Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Buyer's Guide to Anime/Manga/Etc. (plus SALES updates)

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 03:58 AM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 12:58 AM #26 of 108
Hey all, just giving out a heads-up to those who want to save mucho greenbacks; go to rightstuf.com before the 28th of this month and you can get either 10 CDs, DVDs or UMDs of Geneon titles for $50. Or better yet, 25 of the same for $100...

It's part of their "Geneon Bountiful Bargains REMIX - 10 for $50 OR 25 for $100" deal. Below is a link to the titles to choose from and here's a quote from the site as well.

Quote:
Looking for more ways to stretch your anime dollar?

From now until June 27, choose from a Select List of Geneon DVDs, CDs and UMDs! Get 10 for $50 OR 25 for $100!

Choose the deal that's best for you:

* Get 10 Geneon titles for $50 ( Use coupon code REMIX10 ); OR
* Get 25 Geneon titles for $100 ( Use coupon code REMIX25 )

Be sure to act fast, and check back frequently: Most of the items are "while supplies last," so pay particular attention to the counters you'll find on the item pages. (When they're gone, they might stay gone.)

And keep in mind that BOTH offers will net you FREE economy shipping to U.S. and Canadian destinations!

In addition to our standard restrictions*, this special event has a couple other rules to note:

* To use these coupons, you cannot have any other items in your cart aside from items that qualify for the sale, PLUS you must have the exact number of items for the coupon you plan to use. (In other words: If you're looking to purchase some other items in addition to your "Bountiful" coupon selections, you'll need to place a separate order.)

* You cannot have duplicate items or multiple quantities of any single item in your cart. (This way no one customer can load up on all of the available inventory of a specific item. Fair for all and more savings to go around!)
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat.../desc/asc/50/1

There's nowhere I can't reach.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:56 PM #27 of 108
Do you have any recommendations out of that list?

I'm getting the rest of Heat Guy J because I started on that series a while back but the rest of the DVDs have been out of stores for the longest time. Also, I'm finishing up my Lain and Paranoia Agent collections.

There's just too much to choose from otherwise.

I'm thinking the best value would be 4-DVD series (so, 20 bucks). Once you get up to 7/8-DVD series, that becomes about 35/40 dollars, which is still a deal, but more along the lines of how much anime is at Best Buy.

EDIT:

Okay, this is what I've got (25 selected):

Akira DVD (Hyb) Deluxe Edition
Armitage III: Polymatrix/Dual Matrix DVD Set
Bottle Fairy DVD 1 (Hyb): Spring & Summer
Bottle Fairy DVD 2 (Hyb): Autumn & Winter
Fafner DVD 1 (Hyb): Arcadian Project + Artbox (Limited)
" 2
" 3
" 4
" 5
" 6
" 7
Haibane Renmei DVD 1 (Hyb): New Feather
" 2
" 3
" 4
Heat Guy J DVD 1 (Hyb): Super Android w/Artbox (LIMITED EDITION) (for the box)
" 4
" 5
" 6
" 7
Lain, Serial Experiments DVD 3 (Hyb): Deus - Geneon Signature Series
Lain, Serial Experiments DVD 4 (Hyb): Reset - Geneon Signature Series
Paranoia Agent DVD 2 (Hyb): True Believers
" 3
" 4

This is a great deal!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by JazzFlight; Jun 6, 2007 at 01:51 PM.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jun 6, 2007, 07:55 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2007, 05:55 PM #28 of 108
The only bad thing about it (aside from RightStuf's stock being critically low for certain items) is that not all Geneon products are eligible for the deal (WHY NO KAMICHU).

But otherwise, yeah. I told some people the other day and they promptly dropped about $500 on it. Riches!

How ya doing, buddy?
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:31 PM #29 of 108
Yeah, I hear ya. Went for Last Exile but they ran out of volume 1 with the box and volume 5. Decided to go get those two at axelmusic again since that place is pretty cool about having boxes and limited edition stuff. I also got all of Heat Guy J, Mao-chan, Sol Bianca, Gregory Horror Show, Moldiver, Patlabor Movie 3: WXIII, and Akira Deluxe Edition. That's some mega dvdage! 700 bucks of merchandise for 100 dollars. Even my raped wallet thinks that was pretty swell. So I decided to go order a 1 TB Hitachi harddrive for 400 bucks and then it was like well that's a great deal but ouch mah butt!

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Jun 11, 2007, 04:43 PM #30 of 108
Well, I tell ya one thing, they're taking a bit of time to charge me / ship. I haven't gotten anything past the order confirmation e-mail.

Here's hoping everything's going smoothly.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jun 11, 2007, 08:49 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2007, 06:49 PM #31 of 108
The item I was really hoping for was the ROD TV volume 7 + box + figurine, and amazingly enough they actually restocked. I bought that up in a frenzy (along with the rest of the series) and Starship Operators, so I'm pretty satisfied.

Well, I tell ya one thing, they're taking a bit of time to charge me / ship. I haven't gotten anything past the order confirmation e-mail.

I've heard that they tend to take a while to ship out orders from these special promotions, which can make sense. Considering the bulk of people are ordering in packages of 10 or 25 DVDs, I imagine it takes a while to get everything ready... The thing that confused me was that they didn't even seem to have the DVDs on hand. If you go to RightStuf's page and click on 'where's my stuff' at the top, you can check the status of your order. Curiously, only the rarest item on my list (the ROD TV v7 + box + figurine) is listed as "order has been received" -- everything else is listed as "on order from manufacturer."

RightStuf is a reputable company, anyway, so I'm not worried about not receiving the products. Besides, it was an absolute steal no matter what you got. I'd be okay with waiting a few weeks.

FELIPE NO
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2007, 09:01 PM #32 of 108
I need to finish up some series that arent complete when I totally stopped buying anime DVDs two years ago. Thanks for the info

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:58 AM #33 of 108
I've heard that they tend to take a while to ship out orders from these special promotions, which can make sense. Considering the bulk of people are ordering in packages of 10 or 25 DVDs, I imagine it takes a while to get everything ready... The thing that confused me was that they didn't even seem to have the DVDs on hand. If you go to RightStuf's page and click on 'where's my stuff' at the top, you can check the status of your order. Curiously, only the rarest item on my list (the ROD TV v7 + box + figurine) is listed as "order has been received" -- everything else is listed as "on order from manufacturer."

RightStuf is a reputable company, anyway, so I'm not worried about not receiving the products. Besides, it was an absolute steal no matter what you got. I'd be okay with waiting a few weeks.
Ack, I just checked that.

Just about half are "reserved for your order," the other half are "on order from manufacturer."

Weird, considering they had so many in stock (when I first ordered back on June 6th). They must have had a lot more people buying even in the first few days to liquidate so much stock. Unless of course, they had that many "in stock," just not sitting in their regular warehouse. Who knows.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 02:31 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2007, 12:31 AM #34 of 108
Yeah, it's weird. Considering that they display the amount of stock they had (there were around 280 or so of the DVDs I wanted) I figured it'd be no big deal, but I guess when they're moving about so much stock it gets to be bothersome.

Here's hoping everything gets shipped out just fine. I always get anxious to receive stuff when I buy online.

EDIT: Owned by RightStuf. The status on ROD TV vol7 box + figurine has been changed to "reserved for your order," which changed my entire order to "All backordered."

Last edited by Sakabadger; Jun 12, 2007 at 11:16 AM.
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 02:59 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2007, 11:59 AM #35 of 108
The only bad thing about it (aside from RightStuf's stock being critically low for certain items) is that not all Geneon products are eligible for the deal (WHY NO KAMICHU).
Yeah, I was going to get Ergo Proxy's soundtrack, but it wasn't until I kept getting an error that I figured out it wasn't eligible. That said, I already think $10 for a new CD isn't that bad either. Will just buy it later on, or during their next sale that I use to catch up on these OSTs...

I am assuming it is, they usually take a few days at the very least even when there isn't a sale going on...

As for being charged, I usually notice the charge a few days after the stuff is shipped.

Yeah, they are great and are always offering something worth buying that is on sale. In this case, they are just busy I guess, plus I got the following email response from them in regards to why mine hasn't shipped at least, considering they are listed as "All backordered" as well but are still listed in stock on the item's page...

Quote:
Hello Sean-
We were actually expecting the CDs to be in to us last week, but they
didn't arrive to us. We are expecting a lot of Geneon merchandise to be
delivered to us starting tomorrow and going on through Friday, so
hopefully your CDs will be with them.

Thank you,

Brandon B.
Shouldn't be much longer, though with the amount of music, I can wait!

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 05:49 PM #36 of 108
I helped myself to the lot of the Lupin discs (12 DVD's but in reality, it's the only thing in the pile I'll watch), but I also finished off my Mini Goddess (3 DVD's), Star Ocean EX (2) and Tokyo Underground (4) sets and dug into Starship Operators (3) and picked up Moldiver after all these years of putting it off. I got mine in pretty early (most discs were around the 600+ mark), so here's hoping. I "Saved" like $630...Which goes to show how overpriced a lot of this stuff is.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:51 PM #37 of 108
Im sorta new to the right stuff site. I chose a shitload of dvds ( in the geneon remix list of course) and it doesn't say 50 bucks O.o. Anyone know why?

Old Jun 12, 2007, 07:22 PM #38 of 108
When you're paying it'll ask you for a coupon code. You need to put in REMIX10 or REMIX25 depending on what you're getting.

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:21 PM #39 of 108
Alright good sir. Well then here's the list I've picked out. I wish they weren't out of the 3rd vol of Tsukihime but what can you do. I chose to get 25 dvds. a buck and 2 zeros isn't that much these days..

Armitage III: Polymatrix/Dual Matrix DVD Set 1 $0.00
Chobits DVD 1 (Hyb): Persocom 1 $0.00
Chobits DVD 2 (Hyb): The Empty City 1 $0.00
Chobits DVD 3 (Hyb): Darkness Descends 1 $0.00
Chobits DVD 4 (Hyb): Love Defined 1 $0.00
Chobits DVD 5 (Hyb): Disappearance 1 $0.00
Chobits DVD 6 (Hyb): My Only Person 1 $0.00
Chobits DVD 7 (Hyb): Chat Room 1 $0.00
geneonsale25 Geneon Special Promo: 25 for $100 offer (*) 1 $100.00
Haibane Renmei DVD 1 (Hyb): New Feather 1 $0.00
Haibane Renmei DVD 2 (Hyb): Wings of Sorrow 1 $0.00
Haibane Renmei DVD 3 (Hyb): Bird of Freedom 1 $0.00
Haibane Renmei DVD 4 (Hyb): Day of Flight 1 $0.00
Heat Guy J DVD 1 (Hyb): Super Android w/Artbox (LIMITED EDITION) 1 $0.00
Heat Guy J DVD 2 (Hyb): Vampire's Ambition 1 $0.00
Heat Guy J DVD 3 (Hyb): Sins of the City 1 $0.00
Heat Guy J DVD 4 (Hyb): Hidden Fangs 1 $0.00
Heat Guy J DVD 5 (Hyb): Haunted Past 1 $0.00
Heat Guy J DVD 6 (Hyb): Urban Corruption 1 $0.00
Heat Guy J DVD 7 (Hyb): Revolution 1 $0.00
Mahoromatic 2: Something More Beautiful DVD 1 (Hyb): Maid in Training 1 $0.00
Mahoromatic 2: Something More Beautiful DVD 2 (Hyb): Hectic Holidays 1 $0.00
Mahoromatic 2: Something More Beautiful DVD 3 (Hyb): All Good Things.. 1 $0.00
Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden DVD 1 (Hyb): Combat Maid 1 $0.00
Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden DVD 2 (Hyb): Haunting Past 1 $0.00
Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden DVD 3 (Hyb): A Warrior's Fate

Not so bad.. I always wanted to finish off the first season of Mahoro and now i can check out the 2nd season. Something tells me that I'm going to regret choosing Chobits over Trigun.

FELIPE NO
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 02:06 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 11:06 AM #40 of 108
So, I take it I am the only one who went for CDs over DVDs, eh? Being a less amount of savings over what the DVDs would offer notwithstanding

Oh well, here's what I picked up:

Spoiler:

.Hack//GAME Music Best Collection
Ah! My Goddess TV Soundtrack 1
Angela: Prythm
Angela: Sora No Koe (Voice of the Sky)
Blood: The Last Vampire
DearS
Gun X Sword Soundtrack 1
Gun X Sword Soundtrack 2
Hellsing: Raid
Hellsing: Ruins
Kotoko -hane-
Love Hina: Hinata Girls
Love Hina: Hinata Girls Song Best
Psychic Academy Aura Bansho
Read or Die (R.O.D.) OVA Soundtrack
Read or Die (R.O.D.) TV Soundtrack 1
Read or Die (R.O.D.) TV Soundtrack 2
Samurai Champloo Soundtrack 2
Shakugan no Shana
Trigun: The First Donut
Trigun: The Second Donuts
Utena, Revolutionary Girl TV Soundtrack 1
Utena, Revolutionary Girl TV Soundtrack 2
Yoko Ishida: All Of Me CD + DVD Extra
Yoko Ishida: Sweets

I should be getting it any day now. Though, it'll most likely take me all Summer to go through it all. Not that I am complaining...

Anyway, here's hoping another deal like this happens before the year is over. I definitely wouldn't mind picking up DVDs next time around regardless.

Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 03:28 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 01:28 PM #41 of 108
I didn't get any CDs because I've heard some negative things about US-released CDs. Something like how the quality is inferior to the original Japanese discs, or something? If you could confirm/deny that when you get your shipment, that'd be pretty interesting.

Also, US releases seem to lack the same extras as the Japanese ones (though they do cost a lot less). I am a sucker for the obi and first press goodies.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 04:53 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 03:53 PM #42 of 108
Those are nothing but old wives' tales.

The quality of of a Japanese CD // DVD is no different than the American counterpart. The only reason it would be different would be if they used a different source or tried to compress more. Some American releases are better than Japanese releases because they rip out extras, and some are worse because although they take out extras they try to cram more stuff into the media.

For CDs though those are pretty much untouched. They just lack first press bonus stuff, and sometimes the booklet inserts might have less detail. If you're obsessive over that sort of thing then yeah the import would be better.

Although I guess if they used a different media, like maybe a gold cd instead of a silver cd, then quality could suffer. But that's unlikely and you wouldn't notice it for quite some time.

I've been unfortunate enough to possess both Japanese and American releases of some things, so I've done my fair share of testing.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 04:56 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 02:56 PM #43 of 108
I've ordered from Rightstuf over half a dozen times, and they do take their time, but for sure, they do fulfil their promises. Furthermore, during the original Geneon sale in Sept 2006, I did order the 25 deal and one of the DVDs was flawed quite a bit, it was Fushigi Yugi disc 3, which I didn't get around to watching until January this year. I emailed them asking if I could get an exchange, since it skipped all over like hell, despite the return period only being 21 days. I believe it was a fellow named Brandon that agreed to exchange it, since it was from a large order and all.

As for the most current one, I would have done the $100 deal, but I already ordered the Platinum NG Evangelion set (bricks with artbox, not thinpak) for about $60 USD ontop of other things - Kaleido Star Complete Thin Pak and something else I forgot, so I've already dropped $160 USD, so this time I only did the $50 deal.

Ordered:

Chobits DVD 1 to 7 and Starship Operators DVD 1 to 3, for a total of ten items.

I've received numerous e-mails about how both these orders are still on backorder, but then I'm not too worried, their backlog must be up the wazoo amongst thousands of orders.

And Saka, I’ve ordered the Haibane Renmei OST from them during the last sale, and the quality seems on par to the OST that I torrented way back from the Japanese OST, I believe, but normally I wouldn’t buy OSTs anyways. It’s just unneeded extra costs ontop of buying retail anime. I ordered it mainly to fill the 1 item gap to reach 25 and I loved the music :3.

In short, RS is probably the best course of action for Canadians to get their anime fix especially during the period where our CDN dollar is almost at par with the Greenback, as anime from brick and mortar shops here charge up the ass, usually $29.99 to $39.99 PER DVD. I don’t know how it’s like in the US, as I really haven’t shopped for anime there in their stores. The only added costs are the customs fees that usually are about $20.00 payable at the post office should your order be around the $100 - $150 USD range, at least from what I’ve experienced from my previous orders.

Last edited by Spatula; Jun 17, 2007 at 05:01 PM.
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2007, 07:45 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2007, 04:45 PM #44 of 108
It's funny, if my bank account info is any indication, they haven't charged me yet, even though the order shipped last Thursday...

It might have something to do with my bank, but Rightstuf orders always take a few days to show up, though other orders elsewhere can show up within minutes of placing an order or at least by the time it ships. Not too bad however, since CDJapan orders can take 2-4 weeks for the charge to appear!

I didn't get any CDs because I've heard some negative things about US-released CDs. Something like how the quality is inferior to the original Japanese discs, or something? If you could confirm/deny that when you get your shipment, that'd be pretty interesting.

Also, US releases seem to lack the same extras as the Japanese ones (though they do cost a lot less). I am a sucker for the obi and first press goodies.
Actually, I have been buying such domestic anime and game CDs since JVC was one of the first to do so mainstream back during 1990 with Akira...

Except for the Onimusha domestic CD, Sounds of Onimusha, I have never noticed anything very much different as related to the mastering/sound. In that case, it might have been a pressing error since no one, in reviews, or those that I have talked with about it noticed the same digital errors that are sure not on the Japanese release. It happened with both copies I received, so who knows. Regardless though, it made me go out and pay $40 for the original.

That said, most if not all are lacking in the packaging department, though I can't say I care since I can't read Japanese and those obi's are rather pointless once you get it home if you ask me. Overall I am only interested in whether the music sounds good, but do like the obi's better than the US CDs using those crappy sticker/seals they add these days.

BTW, one thing I have noticed, Japanese CDs are usually mastered better than their American counterpart, but mostly the mainstream stuff. The Anime music getting released here is just pressed to CD locally, using the original master the best I can tell. So, there typically isn't any additional mastering done to them unless it's not a complete copy of the original, much the same way that Onimusha CD was. I don't know, I kind of like it that way, drama and all.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by sabbey; Jun 17, 2007 at 08:11 PM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:03 PM #45 of 108
I just got an e-mail from them saying they shipped it. Woohoo!. Did anyone get theirs yet?

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:13 PM #46 of 108
I just got an e-mail from them saying they shipped it. Woohoo!. Did anyone get theirs yet?
I'm still waiting on:
pd11568 Akira DVD (Hyb) Deluxe Edition
pd12531 Fafner DVD 2 (Hyb): Ultimate Sacrifice
pd12532 Fafner DVD 3 (Hyb): Human Force

Ack, when will they finally get these discs in? They said they had hundreds in stock on June 6th when I ordered it. [/whine]

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:00 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2007, 04:00 PM #47 of 108
13 days after I placed my order, all of them are still on order or reserved.

[/more whine]

Most amazing jew boots
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:02 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2007, 06:02 PM #48 of 108
I received an email confirmation that my $50 order was shipped today, which happened to be ordered after my initial regular order - which is still all on backorder (not the Geneon Special). Shipping to Canada took about 2-3 weeks if I recall correctly from the first time I did this, thanks to customs and border security. Continental US shipping should be much faster, I imagine.

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:50 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2007, 09:50 PM #49 of 108
Yep, mine came in on Monday. Funny that the charge hasn't show up yet on my bank account though...

Most amazing jew boots
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:36 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2007, 07:36 AM #50 of 108
Yep, mine came in on Monday. Funny that the charge hasn't show up yet on my bank account though...
Wouldn't be the first time, when they did this with ADV a few months ago, my friend didn't get charged for 1 of his 3 $100 orders. @_@ he got a lot of dvds but ended up skipping A-Kon this year because of it. He said to this day he still hasn't gotten another charge from them and likes it that way XD

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] Buyer's Guide to Anime/Manga/Etc. (plus SALES updates)