Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?? O_O

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 09:32 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 03:32 PM #1 of 17
HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?? O_O

Well, so here's the question I hope nobody has asked here before:

or

You know, HD-DVD players are *cough* a bit expensive (I think I can get a Toshiba one for about 700 bux here), and I heard that PS3 can play Blu-Ray DVDs, PLUS I get a cool gaming console

Have you guys made any experience with those two formats yet?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 10:46 AM #2 of 17
After carefully examining the evidence, I've decided that both formats are the Laserdisc of the 2000's (i.e. for enthusiasts only). As such, I won't be buying either.

First, you need a good HD TV to get any kind of higher resolution with the discs. I personally don't own and can't afford an HD set, which I suspect is the case with many others.

Second, I've seen demo units in action, as well as some side-by-side comparisons with regular DVD's, and the effect simply isn't noticible enough. To quote James Berardinelli, the quality jump between VHS and DVD was far more noticible than the jump between regular and high def DVD. I just can't see enough of a difference.

Finally, the DVD cases are a different size and don't fit in with my collection. That's a silly thing, yes, but psychologically important.

As to which format will win, I'd stake my money on Blu-Ray, largely because it's currently cheaper. But the fact that the buying public at large is indifferent to High def DVD is one of the reasons that the PS3 has fared so poorly--it's just not that much of a selling point to most people.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by orion_mk3; May 13, 2007 at 11:40 AM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 10:57 AM #3 of 17
After carefully examining the evidence, I've decided that both formats are the Laserdisc of the 2000's (i.e. for enthusiasts only). As such, I won't be buying either.

First, you need a good HD TV to get any kind of higher resolution with the discs. I personally don't own and can't afford an HD set, which I suspect is the case with many others.
That's the #1 reason why these formats are going to have a hard time reaching the market penetration of DVD.

Quote:
Second, I've seen demo units in action, as well as some side-by-side comparisons with regular DVD's, and the effect simply isn't noticible enough. To quote James Berardinelli, the quality jump between VHS and DVD was far more noticible than the jump between regular and High def DVD. I just can't see enoung of a difference
And this is the second. Joe sixpack will try to get the cheapest HDTV he can get, which is often worse than average SD sets. Then there's the myriad of settings you need to tweak to get a good picture (or even HD resolutions).

In the end, the image or audio quality gains aren't enough to warrant putting that much money into a HDTV + player.

Quote:
Finally, the DVD cases are a different size and don't fit in with my collection. That's a silly thing, yes, but psychologically important.
You answered this one yourself, it's a silly thing. These aren't DVDs, why would they have DVD cases?

Quote:
As to which format will win, I'd stake my money on Blu-Ray, largely because it's currently cheaper. But the fact that the buying public at large is indifferent to High def DVD is one of the reasons that the PS3 has fared so poorly--it's just not that much of a selling point to most people.
There's rumblings that Universal will go neutral, essentially robbing HD-DVD of one of the last exclusive studios it had. Most people just want this format war to be over. Those that are following it, anyway.

Oh, and the PS3? There's a very easy explanation for what's happening there: $599

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; May 10, 2007 at 11:00 AM.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 11:12 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 06:12 PM #4 of 17
You answered this one yourself, it's a silly thing. These aren't DVDs, why would they have DVD cases?
He didn't say they should have DVD cases, he said the problem is that the cases are a different size (for no good reason, since the actual discs are 12 cm in diameter, just like regular CDs and DVDs).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 11:20 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 04:20 PM #5 of 17
In some ways HD disks remind me of older technology like the mini disk, the power glove and the sega mega CD. The potential is there, but I think they're trying to force HD on the technology world before it's ready for it the need a new tv reason alone is proof enough, it might become the general standard in the future but for now it's too soon imo.

It's not even as if it's a replacement technology since most people will still be using dvd movies, if anything this seems more like a way to seperate the pros from the novice game/film makers I guess

edit: is this the most blatent hidden HD advert ever or is it just me?
YouTube Video

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by S_K; May 10, 2007 at 11:37 AM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 11:42 AM #6 of 17
He didn't say they should have DVD cases, he said the problem is that the cases are a different size (for no good reason, since the actual discs are 12 cm in diameter, just like regular CDs and DVDs).
There's plenty of good reasons, one of which is that the average consumer is an idiot and will mistakenly buy the DVD version instead of the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray one they had intended on purchasing. Cue different sized cases, transparent plastic, red/blue color schemes, etc...

Quote:
In some ways HD disks remind me of older technology like the mini disk, the power glove and the sega mega CD. The potential is there, but I think they're trying to force HD on the technology world before it's ready for it the need a new tv reason alone is proof enough, it might become the general standard in the future but for now it's too soon imo.

It's not even as if it's a replacement technology since most people will still be using dvd movies, if anything this seems more like a way to seperate the pros from the novice game/film makers I guess
The motion picture industry's taking advantage of the shift to digital televisions that should be coming up soon, by making a new format for those sets. It's the best time to introduce a sucessor to DVD with anti-piracy features that DVD lacked.

Though you could say the government is forcing people to abandon their old analog sets for digital ones, come the switch.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 12:13 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 06:13 PM #7 of 17
There's plenty of good reasons, one of which is that the average consumer is an idiot and will mistakenly buy the DVD version instead of the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray one they had intended on purchasing. Cue different sized cases, transparent plastic, red/blue color schemes, etc...
I dunno but when I want to buy a HD-DVD (for like 30 bux) or a Blu-Ray disc, I don't think that I mistakenly buy the ordinary DVD

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 12:22 PM #8 of 17
I dunno but when I want to buy a HD-DVD (for like 30 bux) or a Blu-Ray disc, I don't think that I mistakenly buy the ordinary DVD
Quote:
Chances are, if you're posting on an internet message board, you're probably not the average consumer. These are people that know little else beyond the formats except that they're HD and one is red and the other's blue.

Edit: IMO, this is due to the related industries doing a poor job of informing consumers. On the PC front, the drives are pretty pricey and you need a good system to run a video @ 720p without the computer choking. Then the fact that you need a graphics card with HDCP compliant outputs and a monitor that won't have handshake issues with the card. All that just to play an HD-DVD/BR movie on your computer.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Metal Sphere; May 10, 2007 at 12:39 PM.
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 01:30 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 10:30 AM #9 of 17
I have a 56" HDTV. In my opinion, my upconverting dvd player is fine, but I don't know who's going to win the war. Blue Ray has an edge because of the PS3, but Microsoft and many other companies are backing HD-DVD.

Either way I'll have both players because of the PS3. And the Toshiba Super Upconverting XA2 Player.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=2UOJOTG3P49KX

Personally I don't care who wins. The Matrix Trilogy however is being released for HD-DVD this month.

Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 01:50 PM #10 of 17
Well, this should throw a kink in things. Walmart is now officially supporting HD-DVD, with a ~$200 player available this Christmas. See, this is where it gets really interesting. As five out of eight major studios have already decided to support Blu-Ray, they now have to either back out of that agreement and support both (or only HD-DVD), or continue to only support Blu-Ray, and lose Wal-Mart's business.

Source: http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback184.html
(someone help an internet newb, how do I hide the url in a word?)
Won't change much, to be honest seeing as how similarly priced BR players will also be out this fall. It's also been outpacing HD-DVD in hardware and software sales by a good margin and has far more support from studios as well as on the PC and hardware side of things.

Honestly, I wish it was as easy as Mr. Enderle put it. Walmart declares winner, all this dumb shit is over.

What the? Crunchy, you sure that's definite news? Here's PC Magazine a few days later with Walmat saying "Umm, no"

Source

Source

Quote:
Why bother having to deal with that stuff. I've downloaded the Babel HD-DVD and played it straight off my laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400) just fine. Soon, there will be programs that will help the average consumer copy an HD-DVD or Bluray with a minimum of technical know-how needed. Once it's ripped, you just play it off your harddrive and leave the restrictions on equipment in the dust, slaughtered, mutilated, filleted, cut up, and trounced into the ground.
Most consumers are not that tech savvy, that's the bottom line. You want them to download, rip, etc... when they can't even figure out you need an HDMI cable to get HD resolutions from most devices?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; May 10, 2007 at 02:03 PM.
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 01:51 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 01:51 PM #11 of 17
If Wal-Mart is playing a hand in the game, then HD-DVD is going to win the battle against Blu-Ray. Wal-Mart accounts for almost 80% of movies and music sold in the US (unfortunately), and if studios don't play by their rules, they stand to lose millions (if not billions).

HD-DVD does have a noticeable difference in quality, if you have the right setup for it. You need a very expensive television (most likely one from the same manufacturer as your HD-DVD player so that compatibility is maximized). It's a very expensive upgrade for something that may not be highly valued. I don't think that it's worth the price tag right now, but if you give it a year or two and see the prices of the TVs, players and discs go down, it'll become more common.

Blu-Ray is a wash, just like every other Sony proprietary format that they've tried to force on the public. Stay away from Blu-Ray players...and only get a PS3 if you want the games.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 02:05 PM #12 of 17
I look at it this way: It's taken forever just to get everything I want to come out on JUST the DVD format. So by the time these two formats become relevent, it'll be another 3-4 years before all the stuff I want gets released (or re-released) in super-expensive format and even then, some might be HD-DVD, some might be Blu-Ray. Not worth it for upgraded visuals and sound (which are fine anyway and in some cases, probably won't matter if the original masters of the material is shit anyway)

Besides, DVD has already taken care of the archival issue of VHS tapes, so that's one major selling point these new formats don't have.

Translation: I'm happy with my trusty DVD/VHS deck. Maybe after I'm clearing $50,000 a year and I feel I need for something to complement a $3000 60-70" Hd-TV which I'd be using to entertain guests on a regular basis, I'll care.

Most amazing jew boots
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 02:09 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 08:09 PM #13 of 17
Either way I'll have both players because of the PS3. And the Toshiba Super Upconverting XA2 Player.
Even though you save 200 bucks, this is still way too expensive in my opinion. Just because of the HD-DVD option, I dunno... I think (i.e. hope) it will become cheaper over the next few months. If there's really no HUGE difference between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, I think I'll wait for the PS3 to become a bit cheaper, because then, I'd have a game console, too

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chiribo

Syklis Green

Member 2240

Level 8.06

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 02:41 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 08:41 PM #14 of 17
I've personally started showing my support for Blu-ray, simply because I have a PS3 and have no desire to get any sort of HDDVD player.

For people that don't notice the difference, well chances are the demo units then that you saw weren't configured correctly, be it wrong cables or wrong resolution selected on the TV (unless it was all connected via HDMI) and then there's always the whole distance issue.

I've currently got my PS3 connected to my Dell2405 monitor so it is displaying the full 1080i picture (no 1080p due to lack of HDCP on the monitor ) and I'm really enjoying it, the difference between a normal DVD and a HD source is instantly noticble for me personaly and to boot, Blu-ray currently has more movies out for it compared to HD-DVD.

Now just for The Matrix to come out on Blu-ray and I'll be a happy geek =]

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
May contain traces of sarcasm, cynicism and pink fluffy bunnies
Malahk Angel
Hooray Beer!

Member 9195

Level 8.84

Jun 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 01:15 PM #15 of 17
I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass, as DVD has been just fine for me. If I had to choose, though, I'd go with HD-DVD. Blu-Ray is simply pointless to put a movie on. No matter how high the picture quality is, I find it very doubtful that it (along with the myriad of special features you see on Special Edition DVDs) would take up the massive amount of space on a Blu-Ray disc. On top of that, it's really just another example of Sony stuffing proprietary formats down our throats.

FELIPE NO
If there is evil in this world, it lies within the hearts of mankind.
pianoman1
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 28877

Level 2.25

Mar 2008

Old Apr 10, 2008, 01:26 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2008, 01:26 PM #16 of 17
blu ray is the way to go, why not boost up your points

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by pianoman1; Apr 10, 2008 at 03:21 PM.
Elmoogle
Review your CD, slacker!

Member 174

Level 11.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2008, 01:31 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2008, 01:31 PM 3 #17 of 17
blu ray is the way to go
Really? Seeing as how the competition is dead and conversation in this thread ended a year ago, I must conclude that you are some sort of evil wizard.

BEGONE FOLLOWER OF AKALAMENTH.

This picture of a My Little Pony represents my failure to review the Mix CD that was sent to me. Like this image, I am a shining beacon of shame and disgrace.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [General Discussion] HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?? O_O