Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

RIP Gary Gygax

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:06 PM #1 of 2
RIP Gary Gygax

Co-Creator Of Dungeons & Dragons Dies In Lake Geneva - Milwaukee News Story - WISN Milwaukee

Quote:
MILWAUKEE -- Gary Gygax, who co-created the game Dungeons & Dragons and helped start the role-playing phenomenon, died Tuesday morning at his home in Lake Geneva. He was 69.

He had been suffering from health problems for several years, including an abdominal aneurysm, said his wife, Gail Gygax.

Gygax and co-creator Dave Arneson developed the fantasy role-playing game in 1974. It became one of the best-selling games ever and influenced video games, books and movies.
sponsor

Gygax' wife said he always enjoyed hearing from the game's legion of devoted fans about how Dungeons & Dragons influenced their lives. Many would stop by the family's home in Lake Geneva, which is about 55 miles southwest of Milwaukee, she said.

"It really meant a lot to him to hear from people from over the years about how he helped them become a doctor, a lawyer, a policeman, what he gave them," Gail Gygax said. "He really enjoyed that."

Dungeons & Dragons players create fictional characters for themselves and describe their adventures with the help of complicated rules and unusually shaped dice.

The quintessential geek pastime, it spawned a wealth of copycat games and later inspired a whole genre of computer games that are still growing in popularity.

Gygax had been in declining health for several years but as recently as January he hosted weekly games of Dungeons & Dragons at their home, Gail Gygax said.

Funeral arrangements are pending. In addition to his wife, Gygax is survived by six children.
I found this out just a little while ago. This makes me sad, having been playing D&D for well over 15 years now. I just had to call my friends who playd and let them know.

Here's to hoping he's rolled a double 20 for his next life.

Most amazing jew boots
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 02:17 PM #2 of 2
This is a sad day. I know not everything in Dungeons and Dragons was original. But it was the first step in taking the fantasy genre to an interactive game level. Sure I haven't played D&D for years, but RPGs have always been my favorite games and I still have fond memories of both D&D and D&D based video games.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

"Out thought and out fought."

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > RIP Gary Gygax