Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] "Rap Isn't Music"

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:24 AM Local time: Nov 9, 2007, 05:24 AM #1 of 41
"Rap Isn't Music"

I have to admit that lately I've been listening to a lot of Saul Williams, and after repeated hearings of "Grippo," it got me thinking. Is it racist to not consider rap music?

There's definitely a racial component to how many people consume cultural products. As awful as heavy metal is (as much as I enjoy it), I don't know of many whites who will claim that it isn't music. I also for the life of me can't think of any blacks who perform heavy metal. We're clearly conditioned to accept certain packages of cultural goods divided across race. Even when whites (I'm not saying this is all whites I'm generalizing here) do listen to rap, they gravitate towards white artists. Eminem was certainly more popular among whites than Dr. Dre ever was, but he'd likely be nothing without Dre's help. This attitude is also prevalent blacks, who will claim that white artists are stealing "their music." Elvis, for instance catches a lot of flak for ripping off black artists and the southern blues tradition. Yet if Elvis hadn't helped popularize "black music" American culture wouldn't have developed the way it did.

So is it racist to claim that rap isn't music? Aren't we holding ourselves back culturally by dividing artistic product across racial boundaries?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:32 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2007, 11:32 AM #2 of 41
I don't think it would be racist to claim that rap isn't "music", but if someone were to say it wasn't any kind of valid art form I'd probably draw a line.

I'm kind of in line with Dizzy Gillespie when it comes to music. He said, "I'm not interested in music, I'm interested in sounds." Music is whatever you want to listen to.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:02 PM 1 #3 of 41
Too many people bash rap because all they talk about is "I smoke weed", "My pops is a crack addict",etc. In the Rap game, and I quote from Alchemist, a beat is the first step into making music not just the lyrics cause that can easily be done by any lyricist in the business. Today, no one really likes to listen to the shit now because they repeat the same shit like sex and shit (not that it's a bad thing but the ladies love it so that's a A+ from me ;p) Rap right now isn't that great anyway. The lyrics are garbage, the same surviving rappers are trying to keep it alive such as saigon, nas, jay-z and any other underground rapper besides the legends.

I know a few friends who are white and hispanic (such as myself) and we love to listen to any kind of music that offers a great beat to the ears (for those who are still clueless, Beat = bgm/instrumental/). Most of them listen to that overrated Reggaeton which died a year ago from 2k5-2k6. Obviously if Rappers talk about sucking and fucking, we would all lose interest. Rock was and still is in the same situation. All we have is a shitload of myspace singers who "make it" into the business, god bless them. However, they still suck. They're all in it for the money. And we money accumalates, the same bullshit lyrics/ emo lifestyle lyrics sell more than creative lines. That's what I believe and say to people who don't appreciate rap. It isn't really racism. hope i didn't stray away far from topic =/

In short , It's not for everyone. But. there are a few people who are racists when it comes to hating on rap.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:27 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2007, 02:27 PM #4 of 41
heh... I'm pretty sure Reggaeton isn't music. (It's more like a brain killer sound wave)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:34 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2007, 02:34 PM 1 #5 of 41
Too many people bash rap because all they talk about is "I smoke weed", "My pops is a crack addict",etc. In the Rap game, and I quote from Alchemist, a beat is the first step into making music not just the lyrics cause that can easily be done by any lyricist in the business. Today, no one really likes to listen to the shit now because they repeat the same shit like sex and shit (not that it's a bad thing but the ladies love it so that's a A+ from me ;p) Rap right now isn't that great anyway. The lyrics are garbage, the same surviving rappers are trying to keep it alive such as saigon, nas, jay-z and any other underground rapper besides the legends.

I know a few friends who are white and hispanic (such as myself) and we love to listen to any kind of music that offers a great beat to the ears (for those who are still clueless, Beat = bgm/instrumental/). Most of them listen to that overrated Reggaeton which died a year ago from 2k5-2k6. Obviously if Rappers talk about sucking and fucking, we would all lose interest. Rock was and still is in the same situation. All we have is a shitload of myspace singers who "make it" into the business, god bless them. However, they still suck. They're all in it for the money. And we money accumalates, the same bullshit lyrics/ emo lifestyle lyrics sell more than creative lines. That's what I believe and say to people who don't appreciate rap. It isn't really racism. hope i didn't stray away far from topic =/

In short , It's not for everyone. But. there are a few people who are racists when it comes to hating on rap.
In short, I have an opinion and I don't know how to get it across without ranting about fucking nothing and losing the thread of meaning I was going for.
There. Much more succinct.

Anyway, to touch on Brady's original question. I'm sure on some level it's a racial issue, though I'd be loathe to say the large majority of people who comment "Rap? More like CRap" and then smugly cross their arms and smirk like a prat are racists. I think they're just pop-culture parrots and don't really have a grasp of what they're trying to elucidate.

As an upper middle-class white kid, I didn't come into contact with rap growing up (also born before the boom) and as such, I didn't really get heavy into rap. My education on the genre came later, in my early teens. Gave me a lot of respect for people like Mos Def, Jay Z, RUN DMC etc. Do I like rap? Not especially. Not the majority of the modern stuff, anyway. However, is it any less musical than metal? Nope, not really. So I guess it's only fair to argue it's a cultural (read: often racial) motivation.

I was speaking idiomatically.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2007, 03:53 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2007, 02:53 PM #6 of 41
I don't consider myself racist when I say that rap is not music. Although rap consists of mostly black artists... I don't think white rappers creations are music either.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:11 PM #7 of 41
heh... I'm pretty sure Reggaeton isn't music. (It's more like a brain killer sound wave)
It really isn't. you should look at a million regaetton artists' lyrics. It's the same bullshit they talk about. Even I'm disgusted by it. Doesn't make me a racist though.

@ denacalis : Unfortunately, there are alot of racist people who complain about it. What I mention is something that leans towards his question. Like that one little meeting with Cam'ron XD. Anyway, I felt I'd add a little something to the topic cause not many hispanics/white people understand their style of music. =/

FELIPE NO

Last edited by chato; Nov 9, 2007 at 04:20 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:33 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2007, 03:33 PM #8 of 41
It really isn't. you should look at a million regaetton artists' lyrics. It's the same bullshit they talk about. Even I'm disgusted by it. Doesn't make me a racist though.

@ denacalis : Unfortunately, there are alot of racist people who complain about it. What I mention is something that leans towards his question. Like that one little meeting with Cam'ron XD. Anyway, I felt I'd add a little something to the topic cause not many hispanics/white people understand their style of music. =/

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:13 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2007, 05:13 PM #9 of 41
YouTube Video

About halfway through this video they pretty completely explain how rap is music, just to get that out of the way. Basically, you have to consider the delivery of the lyrics as a type of percussion instrument.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:29 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2007, 06:29 PM #10 of 41
I also for the life of me can't think of any blacks who perform heavy metal.

God Forbid. Suffocation. There's two so far. Sure the proportion of blacks to whites in metal is great, but they're there.

I think rap is music. Maybe not all songs contain all the elements but there are songs that contain a musicial melody, even if it is sampled and there are often choruses, regardless how bad, have a melody and follow a rhythm.

I think it's entirely stupid to define genres by a skin color. Rap is rap. It won't better or worse if a black guy, white guy, yellow guy, green, purple or whatever raps. It will be dependant on his skill and talent. Same thing for any musical genre out there.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Nov 9, 2007, 09:59 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2007, 04:59 AM #11 of 41
Well, there are some rap artists that I could consider being music, I can't say I'm very knowledgeable about the genre, but I think Outkast has some pretty catchy songs. And there are some japanese hip-hop bands that are pretty funky too. Then we have Rage against the machine, but I guess in a sense that is rap metal. And yeah there are some Swedish rap artists that are kinda good. I could have missed someone else cause I'm just not that very fond of the genre.

But other than that, I'd say most of the rap I've heard, especially modern rap, is very much indeed crap. In many cases it's just some crappy beat that anyone could create with a good computer program, a product enveloped in a casing of sex, drugs, gangsta life and overall bad lyrics/performance. It's just about the money nowadays, as it is with a lot of mainstream music. And I totally despise that. Of course, there are always exceptions, as I could totally respect many of the earlier rappers as it wasn't just about money and putting up some gangsta image.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that rap is "black music". Even though black rap artists may be more common, rap is rap. In the beginning jazz and blues was black music. Nowadays you can see both black and white artists in the genres.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:03 AM Local time: Nov 10, 2007, 01:03 AM #12 of 41
I don't give a shit if you think "the niggers are just slapping drums and flashing bling," this is about the attitude which states that rap isn't music.

nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Nov 10, 2007, 06:26 AM Local time: Nov 10, 2007, 01:26 PM #13 of 41
Well sorry then for being a bit off topic

But yeah, I guess what you say is true to an extent. I mean, I guess a lot of people really think this way, even though they don't know about it themselves. I guess this is most apparent among mainstream music likers, where it's a lot about the image artist/bands have and not so much about the music itself because in many cases they all sound the same. I find that the more you go into the more "musical" genres it doesn't matter anymore because it's about the music, while in mainstream music it's in many cases the image the artists create that people go after. So I guess a white racist wouldn't listen to rap because it's "nigga music" like many people would say. So I'd say that those who think this way surely are holding back artists products because of their own racist perspective on things. I think it's stupid, but people can be blind to this matter if they want to, they're the ones losing out on it after all.

In many cases I think some people don't like rap or heavy metal because some people generally say it's crap and automatically they think the same even though they haven't given it a chance themselves. Common human behavior.

Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:07 PM #14 of 41
Doesn't even matter because Rap is dead. It was good..at one point, atleast to me. Until posers started flooding it with crap. If people dont see it as music, I don't really blame them.

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:47 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2007, 06:47 PM 1 #15 of 41
There is no means for classification which states 'music MUST be this or that' in order to be called music. Is rap a form of music? Yes.
Do I like rap? No, but that's only because it has become more about the nature of materialism than the ideal of music itself. However, it is still music just as much as anything else can still be called music.

Is it racist not to consider rap as a form of music? Probably not racist, but definitely ignorant.

FELIPE NO
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:49 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2007, 04:49 PM #16 of 41
Pretty simple if you ask me. Two white guys listen to the same rap track.

Guy 1: This is total garbage.
Guy 2: This is why I hate niggers.

Either would be perfectly comfortable stating rap isn't music. Obviously, #2's dislike of rap is racially charged. But what's being discussed here is whether or not guy 1 is being so unintentionally? No, he's not. As long as dislike of rap isn't fueled by a deeper rooted hate.

If he was pushing it as factual by technical definition, his invalidation would be completely wrong and, yes, ignorant, but not necessarily racial. However, stating it in the casual sense, rap isn't music being his opinion that it has no merit at all to him, as long as his reasoning is due to his tastes and not that it's colored people's music, I'd think the guy makes the grade.

Racist to only listen to white rap artists? Situationally, there might be an argument for that, but because of the genre, I'd say it generally isn't. Lyrical style and delivery is visibly influenced by background in rap than in many genres. It only makes sense what relates better to who is going to be about race at times.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:09 PM #17 of 41
I think no one can really say Rap isn't music but that doesn't mean it's good music. I like very little rap music, I hate the rest of it.

As for the topic does saying rap isn't music make you racist? No, because that's like saying if you hate a specific black person then you're racist. That's not how it works, while that specific black person might claim your racist since you hate them, they'd be wrong. Honestly I know several black people that hate rap music more then just about any white person, so if hating rap makes you racist that would mean they're racist against themselves?

Most amazing jew boots

"Out thought and out fought."
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:02 PM #18 of 41
I think no one can really say Rap isn't music but that doesn't mean it's good music. I like very little rap music, I hate the rest of it.

As for the topic does saying rap isn't music make you racist? No, because that's like saying if you hate a specific black person then you're racist. That's not how it works, while that specific black person might claim your racist since you hate them, they'd be wrong. Honestly I know several black people that hate rap music more then just about any white person, so if hating rap makes you racist that would mean they're racist against themselves?
Well said. What if this thread was about opera? Just because you hate opera doesn't make you a.... racist??.. on opera people.
Rap is music, it's just that the way the lyrics are spoken doesn't follow the melody of the instruments.

Most amazing jew boots
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Nov 12, 2007, 05:30 AM Local time: Nov 12, 2007, 05:30 AM #19 of 41
Racist to only listen to white rap artists? Situationally, there might be an argument for that, but because of the genre, I'd say it generally isn't. Lyrical style and delivery is visibly influenced by background in rap than in many genres. It only makes sense what relates better to who is going to be about race at times.
What I'm getting at is that we're conditioned willingly or not, to associate these kinds of genres across a racial divide. There is a certain package of goods that are acceptable to whites and a package of goods acceptable to blacks. If you're black and listen to metal you could be accused of being a house nigger. If you're white and listen to rap you could be accused of being a wigger.

If a white person claims that rap isn't music, it may not necessarily racist, but I think that more often than not it's motivated by the implication that the commentator is expected not to like rap either because of his race or class identity.

Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2007, 06:04 PM #20 of 41
Great, now it's not enough that we have latent/closet racists, casual racists, institutionalized racists, we now have latent-music-bias-racists!

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 08:19 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 05:19 AM #21 of 41
I do get your point clearer now. It's a lose/lose situation. Defy convention and have it seen as a race betrayal. Go with it and be seen as a stereotype.

When it doesn't seem to be an obsession upon the person, shun or unconditionally love rap, I don't think an eye is batted about this issue. I think it's perfectly common and accepted currently towards American culture to give rap its proper due. The places I frequent in my town are largely a white crowd but the jukebox is playing black artist, rap or r&b, a majority of the time. Popular music trends seem to be smiling on rap as well.

Though wigger may have a major negative implication, you know when you see a fresh faced white kid with his pants around his knees and an oversized Rasheed Wallace jersey flashing gang signs, that's the label just about anyone applies. It's a nasty one. But, ideally, I'd like to think that categorizations like this speaks to the shallowness of the individual rather than a line that shouldn't be crossed. Everyone should be able to be cultured without judgment. But it rings hallow, absorption to an absurd point that is visibly disingenuous. The worst examples in both extremes probably cast their shadow on harmless personal opinion that are not swayed by expectations of taste by skin tone. There is a divide. It's personal acknowledgment of it that varies. Your perception of others' is as important as your own stance to quell the racial issue.

Admittedly, I'm also suggesting that assuming the worst in others may not be wrong. Not citing race as a sole cause, but as a catalyst towards unevaluated dishonesty.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hopeā„¢

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:04 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 01:04 AM 1 1 #22 of 41
It's not racist to claim rap isn't music, it's just fucking stupid.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 02:35 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 02:35 AM #23 of 41
Great, now it's not enough that we have latent/closet racists, casual racists, institutionalized racists, we now have latent-music-bias-racists!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wise people are so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell

FELIPE NO
Six Machine
Let's have activities!

Member 1127

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:21 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2007, 11:21 PM 1 #24 of 41
Mainstream rap is dogshit. I'd rather listen to someone fart into a microphone for 5 minutes than some moron yelling "SUPE-SOAK THAT HOOOOOOOOO." No other genre of so-called music not only accepts being a complete idiot but encourages it.

When rappers use the medium to actually tell a story or talk about something that matters is when rap becomes decent music. Sadly for the industry that's a very small percentage of the time these days.

Last edited by Six Machine; Nov 28, 2007 at 01:22 AM. Reason: lol
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2007, 05:58 PM #25 of 41
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wise people are so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Interesting quote, but I'm not sure how it applies to what I wrote...?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] "Rap Isn't Music"