:28 PM #22 of 191
Wow this is scary stuff. I just hope video games don't get blamed again for this tragedy.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SpaceOddity
Chocobo

Member 427

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:38 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 12:38 PM #23 of 191
This is absolutely insane. I guess the guy just completely lost it... my prayers go out to the families.

The camera phone video is bone-chilling and one of the scariest things I've ever seen.... How that student had the guts to film that (even though you can tell they're terrified, due to the shaking) is beyond me. I would've ran to my room, locked the door and assumed the fetal position.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by SpaceOddity; Apr 16, 2007 at 03:08 PM.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:50 PM #24 of 191
Bush is going to give a press conference in 90 minutes, according to CNN.
Why in the fuck is he going to give a conference on this? Who seriously gives a shit what he has to say on this? (Then again, who seriously gives a damn about what he has to say about almost anything?)

Go back to bed, Bush.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:54 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2007, 02:54 PM #25 of 191
"Cameras tracked down" John Edwards to get his two cents, so if somebody wants to get a shot of John Edwards at a Farmer's Market saying what you'd expect anybody to say, I guess somebody cares about what President Bush has to say.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Virginia Tech Shooting: At least 33 Fatalities