Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Track Internet Activity

packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:45 AM #1 of 8
Track Internet Activity

Hi, I am just wondering if there is a way for someone to be able to track the browsing history and/or general internet activity of someone on a computer, aside from cookies, history, and cache, which can all be cleared or deleted.
This question also encompasses, but is not limited to, non-browsing activities like torrent sharing.

For the life of me, I can't think of any other ways that people might be able to track this sort of thing, aside from keyloggers.

Are there any other ways which Windows XP tracks these things?

Thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:44 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 05:44 PM #2 of 8
Are you asking from the point of view of the one who is being tracked, or the point of view of the one who does the tracking? It makes a big difference to what sort of information you would need, and probably to whether you will get it, as well.

How ya doing, buddy?
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:53 AM #3 of 8
Both actually.
I would like to know what people do with my computer when I am not around.
In addition, I am curious whether people might try the same thing with me.

You make it sound as if you are worried about releasing ZOMGTOPSECRET information into the wrong hands.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by packrat; Oct 19, 2006 at 11:56 AM.
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:15 PM #4 of 8
You could get an application--although I'd have to find a better one than what I've used--that takes screenshots every so many seconds; they can generally give a good idea of what is being done on a machine.

Of course, you could opt for standard "parental monitoring" software if you wish; Google is the best place to look for that unless someone can give a concrete suggestion.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:04 AM #5 of 8
Yeah, I am aware of these types of programs.
The problem is that most, if not all, can easily be seen and shut down by looking at the running processes tab in Task Manager.

What I really want to know is if Windows XP has some other built in features where these sorts of things are saved, aside from history, cookies, and cache.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:07 AM #6 of 8
Originally Posted by packrat
Yeah, I am aware of these types of programs.
The problem is that most, if not all, can easily be seen and shut down by looking at the running processes tab in Task Manager.

What I really want to know is if Windows XP has some other built in features where these sorts of things are saved, aside from history, cookies, and cache.
There are a few programs which are said to hide themselves (lol virus) so that shutting them down from Task Manager is impossible.

Windows has no built-in feature by which one could view anything else that's saved. (At the very least, it has no built-in method of displaying that information if, in fact, it is collected.)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:09 AM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 05:09 PM #7 of 8
Well, if someone terminates the program, it's obvious they're doing things they don't want you to see ...

Is it your computer or what ?

Most amazing jew boots
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:31 AM #8 of 8
Yes, it is my computer.

There have been other situations where my curiosity has been fed. One in particular is a friend who was told by his dad that he shouldn't try to go to sites he might be ashamed of, because he has ways of tracking those activities in ways that my friend could not concieve of or detect. Granted, his dad is also a computer science wiz, so there is a good possibility of him writing a hidden program tailored to track this activity.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Track Internet Activity