Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Take a ride in my Chevy while you drink your Pepsi in the mug I bought at Target

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:50 PM #1 of 5
Take a ride in my Chevy while you drink your Pepsi in the mug I bought at Target

Now that consumers can fast forward advertisements on TV and generally ignore them everywhere else, corporations are turning to product placement in movies and TV to grab your attention. How does everyone feel about this?

As long as the product is integrated seamlessly into the plot and they don't beat me over the head with it, I don't care that much. If a character happens to be drinking a Coke (they don't even mention it, but you can see the logo on the can), I'm fine with that. However, on TV especially, some programs go laughably out of their way to make their programs an infomercial for a specific product.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2007, 03:21 PM Local time: Aug 28, 2007, 02:21 PM #2 of 5
As long as it is not disruptive, I think that product placement goes a long ways to help foster suspension of disbelief. When I'm sitting there watching Die Hard 4 and there are like 10 LCDs on the screen and half of them are playing the Gears of War title screen, I am thinking how silly that is. When I'm sitting there watching Disturbia and dude is under house arrest and is playing GRAW 2 on his 360, and actually PLAYING it, I am thinking to myself that this is something that a real suburban kid would probably be doing if he were under house arrest.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2007, 03:54 PM Local time: Aug 28, 2007, 12:54 PM #3 of 5
There were advertisements on every single fold-down table on the last flight I took.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Aug 28, 2007, 04:40 PM Local time: Aug 28, 2007, 04:40 PM 1 #4 of 5
Terminator 2 has an interesting part where a man is holding a pepsi?, I think. The logo is very clear and visible. Then the T 1000 starts shooting, filling both the man and the pepsi full of bullet holes. There was something very deep about that and it CAN be looked at as a direct shot at consumerism.

I generally think that ads can be done tastefully. If that is the case, then I don't see the problem with them. I don't watch tv because its less about programs and more about commercials, informercials and advertisements. Screw that.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:23 PM #5 of 5
Usually I'm fine with it as long as it serves the story... Just don't let Michael Bay handle product placement. Good lord what a fucking retard that man is.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] Take a ride in my Chevy while you drink your Pepsi in the mug I bought at Target