Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Ouran High School Host Club

TheFrenchLlama
'Pictures of Tohno-kun's sleeping face!'

Member 3851

Level 3.31

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:20 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 03:20 PM #1 of 102
Ouran High School Host Club

To be blunt, this anime is gay. REALLY gay. This anime is full of pretty boys looking gay, and often times acting gay too. Not surprising of a shoujo anime. Wait... Shoujo anime?! Surely you gest, TFL! Why would you, a guy, be watching something made for girls who love pretty boys in yaoi-esque situations?! Well, quite frankly, this anime is for anyone who loves a good comedy and enjoys laughing out loud. It's pure hilarity, to put it simply. And no, nothing is wrong with you for watching this anime. Your masculinity, providing you're a guy reading this, is not in jeopardy.

The story begins with Fujioka Haruhi, a first year, and new, student at Oudan High School, a prestigious school for the wealthy. Bottom line, if you don't have a rich background with a lot of money to throw around, you won't get into this high school... unless you're a genius like Haruhi and got in with the help of a rare scholarship. Unfortunately for Haruhi, he's just a commoner among the thousands of rich teens at the high school. In fact, he seems to be the only one.

Haruhi finds himself looking for one of four libraries scattered about the campus; the last one was far too noisy for him. However, he quickly stumbles upon a seemingly vacant music room, only to come across... THE OURAN HOST CLUB *que sparkles and flowery background*. There he meets the club's odd collection of six members, all of which I'll introduce later, and after a bit of confused chit-chat as to why Haruhi is there, the unfortunate commoner accidentally knocks over a vase that is valued at 8 million yen (roughly 68,500 US dollars). From that point on, Haruhi is forced to become the Host Club's "Host Club Dog" and run errands for them in order to work off his debt.

So what is the "Host Club"? As the founder and president of the club so eloquently puts it, "In this private Ouran Academy, pedigree comes first, then money comes second. One thing that rich people have is time. The Ouran Host Club is a secret club, consisting of pretty boys with time to spare. The host and entertain girls with the same time commitment. It's a special extravaganza employed by the super rich folks."

The next scene we're introduced to the members of the Host Club and their odd idiosyncracies. First we meet 2nd Year Tamaki Suou, the Host Club President. Being the club president, he enjoys being called "King" among his club members. He is also the most popular among the members, as he is requested by 70% of the girls who frequent there.

Haruhi's first assignment is to bring the Host Club some coffee to drink. Being that he is a commoner and only knows so much, he ends up being instant coffee, which Tamaki is amazed by. Having never had instant coffee, Tamaki proposes that they try it and see what it tastes like (of course Haruhi must serve it). The girls are a bit scared to try the said coffee... until Tamaki proposes a way to drink it. Naturally, the girls go nuts.

Next we meet 1st Years Hitaiichin Hikaru and Kaoru, twin brothers who often talk in unison and pretend to flirt with one another in front of their guests. Again, the fangirls eat it up.

Then there is 3rd Year Morinozuka Takashi (AKA Mori), a quiet guy who neither talks much nor smiles at all, and his cousin 3rd Year Morinozuka Mitsukuni (AKA Honey), who, despite his loli looks, is actually the oldest member in the entire club. He's too adorable for his own good, and the fangirls love it.

Lastly we meet 2nd Year Ootomi Kyouya, Vice President of the Host Club. It appears that he is less of a host and more of a planner for the club, as he usually plans the events held for the many girls that come to be entertained.

After some banter, one of the twins removes Haruhi's glasses, expecting beady eyes but discovers something spectacular. Tamaki takes his look... and immediately orders the club to give Haruhi a makeover. Soon, Haruhi looks just as good as the rest of them, to which Tamaki obviously approves. Now looking like a bishishounen like the rest of the club, Haruhi's status as a member is upgraded to a full member!

Unfortunately, Haruhi doesn't seem to be very good at first as far as entertaining girls goes. However, he quickly gets the hang of it and has three girls request him for their next meeting. Tamaki then introduces them to one of his frequent quests, Anayokouji-hime, to which Haruhi simply says hello and smiles, slightly embarrassed. Of couse, Tamaki is utterly impressed by Haruhi's natural talent and shows his appreciation. Haruhi calls out to Mori for help, and Mori does indeed come to his aide, only to notice something strange about Haruhi. Unfortunately, Anayokouji doesn't seem to like the new host club member due to his bad upbringing.

Unknown to Haruhi, Ayanokouji throws his bag into the school's pool at the front of the academy. Haruhi goes searching for his things, and Tamaki later comes and helps him. Next scene, Ayanokouji requests Haruhi, only to try and start trouble and get Haruhi kicked out of the club. However, the twins dump water on the two, and Tamaki sees through Ayanokouji's plan and tells her to leave the club. With Haruhi's only uniform now soaking wet, the club provides Haruhi with some spare clothes and tells him to go change.

While Haruhi is changing, Tamaki comes to give Haruhi some towels to dry off with, only to discover something shocking. Haruhi is actually a girl! Unfortunately for Tamaki, Kyouya was the first to figure it out, while the other members figured it out along the way. The episode ends with Haruhi mentioning she'll have to use "ore" (the masculine version of referring to oneself in Japanese) from now on and gives us a cute smile. So cute, Haruhi~! <3

This anime is a complete blast and is hilarious. This is easily one of the best new shows of the season. The animation is smooth and the art is very nice, despite the characters being a bit one dimensional. There shouldn't be any reason you wouldn't watch this anime if you enjoy a good comedy. I know I'll be eagerly awaiting each hilarious episode as the weeks go by. ^_^

LINKS

Lunar Anime | website | IRC |
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3

Doremi-Fansubs |website | IRC |
Episode 1
Episode 2

Solar | website | IRC |
Episode 1

Most amazing jew boots
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:39 PM #2 of 102
tl;dr opening post, methinks, but whatever~

Point being, just watch it already.

It's good. Better than it should be.

Also, it's funny. Hilarious, some would say.

I just hope no gay drama filler comes in, because I'm about to call this gold.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
HazelGuy
Good Chocobo

Member 4960

Level 14.57

Apr 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:48 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 09:48 AM #3 of 102
I've been meaning to make a topic of this for a while but you did a better job of it than I could have. So far this is my favourite show this season, Haruhi is good, but Ouran is just that much better. Is it Shoujo? Sure, which would mean I wouldn't watch it, but I downloaded the first episode by accident and now I'm hooked.

I love their attitude towards everything as well. Loli? Yeah, we've got it. Twincest? No trouble. Tamaki is possibly the biggest blonde ever seen, which makes him all the funnier. And you feel sorry for Haruhi having to put up with him.

Best show of the new season.

Edit: And the part with arrows in the first and second episodes was fantastic. It took a moment for me to figure out what it ment and from there you're waiting in anticipation for whatever is going to happen. I didn't get the lightbulbs till Honey's one lit up though.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by HazelGuy; Apr 23, 2006 at 06:51 PM.
booboocat
Syklis Green

Member 2861

Level 8.78

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:11 PM #4 of 102
Originally Posted by HazelGuy
Best show of the new season.
i wholeheartedly agree. the premise is very interesting, if not fresh. plus, one of the few shoujou artstyles i like.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
HazelGuy
Good Chocobo

Member 4960

Level 14.57

Apr 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 01:17 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 04:17 PM #5 of 102
Originally Posted by booboocat
i wholeheartedly agree. the premise is very interesting, if not fresh. plus, one of the few shoujou artstyles i like.
Its different, the colours they use are very vivid and the way its drawn makes them look flat at times, like a comic strip, it suits the show perfectly.

But seriously, I know the school is rich and all, but a Big Ben?

I was speaking idiomatically.
booboocat
Syklis Green

Member 2861

Level 8.78

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 01:34 AM #6 of 102
this is one anime i'd love to see made into a drama.

i actually liked hana yori dango japanese drama. it wasn't bad at all.
can't say the same about meteor garden though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
mayfly
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5653

Level 1.00

Apr 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 09:21 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 03:21 AM #7 of 102
this is one anime i'd love to see made into a drama.

i actually liked hana yori dango japanese drama. it wasn't bad at all.
can't say the same about meteor garden though.
HYD is my favourite Live Action drama so far. I've only watched a few other Live action series yet though...
I second what you said about this series being made into a drama, I'd love to see that! I think the anime is sweet, and there's not any real man-man love in it (yet) - though the guys give the guests their moneys worth... Like with the twins and all... Oh, and I haven't read the manga yet, but I sure will after seeing how good it makes as an anime.

FELIPE NO
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 09:41 PM #8 of 102
Well, I wouldn't go and say "fresh."

Some have likened it to being Marimite, except with guys. And more girls posing as guys.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:28 PM #9 of 102
Yes HYD is a awesome live action, but the GTO live action, and I.W.G.P top it IMO.

I'm anxiously awaiting episodes 1, and 2 to finish downloading. Need some comedy in between the gaps of School Rumble episodes!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:10 PM #10 of 102
Oh phew, I thought I was the only guy that would watch this. It's very funny how everything is borderline gay (with lots of flowery references and conversations within a kiss' proximity, a centimetre more and it would be officially shounen-ai ). I really found this funny and stumbled onto it by chance when a friend showed me the plot summary. I have to admit I was a bit slow and didn't realize the thing about Haruhi until when they explicitly pointed it out at the end, so I was a little confused after reading the summary and while was I was watching the first episode. I want more of this admittedly strange anime! ("Twincest" is my new favourite term :P)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
HazelGuy
Good Chocobo

Member 4960

Level 14.57

Apr 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 01:52 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 04:52 PM #11 of 102
Originally Posted by Manny Biggz
Yes HYD is a awesome live action, but the GTO live action, and I.W.G.P top it IMO.

I'm anxiously awaiting episodes 1, and 2 to finish downloading. Need some comedy in between the gaps of School Rumble episodes!
Episode three is also out, you can get torrent links here if you're looking for them.

Episode 3 is glorious.

The episodes tend to be out of a thursday/friday night.

How ya doing, buddy?
Tama8-chan
Good Chocobo

Member 952

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 08:52 PM Local time: May 25, 2006, 12:52 PM #12 of 102
My anime club screened the first episode of this yesterday, and I was hooked instantly.
I was a bit reluctant because of the light-yaoi in it, but it's fucking hilarious.
If they were SERIOUSLY yaoi, I wouldn't watch it, but because even they know it's all just an act for the pure entertainment of their lady customers, that's totally fine by me.
I just watched the first 4 eps last night. I've got up to ep 7, so I will be watching them tonight.

www.Pietriots.com
Click to receive beer

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 09:10 PM #13 of 102
I'm very disappointed that there was no twincest scene in Ep. 7 at all I guess people would get tired of that...but not me

I was speaking idiomatically.
Tama8-chan
Good Chocobo

Member 952

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 07:04 AM Local time: May 28, 2006, 11:04 PM #14 of 102
Me neither, lol.
I like how they even explained that it's just for show, and they play it up and use it to their advantage all the time, lol.

Ep 8 had a lot less of everything, and more focused on Tamaki's infatuation with Haruhi. And JUST when you think she's almost fallen for him - the coveted 'she only reveals her fears to the person she's closest to' - it all falls to pieces....lolol.

There most likely will be a relationship forming somewhere down the line....it may not be with Tamaki.

www.Pietriots.com
Click to receive beer

Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 10:50 AM Local time: May 28, 2006, 04:50 PM #15 of 102
Just watched ep 2, god the whole "lets set this scene up with arrows" thing just works.

FELIPE NO
All I'm saying is that if the laptops of the future are not in the
shape of chibi genie girls then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
StarCrossedSoul
the one with the phoenix

Member 5293

Level 3.20

Apr 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 12:08 AM Local time: May 29, 2006, 11:08 PM #16 of 102
Oh my gosh, now this is funny.
Not my usual kind of anime, but I find it quite entertaining, that I'm actually dying to see whatever's going to happen next to Haruhi.
I like how her character makes a great contrast in the series, and it kind of reminded me of the manga, Perfect Girl Evolution.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 03:11 PM Local time: May 30, 2006, 12:11 PM #17 of 102
I've seen six episodes, and I'm glad I finally started watching this. This is my first gender-bending anime, but it's entertaining. I thought it was clever how they used arrows during certain episodes.

Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 01:24 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2006, 07:24 PM #18 of 102
Ep 5.

Had any other anime done it's ending, I'd fell cheated out of an episode.

Ill intent: None.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Conan-the-3rd; Jun 1, 2006 at 01:28 PM.
Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 06:53 AM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 12:53 PM #19 of 102
heheh, Episode 6, the whole time, the only thing that registered in my mind was "That's Naruto's voice..."

And of course, a trip to ANN confermed it

How ya doing, buddy?
HazelGuy
Good Chocobo

Member 4960

Level 14.57

Apr 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 04:47 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2006, 07:47 PM #20 of 102
Originally Posted by Conan-the-3rd
heheh, Episode 6, the whole time, the only thing that registered in my mind was "That's Naruto's voice..."

And of course, a trip to ANN confermed it
I had trouble not picturing him as Naruto as well, but that was a fantastic part at the start of the episode when he completely undoes everything Tamaki is trying to do to stop the whole thing from falling apart and insulting the customers.

7&8 are good, though they're a bit more indepth character-wise, especially the twins and their rivalry with Tamaki over Haruhi. And they know exactly how to push Tamaki's buttons, to the point of where you almost have to feel sorry for him being manipulated all over the place.

Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 02:16 PM Local time: Jun 5, 2006, 08:16 PM #21 of 102
Originally Posted by HazelGuy
I had trouble not picturing him as Naruto as well, but that was a fantastic part at the start of the episode when he completely undoes everything Tamaki is trying to do to stop the whole thing from falling apart and insulting the customers.
He's a precosious brat with an issue, they're practicly the same chracter anyway.

Most amazing jew boots
HazelGuy
Good Chocobo

Member 4960

Level 14.57

Apr 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:34 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2006, 10:34 AM #22 of 102
The look on Tamaki's face after he stole his customers was priceless. Oh, Lunar just released episode 9. I'm trying to remember what the preview was about last week.

I think they've had an episode for each of the characters now haven't they? Kyouya, Tamaki, the Twins, Mori and Honey have all had had one.

I'm halfway through watching the new one.
Spoiler:
The ballerina that saved Haruhi is so the opposite version of her, a guy pretending to be a girl. And for some reason Tamaki looks like they dragged him in from another show with that armor on.

Edit the 2nd: Okay, so maybe I was wrong about that, but this one has some fantastic parts in it. I'll post some screenshots too, but there's nothing really spoilerish in them, but I'll tag them just in case.

And it turns out Tamaki is half French. That explains a lot.

Oh, and the next episode Haruhi goes home and Tamaki leads the rest of the hosts to visit. Out of the kindness of his heart. Sure

The Host Club's theme for this week:
Spoiler:

Tamaki The Brave? Idiot?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Upstaging the Girl's Opera Club

Who knew the twins had such good taste?
Spoiler:

Or maybe not
Spoiler:

Next Episode (Haruhi's House)
Spoiler:

Tamaki busted yet again
Spoiler:

Last edited by HazelGuy; Jun 5, 2006 at 09:56 PM.
Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 02:26 AM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 08:26 AM #23 of 102
Anyone notice Bones' Insigna on Huraihi's Sold Mechanical Pencil and how almost all of the Ouran HS students weren't impressed with Zuku Club's prefromance?

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Conan-the-3rd; Jun 7, 2006 at 02:28 AM.
HazelGuy
Good Chocobo

Member 4960

Level 14.57

Apr 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 03:46 AM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 06:46 PM #24 of 102
Originally Posted by Conan-the-3rd
Anyone notice Bones' Insigna on Huraihi's Sold Mechanical Pencil and how almost all of the Ouran HS students weren't impressed with Zuku Club's prefromance?
Not really, I was too busy waiting to see what Haruhi was going to do to Tamaki after she found out to notice.

Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 12:32 PM #25 of 102
My brother downloaded some of this. At first he tried to persuade me it's a comedy. And it was, in some sense. But I was refusing to watch because it was so girly styled.

And here I am..... in my own pathetic way watching it now.

Spoiler:
I thought Haruhi was a guy first time I took a glimpse at this anime, when my brother was watching it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Ouran High School Host Club