Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Are you an audiophile?
Yes 96 55.17%
No 78 44.83%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Are you an audiophile?

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:13 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2008, 02:13 PM #201 of 203
Quote:
This strikes me as intuitively wrong, but even if it's not, 99% of digital masterings/recordings have the dynamic range so compressed that it's horribly wrong in practice anyway.
Quote:
Why does it strike you as intuitively wrong? What you say about mastering is true, though. I'm sure you've seen me mention the loudness war at least a couple of times...

Quote:
And the reason I spend so much on audio isn't for a 'realistic' reproduction, it's for one that sounds good. And I don't even use vinyl. Imagine that.
Can't we have both? That is what I aim for. My system reproduces music realistically, and also sounds excellent. Personally, I think the two are correlated.

Quote:
"More than enough"? Look, it's simple math: A continuous (i.e. analog) scale has an infintely greater amount of precision than even the most precise discrete (i.e. digital) scale. Period. If you want to claim that you can't hear a difference, that's an argument you could make. But to claim that there is no difference in information, or, worse, that there's no reason to believe that there's more information, is absolutely wrong.
Haven't you heard of the Nyquist–Shannon sampling theorem? If the sampling frequency is twice frequency in question, the analog waveform can be reproduced perfectly from the sampled waveform. In reality, there are aliasing effects, but these are negligible. On an absolute scale, yes, there is more information in the original continuous waveform, but how much of this information is relevant? How many instruments produce frequencies greater than 22050hz? How many vocalists? This is why I said 44100 samples per second is more than enough, because it is. More than enough to reproduce all of the audible information.

Quote:
Actually, there are now 100% digital amplifiers that literally amp the digital signal without a DAC. See the Panasonic XR-57 for one example.
I know about digital amplifiers. But the signal still has to pass through a DAC at some point. Unless you also happen to have digital speakers hooked up to your system.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Feb 24, 2008 at 08:23 AM.
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:34 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2008, 04:34 PM #202 of 203
Analogue for me, plz. Completely digital recordings sound cold, metallic and lifeless to my ears.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Are you an audiophile?